Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ If it kills me ❯ First Sight ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

2. FIRST SIGHT
 
I woke up with the sound of the rain hitting the roof of the cabin.
 
So much for a first day of school.
 
I went outside and jogged at the forest first. Running is my favorite pastime. I can think without any intrusions and running clears my head. Besides, it warms me up so I could jump as high as I want and even climb trees within a second.
 
After my morning jog, I took a bath. When I was about to go out of the bathroom, I caught a glimpse of myself on the mirror. No doubt, I have boyish charms no girl can resist, especially when I smile. Good looks are passed down in my family from generations to generations. I guess it was a part of our wicked genes. As far as I'm concerned, this face of mine is a good advantage. I can lure anyone with just a wink and a smile.
 
Staring at my reflection, I remembered my mother when I saw my own eyes. Innocent, is what my father say about my eyes. He said my green-shaded eyes are the real charm in me. I jerked away from the mirror and dressed up for school.
 
I took out my motorcycle from the small garage behind the cabin and headed off for the main road. When I reached the town center, people were looking - if not staring - at me and my big bike. I even saw some teenage girls giggle when I went past them.
 
“He's the new kid in town.” I heard one man say.
 
Driftwood High seemed smaller than when I first saw it.
 
I rounded the school parking lot and found an empty space beside an oak tree. Most students have already gone to their classes. Seeing no students around, I dashed to the reception office without knocking a single hair strand out of place.
 
The woman behind the desk didn't seem to notice my entrance. “Excuse me, miss.” I said.
 
She seemed to be surprised and almost fell off of her chair. “Oh, I didn't hear you enter.” She gushed, her face turning red with shame.
 
“I'm Nathan Wolfe. I need a copy of my schedule.” I made my voice sound more pleasant.
 
The woman, Ms. Foy, as it said on her name tag, pulled out a sheet of paper and a brochure from her desk drawer hesitantly. “Here they are. I also included a school brochure, if you don't mind. It has a school map on it.” she handed me the papers and smiled.
 
I winked at her and smiled. “Thanks, Ms. Foy.”
 
For a moment, she looked like she was about to say something, but closed her mouth, and then changed her mind again. “You have a cute accent.” she blurted out.
 
Jeez. Women do become distracted easily. “I'm Irish.” I smiled and then waved good-bye at her.
 
My first class, English, was easy to locate; it didn't even need to use the map. Even from the outside, I can already hear the voice of the professor. I knocked on the door and entered the room. Instantly, all heads were turned to my direction.
 
“Excuse me, is this Mr. Kress' class?” I pretended not to know.
 
The professor, a balding man with a thick mustache, nodded. “I assume you're Nathan Wolfe, the new student. Take a seat.” he turned his back to me and continued scribbling notes on the board.
 
My eyes landed on an empty seat at the back of the room, and as I passed by some of students - girls - they smiled and blushed. I can't help but smile back at them.
 
As I was getting nearer to my seat, a pair of crystal blue eyes caught my attention. For a moment, I felt captured by those crystal blue eyes as I stared at her. The girl was staring back at me with an enigmatic expression; I can't tell if she was amused to find me staring at her or if she was annoyed. I can't help but notice her other features.
 
Her eyelashes were long and curled, giving more emphasis to her eyes, and her lips thin. She has pinkish cheeks that made her face glow. Her dark wavy brown hair complemented her porcelain skin.
 
“Mr. Wolfe, do you mind taking a seat? You've been standing there for a minute now.” Mr. Kress gushed.
 
I turned to face him, trying to regain composure. “I'm sorry Mr. Kress.”
 
I sat down and felt silly. I've never been distracted. Much worse, this is the first time I stared at a girl. I looked at her again, and found it surprising that she was still looking at me. She smiled slightly, and that was when I felt my heart melt.