Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Machinegun Angel ❯ Guardian Angel ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Episode 2: Guardian Angel Ophelia made her way back home after obtaining directions from Koto-san. She was sure to catch some slack coming home without laundry, but her mind was still glued to those ruby-red eyes belonging to the man who had saved her earlier. Gauge. Who was he? Why was he there? So many questions filled her mind while she walked the streets pondering if she should further break the rules and go after Gauge as Koto-san had asked her to. What were these feelings she had, and why had she grown so attached to him so quickly?

He reminded her of someone. There was a person in her past that she remembered so clearly as her very best friend. After that person had disappeared, she had often wondered where he had run off to. Spending years in an orphanage as a child had made her lonely up until meeting this friend, and Gauge looked so much like him. She wondered... if Gauge was a clone of him. It wasn't completely impossible.

It was decided then, that she would indeed follow him that night. Koto-san had given her the name of a place where Gauge had been seen hanging out, and she decided that that was the first place she would look for him. Besides, Dublin would be busy with patients all night, and probably wouldn't even notice her missing. After going home for a quick change, Ophelia headed back out into the streets and began her search for ailing Gauge. In her hands she carried the stuffed cat she had found earlier. She hoped to repair the missing eye and torn bow for him as a gesture of apology for slapping him earlier that day.

As she walked the streets, Ophelia's thoughts shifted to what her friend Monet had told her earlier about a "weapon" running loose in the city. Posters all along the streets told of the same thing. A mutated clone that had escaped from a RUBICON laboratory that was capable of massive damage if it saw fit to use the weapon. She read that the weapon appeared to be as normal a sub-human as any other clone, but was highly unstable and wanted dead or alive. These thoughts worried her, as she had never walked alone before. She only hoped she wouldn't run into anymore clones that day, as sad as that sounded.

Her travels brought her to an underground club. She could hear the loud thumping of industrial music filling her ears. It was like nothing she had ever heard before. She entered, walking down a stairwell and past the rather large doorman who gave her a swift push into the crowd. Ophelia's eyes tried to adjust in the darkness, and she suddenly felt extremely out of place. In the smoky air, she found she was surrounded by strange and unusual people dressed in leather and straps. This was definitely a new scene for her. A strong scent of clove cigarettes hung heavy in the air, as well as the stench of alcohol and sweat. She closed her eyes, wishing she hadn't been stupid enough to do this, but Gauge was so intriguing, and so amazingly beautiful! Her mind could not rest until she had the chance to see that face, and those gorgeous eyes once again.

And then she saw him. There in a dark corner, he stood rather slouched over and dressed much differently than earlier. His hair was done up in large spikes, and his body was caressed by tight black polished leather. He was definitely a vision, his eyes outlined with thick traces of black makeup that only accentuated his already amazing features. But this time Gauge was not alone. Ophelia was shocked to see a taller man standing over him. He was an older gentleman having long, wavy white hair, and an eye patch over his left eye. She wondered if Gauge knew him, or if they had just met. Within a few moments she unfortunately knew the answer.

The man reached his hand out to touch Gauge's pale cheek, and two fingers tilted his head up. Gauge's eyes dragged open slowly and gazed at the man before him. The man's other hand gently pulled Gauge's body towards his and began to kiss those soft, pouty lips before him. Gauge seemed to enjoy his kiss, taking his hand and grasping the man's head, pulling him in deeper. Soon enough, the two were all over each other. Ophelia could feel her heart shatter the moment she realized that Gauge was taken, and by another man no less. It wasn't that seeing two men together made her uncomfortable-- it was seeing GAUGE with someone else that made her feel that way. She couldn't watch anymore, and turned to the exit.

"Virgo-sama...” Gauge's weakened voice spoke as he accepted the man known as Virgo's kisses. "I... I can't do this tonight.” his voice was almost pleading as he tried to pull away from him. Virgo continued to lay kisses all over Gauge's cold, clammy skin. It didn't even occur to Virgo that Gauge was in a cold sweat, or that he had begun to shiver. "I... don't feel so hot. I think I'm going to have to call it a night early...”

