Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Monkey Wrench ❯ Armistice ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tuesday, January 11, 2005
2:50 p.m. EST
Uig's Hunt Farm
Doc Mitchell's Lab
 
I've decided I am going to seriously injure my brother. Yep, that sounds like a plan; mutilation, disfigurement, some good old fashioned maiming techniques are going to be incorporated and I assure you, he WILL NOT be spared my wrath. Why you ask? Well, if it hadn't been for his midnight high jinks in the woods doing God only knows what, I wouldn't be sitting here getting my fingers taped together like some sort of Vulcan hand signer in training by a werewolf doctor and his overly perky paper hat wearing British nurse.
 
Oh yes, fratricide is looking better and better. Seth should be damn happy Gage told him to stay in Dom's office or he'd be cruisin' for a bruisin' right about now. I snorted at my own delusions. Yeah right, and who was I kidding? I'd never be able to beat up Seth ever again. He was now a million times stronger than me and could probably snap me in two if he ever felt so inclined. Note to self: Get Seth a really good birthday present this year, something NOT from the Goodwill.
 
I was torn from my life preserving thoughts when Dr. Mitchell nodded in my direction, his signal to hop down off the table. He told me I'd only had very tiny hairline fractures on the upper portions of my middle and pinkie fingers, so there was no need for a cast. Loretta hadn't stopped talking since Rowan and I had come down to the lab. She kept apologizing for the Pack, saying how I mustn't judge them too harshly, most of them aren't used to living with humans and I was akin to an alien in their world. Yada, yada, yada.
 
So, I'm the human equivalent of Marvin the Martian crash landing in their backyard? Great, just what I wanted to hear, I might as well make good use of my taped fingers and flash the Star Trek Dr. Spock “live long and prosper” hand signal around every corner. Maybe that'll show these wolves I have no intention of invading their territory?
 
After a few too many of my placating smiles and reassuring nods in Loretta's direction, Doc asked her if she would go search for a patient file in his office. Apparently I wasn't the only one perturbed by her constant requests for forgiveness. I looked over at Rowan. He had been pacing the length of lab since we got here, obviously still trying to burn off his anger through non-violent means. Good luck with that.
 
Thanking Doc and Loretta I walked over to him, eyebrows raised in clear question of “what now?”
 
Rowan stared at my hand for a while. The white medical tape closely bound my middle finger with the index and my pinkie with the ring, it wasn't all that uncomfortable, but I still felt a throbbing pain every time I inadvertently knocked my hand into something; which was turning out to be far too often.
 
“Does it hurt?” Rowan asked, perfunctorily.
 
“No, it feels great. Best bone breaking I've had all year,” I answered straight faced. I mean what kind of question is that, of course it hurts you idiot!
 
Rowan's face grew stern; his appreciation for my sarcasm had gone the way of the dinosaurs, extinct.
 
“You're fine then, if you're throwing dull witted mockery in my face, you must be fine. Follow me, we're going to Dom's office, Gage should be there by now,” he replied.
 
I frowned at him. How could he find my witty repartee dull? Hmph, some people just have no appreciation for comedy, I bet he didn't like the Three Stooges either and they were hilarious. Realizing that Rowan was a full twenty feet ahead of me, I stopped internally berating his sense of humor and followed his figure diligently; practically ramming myself into his backside I was trailing him so closely. I didn't want any repeats of this afternoon, tail gating be damned. Two broken fingers was more than enough for me, thanks.
 
As my eyes flickered over the now familiar path to Dom's office, I thought back to this afternoon in the auditorium. Talk about strange. Why did Gage ask me to stay here if he knew it would incite the Pack like this? Why did my disapproving audience become so agreeable after Katie crushed my hand? And what the hell was up with that blinding flash of pain from the marks on my back when she hurt me?
 
I was going to found out soon enough, because Rowan, Gage or Dom was going to tell me. If not, I was just going to have to hunt down Loretta and have a little chit chat with the talkative nurse, there's more than one way to skin a wolf.
 
Strolling into the now familiar office I saw Seth sitting behind Dom's desk talking on the phone, he was looking at Dom and nodding his head in affirmation. The walking designer mannequin himself was circling Thursday, January 13th, in pencil on his massive desk calendar. Rowan motioned for me to take a seat on the red leather couch while he closed the heavy mahogany door behind him. I sat cross legged on far corner of the crocodile embossed behemoth, and waited for Dom to acknowledge our presence.
 
