Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Lessons Learned ❯ The Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lessons Learned
 
Chapter 1- The Beginning
It was a cold and depressing rainy afternoon in the city of Vampcovia, it was a pleasant city for those who inhabited it. For those that did were vampires, now this story begins after a long and dreadful war between the Vampires and the Werewolves no one truly understands how exactly this all began…What we do know however is how it ends. The castle where King Orion and his fours children lived was bustling with activity this day….for it was soon to be the 200th birthday of Princess Ella Keat the king's only daughter the princesses three older brothers were each busy with something of their own to do in order to help get the castle ready for the ball that would be held in their sister's honor. “I wish it would not rain so dreadfully the sky seems so depressing these days even if my birthday is just a few days away” Princess Ella said to herself as she gazed sadly out the window as the darkness grew even more, her brothers would soon have to leave the castle and journey out with the rest of the storm riders to bring the sound of thunder breaking out across the sky around their lands. “I wish I could ask father if I could ride one of the storm riders I would enjoy just being with my brothers” Princess Ella sighed sadly knowing very well that her father King Orion would never let his `little lady' onto one of the storm riders he said so every time Ella asked him if she could venture out at night with her brothers. “You look sad m'lady what is troubling you?” a calm voice said that broke Ella's concentration she turned her head to see none other than her youngest older brother Solomon standing near her wearing his shoulder length black hair pulled into a loose ponytail at the base of his neck. Ella had always looked up to all of her brothers but Ella and Solomon got along together much better than she and her oldest two older brothers, When Ella was little her mother became very ill and no one was able to cure her in the years before Ella's mother fell ill she and Ella would go shopping in their local market together or ride her mother's mount on the castle grounds Ella was the apple of her father's eye and he treasured her dearly. When the queen fell ill Solomon was 75 years old Ella was still only 25 and still very young. “Oh hey Solomon I thought you would be helping Daddy and the others get the castle ready for the upcoming ball what are you doing over here?” Ella asked as she looked at her brother with curiosity in her Amber eyes. “I just got finished with my work and was on the way to my room to get dressed for some storm riding tonight I saw my baby sister sitting over here on the window sill looking upset and I became concerned and wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help her feel better” Solomon replied smiling as he patted his sisters head affectionately as he had always done ever since she was little. “I'm okay I guess I just wish that I could go with you guys when you go storm riding; but Daddy won't let me it's not fair” Ella said sadly as her brother then wrapped her up in a tight yet warm and affectionate hug “I know it's not fair to you Ella but father has his reasons for not wanting to let you go with us I mean it's dangerous out there even more so now that the war with the Werewolves has gotten worse; but I know he means well by the things he does anyway speaking of dad he wanted to see you in his study” Solomon said as he released his sister from his grasp, “what does Daddy want to see me for? do you know?” Ella asked Solomon becoming even more curious now than she had been earlier. “No he just told me to give you that message; but he wouldn't say why, well I better go and hurry and get changed into my storm rider uniform otherwise I'll be late for our mounting tonight and you had better hurry and go see what dad wants you know how impatient he can get” Solomon said as he walked off towards the Eastern end of the Castle where his room was located, “I guess Solomon's right even though Daddy seems like he's being mean to me by not letting me ride I know he just wants to keep me safe, I should go see what Daddy wants before he has the entire castle looking for me” Ella said to herself as she rushed off to the opposite end of the castle to see what her father wanted to talk to her about.