The white-haired one looked to Gauge in dismay. He grew a bit concerned after seeing Gauge wince in agony. Virgo was a wise man, and knew pain when he saw it. He wondered if Gauge's bullet wounds from a few days earlier had gone uncared for. Like Koto-san, Virgo knew Gauge well, and knew he could be stubborn when it came to doctors. "Gauge, what is the matter? You're pale as a ghost!” he placed a warm hand on Gauge's cold forehead and watched him breathe heavily. Gauge was definitely in distress of some kind.

"It's nothing. I think I'm coming down with a cold again. I'll go home and sleep it off. I'll be all better by tomorrow, I promise!” he stumbled forward, and Virgo steadied him.

"Yes... I want you to rest, and if you are not better by tomorrow I will be calling my doctor to come see you, you hear me? I won’t hear 'No' from you, Gauge. I forbid it."

Gauge stumbled away. He threw on his long black coat and pushed through the crowd, ignoring the words of the man he was so close to. He needed to get out of there, and fast. His feet carried him to the back exit, and he quickly climbed the steps. Stumbling into some trash cans, he fell to his knees and began to throw up violently. He did this several times, and then crawled to a spot up against the brick wall, resting for a bit. His eyes opened, and his blurred vision saw the contents of his stomach across the way. It wasn't usual vomit-- it was blackish red in color, and thick like blood. He breathed heavy and was afraid to learn that the act had not made him feel any better. In fact, it had made him feel much worse. He turned to the wall and threw up once again, this time, nearly choking as blood sprayed out of his mouth and down the bricks. He began to cry as the pain all over his body grew so strong, and so unbearable that he knew he would surely die.

He didn't care. His hand covered his mouth as he continued to throw up dark red blood and clots. A voice called out from across the way to him, and his eyes widened, turning to the figure. "HEY! ARE YOU OKAY THERE? DO YOU NEED A HOSPITAL?"

Gauge's pupils dilated as the man shone his light at him, and he became frightened. He had no choice but to gather all of his strength and try to run.

--Ophelia walked sadly down the street and turned into an alley. She watched the little snowflakes that had seemingly let up, float carelessly from the sky to the wet cobblestones at her feet. Her heart was without a doubt broken. She knew she was married, so why did she feel this way about another man? ESPECIALLY one that was taken! A brisk wind hit her, and she felt a warm tear form in her eye.

She had no idea that eyes were glaring at her from the shadows, carefully undressing her as she walked. That one pair of eyes was joined by another, and another, until they surrounded her on all sides. Ophelia looked up from her daydream and saw the shadows moving in on her from the darkness. She stopped dead in her tracks and covered her mouth.

"Well well, look at this; a little princess has strayed from the castle!” a deep voice laughed. Her heart beat faster-- her eyes finally able to focus on who was standing before her, beside her and behind her...

A gang. They had found themselves a catch, and they weren't about to let her off the hook easily!


Ophelia's knees shook beneath her and she could feel her legs begin to give way. It was apparent she had been spotted, and by the looks of the shadows moving in on her, it was a street gang. She spun around to see she was trapped in an alley with no way out. Her aquamarine eyes grew large with terror as she stepped back against the wall.

"Hey there pretty thing, don't be scared! We won't hurt you!” one of the larger guys said as he pulled a chain from his pocket. "Just give us your money and we might just decide to let you go!” another joined in.

Ophelia shook her head-- one of the large biker-types getting right in her face, and blowing his alcohol and cigarette breath on her. She turned away. "I don't have any money! Just let me GO!” she could see they weren't about to take 'No' for an answer. Her heart was pounding in her chest, and she just wanted to cry. Was this the end for her? A cold hand groped her breast, fondling her, just as another pushed her further into the wall rather violently.

"Well then, I guess we'll just take YOU instead!"

Ophelia let out a scream as one of them tried to silence her by wrapping a spiked-chain around her neck. There were several of them, and she sensed this was definitely going to be the end for her. How could one girl fight several savage men twice her size?