It didn't take long, for Seth was quickly wrapping up his conversation. Dom frowned at my taped hand and I wished I could find a pair of mittens so people wouldn't keep getting that pinched look on their face when they looked at me. At least it was winter; I could get away with it.
 
Dom asked the inevitable, “How is your hand Theryn?”
 
I smiled at Dom the same way I had smiled at Loretta previously. For some reason I wasn't as comfortable being a sarcastic bitch to the Uig Pack's chief dandy, plus, he might just decide to play along and I was in no mood for that right now.
 
“I'm fine; Dr. Mitchell said I've got some very small fractures, nothing major.”
 
It irked me to no end that Dom looked to Rowan for confirmation. Was I, the patient, not a good enough source of information on the state of my own goddamned hand? Silently fuming, I saw Seth mosey over to us and take a seat at the opposite end of the couch from me; he looked resigned to something, as to what I could only guess.
 
“Who were you talking to Seth?” I inquired curiously.
 
“Mom and Dad,” he answered.
 
Oh, so he'd called the `rents. I figured Mom and Dad would be calling to check in quite often, Seth was still their only son after all and it must be driving them crazy to just hand him over to the Uig Pack like this.
 
I gave my brother a toothy smile, “So was that the ninth or tenth time they've called today?”
 
Seth gave me an answering snort, “Naw, I've worked `em down to three times a day, morning, afternoon and night time. That was their 3:00 p.m. check in.”
 
I laughed knowingly, “Hey, better you than me.”
 
Seth gave me an equally knowing look, “Actually, that was about both of us.”
 
“What?” I exclaimed.
 
“Yeah, they want us to go visit the house on Thursday; they're taking off from work and making dinner. I told `em you'd be staying here for a while so they wanted to make sure we're okay,” he mumbled in a low tone.
 
I cradled my head in my left hand, rubbing my temples in annoyance, “Seth, tell me you didn't agree to this.”
 
“I had to Theryn. They were going to try to come here if we said no.”
 
Oh, that would be bad.
 
“Wait a minute, you didn't tell them about the attempted vampire kidnapping did you?” I ventured.
 
Dom slithered his way into our conversation like he'd been invited, “No, he did not. Nobody knows about it, except for the people in this room, Gage and his mate.”
 
“And Lisa McKinley,” Rowan added.
 
Dom made a disgusted face, as if he'd been personally insulted, “Yes, so I heard. I'll deal with her later.”
 
Worried for my best friend's life after hearing Dom's mafia-esque declaration I interjected, “What do you mean `deal with her?' Lisa won't tell anybody, she's not stupid.”
 
Rowan looked at me in aggravation, “Yeah, just like how you didn't tell her about your brother being bitten and my guarding you at your apartment. If she's anything like you, the whole town knows by now.”
 
Ready to defend my friend's honor, and by proxy my own, I stood up from my seat and whirled around with anger induced speed.
 
“So what if she does. It's not like YOU were any more discreet, turning into some gi-normous wolf creature in the middle of downtown Wilmington. Anyone could have seen you and that Viking vampire playing Roman gladiators in the parking lot.”
 
Rowan was livid, I could tell because his hands were in fists and Dom looked apprehensive, “`Playing?' Is that what you call a duel to the death? Playing? It seems you've forgotten little human that I saved your gods be damned life changing into that `gi-normous wolf creature' and you were all too willing to just sit back and watch.”
 
“Well what did you expect me to do, break out my Jujitsu on the guy? He was a freaking vampire Rowan, what else could I have done but sit back and watch? Oh, I know, maybe I could have run up to him in the middle of your fight and he could have snapped my neck and sucked me dry in front of you! That would have saved you the trouble.”
 
I had been slowly inching my way toward the object of my ire and he was now only a few feet away. There was no in between with Rowan and I, we were either arguing or well, at a forced détente on the cusp of arguing at any given moment and I was starting to really get sick of it. Ok, I get it; we don't get along, let's drop it and act like adults. Except neither of us would give up and it lead to embarrassing public spats like this. I hated being the center of attention, but I hated being told I was wrong even more.
 
Rowan's thunderous growl caught everyone's attention, “He would never have sucked your blood in front of me. I would have killed him before he had the chance. The point is, you'd be a dried up brittle husk if it weren't for me and I don't think I'd be asking too much for a little appreciation.”
 
