Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Soldiering On ( Chapter 58 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kasumi pressed her hand to her forehead. She took in a deep breath as she realized what was happening. He's doing this to me, she thought. Kasumi slowly opened her eyes. She couldn't let herself fall victim to his mind games again. Still, she had a greater worry to deal with. Where were Ryuji, Haruko, and ther others? What if he got to them? The warrior woman shook her head. I can't think about that now. I have to try and get myself back together. She could still feel the effects of the spell on her. Kasumi closed her eyes to tune out the wailing.

I have to stay focused. It wasn't my fault. It wasn't my fault. Kasumi began taking small steps forward. Small shots of pain burst through her small feet. Kasumi took in deep breaths to stop the screaming. She covered her mouth for extra measure. Where is everyone? She had to blink out the pain from her eyes. The warrior had to close them and walk forward. She tried to clear her mind of the wails around her.

You will not get me! Shut up! Kasumi gritted her teeth. She listened through the wails and darkness to guide her way out of the woods. Her feet made a small splash. The cooling sensation was enough to make everything go quiet in her head. Kasumi opened her eyes and saw thee hazy glow of fireflies floating around her. Their tiny glows put her heart at ease. Fond memories filled her head as she reached out to touch one of them. When her fingers came close, the firefly flew away. Kasumi shook her head.

I have to keep moving. Kasumi dragged herself through the shallow river. Despite it being summer, she felt so cold. Kasumi put her arms around her body and trembled. She looked up at the sky as she walked. The tall trees even blocked out the moon. Kasumi didn't know where she was going, but felt that she had to keep moving. I won't let him kill anymore of my friends. I will not run away! Kasumi gulped and pressed her lips together. She listened to the brush as she walked. Come on, guys! Where are you? She froze when she heard a rustling noise in the brush. Kasumi turned her head.

"Hello?" she asked. Kasumi moved her hand to her sword and waited. "Come out anddd dshow yourself!"

"Kasumi-san?" a small voice asked. The warrior woman paused.

"Haruko?" she asked. Her friend poked her head out of the bush. She gasped, covering her mouth.

"It is you!" she said. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Kasumi said. She looked around Haruko. "Where's Hisako and Ryuji?"

"I don't know," the younger girl said. "We got seperated in this black haze. When I got out, I was alone." A twitch of fear flashed across Kasumi's face.

"What did you say?" she asked.

"After you wandered off, we went looking for you. Then this black cloud surrounded us." She noticed her friend trembled. "What's the matter?" Kasumi broke down trembling.

"No, no!" she shouted.

"What's wrong?" Haruko asked. Kasumi grabbed her by the hand.

"We have to find them now!" she shouted. Haruko tried to run after her in the woods.

"Slow down!" she yelled. "You're hurting my arm! Kasumi, where are we going?!" Her friend didn't listen as they ran into the darkness.

Chapter Fifty-Seven: Soldiering On: