Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ If it kills me ❯ Arrival ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

1. ARRIVAL
 
“Are you sure you can do this, Nate?” my brother asked for a millionth time. “I mean, are you sure you can do this alone?”
 
I rolled my eyes. “Yes. I can do this alone. Stop bugging me. I've waited for this mission my whole life.”
 
“Well, dad's gonna miss you.”
 
I unpacked my bag and laughed. “Seriously, Gene, do you really think I'd fall for that?”
 
“Nah. I just thought a little drama might change your mind.” he teased.
 
I easily finished unpacking my clothes. “Look, I've waited and trained hard for this. I'm sure I can do this alone.”
 
Eugene held up his hands. “Okay, okay. Just don't fret to call me whenever you need help.”
 
My brother has always been like this, he's very approachable. He helped dad in training me when I was a kid, and I joined in some of his missions. This is my first one to be alone.
 
“Sure, sure.” I said. “Tell dad and the council I won't fail them.”
 
Eugene's face and tone was serious now. “Whatever. Got your story planned?”
 
I arranged my `props' at the table near my bed. “Yeah. I moved here `coz my house burned and my parents died in it.”
 
“Good. Here's a tip - don't screw up. Give me a call if you need help.”
 
With that, Eugene dashed out of the cabin and within a few seconds, I could already hear his trail in the forest. I remember Eugene bugging me about this cabin a few days ago. He said it was too old and small. I really don't need a huge luxurious place; I'm not gonna stay here for long. Besides, this cabin is perfect - far away from all the other houses and easy to get rid of.
 
I went downstairs and pulled out a folder bearing a Driftwood High logo from a drawer under the coffee table. Silly, I thought. Dad was the one who insisted I go to a school. He said it wouldn't be good if I stay in this town without showing up at school and act like a normal teenager. Eugene, seeing the disgust I felt when I heard the word `normal', backed up dad's plan. According to the curriculum plan, I should go to the 3rd year senior class. I had already enlisted myself at the school and I will be starting tomorrow. I'm pretty sure this school thing won't even affect my mission.
 
Setting aside the school folder, I prepared myself a hot bath and then called my father.
 
“Hey, if this call is important, leave a message. If not, don't even bother to say a word.” Dad's voicemail said.
 
“Hey dad, it's me. How are things there in Ireland? I just called to check on you guys. Has Eugene returned yet? Oh and when is my mission package coming? Give me a call anytime.”
 
My father must have been on a mission again. He's one of the most active and best men in our clan. I looked up to him since I was a child. He is my inspiration during my training years and he is still my inspiration for what I am going to do in this small town. I have prepared myself physically and emotionally for years. All I have to do now is wait for the main objectives and targets of my mission to arrive; I am sure this mission has something to do with the enemies of our clan. I will do this mission without regret.
 
By the time I finished my routine exercise, I prepared myself a warm bath and dinner. I guess I'm used to the idea of having no one to talk to. I remember a few years back when my father told me that being alone is good for a fighter like us.
 
Suddenly, my cell phone beeped, and there was a message from Eugene.
 
`Nathan, your package will arrive tomorrow night. Be sure to take your time before you make a move. Study your objectives thoroughly. See you when I see you.'