Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Hayabusa Abumi Must Die! ❯ Episode 8: Catching a Wave ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

XxXxXx

Hayabusa Abumi Must Die!

By: Melissa Norvell

Episode 8: Catching a Wave

XxXxXx

Ikkouku ran as she quickly glanced over to her fish friend. The pirate had a few puzzling questions on her mind and she wanted nothing more than to rid herself of them. "Hey, I have a question for you?"

"Yes?" Zatani answered.

"If the curse turned you into a fish, then why can you breathe air? I mean, wouldn't you have the internal organs of a fish?" The lavender-haired girl was wondering about that. It seemed impossible for a fish to breathe air, considering their gills and internal organs prevent them from doing so.

"Something happened when the curse broke. Somehow, my cells were spliced in some way. My general make-up is more like that of an amphibian than a completely aquatic animal," Zatani explained. It was a freak happening that he really couldn't explain, but that was the closest thing to an explanation that he could come up with that even made the least bit of sense.

"That's weird," Ikkouku wasn't complaining. It was far easier to keep him alive this way, and he would not be so dependent on water to survive.

"In a way, those idiots saved my life." Now that he thought about it, Zatani was happy that they split up the beam, otherwise, he'd be croaking on the deck of the ship and cooking in the sun.

"I don't care," the pirate was scornful. "If they are the enemy, then they can't be trusted." It wasn't as if they saved him on purpose.

"I know."

"After we get these intruders, we need to figure out how to break this curse you have. The books down below should tell us something about this Curse of the Dead Fish," Ikkouku noted. She would have to look into them after she put an end to that insane female and the meddling boy who was with her.

"Right," Zatani agreed as the two of them dashed off in search for the said intruders.

This finally allowed Ruri and Abumi to step out of their hiding places. The both of them were relieved to be out of that tight-fitting box. They rubbed their sore bodies and groaned in pain.

"Talk about a crick in my neck," Ruri rubbed the back of her neck. Being stuck in that horrible, uncomfortable position gave her new types of pains.

"A crick in your neck? Your head was sticking out in plain sight!" Abumi yelled in anger. It was no wonder that they didn't get caught or even killed.

"Well, she obviously didn't see me," she was proud of herself at that.

"She was looking straight at you!"

"Well, maybe she didn't care," Ruri shrugged. Obviously it didn't bother her that much or she would have come over there.

"Or she's coming back with her pirate crew to kill us," the spiky-haired boy sighed.

"Where is that Moegi girl, anyway?" The orange-haired woman asked as she glanced around for any sight of the school girl. This caused Abumi to take a quick glance around to see if he could see her anywhere around.

"I don't know…but I hope that she didn't get captured." That fact worried the boy a great deal. Who knows what would happen if the pirates got a hold of her. "She flew a way in the opposite direction."

"Yeah…" Ruri sighed. "I guess we'd better go and find her and hope that she didn't get captured." She stated the situation more like a common bother then a serious deal.

"Well, that female pirate headed off in the other direction. So we should be safe sneaking around," Abumi noted. "Unless we have to go back there…Since Moegi flew off over there." He then glanced over.

"The more time we sit around here, the more likely we have to get caught," Ruri commented. They were wasting time. Why not go over and just search? The sooner they got this done, the better.

"Well, you do have a point. Let's get to looking," Abumi agreed as the two started to walk around looked through everything. They turned over boxes, looked into barrels, and even under the fallen debris and so far, they weren't coming up with anything. There wasn't even a shoe of hers anywhere.

"I hope there aren't any men handing around like the ones that we saw," Abumi cautiously looked through a door. There was nothing but a large area of black. "Wow, its dark in here. I wonder if there's anyone in here."

The boy stepped into the room and began to carefully look around through the darkness. Who knew what was lurking around in here, just waiting for him to take a wrong move? Suddenly, he felt something grab his sides.

"Shit!" He cursed and jumped up as his head hit the low ceiling. Then, he heard a familiar cackle.

It was Ruri.

She had grabbed his sides and scared him in the darkness.

"Damn you!" He cursed from his position on the floor. "That's not funny!" He glared at the woman, who was leaned against a wooden pole, holding her stomach.

"Sorry, but you looked so serious! I had to loosen you up!" The woman said in between catching her breath.

"There are pirates on this ship who want to kill us! No telling where they are hiding and you want to loosen me up!?" The boy nearly had a heart attack he stressed out so badly.

