Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Journey to the World Beyond ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Journey to the World Beyond
 
It was almost the end of the day and Jordan and the other animals were tired. It had been almost a full day of searching and all they had accomplished was being kicked out of a possible home and feeling sorry for their food. This had not been a good day.
 
“We'd better rest up,” Neil said with a sigh as he slumped to the ground.
 
Kirsten yawned and had to admit that she was sleepy too. Jordan wanted to go on and find the city soon, but he had to admit that he could not last at the moment. The animals went to sleep and decided they'd have a fresh start in the morning.
 
It was 2 hours before Kirsten awoke and tugged on Jordan's tail. The squirrel awoke with a startled look and retreated behind a bush. Squirrels were always intimidated by a grab to the tail, so this was more of an impulse than anything.
 
“Don't do that!” he shouted trying to be as quiet as possible so not to awaken Neil from his slumber.
 
Kirsten moped towards the ground and said, “I'm sorry. I just find it hard to sleep without my rabbit hole.”
 
Jordan's slight fit subsided in an instant. He understood what the rabbit girl was going through. He also missed his tree and the outdoors was very cold at night. He picked up a nearby acorn and munched on it while Kirsten reminisced about her lost home.
 
“Don't worry too much about it,” was all the squirrel could say as Kirsten stopped crying and, for the first time in years, got angry.
 
“How can you be so calm at a time like this?” she snapped as Jordan stared at her dumbfounded.
 
“You know what I mean!” she snapped again, “You say `Oh let's go to the city' as if the forest meant nothing to us! I know very well that you miss it more than any of us, and yet you worry the least!”
 
“That's not true,” Jordan remarked with a mix of sadness and anger in his expression, “You're right. I do miss it more than both of you put together, but unlike you, I've accepted that there's no way to get it back! I just want you two to have a good home, and the city has the best homes for animals! I mean, I could care less if I died trying to find a new home for myself! It's you guys I'm looking out for. Mostly you, Kirsten, because I've secretly liked you for a long time.”
 
Kirsten gasped in response to this. She was not expecting such a deep answer. She had expected Jordan to be shallow like most guys would be, but he was very sensitive about her feelings. He had done all of this for her well-being, not just his. Kirsten was touched.
 
The rabbit sighed, blushed and said, “I like you too, and just like you, I like you as more than a friend.”
 
Then, it happened. The magic had finally started and the two locked lips. I won't go into heavy detail because I'm not sure how a squirrel and a rabbit kiss, but it was beautiful. Up until now, the two had kept it a secret mainly because they thought a rabbit and a squirrel mating was forbidden by God. But they had realized that their love was too strong for such boundaries.
 
Neil awoke slightly to witness the moment and quietly whispered, “I knew those two had something going on,” then closed his eyes and went back to sleep.
 
The trio had a fresh start in the morning. Jordan was very excited and full of action as Kirsten breathed in the morning air. It was a bright sunny morning and nothing could go wrong. Today was the day that this trio would find the city.
 
(I just thought up another song just now. That's 2 songs written by me, so the next number is all mine)
 
As the three ventured off into the distance, Jordan took in a deep breath and sang, “The city is just waiting for our ground to touch its face. Let us venture off, for we must pick up pace! We will go!”
 
Then the three got together and said, “We will reach the city!”
 
“We have had a rough start and dealt with hardships grand,” Kirsten inquired, “losing homes, being kicked out and talking to depressing plants!”
 
“But we know,” Neil stated, “we're gonna find a home!”
 
“Let's travel to the big city now!” they chanted together, “Let's find shelter in heaven! There's no time to feel depressed as we head towards fate!”
 
Then the three laughed and added, “And I'll be so happy as long as we're all free! Let's go on and reside for a home in the heaven known as the city!”
 
Yes, their spirits were high and they were determined to find a new home. Also, the song stopped rhyming because I didn't really want to rhyme the whole thing. Back to the story.
 
It had been quite a while, but the trio finally made it. They had found salvation.
 
“There it is,” Jordan said with a big grin on his face, “We found the city!”
 
This was not an illusion either. The group had finally found the city. It was bigger than they could have ever imagined. They were sure to find an owner in a place with so many people. The buildings were at least 3 stories tall, bigger than any tree in the forest, and there was all kinds of life shown by the people there.
 
“Here we go,” Jordan said with a triumphant grin on his face, “Watch out for cars, guys, they're known to kill small animals. Plus, if a human sees us, try to look as cute as possible! Humans love cute! Another fact is that humans will be scared of us if we use English, so remember to talk in your usual animal tongue, okay?”
 
Kirsten nodded and decided to be silent. Neil cleared his throat and let out a small squeaking noise as Jordan looked up and started to chitter. This was actually quite easy and it felt good to go back to their primitive routes.
 
The three creatures entered the city with high hopes. They made a bound across the street whenever the light was green. They may have been common animals, but they understood humans fairly well. What they had not anticipated was most humans' natural fear of mice among other furry mammals, so when they walked up to a nice-looking teenaged girl, she looked down and shrieked.
 
“EEK! A MOUSE! SAVE ME!” she shouted at the top of her lungs as everyone else started to freak out.
 
Jordan knew they didn't fear him, Kirsten knew they didn't fear her, it was the mouse they were screaming at. It was then that a random bystander picked them up and said, “Ignore those wimps. I'll give you guys a good home.”
 