Open mouthed I stared at him disbelief, “But I did thank you for saving me, or have you forgotten? Granted it wasn't exactly a vocal declaration but it was a thank you nonetheless.”
 
Rowan's eyes widened to saucers, and the appalled scorn was palpable in the timbre of his voice, “Are you telling me you did that as a thank you, because if that's the case, I'd love to see what you'd offer for your condolences.”
 
Oh that was too low, asshole. I hadn't meant it THAT way. Plus, the marks on my back were now throbbing, not in pain, but with a hurried dull beating that didn't match my heart. Great, now this thing decided to get in on the action. Despite the fun I was having, this was so not a discussion to be having in front of Dom and Seth, who by the way; seemed to be finding this whole exchange much more amusing than I did.
 
Giving Rowan a look that fairly screamed, `this isn't finished,' I looked pointedly at Dom and decided that a change of subject was in order and it might as well be for my benefit.
 
“Look, it's obvious I'm here under Gage's orders, because nobody else seems to want me here, present company included. So why's he so hell bent on me staying here? He had to know the Pack wasn't going to be thrilled with my presence.”
 
“I don't believe that's a question Dom can answer Theryn, but if you'll give me a minute I'll be happy to state my case,” said Gage, as he strode confidently into the office, all signs of his earlier anger had evaporated into nothingness.
 
Gage walked right up to me, but stopped at a distance just short of normal conversation. He smiled affably at me and tucked his hands into his worn Levis. I admit I was pacified by his good natured demeanor and while he did have that stern alpha side, it was apparent this was his true personality. I had misjudged him at first and thought him bipolar but it was my fault for not seeing the role of the alpha as separate from who he was as a person. As odd as it sounds, they were mutually exclusive entities, the leader and the man.
 
“Why dontcha take a seat and I'll do my best to fill in the blanks. In the meantime, Rowan, will ya take Seth down to Doc's for his blood work. Doc asked me to send him down next time I saw him, seems Loretta misplaced the vials they took last night and he needs to replace them.”
 
Rowan narrowed his eyes at Gage and me but did as he was asked, escorting Seth out the door and shutting it softly. My scratch marks stopped throbbing and settled into a warm impression, like thin trails of heated threads, it wasn't entirely unpleasant. I decided to try sitting down again, banking that I wouldn't be moved to such defensive postures without Rowan around.
 
Gage then turned to Dom and asked him to prepare for a meeting with Mastema. Yikes, and I though Dominaeus was the worst werewolf name around, spoke too soon. Dom grabbed what I thought was a horribly rusted spike sitting on his desk and marched out the door with unusual haste. No wonder, after handling that overgrown corroded nail I'd be heading down to Doc's for a preliminary tetanus shot too. The door clicked behind him and the room was left in a vacuous silence. So now it was just me and the Alpha, (for he was now in full leader mode) time to get down to business.
 
Looking at Gage straight in his brilliant blue eyes I restated my previous question, why had he insisted I come here, especially with the Pack detesting humans?
 
He sat down beside me and smirked slightly in response, “You're mistaken Theryn. The Pack doesn't detest humans; they're just not used to living with one, or treating one as an honored guest. To most werewolves, my bestowing such an honor upon you was sacrilegious in a way.”
 
“Why?” I asked, honestly perplexed.
 
“I'm sure you're aware that many Snibs feel that humans are an inferior species, and pardon my frankness but from a purely factual standpoint, it's true. It doesn't help that many Were species often grow up in a pack, pride, flock or whatever the case may be and in doing so, have little if any true interaction with humans. It works a bit like propaganda, Weres are told they're superior and no humans are around to deny the claim, so it becomes gospel to many of us.”
 
I was learning about Were culture by inches and I was miles behind where I needed to be. I was also coming to realize that I was a lot less like a crash landed Martian and a lot more like a Jew in Nazi Germany. I had to know what kind of brainwashing I was dealing with here.
 
“Is that what the Uig Pack promotes, this propaganda that humans are worthless?”
 
Gage looked offended, “No, not at all. But you must understand, while my word is law as long as I'm capable of upholding my right to be alpha; children are influenced by other sources. It is simply a case of ignorance, much like your species' struggle with racism. It's not that different for Weres except our discrimination is limited to an outside group. Those that are higher up in the ranks, like myself, Rowan, Dom, Doc… we have to deal with all types of different species on a regular basis, humans included, so we know better.”
 
