Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Journey's End ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Journey's End... Part Twelve
 
"And on tonight's show we'll be talking with Nicole Richards," the hostess smiled as she walked across the view of the camera while still staying in front of the studio audience, "the recently publicly outed romance author." She smiled, long black hair falling across her shoulders as she said, "Welcome... to Arts Scene."
 
Nicole took a deep breath as she sat by the host's big desk, her red hair carefully styled and her clothes crisp. This interview was part of Max's promotions push, booked not long before her ex-girlfriend had outed her and it was far too late to back out now. Normally a local arts show like this wouldn't even worry her, but this wasn't a normal situation.
 
"Welcome, Ms. Richards," the hostess smiled warmly as she settled catlike behind the desk while the viewers at home all saw the opening credits run by, "I wish that we had met earlier today. I'm Tiffany Edwards."
 
"Nice to meet you, Miss Edwards," Nicole shook the offered hand gently, "I'm sorry I wasn't able to get to the studio early."
 
"It's quite all right," Tiffany smiled back before adding, "would it be unprofessional for me to say I like your books?"
 
Nicole smiled back, "I wouldn't think so."
 
The producer's voice came on in the busy studio as he coolly counted down, "We're on in five... four..... three... two..."
 
On cue Tiffany smile turned professional, her eyes still twinkling slightly as she said, "I'm sure many of our viewers are aware of my first guest, the popular romance author Nicole Richards. Beginning with 'Quest for Love' and leading up to 'Love's Trial' she's written over ten books, all featuring the enchanting character Sharon Grey."
 
There was a dramatic pause as several of her covers flashed by on the studio displays as well as tv screens of home viewers. All tended to have a similar theme, of course: the brown haired main character, usually dressed in a low cut gown, and a handsome man of various types and nationalities. 'Hokey,' Nicole thought, 'but they work.'
 
"The latest Sharon Grey novel is coming out in only a few months," Tiffany chuckled, carefully pitching it so viewers could hear as she continued, "but speaking of coming out, Nicole Richards has recently been compelled to do so."
 
'Who didn't see that joke coming?' Nicole thought to herself as she did her best not to roll her eyes at that comment.
 
"Ms. Richards," Tiffany looked over at Nicole, "will Sharon be coming out as a lesbian in the latest novel in the series?"
 
Nicole had to restrain her first impulse, to answer yes knowing that her editor, not to mention the public relations people, would have a fit. "Sharon has been straight throughout the series," she said evenly, "I doubt that'll change now."
 
"Too bad," Tiffany flashed an impish smile. She tilted her head to the side, "So what can you tell us about the plot for the latest novel?"
 
"It's a secret," Nicole smiled back.
 
"Oh come on," Tiffany asked engagingly.
 
Nicole felt the gentle amusement of the crowd and felt oddly comforted. "I won't give away too many details," she said, "but after various trials Sharon decides to return home, only to run into something unexpected."
 
"Or someone?" Tiffany asked teasingly, but Nicole kept silent. Changing the subject she said, "There's been some trouble over your decision to conceal your lesbianism, correct?"
 
"I don't know if I concealed it," Nicole answered mildly.
 
"Oh?" Tiffany raised a delicate eyebrow.
 
"While I never stated my sexuality outright," Nicole conceded the point, "I was careful in my author's biography not to claim to be straight. The only mention of my relationships have been referring to my partner, which is usually taken as code for a same-sex companion."
 
"It's a subtlety that may have escaped many of your fans," Tiffany noted, "considering some of the articles I've seen."
 
"True enough," Nicole admitted, "I know there is a bit of controversy on-line. A few of the more conservative book stores have stopped carrying my novels and I understand that several religious organizations have put me on their ban lists."
 
"And how does that make you feel?" Tiffany asked gently.
 
"Sorry for them," Nicole answered her promptly. She flashed a smile towards the audience as she continued, "They're going to miss my new book!"
 
There was quiet laughter from the audience, and even Tiffany chuckled softly. The producer signaled her and Tiffany said formally, "Thank you for appearing today, Nicole." Turning back to the audience she said brightly, "Stay tuned to our next segment, where we'll be talking to a local filmmaker who's been challenging taboos with his 'Blood, sex and magik' series."
 
Nicole sighed in relief as she was gently ushered off the stage by a assistant, a young man leading her right towards the producer. "Nicely done," Mr. Griffin nodded crisply, "wonder if you'd like to appear again?"
 
"Huh?" Nicole blinked, mildly surprised.
 
Griffin smiled slightly, "You had good chemistry with Tiff and the audience, the bosses like that." He paused, "Not to mention that Tiff told me she likes you. If we have another topic we can call you in on, would you like to?"
 
Nicole thought about it a moment then nodded, "You know, I'd like that."
 
A few moment's later she was outside, Rachel waiting patiently where she had illegally parked her car in front of Virgin Megastore. "Get in," the black haired young woman waved wildly as she called, "before I get ticketed."
 
"You didn't have to come out and meet me," Nicole smiled in honest pleasure as she climbed into the passenger's side.
 
"Not a problem," Rachel said to her teasingly, "if I wasn't here you could have been mobbed by your fangirls."
 
"Like that'll happen," Nicole shook her head.
 
 
Rachel actually laughed, "Wanna bet? I've already stumbled across two on-line shrines to you." She looked a bit sheepish as she continued, "I never got the chance to apologize for Lynn following me up to Journey's End...."
 
"Not your fault," Nicole flashed a smile at her friend. They cruised up Robson street, passing the posh stores and Starbucks, "Instead of going back to your apartment, do you think you could take me to the airport?"
 
Rachel chuckled softly, "Eager to get back to your ghostly girlfriend?"
 
"Yes," Nicole answered Rachel honestly, her mouth forming the words without her thinking about it, "I'm in love."
 
Rachel chuckled as they drove, circling Denman Street then going up Davie towards Granville. "So you've finally admitted it," she said as they passed apartments and quaint houses. A pause, "Have you told her yet?"
 
"And what makes you think I haven't?" Nicole asked.
 
"I know you," was Rachel's dry answer.
 
"Fair enough," Nicole sighed. She looked out as they rose Granville street past Granville Island, "No, not in so many words."
 
"If you care for her as much as I think you do," Rachel looked over to say to Nicole, "then make sure to tell her soon."
 
"I will," Nicole promised, her face going pale. She jabbed Rachel firmly in the arm, "Now keep an eye on the road!"
 
"I've driven in Vancouver for years," Rachel casually weaved them through traffic, cutting off another car to loud honks, "we're fine."
 
"Oh god," Nicole groaned, covering her face with her hands.
 
To be continued....