So, this man who was probably a gift from God himself entered a shop that he worked at, a hardware store to be exact. He placed the squirrel, rabbit and mouse in a cage and left saying, “Don't you go anywhere. We'll be opening soon and I don't have enough time to put you in my home yet.”
 
As the owner left with the `closed' sign up, the trio smiled and figured they had found a good match.
 
“He seems like a nice guy,” Neil stated as the other two nodded. But, what happened next was very strange and unexpected.
 
“Oh, look at the new playmates,” a voice taunted.
 
The trio turned and saw something even weirder than the flowers. The hardware tools in the store had come to life and were talking.
 
“This is creepy,” Kirsten stated as Jordan just grimaced and spat, “Why did you sound as if you were mocking us?”
 
“Why are you talking to tools?” a hammer replied as every shelf vibrated with laughter.
 
“Why are you in a hardware store?” the hammer asked as Jordan grimaced and said, “We were taken in by your seller! You got a problem with that?”
 
“No, not at all,” the hammer replied, “I'm sorry if I sounded mean! Just wanted to say that we only accept things that are handy here, but we can leave room for some wasted space.”
 
“We can be plenty handy!” Neil stated, “Tell us what we can do!”
 
Then, the tools snickered as the hammer asked, “Can you hammer in a nail?”
 
The three animals stared at one-another as the hammer laughed and asked, “Can you saw a piece of wood in half?”
 
“Hold on!” a screwdriver remarked, “We have no right to be like this! They're our guests! Let's tell them what living here at the hardware store is all about!”
 
Jordan was content that one was on their side, and the other hardware tools listened. So, a saw got up off his shelf and started sawing to the rhythm of a song that just started up out of a radio that was planted there for some reason. Then the tools got together and said the following in unison:
 
“Nothin' ever (ever) happens in this town! Feelin' low down (down), not a lot to do around here! Here I thought that I would go right outta my mind until a friend told me the news! He said, `(Hey), you know that vacant lot right beside the gas station? Well, somebody bought it and on the spot they're gonna build a shop where we can go buy bolts and screws!' Since then I've been walking on air (air)! I can barely brush my teeth or comb my hair 'cause I'm so excited and I really don't care! I've been waiting since last June for this day to finally arrive! I'm so happy (happy) now just to be alive 'cause any minute now I'm gonna be inside! Well, I hope they open soon! I can't wait no, I can't wait (oh when)! When they gonna open up that door? I'm goin' (yes I'm) goin', I'm a-goin' to the foin' to the (hard) ware I'm goin', really goin' to the goin' (hard) I'm goin' to the (hard) oh yes, I'm goin' to the hardware store!”
 
Jordan and the others glanced at one-another as the music continued. This was very strange and very disturbing.
 
“In my sleeping bag I camped out overnight right in front of the store, then as soon as it was light out I pressed my nose right up against the glass. You know, I had to be first in line! Gonna get me a flashlight and a broom; want a pair of pliers for every single room in my house! See those hacksaws? Very, very soon one of them will be all mine! Guys with nametags walking down the aisles! Rows of garden hoses that go on for miles and miles! Brand new socket wrenches in a plethora of styles all arranged alphabetically! And they're doing a promotional stunt! There's a great big purple sign out front that says every 27th customer will get a ball peen hammer free! I can't wait no, (no I) I can't wait! (oh when) When are they gonna open up that door? I'm goin' (yes I'm) goin', I'm a-goin' to the goin' to the (hard) ware I'm goin', really goin' to the goin' (hard) I'm goin' to the (hard) oh yes, I'm goin' to the hardware store!”
 
Now after a lot of pointless singing, the animals finally decided they were scared now and broke out their cage. They tried to run away as soon as possible, but accidentally ran into a big wood chipper that sighed and said, “Would you look at all that stuff?”
 
“They've got Allen wrenches, gerbil feeders, toilet seats, electric heaters! Trash compactors, juice extractor, shower rods and water meters! Walkie-talkies, copper wires safety goggles, radial tires! BB pellets, rubber mallets, fans and dehumidifiers! Picture hangers, paper cutters, waffle irons, window shutters! Paint removers, window louvers, masking tape and plastic gutters! Kitchen faucets, folding tables, weather stripping, jumper cables! Hooks and tackle, grout and spackle, power foggers, spoons and ladles! Pesticides for fumigation, high-performance lubrication! Metal roofing, water proofing, multi-purpose insulation! Air compressors, brass connectors, wrecking chisels, smoke detectors! Tire gauges, hamster cages, thermostats and bug deflectors! Trailer hitch demagnetizers, automatic circumcisers! Tennis rackets, angle brackets, Duracell and Energizers! Soffit panels, circuit breakers, vacuum cleaners, coffee makers! Calculators, generators, matching salt and pepper shakers! I can't wait no, (no I) I can't wait! (oh when) When are they gonna open up that door? I'm goin' (yes I'm) goin', I'm a-goin' to the goin' to the (hard) ware I'm goin', really goin' to the goin' (hard) I'm goin' to the (hard) oh yes, I'm goin' to the hardware store!”
 
Neil then noticed a small mouse home in the wall and the trio decided to take that as the tools grinned at their greatness and finished the song with one last line:
 
“I'm goin' (yes I'm) goin', I'm a-goin' to the goin' to the (hard) ware I'm goin', really goin' to the goin' (hard) I'm goin' to the (hard) oh yes, I'm goin' to the hardware store!”
 
(Yes, I know this chapter made little sense, but I felt I had to do that)