Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Journey's End ❯ Final ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Journey's End... Final
 
The car bumped through the potholes up the drive, the little car pulling in front of the beautiful Victorian style house on the edge of the sea. Salt tinged the air as the redhead got out of her car, sunlight tinting her skin and hair as she gazed up at the house that had over the past few months become her home. Popping the trunk she collected her bags and slammed it shut, walking up to the house and unlocking the door with a smile. After being out on an interview tour for nearly a week and a half, Nicole Richards was glad to be back.
 
Nicole put her bag down with a sigh in the front hall of Journey's End, puffing out a happy sigh. "I'm home," the redhead called out, smiling.
 
"I know," the amused voice came from right behind her.
 
The tired looking Nicole jumped, quickly turning to meet the gentle smile of her lover who was standing there right behind her. "You just love doing that to me," she chuckled fondly, gazing adoringly at the lovely blonde. 'God she's just adorable,' she admitted, 'even when she's pulling ghostly stuff like this.'
 
"Yes, I do," Laura promptly agreed, her eyes twinkling with pure amusement. Her ghostly body seemed to firm up for a moment as she leaned forward, pressing cool lips to Nicole's cheek, "Welcome home."
 
"You have no idea how happy I am to be back," Nicole murmured to Laura honestly. She picked up her bags as they walked along the hallway towards the living room and stairs then she quietly confessed, "I missed you."
 
Laura smiled shyly, the old fashioned dress that she wore ruffled by a unfelt breeze, swirling away then seeming to thin out into a swirling mist. "I thought you'd be happy to be away from me for awhile," she looked over at Nicole with a gentle gaze, "I know I can crowd you at times."
 
"Even after the first day I missed you," Nicole answered Laura frankly as they went up to the master bedroom, "and it only got worse over time." She casually thumped the door open with her hip as she continued, "More than just becoming part of my life, you're in my heart."
 
"And you mine," a faintly blushing Laura agreed softly, smiling as Nicole set her bag down. She sighed, "I wish I could leave this place, go with you....."
 
"It doesn't matter," Nicole said quietly. She smiled, "Having you here at the end of the trip almost makes all the fuss bearable."
 
"Was it really so bad?" Laura asked her as she gracefully settled on the edge of the bed and eagerly watched Nicole unpack. The other woman unpacked far less neatly than when she had gotten ready to go, simply yanking items of clothing out and then stuffing the stuff into the dirty clothes hamper or the dressers, as needed.
 
Nicole dumped the empty suitcase to the floor with a sigh then she sat down beside Laura. "Most of my book appearances are about the work I do," she explained tiredly, "this time, it was all about me and my life. It was all just a bit odd."
 
Laura and Nicole sat close together, the author obviously unbothered by either Laura's unearthly aura or the slightly chill mist of her physical form. Laura's ghostly touch was soothing, her shimmering form stroking the side of Nicole's face as she murmured, "Well, I can understand people being fascinated with you."
 
Nicole smiled slightly, "I'm not that interesting."
 
"You are to me," was Laura's quiet reply.
 
"Thank you," Nicole blushed faintly. She studied Laura a moment, relaxing as she looked over at the woman who was sitting beside her, "You know, Rachel and I got to talking when she drove me over to the airport."
 
"Oh?" Laura asked mildly.
 
She was keeping her voice quite deliberately neutral and Nicole had to fight hard to hold back a smile. It was clear that Laura wasn't terribly enamored to Rachel, especially considering Nicole's past with the woman. "She asked me about you," Nicole confided, "and I told her something about you that I should have told you a long time ago."
 
"What's that?" Laura asked, her hair shifting gently, stirred as much by her nervous feelings as by any hint of a breeze.
 
Nicole hesitated, then steeled her courage as she continued, "I love you."
 
Laura met Nicole's eyes, her smile hesitant as she asked softly, "Are you sure? I'm not...."
 
Nicole let her hand touch the almost immaterial cheek, gently cupping ghostly flesh as she smiled reassuringly. "I've never been as sure of anything in my while life," she answered Laura with complete honestly.
 
