Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ New Baggage II ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The sun rose the next morning. The crew prepared to leave. Ryuji put his bag on his back.
"Ready to go?" he asked. The girls frowned at him. A puzzled look came over his face.
"What?" he asked.
"Can't we eat first?" Hisako asked. Ryuji looked on at her.
"What do you mean?" he asked. "We have to get going now?"
"But, I'm so hungry," the animal girl complained.
"We can pick up something along the way," he said. "Let's go, now!" Now, his sister frowned at him.
"Ryuji-kun," she said. "We can't leave just yet." Her brother blinked at her.
"Huh?" he asked. "What do you mean?"
"It would be just rude to leave after this family took good care of us," she said. The younger brother frowned.
"Yeah, but if we don't move now, it'll be too late!" he said.
"Besides," Haruko said. "We haven't had breakfast yet."
"So?" the boy asked. "We can just pick up something on..." At that point, his own stomach grumbled. *Sweat drop on Ryuji's head as he chuckled aloud*
"Uh... I guess we could stay for breakfast," he mumbled. The girls grew real happy.
"Yes!" Hisako cheered. Ryuji hung his head, defeated. I give up!, he thought.
Breakfast was simple for a farewell. Cold fried rice isn't bad considering how long it would be before they had another meal like this. Hisako and Coni gobbled up their food. Ryuji sneered at them as they did so.
I don't understand why that mutt has to eat at the table with us!, he thought. He's a freaking dog! Put him outside! Hisako glared at him as if she had read his mind just now. Ryuji stuck his tongue out at her.
"Say, where is Kasumi-san?" Haruko asked. The other two paused and looked up at her.
"Come to think of it, I haven't seen her either," Ryuji said. He looked around for a bit. "Think she left already?" The girls shook their heads.
"Did someone call me?" they heard a familiar voice ask them. Everyone looked up to see Kasumi with Kameko by her side, walking into the dining room.
"Where were you?" Ryuji asked. "And why is she with you?" Kasumi looked down at her new friend. She gave her a gentle pat on the head.
"I stayed with Kameko-chan here last night," she said. "She's decided to come with us." Everyone else looked at her in shock.
"What?!?" the girls asked her. Kameko stepped forward.
"I hope you will take care of me," she said with a bow. Asuka looked over at his grandmother in the kitchen.
"Is this really okay?" he asked. "I thought you were against looking for the Cove! What is this?" The old lady stepped out into the living room.
"I still am," she said.
"But why?" the boy asked. The old lady came to stand with the crew at the table.
"I trust my granddaughter in this lady's care," she replied with a bow. The others all turned back to Kasumi and Kameko. The warrior woman stepped forward.
"I thank you!" she said with a bow. The others took this to be so with doubt attached to it.
"Kasumi-san," Ryuji spoke up. "You're sure about this?" The woman gave him a solid nod. The boy drew his mouth closed as he sat back into place.
"Okay then...." he mumbled to himself before stuffing more rice into his mouth. Kameko only bowed again.
"I thank you again," she said.
Chapter Twenty: New Baggage II