"Well, you can't be stressed out over it like that. You've got to have some fun you know." Honestly, Ruri didn't see what the big deal was. There was nothing worth being that serious about.

"Is this your idea of fun?" He growled.

"You've got it," the woman smiled. "If it's not exciting, it's not fun."

"You mean if we don't get killed, it won't be fun."

Ruri waved her hand in dismissal. "Relax, you haven't died yet." Seriously, the boy was always so worked up over the smallest things.

"Yet…that's the key word," Abumi reminded her of the actual danger in that theory.

"Eh, I won't let anyone kill you. I have to kill you first," the woman sneered with a catty expression as she looked at the boy in an almost suggestive manner.

"And what do they do, kick me in the head after I die?" Like things were going to be that simple.

As Abumi finished his sentence, the two of them walked out on to the deck. It was a massive, wooden ship with ragged-looking sails that were black and white in coloration. It had a large point that extended far out into the sea and intricate carvings of angels along the top rim on the tip of the ship.

"This is some ship, huh?" Ruri gazed upon it. It was definitely an impressive sight.

"Yes, it has to be the biggest ship in the harbor," Abumi noted.

"I wonder how many quarters are on this ship."

"I don't see much of any crew," the spiky-haired boy said. He found it a little strange that there were hardly any people on board the ship. It was almost as if he expected someone to jump out at any time. "Minus the two dueling men we saw and I don't even see them anymore."

"How weird. You'd think at least someone would be here to watch this stuff. Man, if I were a thief, an unguarded ship like this would be paradise," the woman smiled darkly at the thought of a plunder that monumental.

"No joke, we could loot the whole ship like this. Where the hell is the captain?" The most important on person on the ship and they were no place to be found.

"Captain? Where the hell is Moegi? She flew so far that she's probably in orbit by now."

"What if she got captured by the pirate crew?" Abumi questioned for the second time. It was as if the orange-haired woman ignored that factor the first time, or easily brushed it off.

"It would explain why she's not here and the crew is gone, but wouldn't there be someone looking for more intruders?" Ruri inquired. This seemed more and more suspicious.

"Right," Abumi agreed. "Makes sense."

"See? I'm not completely dumb."

"I never seen you technically be stupid…You're just…" The boy tried to think of the words.

"Spontaneous? Crazy? Fun?"

"Annoying."

Ruri looked unamused and slightly offended as a bead of sweat ran down her forehead. "Not what I was looking for, but sure. I'll take what I can get."

"Good, because that's all you're going to get from me."

"Be glad that I don't kill you where you stand. Besides, you got us into this mess," Ruri blamed the boy for her current problem. If he would have been dead a long time ago, then she wouldn't have had to go through such problems.

"What?! Me!?" Abumi looked offended and whirled around to look at the crazy woman. Him? How could it be him? She was the one trying to kill him! If she wasn't there, trying to kill him, then he wouldn't have such grief and stress.

"Yes, it's your fault. Deal with it."

Just hearing her words made the boy quiver with anger. He clenched his fists to either side, trying to quell his anger, but then, he stomped off onto the deck. Ruri followed.

"Don't get killed by pirates," she sang in a teasing manner as the boy stepped up one stair and turned around slowly to face her, an irritated look on his face.

"You know what?" He attempted to walk back down the stairs but bashed his head on a low-hanging piece of the ceiling. "Ow! Shit!" He howled as he held his head in pain.

"That's what you get for insulting me," Ruri smiled triumphantly.

"Go to hell!" Abumi shouted and walked away, holding his head.

"With you around, it's an eternity," the woman followed the angry boy.

As they were walking, the dead fish from the curse littered the floor. Abumi walked through them without even noticing them. A few moments after he had gotten into the massive amounts of fish, he stepped on one of them, which caused his feet to go out from under him and before he knew it, he was flat on his back, gazing up at the sky. His head had clashed with the deck, causing him to curse and hold his head in pain once more.

"Damn it!" He curled up in a ball.

"Jeez, watch where you step," Ruri teased. "Don't you know there are dead fish lying around? Clutz…"

"Clutz? I'm not-" Abumi started to gripe, but cut himself short. "Dead fish?" With a confused expression, the black-haired boy glanced around in wonder as he saw all of the dead fish that had littered the ground. Surely, that was what he had tripped on. "Why are there dead fish everywhere?" It was a little strange.

"Does it look like I know? I just got here," Ruri replied sardonically as a brown-haired girl walked in to view and waved.

