Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Mafia ❯ Volume Six, Chapter Twenty-Two: Time is Running Out ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

On October 1, Nikkita's illness got worse. He collapsed at ten in the morning. The butler found him when he missed breakfast. Nikkita was rushed to the hospital. Boris stood in the waiting room.

“Anything yet?” “Bob” asked. Boris shook his head. The men sat in the waiting room. One man looked up.

“What about Valentina?” he asked.

“I called her ten minutes ago,” Boris said. “She and Mikhael will be home soon.” He kept a brave face the whole time. He had to. Nikkita counted on him.

Plus, this would be a test.

---------

Valentina and Mikhael made it back to Japan the next morning. The mob princess looked so pale. She cried last night. Mikhael didn't know what to say. He just had to stay by her side.

“I'm so sorry,” he said on the plane. The mob princess said nothing. She didn't even look at him.

By morning, the cab took them to the hospital. Boris was the one to set her directions. He waited for them outside of the hospital.

“Thank you for telling us,” Valentina said.

“Are you okay?” Boris asked. She shook her head.

“Here,” he said as he handed her a tissue from his vest pocket.

“Thank you,” she whispered. Valentina took it and wiped her eyes.

“How is he?” Mikhael asked. Boris looked up.

“He's stable for now,” he said.

“Can I see him now?” Valentina asked with a whimper.

“He's sleeping right now,” Boris whispered.

“Please?” she pleaded. He patted her on the head.

“Alright, but you will have to be quiet,” Boris said.

“Thank you,” Valentina whispered. She walked up to the door to the room. Boris already moved aside. The mob princess walked into the room. It was just Boris and Mikhael in the hall. They didn't speak at first. Mikhael looked away.

“What happened?” he asked.

“The butler said he collapsed,” Boris said.

“No don't think he was…”

“No. They didn't find any poison or anything. It's the cancer.”

“Ah.”

“They are keeping him here for a couple of days.” Boris looked around for a moment.

“Listen, kid. There is something I need to tell you.” He spoke in a low voice. Mikhael tilted his head.

“What is it?” he asked. Boris beckoned him closer. The younger man walked over to him. Boris looked him in the eye.

“You have to stay by her,” he said. Mikhael started to speak, but Boris held up his hand.

“No, just listen,” he said. Mikhael drew his mouth closed.

“Thank you,” Boris said. He paused for a moment.

“She needs somebody by her side,” the older man said. “She doesn't know how much danger she's in. The boss is already vulnerable. We have guys watching over him. There are our men watching over Valentina. But she needs someone she can trust.”

“But she hates me!” Mikhael said.

“Shhh!” Boris whispered. The young man went quiet. Boris cleared his throat.

“I know,” he said. “But it has to be you. Don't ask questions. Just do it!” His tone was cold and sharp. Mikhael stared up at him. Boris was dead serious. There was no argument allowed. The young man dropped his head.

“Fine,” he said. Boris patted him on the shoulder.

“Good job,” the older man said in his ear. Mikhael forced himself to keep calm. Now, he was really trapped.

Meanwhile, Valentina sat beside her father as he slept in his hospital bed.

Time is Running Out