Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Legends Academy ❯ Morning Pranksters ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
Begin Chapter five…
Morning Pranksters
 
I was awoken by a scream. I instantly shot up, getting a massive headache in the process. “What's wrong?” I asked quickly, looking around. Angel was asleep still, no surprises there. It took an abnormally large amount of time for my mind to process what was wrong. Markarov was gone, his borrowed sleeping bag lay, slightly messy, about two feet away from mine. Wait, if Angel was asleep and Markarov was gone, who screamed?
I got up; wandering to the edge of the large stone I had slept on. I looked down, only to fall with my gaze. But by some stroke of luck, I landed in the muscular arms of Markarov. He wasn't even looking at me, but conversing with-my mum? That's weird… I said, slipping free of his grasp. But as soon as I had the sense to listen to what they were saying, they stopped. I was about to ask why my mum was out here, but then I thought better of it. I just shot my mum a questioning glare and turned around to face Markarov. I gave him a polite nod, starting to climb the rock face once again. He held a hand to my shoulder though, keeping me from climbing back up the rock to let Angel know what was going on. Not that I knew, I mean.
“Artemis, why are you so quiet?” My mum asked, replacing Markarov's hand with her own. She gently pulled me off of the stone, turning me to face her. “Is everything alright?” She asked in her usual “I'm worried” voice. “Yeah,” I answered in as perky a tone as I could muster. “Hey,” I asked, “Who screamed?” Markarov looked at me in disbelief for a moment. “Don't look at me, I don't scream. It was your mother. I spooked her. Man, you girls are pretty jumpy, you know.” I looked at my mum, a smile forming on my face. We both shared one of those “moments”, laughing together. After a minute we both were silent.
Please don't notice what happened to my neck. I silently prayed, remember just then myself. But, just like clockwork, my mum asked, “What happened to your neck? That looks pretty bad, honey.” I just shrugged off her hand. From behind her, Markarov shot me a glare, clearly telling me not to say what happened. “Oh, that's nothing.” I lied, “I was climbing a tree and I slipped and my neck was scraped a little, no biggie.” My mum let out a sigh, “Oh, that's okay then. I was afraid you were hurt. Oh well, I just wanted to check on you. Have a good time honey, I'll see you later.” She walked back up the castle, looking slightly less worried.
As soon as she was out of earshot I let out a sigh. “That was close.” Markarov said, climbing back up the stone. I followed him, and then walked over to Angel. I was reaching for her shoulder when Markarov appeared next to me and grabbed my arm. He flashed me that vampire smile again. I was about to protest when he put a finger to my lips in a sign for silence. He mouthed the words “I have a better idea.” He looked very convincing in the pale pinks and oranges that painted the sky.
I nodded, gently pushing his finger away. He motioned for me to follow him and disappeared over the edge. I walked to the edge, looking at the steep drop. He was at the base of the rock, motioning for me to jump down to him. I grimaced, backing up a little. I ran and jumped off the edge, executing a perfect flip before landing lightly next to him. I opened my eyes, turning to the bug-eyed form of Markarov. “I didn't know you could do that.” He said in disbelief. I giggled. “Neither did I.” I admitted.
“Come on,” He said, walking towards the lake. After a few minutes I stopped, an idea forming in my head. “Markarov,” I called out softly, getting his attention. “I have a better idea.” I said, running a few steps. Once at a comfortable speed, I turned quickly and dropped to the ground. I whipped past Markarov, rolling faster than he could run. Once I was about ten feet from the waters edge I stopped, sitting up dizzily. It took Markarov a few moments to catch up. He helped me up and walked the rest of the way to the water. I stopped at the edge, but he walked in a few inches. I was about to ask what he was doing, but then the words died in my mouth. He held his arms out over the water; hands spread about two feet away from each other. He muttered something unintelligible and about a pint of the cool water rose up, as if lifted by an invisible bucket. He dropped one hand but the water stayed. Turning back to me and walking out of the water he smiled. “How did you do that?” I asked, still slightly in shock. He just laughed. “You'll figure it out eventually.”
We walked back up the stone and climbed back up the rock face. I marveled that Markarov could climb it faster than me with one hand. After we finally reached the top the both of us walked over to Angel. I mouthed that we'd pull the prank on three. “One,” He mouthed first, raising his hand over her. “Two,” I said quietly. We both paused a moment, then nodded. “Three!” We said in perfect unison.
Incidentally, “three” is the number of things that happened. One: I cried out, “GOOD MORNING, STARSHINE! THE EARTH SAYS “HELLO!”!”, two: Markarov closed his hand, letting the water splatter on the sleeping bag, and three: Someone poked my shoulder. Apparently, the same thing happened to Markarov, because we both spun around at the same time to face…
 
Angel?
 
She flashed us a huge grin, walking between us. “Nice try.” She said, still smiling. She opened the sleeping bag to reveal a couple of pillows. Markarov and I first looked at Angel, then the sleeping bag, then at each other. Finally, we both spoke. “Wow,” We said in unpracticed unison. “How did you-?” We didn't even finish. We just, well, basically we growled. Next to us, Angel fell down on the ground laughing.
 
End Chapter five…
 
Yeah, I know, “liar!”. Not necessarily. I typed this up in about a day, so it's to be expected. Sorry it's so short, but I'm facing a little writer's block.
All due respect,
-AnimeGirl214