She closed her eyes and began to pray for a miracle... an angel to come and rescue her.

With her teeth clenched together, Ophelia thought she heard the sound of a motorcycle in the distance. As the chain grew tighter, she swore it was getting closer. A few minutes later, the once hollow, distant sound had become a deafening roar. Her eyes slowly dragged open, and she looked over her attacker's shoulder.

The motorcycle engine roared twice more, and a slender silhouette appeared in the shadows. Ophelia could see a pair of glowing red eyes ahead of her, glaring directly at the gang members that slowly eased up on her and turned to the cloaked newcomer.

"Now now, boys, that's no way to treat a lady!” a familiar, soothing male voice spoke. Ophelia's eyes shot open when the figure stepped into the light.

"GAUGE!” she cried out; the chain once again tightened around her neck.

The large man who appeared to be the leader of the gang stepped forward to face Gauge, who stood there at barely over five and a half feet tall, draped in a short trench coat. Gauge was such a sight for sore eyes to Ophelia at first, but as she took a closer look at him, she could see he didn't appear the same as he did earlier that day. His face was pale, and looked glazed over with a cold sweat. Her heart broke as she watched his legs shake beneath him, trying to hold up that dangerously thin body. She could see the dark circles under his eyes, and the way his shoulders moved up and down as he breathed in a very distressed manor. There were speckles of dried blackish red blood in his silver hair and on his chin. Something was terribly wrong with him!

"Why don't you let her go, Redd?” Gauge muttered between breaths as he reached to his leg where his six-shooter was located. It appeared Gauge was familiar with these guys. "Don't you have anything better to do?”

The leader watched the familiar silver-haired clone reach for his weapon, and retrieved his own pointing directly at Gauge's head. "Just turn around and go back where you came from, Drifter. Or do you want me to shoot you again?”

Shoot him again? Was this the gang who attacked Koto-san's shop a few days earlier? The large gang member known as "Redd" lowered the gun and jammed it into Gauge's right shoulder. The boy let out a scream that echoed off the walls of the alleyway into the night. It was so full of agony that it made tears form in Ophelia's eyes. She watched Gauge fall to his knees onto the wet pavement, continuing to cry out in pain. Redd pulled away and headed back towards his fellow gang members.

"You BASTARD! How could you do that to him!?” Ophelia let out, struggling to get away from them. They immediately held her back. "He's HURT!” Ophelia wanted nothing more than to run to Gauge and help him, but she found it impossible. They were simply too large and too strong. Redd forced his ice cold gun against Ophelia's neck. She let out a cry, but knew it was too late.

She heard a gunshot, and a bullet struck the brick wall near her. Another shot fired and struck the wall. Ophelia was shocked to see Gauge had lifted himself up on wobbly legs, and was still trying desperately to protect her. "Gauge", she said quietly, as he moved in closer. He took two steps, then his eyes rolled back, and he stumbled, still managing to keep the gun aimed at Redd and the rest of the Cypress Alley Gang. He gritted his teeth, and a trail of blood streamed from his mouth. This is when Ophelia knew Gauge wouldn't hold out much longer. His wounds were so badly infected he was in septic shock. She knew he would die without a hospital.

But why did he want to protect her after she had been so rude? What was it about her that Gauge couldn't turn away from?

Gauge took a deep breath and coughed up blood onto the cobblestone ground.

Redd just laughed as Gauge stopped, barely able to move. He pulled the gun away from Ophelia, and whacked Gauge across the face with it. Gauge flew back and hit the ground on his backside. His gun fell from his grip, and he did not move. The rest of the gang laughed at him. "Go back to the gutter where you belong, Filth! This is OUR city... The HUMANS' CITY-- not garbage like you, sub-human scum! If it weren't for you we wouldn't have to live under the watch of those damned Sentinels! It's because of you we can't have fresh water or food without working our asses off! Kill all clones. That is our motto. And I think...”

he cocked the gun and aimed it at a now defenseless Gauge's head. "...I'll start with this one!".

"NO YOU WONT!” screamed Ophelia, as she swung her foot up and kicked him in the back. Redd turned around, and used the gun to strike Ophelia repeatedly. She could only cry out as the man hit her in the gut over and over until she tasted blood, and could no longer scream.

In his clouded mind, filled with the thick haze of agony, Gauge could hear them, and what they were doing to her. They were not only hitting her, killing her, but violating her as well. Her clothes were ripped off, and she was thrown down on the ground. Gauge's body could barely move, but he knew that she would die if he didn't try to help her. What could he do? He was out of ammo, and his body wasn't working. This woman... this nurse reminded him of someone. Someone he loved dearly. He reached up to grasp the cross chain around his neck.

"Ellie", he whispered. Then he knew what he had to do. There was no other choice.

His red eyes turned white in the darkness. The pupils that were once dilated and full of pain turned to a bright green, glowing like a reactor in the darkness. His limp body rose off of the cold wet ground, and began to omit a blinding green light. Ophelia was released momentarily while the boys turned to see what was happening...

...and they couldn’t believe their eyes. There, before them was this strange being... this alien creature blinding them with its light, and hovering over them ominously.

"I don't believe it!! It can't be! IT'S HIM!” one of the gang members cried out in terror.

Ophelia's eyes dragged open, and she could see the light. Was she dreaming? What was happening to Gauge?! Why was he glowing like this?!

Gauge's mind was not controlling the weapon that he had been cursed with. He could not stop the detonation sequence now that it had started. He was in too much pain to fight it, and in too much agony to care whether he completely detonated himself and destroyed the entire planet. A huge pair of wings exploded from his back and spread out to a span of 60 feet. These were not feathered wings, like a true angel, but energy... nuclear energy preparing to blow them to pieces. A halo of white light surrounded Gauge's head, and he still could not control it. His heart was beating so fast he swore it would stop.

"LET'S GET OUT OF HERE! NOW! THAT BASTARD IS THE MACHINEGUN ANGEL!” Redd yelled out over the roar of the weapon, preparing for detonation. They fled the scene almost as fast as they had arrived, leaving Ophelia alone with the uncontrolled bomb before her eyes. It was true. Gauge was a weapon of mass destruction! The one they called the Machinegun Angel!

Ophelia saw him not fighting to control it, and she knew he couldn't stop himself, even if her attackers were gone. She moved forward to where he was standing, slowly, wrapped only by small pieces of her torn dress. She covered her face and reached a hand out, stepping one foot at a time towards Gauge. She watched as large amounts of black blood poured from his mouth. "I'm here", she whispered to him, taking another step forward. A tear slipped from her eye. "I'm here Gauge, I'm okay... Please... calm down... just...”

Her arms reached out to him, the energy now encircling her as well. She knew she could possibly die, but she didn't care. He had saved her life earlier that day, and it was now her duty to help him in return, even if it meant her own life. Ophelia closed her eyes, and wrapped her body around his gently. She caressed his trembling body, pulling him closer to her

"Shhh", she cried, listening to his rapid heartbeat. His voice let out small cries of pain, as if he were trying to respond to her. Slowly his heartbeat began to rest, and the circles of energy, as well as his huge wings withdrew back into his body. The light in his eyes turned dark red once again, and the light ceased, dissipating into the cold night air.

Gauge's body fell limp in her arms, and they both collapsed to the ground.

Ophelia gently lifted his head and held him sympathetically, while in tears.

He wasn't breathing!

"Somebody HELP!” she cried out into the alley. "Hold on Gauge... Please STAY WITH ME!” she begged, caressing his head and cradling him gently. She didn't care that she had nearly been the victim of a nuclear weapon. All she knew at the moment was that this man had saved her. Her heart longed for him, and he had come to her when she prayed for him.

Gauge was Ophelia's guardian angel.

She needed to get him to the hospital IMMEDIATELY. His time was running out.