Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Fang and Fur ❯ Cave ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
chap 5

Rhea knelt down and traced lines and patterns on the map with her finger, Daven looked into the skies, watching Yuna leave. "So, uh, how long have you and her known each other?" he asked. "Hm, oh, just a couple days. Why?" she asked distractedly, focused on the map. "Oh, just curious, you two seem really close." Daven said. "Hm..." Rhea replied. Yuna returned a couple hours later her cheeks flushed from the blood. "Feel better?" Rhea asked looking up for the first time, and Daven smiled. "Yes, but the sun will rise soon so I will be going to bed." she said, glancing at Daven for a brief second. "Really, dawn already?" she asked standing and stretching. "Well, about thirty minutes away is another cave and it's en route. We can camp there." She said, folding the map and pocketing it. Yuna nodded and they headed towards where Rhea had seen it on the map.
They had gone about thirty minutes when Rhea stopped and started routing around in a bush. "Uh, what are you doing?" Daven asked. "Looking for the cave. Here we are." she said, pulling part of the bush aside to reveal a narrow opening that hid a wide, tall, deep cave. Perfect to avoid the sunlight and any unwelcome visitors. "Ah, sleep at last." Yuna said sleepily, going to the darkest corner and curling up against the rock, wondering vaguely how Rhea had known the cave was hidden behind a bush. Rhea smiled, and tucked the maps away in Davens' rucksack. "OK, you sleep, I'm going to go explore. Be back in a bit." Rhea said, following a tunnel that led through the cave. "M'kay." Yuna muttered, slipping into a comfortable, dreamless sleep.
In the tunnel, Rhea followed the long, dark, familiar passageways. The Labyrinth in which she had lived her entire miserable, tortured existence no longer held any fear for her, therefore no more power over her. But it did hold many painful and dark memories. She paused every now and then as she remembered and seemed to mentally re-live some of the moments. She finally stopped and looked up where a trap door loomed invitingly and ominously overhead. Her eyes were well adjusted to the ominous, forbidding darkness, so pushed open the trap door and climbed through it into a dark, musty room.