Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ If it kills me ❯ Package ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

3. PACKAGE
 
As the girl beside me smiled, a hundred questions blurted out in my head.
 
Why am I feeling like this? This is stupid. I shouldn't be distracted like this.
 
I tried to act normal and pretend to listen to Mr. Kress' lecture about Shakespeare. I looked around the room; some girls were taking turns catching a glimpse of me.
 
“Mr. Wolfe, perhaps you can share a line or two from Romeo and Juliet with us?” his tone full of challenge. He must be thinking that I'm just another good-for-nothing heartthrob.
 
I stood up and cleared my throat.
 
Act I, prologue.
Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
Whole misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their parents' strife.
The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love,
And the continuance of their parents' rage,
Which, but their children's end, nought could remove,
Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage;
The which if you with patient ears attend,
What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend.
 
After I finished reciting the lines, everyone in the room was literally shocked and amused at the same time.
 
“Impressive.” Mr. Kress took off his glasses and sat down. I took that as my cue to sit down.
 
“So, are you a poet?” a soft velvet voice said.
 
I looked at where the voice came from and saw the girl beside me smiling.
 
She's much more beautiful as time passes by.
 
“Uh, no. I really…um...usually sound like that.”
 
Why on earth do I find it difficult to speak to her?
 
Her smile turned into a grin. “I guess I'd have to keep up with you now. You're going to be Mr. Kress' favorite now.”
 
I can't help but smile. “Why?”
 
“Well, for one, he's been dying to have an accent like yours.” she grinned again. “And, before you entered this class, I was the most eloquent in this class.”
 
Our conversation was interrupted by the professor's instruction to leave the room; it was time to go already.
 
Much of my time from school was boring, but watching the reactions of the professors when I answered their questions correctly without hesitating was fun. Somehow, I also wished to see the girl in my English class again.
 
My cell phone suddenly rang. Eugene's number flashed on the screen.
 
“Hey, you home yet?” he asked.
 
“No. I'm on my way though.” I started my motorcycle.
 
“Good. The package has been sent. It should be there when you get back to your small cabin.”
 
I accelerated my bike. “Okay. Is there anything else?”
 
I heard my brother chuckle. “How's your first day?”
 
“Well, great. As expected, I caught the attention of almost everyone.”
 
He laughed softly. “Yeah. We always make heads turn. Anyway, Dad said take care.”
 
I felt comforted by what Eugene said. “Thanks. Do you have any clue on what my mission is?”
 
“Of course, it's about the Damians. All our missions are about them. But I don't know who you're target is going to be.”
 
The fact that this is my first mission alone made me feel excited and weary at the same time. “Okay. Thanks, Gene.”
 
“I have to go now. Bye.”
 
Eugene ended the line, not even giving me the chance to say goodbye. I got home within a few minutes, and just like what my brother said, there was a small envelope at my porch. I picked it up and took the memory chip inside it.
 
I hurried off upstairs and turned on my laptop. I took a quick shower while waiting for the contents of the memory chip to upload. I felt hyped up and excited. Now I'm going to get some action.
 
When I got back to my laptop, the image on the screen sent shock waves to every inch of my body.
 
 
A/N: What do you think of the first three chapters? Do you like me to continue the story? Please review! Thanks! :)