Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Rainy Night In ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
There is a storm outside tonight. The forecast called him an all-night rain too. Even more so, they would be calling for three days worth of rain. Business can't really run because of it. It didn't matter to the travelers at first. Hisako stared out the window.
"Look at it coming down, Coni," she whispered to her dog. Her pet panted in response. Hisako reached over and patted him on the head. She paused when she heard a small shuffle behind her. The girl glanced over her shoulder to see Kasumi holding her sword close to her chest.
"What's wrong, Kasumi-san?" she asked.
"He's here," the older woman mumbled. The younger girl and the dog tilted their heads at her.
"What are you talking about?" Hisako asked, "Who's here?" The woman didn't answer her. A chill raced through her gut. She hoped that she was wrong tonight.
Meanwhile, Shasha and Ryuji watched the rain as well. The boy glanced over at his new friend.
"How long is it supposed to stay like this?" he asked.
"I heard three days," Shasha replied. Ryuji looked at her puzzled with big eyes.
"Three days?" he asked, "Three days?" The girl gave him a small nod.
"Yeah," she said.
"That long?" I asked. Shasha blinked at him.
"You don't get that much rain?" she asked, "Where are you from?"
"Koho Village," he replied, "And what about you?"
"The sticks," she said. Ryuji's face dropped.
"Oh," he said. Shasha narrowed her eyes at him.
"Why do you say it like that?" she asked in a sharp tone.
"Like what?" the boy asked.
"We're not hicks!" she barked.
"I didn't say you were!" Ryuji yelled.
"No," Shasha hissed, hitting his arm, "You were looking at me funny when you said, 'oh'."
"I did not!" he barked.
"Yes, you did!" she said back. Ryuji was about to argue back when he paused.
"Shhh," he whispered, "Did you see that?"
"What?" his little friend asked. Instead of answering, Ryuji crawled over to the big window.
"What's wrong?" Shasha whispered. She crawled over to look out with him. A line of lights walked through the dirt road in the rain. In the middle two lines revealed a dark red silk top. The men holding the lights were dressed in black robes as they walked to the inns. They all seemed to be looking for something or rather someone. Shasha turned to her new friend.
"Who is that?" she asked. Ryuji kept his eyes on the passing carriage below. Something in gut told him that something bad was following close behind.
Chapter Thirty-Two: Rainy Night In: