Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 1

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
The Judge got ready to speak. "Are you three ready to take on this job?"

"Yes, sir," said Julie Idaho. She had blond hair and green eyes. She was to be in charge of this new team.

"I'm ready," said Amy Westminster. With her brown hair and brown eyes, she didn't stand out quite as much.

"Yeah, I'm good to go!" said Joe Syphon. Brown-haired and blue-eyed, he barely qualified for the job.

"Very well," said the Judge. His own hair was grey and had largely disappeared. "Each of you will receive a copy of the List."

The Judge's Secretary, a blue-eyed blonde, brought out three pieces of paper. Each was a copy of a "List of Secrets".

There were eight people on the list: Sharon Mist, Iris Young, Herbert Highland, Ember Tyson, Eric Bales, Oliver Island, Tanya Thompson, and Nate Jones.

"Each person," said the Judge, "is keeping one of the secrets also on the list."

"And our job is to make them all come clean?" asked Julie.

The Judge nodded. "That is correct. Do you still wish to take part in this assignment?"

Julie, Amy and Joe all nodded.

"Good. I'd hate to have to replace any of you at this point. I'll let you look through the List a bit more before you start. Dismissed."

Later, the team got to look through the secrets. They were: "uses a false name," "shopaholic," "multiple sclerosis," "wears a wig to cover baldness," "transgender," "closet furry," "out-of-wedlock child," "downloads music illegally," and "drives without a license".

"Hey, what gives?" said Amy. "There are nine secrets, but only eight secret-holders!"

"Really?" said Joe. "I hadn't noticed."

Julie nodded. "I bet a false secret was thrown in just to keep us on our toes," she said.

"I guess that makes sense," replied Amy, "but why would the Judge do that?"

"I have no idea."

"Does is matter?" said Joe. "We'll just wait until there's a 'spare' secret, then see what happens."

"In any case," said Julie, "We should discuss how to go through this list."

"Since there's no real wrong way to do it," said Amy, "how about we just go to each secret-holder by the order they're listed in?"

"Sounds good to me. What do you think, Joe?"

"I have no objections," said Joe.

The next day, the List Investigators, as they were now called, reported to the Judge's office.

"The Judge isn't here right now," said the Secretary, "so he asked me to wish you luck on his behalf. So, good luck!"

"We'll be off now," said Julie. "We'll return as soon as we're done with all the secret-holders."

With that, the List Investigation officially began.