"Oh! Hi Abumi-kun!" It was Moegi. She had been searching for him everywhere and now that she finally found him, she was relieved. The girl ran over to the both of them, waving with a brilliant smile.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," Ruri smirked. She could already foretell what was going to happen if the girl kept running like that.

"Moegi! No!" Abumi screamed as the girl stepped on one of the fish and fell with an ear piercing scream as she slid across the wooden floor, headed for Abumi and Ruri, who freaked out as they saw what was about to happen.

They both yelled as she collided with them. The three of them ended up being a crumpled heap on the floor, with Ruri on top and Moegi on the bottom, with swirls in her sights.

"Ouch…" The girl murmured.

"That…Didn't feel good," Ruri groaned.

"Well, at least we found her," Abumi tried to look on the good side.

"Yeah…in about six pieces," Ruri replied.

"I found you! Oh, Abumi-kun, are you okay?" The concerned girl asked. After all, she had just slid into him.

"Nobody ask me or anything," she grumbled.

"You were on top!" Both of teens yelled. Why should they ask her when she fell on top of them?

"Well, I couldn't get hurt, you never know."

'What a real pain!' Abumi thought to himself.

Moegi whined. 'I hate this…'

"See?" Ruri smirked. "I win."

"What are all of these fish doing here anyway?" Moegi asked as the three of them sat on the ground and looked across the deck at all of the fish.

"Maybe they were in a barrel that busted on deck," Abumi came up with a possible assumption on the incident.

"But that's a lot of fish for just one barrel," Ruri stated. There had to be at least two or three hundred fish laying there. It was impossible to fit them into one barrel, unless that was one huge barrel.

"Maybe it was more then one. You think?" Moegi glanced to the two of them.

"More than likely," Abumi replied.

"Well, there's obviously no one here. So, what do we do now?" Ruri questioned.

"Go back home," Moegi suggested. "I mean, it really isn't any of our concern." She'd rather be safe than sorry, and on top of that, she didn't have the strength to take on pirates like Abumi and Ruri.

"Well, we could go the easy way or…" She cut herself off and smirked darkly.

'I'm going to listen to it, but I'm not going to like it.' Abumi thought to himself, dreading whatever the woman had to say.

"We should rummage through their stuff."

"What!?!" Moegi shrieked in horror. She wouldn't dream of doing such a thing! They would die for sure if they were caught rummaging through the pirate's belongings.

"Are you serious?" Abumi didn't seem too thrilled with her suggestion either.

"Yes! Come on!" The orange-haired woman shot to her feet with an excited expression. She was ready to go out and cause some trouble. "This is going to be great! We can see what kind of stuff is on this ship."

"You're going to get us killed!" The school girl tried to reason with her, but she knew full well that Ruri was far too crazy and stubborn to listen to her at all.

"Killed,” she smiled. “There's obviously no one here so what harm could it do?" If no one was there, then no one would catch them. It was a simple answer to an easy equation.

"We don't know that," Abumi brought up the possibility of danger once more.

"Yeah, there was this woman walking around the ship earlier," the school girl had remembered when she saw Ikkouku and Zatani walking around. If they were still on the ship, then they definitely posed a threat and she had a feeling that they would definitely kill them if they caught them rummaging through their belongings.

"You saw her too?" Abumi's sights rested on the girl's figure.

"Oh come on! She obviously doesn't care that we're here. I mean, she looked straight at Abumi and I and didn't say a word." Ruri tried to wave the subject off.

"But she was talking about finding someone, and she was talking to a fish," Moegi stated, as if she found it weird that Ikkouku was speaking to her transformed ship mate.

"What?" A weird look crossed Abumi's face. Did she just say…that she was talking to a fish?

"Are you crazy?" Ruri asked with her hands on her hips. Who in their right mind would talk to a fish? Was that pirate delusional?

"No, but you are," Moegi noted that the woman had no right to talk. "I'm telling you! She really was!" She knew how unbelievable it sounded, but she wasn't lying.

"Next you're going to be telling me that the fish was talking back and they had conversations together," Ruri joked.

"They did."

"You're joking, right?" Abumi couldn't really believe it either. "I think when you got fired out of that canon; you lost your damned mind."

"Or did she?" A feminine, tough voice cut through the three's conversation as they turned their heads in unison to see Ikkouku and her fish companion standing above them on the mast of the ship.

The lavender-haired woman looked down on them with a dark smile. "I've finally found you."

To Be Continued…