The phantom memory of tears glistened on Laura's cheeks as she smiled happily. "I love you too," she agreed. Her form solidified, her body becoming opaque as she pressed her body to Nicole's, knocking her backwards onto the bed.
 
"Woah," Nicole gasped startled as Laura kissed her fiercely.
 
Laura's eyes were cloudy with desire as she looked down at Nicole, her touch tender on the other woman's cheek. "I missed you as well," she murmured, her clothes having disappeared somewhere along the way, "would you like to see how much?"
 
Nicole found herself feeling somewhat breathless at the totally unexpected aggression that Laura was showing to her. 'Breathless and a bit excited,' she silently admitted. She grinned back at Laura as she said, "Oh yes."
 
Laura kissed the base of Nicole's neck, her slightly chill lips making Nicole's fevered blood race. "Most of the time you were gone," she murmured, "I was reading some of the books you brought here." A wicked smile, "I learned a great deal, I think."
 
Nicole chuckled then moaned as Laura began to pull open the white button up shirt that she had worn, kissing cloth covered breasts. "From what I remember from last time you don't need any lessons," she said breathlessly.
 
"You are a real gentleman," Laura purred as she undid the front clasping bra. She licked gently, enjoying the gasps that her tongue brought forth then continued, "But I promised myself to make your homecoming special."
 
"Eeep," Nicole gasped out a soft sound of surprise as Laura stopped her careful exploration of her breasts and slid down to kiss her bare belly. "It already is," she managed as her lover smoothly undid her pants.
 
Laura laughed softly but warmly as she continued, "You haven't see anything yet."
 
*****************
 
In the morning sun Nicole drank her coffee, jerked out of a few months of memories by a gentle hand resting on her arm. Laura smiled, the noble lady looking so different from the wild woman who had all but ravaged her last night, and asked, "What are you thinking about?"
 
Nicole returned her gaze, a faint blush touching her cheeks. "Just how lucky I am to have come here and met you," she admitted.
 
"I'm the lucky one," Laura said with a smile. She hesitated, looking into Nicole' eyes searchingly as she continued, "I've asked this before, but are you sure? Staying here with a ghost isn't going to be easy...."
 
There was a twinkle in Nicole's eyes as she murmured, "The surest sign that someone cares about someone else is putting their needs before your own." Laura actually blushed as Nicole continued, "Someday I'm going to grow old, love, while you're staying beautiful forever." A pause, "I don't want to imagine ever being a burden to you, either."
 
"You are beautiful," Laura said intensely, "and always will be."
 
Nicole blinked back tears, "I'm glad." She giggled oddly, "I guess we'll be having this conversation ever little while, huh?"
 
"Maybe," Laura conceded with a answering chuckle. More seriously she continued, "I love you, and I think I always will."
 
"And I you," Nicole answered, carefully leaning forward to kiss that ghostly cheek.
 
Epilogue:
 
And life went on in the home called Journey's End and the world beyond. Nicole's romance novels actually grew in popularity with her notoriety, and her first lesbian novel was quite successful. The town soon came to regard Nicole as an eccentric but still one of their own, and she began to establish friendships there.
 
The romance between Laura and Nicole simply grew stronger as the years passed, and though Nicole's writing would take her away for times, she would always return. The ghost of Journey's End was still sighed often by visitors, but the frightening aura scared most people away. Still, the two were content with each other
.
In her late eighties Nicole passed away up at Journey's End, surrounded by friends both new and old. Her will set up the house as a writer's retreat and museum, restored to the look it once had back in the early 1900s. The guests would comment on the warmth, how safe they felt staying there, and would relate the most unusual stories.
 
In various rooms of the house two figures would be seen, a blonde and a redhead, each blowing with youth and happiness. The ghosts often were seen in the woods, gazing at the sunrise, or playing in the house, and all would feel their pure joy.
 
End.
 
Author's Notes: The first episode began in the present, then flashing back to Nicole's arrival in Journey's End and this final episode returns to that present. While I was tempted to continue on past this point, covering more of the issues around Nicole's coming out, I thought this would be a good place to bring it to an end. I want to thank everyone who's read so far, and I hope you've enjoyed this.