Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Southern Movers ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The group from the north wasn't the only people looking for the Cove. The people in the South had a different motivation. The various rains left that part of the region in ruins. Many struggled to pick up the pieces and rebuild. One such village had lost everything. The grounds became too muddy to cultivate any crops. Local and big businesses went bust one by one. No one really had time to take a decent bath because they were too busy with work. The youth, bored with all the destruction and endless process of reconstruction, found new odd and sometimes destructive ways to pass the time.
Shasha lied on a pile of sticks, staring at the sky. The thick grey clouds above hinted that more rain would come. She shook her head and glanced at a shop being rebuilt.
Why do they bother?, she thought, It'll probably get destroyed again. A drop landed on her cheek. Shasha winced as a reaction. She looked up to see a round, tan face grinning at her. The girl narrowed her eyes at it.
"Hi, Emmit," she muttered. The friend laughed aloud at her bored tone.
"Are Amos and them bored with blowing up things?" she asked. Emmit nodded at her.
"Pretty much," he said.
"Now what's he going nothing to do?"
"Pretty much."
Shasha narrowed her eyes at him. "So you come to me for entertainment instead?"
"Pretty much."
"But why?"
Emmit shook his head, grinning. Shasha frowned. "Figures," she mumbled. Then, she sat up and turned to him. "I'm getting tired of this place," she complained. Shasha climbed off the pile of sticks and started walking. Her pal followed close behind.
"So where are we going?" Emmit asked.
"Where else?" she asked.
"Oh..." he mumbled.
"Look around us," Shasha went on. "Every time we try to get back up, more rain just washes it away. Pretty pointless, you know?" Emmit nodded as he followed behind. They stepped over smooth stones and cut to the left.
"Nobody really cares anymore," Shasha complained. "They just need to leave this village. It's dead anyway!" Emmit went over the big log first and then helped his friend over.
"Thank you," she said. Emmit nodded at her again. They continued with their walk. Shasha shook her head.
"It's so stupid," she mumbled. "I hate this dying village."
"Then, why not just live?" her friend asked. The girl turned to him with a serious look on her face.
"What?" she asked, "And go where?" The boy shrugged. Shasha shook her head.
"As much as that thought annoys me," she went on, "It looks like we don't have any other choice."
"So, we'll leave?" Emmit asked her. Shasha sighed and rolled her eyes.
"Like we have a choice," she said, "Fine, we'll just go and leave." Emmit perked up and smiled at her. Shasha looked up at the endless trees above. He was just dying to hear me say that, wasn't he?, she thought. That girl couldn't complain, though. She wanted to get away as much as he did. Shasha turned back to her friend.
"So, when do you want to leave?" she asked. The girl looked and saw the eager look in her friend's eye. Her own eyes widened.
"Wait? Now?" she asked. Emmit nodded at her like an excited little puppy.
"Wow, you want to get out here that badly, huh?" she asked. Shasha glanced down at her feet in thought. She looked back up at her friend.
"And go where?" she asked.
"The Cove!" Emmit replied. Shasha shook her head at him.
"No, it's just a myth," she said. However, she noticed her friend's face particularly begging her.
"I'm telling you," she said, "It doesn't exist. It's just a myth. We won't find it!" The look in Emmit's eyes didn't change.
"It's not real!" Shasha yelled. The look still didn't change in his eyes. At last, his friend sighed and dropped her shoulders.
"Fine," she mumbled. "We'll check it out!" Emmit perked up and hugged her wildly. The girl tried to push him off.
"Get off," she mumbled, "Let's just get out of here." Shasha turned to leave. "Let's just go," she mumbled. Emmit followed behind with a huge grin on his face.
Chapter Twenty-Five: Southern Movers