Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Legends Academy ❯ Sacrifice ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Begin Chapter four…
Sacrifice
 
It was the one thing I could do. If I could just get Markarov free, maybe he and Angel would make it out if this mess. Maybe, if they were fast enough, they would try to save me too. Do I realize that I'm sacrificing myself for people I've only met today? My mind asked vaguely. Apparently not. Oh well, too late to change it, considering I'm about to dive into the arms of a person who was probably going to kill us all. The only other option was to do what he said, which probably would have ended with dieing anyways. I just hope they can get away…
I felt the stranger's hands grab my neck, restricting my breathing. Wait, both hands! That means there's nothing holding Markarov back! I forced my eyes open and turned my head toward where I thought Markarov was. And he was right in the same place, standing there with a worried look on his face. “Go,” I grunted out, pulling at the hands that were slowly forcing the life out of me. “This is your chance, get Angel and escape!”
He didn't go, but instead shook his head, saying, “No. If I leave it's going to be you who I dies. I won't let that happen. Now, you might want to close your eyes. This won't be pretty.” I obliged, closing my eyes tight. But as I heard metal clang, punches land, and so many other signature sounds of battle, I felt a faint burning in my throat. I struggled, but it was in vain. There was no way I could escape this person's iron grip. Oh, no! I can't stay like this much longer! I…Can't…breathe…
The sounds that were once loud suddenly disappeared and I felt my body make contact with the hard ground. I heard pounding footsteps a few feet away, retreating into the night. I also felt a something cold on my neck. For a moment I thought someone was trying to strangle me again. My body automatically tensed up and I heard a voice say, “Calm down Artemis, It's only me.” The voice I recognized as Markarov's was slow, and a little airy, like he had run a marathon, not five feet. There was a sort of forced calm in it too, like he wanted me to think everything was alright. Which, if he was checking my pulse, it probably wasn't.
A little ways off I heard the faint rustle of fabric-on-fabric and a gasp, then a girl's voice cry, “Artemis! Markarov, what did you do to her?! Get away from her, NOW! I mean it, if you think I was bad before, wait until I WANT to hurt you!” Ah, I see miss sleepyhead has finally woken up.
Then Markarov said quietly, “Angel, now is not the time, set aside your petty feelings and help me. Artemis is hurt. Come here.” Angel grudgingly obliged, walking up slowly. I felt her kneel next to me. Quite frankly, she was taking this rather well. Considering that she had stopped screaming and threatening the boy that had saved my life. “What happened?” I heard her ask softly, as I felt her hand appear on my shoulder. “That's exactly what I was wondering.” I said softly, opening my eyes. My voice had an almost gravelly tone to it, like there was sand paper in my voice box.
The next thing I knew, I was being suffocated by a mass of brown hair as Angel hugged me tightly. “Angel,” I said in a slow, threatening voice, “If you don't get your hair out of my face I think you'll find out what happened.” She immediately withdrew. I smiled as I sat up, putting a hand to my neck. I winced when my hand made contact with the bruised and slightly raw skin. Markarov put a hand on my back. “Artemis, are you sure you are all right?” He asked quietly, urgency worming its way around his words. I nodded, still wincing. “Who was that?” I asked, but Markarov got up and walked over to Angel, completely ignoring and whispering something in her ear. She nodded and got up too, walking over to her bags. She rooted around for a moment, and then took out a little white package. She handed it to Markarov and he appeared to thank her. He walked back to me and crouched, so that we were about level. He took out the white package and I realized that it was a first-aid kit. He removed some sort of ointment and a bandage.
“Stay still. This may sting a little, and it's best if you don't move while I'm putting it on.” He said, opening the ointment and squeezing it out onto his hand. I was still as he smeared it on my neck, cringing as he rubbed it in. “You're right, that kind of hurts.” I said quietly, turning towards him slightly. He smiled, and then said, “Then don't move. Didn't I say to stay still?”. Now he was finishing off by wrapping the bandage around my neck. He tied it and patted me on the shoulder. “There. Feeling any better?” He asked. I tried to move my neck, and I found that it was a little easier, but it still hurt. “A little,” I said semi-quietly.
“Here,” He said, snaking his hands under me and picking me up. “I'll help you to your sleeping bag. I know what you did, and it wasn't the best tactic. You really shouldn't move just yet.” He continued in a quieter tone, so Angel wouldn't hear him. “Thanks. And if you were in the same position, what would you do? If you know what the best “tactics” are, why don't you tell me?” I asked, not meaning to be so cocky. He just let out a light chuckle, saying, “Honestly? If someone I hardly knew was in danger I probably would take care of myself, rather than them.” He set me down gently, helping me lay down and covering me up with the blanket that was discarded at the bottom of my sleeping bag. “Get some rest, you need it.” He said simply, giving me another, slightly smaller grin. He walked away, sitting back down on his sleeping bag and quietly conversing with Angel.
Eventually they stopped and the three of us sat out the rest of the night watching the stars fade and the sun appear. Well, actually, it was the two of us. Again, Angel fell asleep, and Markarov and I stayed up. I wanted to talk, but it hurt to breathe, so talking probably wasn't a very good idea. An hour or so later, Markarov was asleep to and I was alone again.
Wow. This has probable been the most exciting day of my life. It took me a moment to realize that I was right. When did that bug up my butt die? Hmmm, do I go into mourning for a bug? I chuckled at my own stupid joke, finally drifting off to a fretful sleep, only to have my dreams invaded with strangers in cloaks, dragons, and the gift I didn't even know I had…
 
End Chapter four…
 
I know, I know, short chapter. My fault, I'm tired, grumpy, the works. I can honestly promise that chapter five will be longer! But hey, is that fine print?
 
It will take a while…sorry, but I DO have school, you know…
 
 
Meanwhile, I need a 12-hour nap, bye!
All due respect,
-AnimeGirl214