Ella stopped outside the doors to her father's study she had learned to be polite and knock before entering there would be times when if someone went inside without knocking first they would be caught in the shoulder with dagger. Those incidents had never happened within Ella's eyesight; but she had heard her brothers tell her what had happened later on during the days when they would spend time together. Ella rapped her knuckles sharply on the huge cherry oak doors, “enter” was the reply Ella waited for before daring to enter her father's study Ella's father never called her to his study alone unless she was in very deep trouble and this had happened only once before thus this visit would be her second. “Ah there's my pretty princess I hope you doing well my little lady” King Orion said as he turned to face his daughter as she entered the large room, King Orion looked as if he had never really even aged a day since his wife had given birth to Ella; but after the queen had passed on he had begun to show his age but he wore it very well for someone of his stature. With his crimson red eyes, long raven black hair and dark skin tone King Orion looked as much of a formidable person as he truly was when seen in battle, his presence alone was enough to make all who feared yet were loyal to him quiver in fear. All had done this except Ella's mother Queen Mary Keat had always been the talk of the town for it was said that even the Werewolves wished to catch a glimpse of her beauty; with her pale snow white skin, her full red luscious lips, her toned and athletic body, her curves would attract any man's attention if given the chance. May Keat had always been kind, and everyone who had known her would say they were blessed to have known such a gentle creature, King Orion had met Ella's mother when he had been injured in a battle while returning to the castle he came across a small farmhouse just outside his city. Orion had become so thirsty that when he found a large barrel of water outside the house he immediately threw off his helmet and jerked the lid off the barrel and dunked his head into the barrel and began guzzling down the sweet liquid inside of it.
“ I see you are very thirsty drink all that you like” a voice had said to him Orion yanked his head out of the barrel and hissed at the person who dared to comment on his manners in such a tone; but when he looked at who it was that stood before him he could not help but lose all of his sense of control for there in front of him stood none other than the beauty of whom he had heard a great deal about Miss Mary Keat. After Mary had helped Orion by tending to his wounds even though at first he had protested greatly; but after she gently began to clean and dress his wounds he stopped objecting for he touches were feather-light and he felt no pan when she cleaned his wounds carefully. Shortly after he had gotten well again Orion knew he had to return to the castle for his father was most likely very worried by this time; but the night before he was to return to the castle Orion had proposed to Mary and asked her to be his queen. Mary was so shocked and yet happy that she said yes without hesitation, Orion and Mary packed up her belongings and the next day the two lovers rode off towards Orion's castle. When Ella was born King Orion could not have been happier granted by law he needed a male heir to take over the throne when he passed on and his wife had by that time already blessed him with three wonderful sons; but King Orion had always longed for a daughter one he could pamper and spoil and call her his `little princess' then on the day when a terrible rainstorm had fallen over Vampcovia, Mary had gone into labor with her fourth child and a short while later she had given birth to a beautiful healthy baby girl. King Orion had named her Ella therefore giving her a name similar in meaning to that of her mothers and after Mary had passed away King Orion had gone into deep despair and depression he refused to leave his study and for days would eat nor drink. Then one night when Ella was still but a child King Orion had heard a soft knocking at the doors of his study becoming enraged that someone would dare disturb him Orion flung open the door only to see that young princess Ella had gotten out of bed and had running to his study with tears streaming down her cheeks, “Daddy why are you so sad you still have Nick, Ethan, and Solomon and I to be with you, please Daddy I know mommy wouldn't want you to be so sad” Ella had said as more tears continued to fall. Orion felt all sadness and depression leave him as he gazed into the tearful eyes of his only daughter, Orion smiled and picked up Ella and hugged her tightly then he took her to get a drink before tucking her back into bed and kissing her goodnight.
 
 
 
 
Now as she gazed at her father while standing there in her black off-the-shoulder dress she had begun to worry what trouble she had gotten herself into this time. “Ella, you remember how I always told you that you could not go storm riding with your brothers because it was not something my little lady should do correct?” King Orion asked his daughter carefully “yes daddy you have always told me that my brothers are allowed to go because they can take care of themselves and I am much too delicate to go with them, why do you ask?” Ella replied King Orion strode towards the door of his study he held the door open for Ella to exit first then motion for her to follow him without speaking a word. King Orion had walked with Ella at his side to the stables and before he opened the stable doors he turned to Ella to give her his answer to her earlier question. “Ella I have seen and have heard of how sad you have been lately and therefore I wish to give you my birthday gift to you a bit early this year” King Orion said and opened the doors to the stables revealing Ella's brothers Nick, Ethan, and Solomon standing behind them Nick holding the reigns of the most beautiful storm rider mount Ella had ever seen! “But I don't understand Daddy what made you change your mind” Ella asked happy yet curious as to how this had all come about “well your brothers were able to convince me to let you have this mount seeing as he is the most lady-like storm rider mount we could find, and they also convinced me to allow you to ride with them; but you are only to ride your mount when you have your brothers near you understand?” King Orion asked sternly only to be answered by his daughter throwing her arms around her fathers neck. “Oh Daddy thank you so much I promise I won't let you down thank you, thank you” Ella shrieked happily while hugging her father tightly “Oh and you'll need a uniform too before you can go riding with your brothers” King Orion stated after Ella had released her death grip from his neck “oh yeah I almost forgot but I don't where to find a uniform this time of night” Ella said glumly. Nick then approached his sister holding what appeared to be a bundle wrapped in a dark silky cloth Ella unwrapped the parcel to find a Storm Rides uniform made in exactly her size! “I had that made for you when you getting fitted for new dresses I thought that it would be good to have your measurements on hand when we ordered the uniform to be made hop you like it sis” Nick said and smiled as Ella ran her fingers gently over the uniform it was midnight black with a bright pink for the trim her brothers uniforms each had a different color trim and now she had one too! A few minutes later after Ella had rushed upstairs and quickly changed into her uniform and placed her waist length white and black stripped hair into a low ponytail she ran back outside to the stables where her brothers and their mounts waited for their sister to return, “here you go Ella just be careful when you dismount he'll start bucking if you're not careful” Ethan explained as he handed his sister the reigns of her mount “thanks for the advice Ethan” Ella replied as she mounted her rider who neighed in surprise Ella gently patted his long beautiful neck . Then Ella and her brothers took off to the skies with Ethan and Nick in the lead Solomon had stayed close to Ella so that he could help her if she needed him to. Meanwhile at the castle of WolvesBane the young prince Artemis gazed outside at the four figures he saw riding their Storm Riders throughout the night sky, “prince Artemis you seem upset might I ask what is troubling you my prince?” princess Ebony asked her brother as she approached him along with Luna the youngest of the three WolvesBane royal children. “It is just strange I have always seen three figures riding through the skies for years before now; but tonight there is a fourth rider among them the three I normally see are the Vampcovia brothers Ethan, Nick, and Solomon; but I am curious about this fourth rider” Artemis replied as he pulled his shoulder length dark blue hair away from his face. “That must be the brothers younger sister it is her birthday here in a few days the Vampcovia king is holding a ball for his only daughters 200th birthday he must have finally given in and allowed her to ride with her brothers that's why you have only just now seen all four of them at once” Ebony said as she joined her brother at the window, suddenly Artemis, Ebony and Luna saw the four young Storm Riders fly very close to their castle so close in fact they all three got a good look at the brothers. Then the two oldest brothers Ethan and Nick shot fire blasts at the window they stood in front of the blast came very close before it was put out by a stream of water their sat the princess Ella with her palm facing where the fire blast had been only moments earlier! “Aw c'mon Ella why'd you have to go and do that?” Ethan whined as he flew over to his sisters side “yeah we were just trying to have a bit of fun” Nick complained “yes but you were having fun at these peoples expense which is not right for you to do, besides do you really want me to have to tell father that the first time you take me out Storm Riding you tried to blow up part of the WolvesBane castle?! Father would have your heads for that” Ella replied her eyes beginning to turn bright red from anger. “Yes I agree with Ella we should head back now anyway or else father will know that we have taken Ella all the way out here when it's not safe for her or us” Solomon replied as he and the other two men pulled their mounts away from the window Ella took one last look at the window her brothers almost blew apart and could have possibly harmed someone. While on the other side of the glass Artemis, Ebony, and Luna were all shocked that Ella had gone against her brothers that way it was unheard of, and yet Artemis stood there transfixed by the beauty of the one creature he knew he would never be able to obtain but could not help yearning for her. Artemis had fallen for the Princess of the kingdom his family had sworn death to….he had fallen in love with vampire Princess Ella of the Vampcovia Kingdom!
 
 
End of Chapter 1