Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 2

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Julie, Amy and Joe were on a train. They were going to where the first person on the list, Sharon Mist, was living. They had hardly said anything to each other for the last half hour.

Finally, Julie could take no more. "Okay, what is it?" she said. "Amy, you've been rather quiet. Don't tell me you're having second thoughts about this."

"No," said Amy. "If I weren't fully committed to this job, I wouldn't have bothered going. I was just thinking how hard this will be on the secret-holders. I mean, how would you feel if you were one of them?"

For a split-second Julie seemed a bit surprised by this question. She then said "If I was on the List, I would hope the Investigators had the guts to do the right thing."

"C'mon you two," said Joe. "Could we hold off on the Deep and Meaningful Talk, and just enjoy the scenery?"

"You're right."

"I agree," said Amy.

An hour later, the three arrived at their destination. They took their stuff and got off the train.

Joe looked around. "Where do we go from here?" he asked.

"First off," said Julie, "we should check the nearest phone book and find out Sharon's address." Just then, she took a pill out of a bottle she was carrying, then swallowed it.

"I see a phone book over there!" said Amy, who was pointing to a nearby pay phone.

After checking the phone book, Julie led Amy and Joe to Sharon's house.

"Let me do the talking for now," said Julie, "and let's not mention the List unless we have to." She walked up the stairs and ran the bell.

Moments later, the door opened. A women stuck her head out. "Hello? Can I help you with something?"

"Are you Sharon Mist?" asked Julie.

"Why, yes I am."

"I'm Julie Idaho. These are Amy Westminster and Joe Syphon. We're with the authorities."

"Come inside," said Sharon. She fully opened the door, allowing her guests to enter.

"Let's get straight to the point, Ms. Mist..."

"Please, call me Sharon."

"Okay, and you can call me Julie."

"Please, take a seat." Sharon pointed to some chairs. Julie, Amy and Joe sat down.

"Like I was about to say," Julie continued, "this is not a social visit. The government has reason to believe there's a serious problem in your life, and we've been sent to find out what it is. So, is there something you wish to discuss?"

"You came all this way just to intrude on my privacy?"

"Maybe we should leave," Amy said.

Sharon shook her head. "No, your friend's just doing her job. Besides, there is something I need off my chest." She loooked down in shame. "My shopping habit. It's out of control!"

After nearly a minute, Julie got up to leave.

"No," Sharon said. "Don't leave just yet. I now realize I need to talk about this."