Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Wife ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"I'm packing as soon as we get home." Rea repeated, nodding firmly.
 
"Jeez, Claire, you can't leave. From what you've told me, it doesn't seem like he'll be coming back any time soon. Besides, where would you go?" Chelse countered.
 
Rea looked straight into her eyes before saying, "I hear China's pretty cheap."
 
"Oh, puh-lease." Chelse waved the answer away with a slight smile. Then her expression turned serious. "What would I do without you?"
 
"Chelse, you're the one always helping me out, so don't give me that."
 
"Well, is this the thanks you're giving me for helping you out?" Chelse had her hands on her hips. "I thought you had said you didn't know what you'd do without me."
 
"Ugh, Chelse... Now's not the time for a guilt trip. I'll come back to visit."
 
"Claire, you're not going anywhere."
 
"Chelse, this is a life and death situation. I told you; I'm not even sure if he doesn't know I'm alive."
 
"Well, you still have the shades if he comes back." Chelse pointed out.
 
"Sure, but my actions are gonna be a complete give away. When he came earlier, I could barely even speak." Rea sighed, remembering the embarrassing moment. What would she have done if Leo hadn't intervened?
 
"If he ever asks, tell him that you were just blown away by his beauty." Chelse only half-feigned dreaminess. "I mean, he is pretty hot, if I may say so myself. It would take more than some old grumpy king and his daughter to keep me away from that kind of body. Hmm!" Chelse kissed her fingers to her lips, demonstrating his perfection.
 
"Not helping." Rea mumbled. Oh, she knew he was nothing to be taken for granted, that's for sure!
 
"Okay, okay. Sorry. Think about this instead:" Chelse pointed to the large antique clock that hung on the wall. It was nearing closing time by a couple minutes. "If he's coming back today, it can only be in the next two minutes. After that, you're safe for the rest of the night. We'll go out if it'll help you forget about it." Chelse seemed to be looking forward to that.
 
Rea stared at the clock and sighed. Chelse was right; she was fretting way too much about this. "Okay." She agreed. Maybe a good night of dancing would wear her out enough to forget about it. "As long as Jamie's there."
 
Chelse smiled at her. "Of course." Jamie had become Rea's closest guy friend since she'd moved to the Big Apple. He was the funniest guy ever and she enjoyed his cheery company.
 
"Then it's set. You can help Marge with the dishes. I'll clean up here." Rea watched Chelse go and turned off one of the main lights of the restaurant. She upped the volume of the soft music playing as she wiped the round tables and flipped the chairs on top of them, but must've been so busy that she didn't hear the entrance door open.