“Okay fine, I get it. The Weres are falling for elitist propaganda and don't have to question its validity because the targeted group doesn't associate with them, except for the Pack leaders. So, if that's the case, explain to me why you wanted me here. Is this your attempt at some sort of progressive Were-Human integration policy?”
 
“No,” Gage replied, shaking his head ruefully, “Quite simply I feared for Rowan's safety if he stayed at your apartment much longer.”
 
What? Rowan's safety? Wasn't I the one who was captured by bloodsuckers? Okay back up the logic train here Gage, I just missed my stop.
 
“Ah, was Rowan in danger at my place?”
 
Gage looked at me seriously, “Not from Nikolai or the vampires Theryn, but from you. I see I'm already too late with the claiming mark but at least he stopped himself before things went any further.”
 
I quickly brought my head down in embarrassment. So Gage knew about that mark huh? Does he know just how far things went? Twice? Damn it, I didn't take Rowan as the type to kiss and tell but maybe it was obvious to all the werewolves. Like a `I had sex with Rowan' advertisement plastered on my back, right above the `for a good time, call Theryn: 1-800-IAMEASY' number on my ass. Great. Nothing like meeting the Pack as the Beta Guard's inferior human slut as my first impression.
 
Gage guessed at my humiliation, “Nobody knew about the mark except me. Well, that was until this afternoon when Rowan came barreling into the auditorium in full out defensive rage--”
 
I threw my head up so fast then ends of my hair hit Gage in the face, “What do you mean, everybody knows now?”
 
“Not everybody, just the people who were in the room when your mark flared…although that was just about the entire pack save a few who were on assignment at the time...”
 
Forgetting to cower in mortification, I picked up on the middle of his statement.
 
“When my mark flared? Is that what felt like red hot pokers being branded into my skin?”
 
His face took on that pinched look I'd been receiving all day, “Yes that was the mark doing its job. Alerting Rowan that you were in sufficient pain as to warrant protection from danger, otherwise we'd have never known you were hurt.”
 
Well that certainly explained a lot, and lo and behold, Gage had answered all my questions save one, so I tried to make it 3 for 3.
 
“Okay, so why did the Pack suddenly become a lot less hostile towards me after my mark flared? Was it because they didn't want to piss off Rowan?”
 
Gage laughed dryly, “Well, yes that's part of it. More than that significant factor though, is the fact that Rowan's mark on you sort of makes you an honorary lupus.”
 
My eyes widened at this statement. An honorary lupus, eh? Sounds like a mighty tall order for a bunch of Weres raised to believe all humans were a lesser species and I said as much to Gage.
 
He understood my wariness with that innate emotional radar of his, smiling slightly while the leather couch made creaking sounds as he maneuvered his long legs to face me.
 
“While everyone knows you're still human, the intended non-Were mates of our pack members are treated differently than a regular non-Were. The only reason I hadn't introduced you as Rowan's intended was because I knew he was planning on letting the mark fade after a week and that neither of you would really want the Pack to know about your personal business. Unfortunately, I hadn't planned for such an early and strong clash of human and werewolf nature.”
 
Great, nothing like your continued existence hinging on the metaphysical integrity of a rapidly fading claiming mark, I knew I should have brought my gun.
 
“So now that the Pack thinks I'm Rowan's future mate, which is a lie because the mark will gone in a week, I'm supposed to be safe among the wolves?”
 
Gage quickly addressed my anxieties, “You would have been safe regardless, as I have ordered your stay here and the Pack would have respected my wishes. Now, you'll be treated like a future pack member, although they've never had to deal with the prospect of a human pack member before, so this will be interesting.”
 
“What's going to happen when the mark fades and they all realize I was nothing but a conveniently available female for their sexually frustrated Beta Guard?” I asked snidely.
 
Gage wanted to scold me for my description of events but hey, it was the truth, I like calling a spade a spade.
 
“It's not unheard of for werewolves to wait a while longer before the bonding mark, although they usually renew the claiming mark in the mean time…No matter, they know Rowan is a special case and will just chalk it up to cold feet or something like that, you won't be treated harshly because of it.”
 
Good to know. Oh yeah, two last things to get straight.
 
“How long do you expect me to stay here?”
 
Gage's voice brokered no arguments, “For as long as it takes, Theryn; until we know why Nikolai and the vampires are after you and Seth, and only then after we've dealt with them accordingly. I've got whole teams of people working on this, digging for information, checking sources, etc. It's just a matter of time.”
 
Well that was an evasive answer worthy of a Presidential press conference. I needed something a little more concrete.
 
“That's the problem; I don't have a whole lot of time. This could take a while and I can't go to school and work and stay down here at the same time. It's just too far away. And don't tell me to quit because that's not an option.”
 
“We'll worry about logistics when the time comes to it. Believe me; I want this taken care of as quickly as possible. Let's just agree to have you stay with us until your classes start in three weeks, we'll mark that tree when we get to it.”
 
Nodded my agreement, I conceded to his demands. They were reasonable after all; Gage was so much easier to deal with than Rowan. Thinking of having to deal with that next confrontation, I was suddenly overcome by tiredness; it seemed nothing could keep my eyelids from drooping. It was time to wrap this up before I crashed on Dom's office couch for a long siesta.
 
But before I succumbed to my favorite pastime, the grossly underrated afternoon nap, I had to find out one last thing.
 
“Now that I'm supposed to be cool with the werewolves, being an honorary lupus and all, I have one small albeit important concern for my safety. What was up with that entire section of women who looked like they wanted to crucify where I stood after my mark flared?”
 
Gage looked sympathetic, and I was fairly sure it wasn't meant for me.
 
“Rowan is a bit of ah, um, heartthrob around here. Many of the teenage and sadly, quite a few of the older unmated girls harbor rather significant crushes on him and while he does nothing to encourage it, the sentiments run deep.”
 
I had no sympathy, “Seems to me like they should get a life, if a guy had shown no obvious interest in me for this long, I know I wouldn't be pining away for him. Unrequited love is a waste of time. Is there a shortage of single guys around here?”
 
Gage shook his head fervently, “We're not like humans when it comes to mating Theryn. Our animal side rules this part of our brain fiercely. Rowan is the strongest member of this pack, therefore he is the most sought after mate, and it's as simple as that. It doesn't hurt that he's handsome, but it wouldn't have mattered, instincts are always stronger than our surface emotions, where I believe it is the opposite with humans.”
 
Yep, couldn't argue with that explanation.
 
“You're right; humans can turn off even the most powerful of our instincts. No girl in her right mind would marry an unemployed, uneducated slacker who lived in his mother's basement, no matter how hot he was. Guess you guys got the short end of the stick on that one,” I pointed out good naturedly.
 
Gage was not amused, “I'll acknowledge our differences Theryn, but I won't speak ill of my species' nature. There are many advantages to being a lupinara, even when they may seem encumbering at first.”
 
Yielding to his contention, I stared at the door behind Gage. I needed to take a nap pronto; I hadn't really slept all that much last night and I prefer to have ten hours of sleep or more. Too many days running on too little sleep and my brain shuts down. I'm reduced to grunting and pointing like a Turret's addled mime. Not a state I wanted to be found in while living amongst the Uig Pack, honorary lupus or not.
 
“I think I'm all set Gage, if you could just point me in the direction of my room…”
 
Slapping himself on the forehead and visibly returning to his natural folksy mannerisms, Gage shook his head in self admonishment, “Of course, of course, you'll want to be gettin' settled. I'll call for somebody to show ya where it is.”
 
“I'm sure I can find it on my own, you don't have to call someone for me--”
 
“No, no, no, you'll never find it. It's on the third floor, in the guest wing. You'd get lost for sure,” Gage replied, while ducking his head out the door.
 
I really didn't want to have somebody escort me to my room. It reminded me too much of Katie and her orders fit for royalty. Just write down the directions Gage, I can only get so lost in a house, even if it does have its own zip code…
 
“Ah, here ya go, Theryn. I've got just the person for you. I think you've met her already.”
 
Great, Fifi the maid was playing her part and would escort the stupid human girl to her chambers. I hope she wasn't one of Rowan's groupies; I wasn't ready to deal with that right now.
 
“Meghan here will show ya the way. I got lucky; she came around the corner just as I was looking for somebody. I'll be here if ya need anything; see ya at dinner.”
 
And with that, Gage shooed me out of the office and shut the door behind me. Meghan turned out to be the bleached blonde I'd met in the kitchen on Saturday. She was also the one person I had recently declared not wanting to meet in a dark alley anytime soon; well a dark hallway wasn't too far off.
 
“Hi! Great to see ya! I like didn't think I'd ever, like, see you back here again,” Meghan squealed.
 
“Yeah, me either, guess we were both wrong.”
 
Flashing her eerily backlit topaz eyes at me she smiled, “So what's with you and Rowan? You guys like, going out and stuff? Damn, you like, work really fast.”
 
Shrugging my shoulders with indifference I answered, “I'm really tired; can you show me where I'm staying?”
 
Meghan seemed disappointed with my evasion but she offered an excited, “Sure!” and led me up the hallway and up the grand staircase from the front foyer. This place was like a casually dressed Hollywood mansion. It didn't have crystal chandeliers or ornate carpets, which seemed mighty extraneous considering its location on a backwater like Elijah's Island, not to mention it housed a pack full of werewolves.
 
The stair case was a highly polished dark wood, it looked like mahogany again. The walls were a lush jungle green, pained in a high gloss, so they shined as if covered in glass. As we ascended the second flight of steps to the third floor, the walls were paneled with various inlaid woods, light, medium and dark. The patterns were unfamiliar to me but it was beautiful, the work of a master, looks like one of these wolves was real handy with a jigsaw.
 
Finally making it up the steps, and embarrassingly wheezing like an asthmatic smoker at a marathon, I entered the `guest wing.' Meghan gestured to me to follow her around the corner and we came to a dead end. There were two hallways branching from the hall like a T, and we turned right.
 
Gage had been right; I would never have found my room. We must have made twelve meandering turns before Meghan opened a large oak and cherry engraved door and told me to make sure I sat with her at dinner. We apparently had so many things in common that I'd make the perfect dinner companion. I thought, not so much but I told her I'd look for her regardless. No need to piss off little Miss Dagger Eyes this early in the game.
 
I didn't even look for my stuff. I just shut the door, flung my shoes off my feet and flopped myself on the gargantuan king sized bed. It had a perfectly plumped goose down feather comforter mattress and it felt wonderful. I barely had time to ponder the good fortune of my recently cured myopia and subsequent contact-less existence before my eyes shut in contentment. I smiled with my last coherent thought: no waking up in the wolf den with crusty contacts this time Theryn, and none of Loretta's whistling to boot, it can only get better from here.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------
 
5:30 p.m. EST
Uig's Hunt Farm
Theryn's Guest Bedroom
 
RAP! RAP! RAP!
 
What the hell?
 
“Theryn! Wake up; they're serving dinner in an hour. I'll come up to get you at twenty after six!” Seth bellowed through the heavy door.
 
I heard his footsteps shuffle down the hall and cursed my brother for waking me. I wanted to stay here and sleep away my lupinara house arrest and instead my oppressors were making me mingle, and bribing me with food no less. Damn those wolves for knowing my greatest weakness.
 
Rolling off the wonderfully cushy bed I began scanning the room for my personal affects brought up by some random girl earlier this afternoon. My old green duffle bag was sitting on one of those luggage stands that you see in hotels in the far corner near the adjoining bathroom.
 
I decided to take a quick shower and change my clothes since the ones I had on were so wrinkled it looked like I'd been practicing origami with them. I'll give the werewolves one thing, they sure knew how to treat a guest, that bathroom was better stocked than the penthouse at the Waldorf Astoria.
 
I changed clothes and found a pair of khaki cotton pants and a raspberry colored cardigan. The deep pink gave my pale skin and dark hair a much needed color boost and I didn't want to look half dead in my first real interaction among the werewolves. Unfortunately, the sweater had last been worn by my mom and she'd shrunk it in the dryer before giving it back to me. Oh well, the wolves already think I'm Rowan's pathetic human sex toy, might as well look the part. Putting on as much make up as I could with my left hand (mascara was definitely not an option) I heard my cell phone beeping. I'd actually turned that thing on?
 
Throwing my lip gloss back in my bag I headed toward the phone and saw that Lisa had left me a message to call her with an update on how I was doing. Was it kosher to get her more involved in this? She already knew about Seth and Rowan and the whole debacle with the vampires, but I didn't want to give Dom any more reason to `deal with her' than I already had. But Lisa will be mega pissed if I didn't tell her what was going on and who knows how long I'd be expected to stay here?
 
Mind made up, I called her cell and was answered on the last ring before voicemail.
 
“Theryn! What's it like living with the werewolves, you've got to tell me EVERYTHING!”
 
I cringed as I heard numerous honks and horns in the background. I checked the time. Yep, Lisa would be driving home right about now, who knows how many poor saps she just cut off trying to get to her exit at the last second.
 
“So far, I've managed to make a spectacle of myself in front of the entire pack and then get my fingers broken by the alpha's mate, then I took a two hour nap, so aside from that, same old, same old. How `bout you?”
 
Lisa wasn't one to gloss over details, “Wait a minute, what happened? How'd you break your fingers?”
 
“There was a bit of a misunderstanding, you know, my delicate human bones just happened to be in the way of her crushing vise-like grip, silly weak little things that they are. Nothing major, I don't have a cast or anything.” I answered over the sounds of tires squealing.
 
“Really, sounds like fun. Hey do you know how to get to The Bluecoat Inn, it's supposed to be in Dover somewhere?”
 
“Uh Lease, you are asking me for directions? The girl who couldn't find her seat in kindergarten for a year! I couldn't find my way out of a paper bag; much less tell you where it is.”
 
“That's what I figured but since it was a restaurant I thought you might know.”
 
“Nope, I've never heard of it, which is weird. I was on staff last semester when The Wilmington Gazette published its restaurant guide; there was no Bluecoat Inn a month ago. It must be new. Why are you going there?”
 
“My boss told me to meet one of new our clients there for dinner tonight, I'm supposed to sell him the Prevecet; you know that new hormone balancing drug we just developed? Dr. Selso is supposed to be a specialist in chemical imbalances.”
 
Lisa was a pharmaceutical sales rep and she was always wining and dining doctors and pharmacists to hawk her company's medications over some cheaper generic brand. This was how she met so many guys, and this wasn't the first time I'd considered quitting my nearly all female English masters program for a job like hers. Knew I should have taken the science track in college.
 
“While extolling the virtues of overpriced placebos to opportunistic doctors sounds like fun, I can't help you with the restaurant. Try calling their number and ask if they can give you directions.”
 
“Yeah I tried the number and all I got was a busy signal. Apparently Dr. Selso specifically requested this place so I can't just ask him to meet me somewhere else. Don't worry about it, I'll find it eventually. We're not supposed to meet until 7:00 anyway.”
 
“Okay, well be careful and try not to hit on him if he's married.”
 
“Oh Christ Theryn, that was one time and he WAS separated, I swear.”
 
“He still had his ring on Lease, he was MARRIED. Or have you forgotten about his wife scratching `Home wrecking Bitch' on the hood of your car.”
 
“You get so hung up on the technicalities. Fine, I promise, if he has a ring I won't be too aggressive.”
 
“You know, you really shouldn't do it if he has a steady girlfriend either--”
 
“Now that's going too far. Girlfriends are ALWAYS expendable, so no ring means fair game. I better get going if I'm going to make this date, um appointment on time so I'll talk to ya later.”
 
I laughed at her word play, if Lisa had anything to say about it, this would be a date indeed.
 
“Have fun, and let me know how the food is, I'm always looking for new restaurants.”
 
“Yes, Theryn, I'm going out with a young, possibly unmarried doctor and I'll let you know how the FOOD is. God your priorities are so screwed up. I think it's time for an intervention. That is if Rowan hasn't already done it. Call ya later, bye.”
 
I stared at the wall while listening to the dismissing drone of the dial tone in my ear. Priorities screwed up? Intervention? And what was she talking about with Rowan? I wasn't the one getting accusatory obscenities scratched onto my car. At least, I didn't think I was. Hopefully none of those hormonal Beta Guard groupies were practicing their engraving on my beloved station wagon.
 
Hearing my brother knock on my door I saw it was 6:20 and dinner would be ready in ten minutes. My stomach tightened into a knot and a tight ball of tension struck me nearly immobile as I made my way to the entrance to let him in. I really didn't want to go downstairs and pretend this afternoon hadn't happened. All those people I didn't know would be treating me different all because of some false pretense that I was Rowan's intended mate. I hated pretending to be something I'm not, it's why I was always the program writer in school plays, I could never `be' anyone other than me and that wasn't exactly a play director's first choice when it came to potential actors.
 
Taking a deep breath, I opened the door to find not only my brother looking down at me but the pink lipstick and bubblegum chewing smile of Meghan greeting me at the threshold. Oh no, was it too late to feign sickness? I really didn't want to hang out with her.
 
“Hey! I like, love that sweater! It totally, like doesn't make you look fat at all.”
 
Wow, what do you say to something like that, “Thanks,” I ventured.
 
“You ready?” Seth asked.
 
“Yeah, let me just grab my shoes,” I responded, after realizing I was without footwear.
 
I found my low heeled brown leather loafers in my bag and watched as Meghan gawked at them horror. I suppose my choice was sadly disappointing after I'd done such a good job with my sweater. Oh well, can't win them all.
 
Following the two of them through the winding halls, I listened as they talked animatedly about a band I had never heard of. I couldn't believe my brother was friends with this chick; he usually had pretty good taste when it came to girls. At least, they were never so blatantly shallow. I guess his preferences changed along with his biological make up, can't really fault him for that. Although that didn't mean I wasn't going to let him know what I thought of the little blonde airhead. She was no good for him, I could tell, sister's intuition.
 
When we came down the steps to the first floor there were still many people milling around, sitting in chairs, in various cliques and groups of friends. It struck me that the Pack lived out their entire lives as if being in perpetual boarding school. From birth to death they grew up with the same group of friends, lived in the same place, and even ate in a common dining hall for Christ's sake. There was a very strong group-think mentality running through these werewolves and my American bred self-sufficient individualism balked at such socialistic values.
 
I had a new appreciation for Seth's adaptability. I could never have lived like this if I had been the one bitten, I'd have gone the way of my sire and become a lone wolf as well. Communal living was not my cup of tea, I had a taste of it freshmen year in the college dorms and because of it, promptly moved to an apartment my sophomore year.
 
We passed the others on our way to the dining room and they all gave me a wide berth. A few stared at me and a few gave me not so welcoming looks but the majority was rather friendly. I received smiles and a couple of “hello's” so I guess I was okay.
 
Seth and Meghan ushered me to a table with Gage, Katie and Rowan and left to sit at the opposite end of the room. I saw my brother being paged to a long rectangular table, surrounded by an entire legion of teenaged werewolves. Good to know he was making friends, but that had never been a problem for Seth.
 
I took the seat beside Rowan because that was the only one available. I hadn't forgotten about our fight in Dom's office earlier and I wasn't about to pretend I was over it. He had accused me of sleeping with him as a perfunctory `thanks' for saving my life and then implied I was easy. I admit I thought he'd slept with me out of pity or frustration but I'd never accused him of being a man whore and there was one thing I was certain of, I WAS NOT easy. I don't know what came over me last night but it wouldn't happen again, and I didn't care if Niagara Falls came out of my eyes, there would be no crying induced horniness tonight.
 
Katie cleared her throat and apologized for breaking my fingers. What could I do, not accept? I nodded mutely and then told her I understood she hadn't meant to hurt me. How was I to know that my running out of the room in panic would have incited the Pack's hunting instincts? I guess a few broken fingers were better than being dead.
 
Dinner was served promptly at 6:30, with servers carrying trays piled high with silver domed entrees. I noticed our table was served first, and I decided sitting with the alpha was not such a bad idea afterall. As soon as our plates were in front of us, everyone else was served at once. Soon the dining room was as loud and raucous as any university cafeteria at dinnertime.
 
Gage began cutting into his enormous steak and smiled at me over his plate.
 
“You're not a vegetarian are you Theryn?”
 
I almost snorted water through my nose, me a vegetarian? I'd have to eat nothing but broccoli because that was the only vegetable I liked.
 
“No, just the opposite in fact, vegetables are my least favorite food.”
 
Katie smiled broadly at me.
 
“Well good thing, because we serve a lot of meat around here. We are wolves you know,” she reminded.
 
Gage and Rowan gave her a quelling look but she just continued to chomp heartily at her rib eye. I get the picture lady, I'm a puny human and you're a bunch of mighty morphin' power wolves. No need to remind me of our differences.
 
I ate clumsily with my left hand, and mostly in silence since Katie and Gage were talking about some pack business that had something to do with land development in Dover. I guess the Pack wasn't above dealing with puny humans if it brought in some more moolah for their werewolf Taj Mahal. Rowan had volunteered to cut my steak for me earlier and after sitting there feeling like a four year old we both started looking at everything but each other and it was gloriously uncomfortable.
 
It was getting hot in the dining hall with the large numbers of werewolves and the massive stone fireplace putting out enough heat to melt a polar ice cap. I was sweating through my undershirt and the hair on the back of my neck was wet. I grabbed the ponytail holder I always keep on my wrist with my right thumb and made a valiant effort to pull it back.
 
All it did was make me very frustrated. After hearing a multitude of expletives being muttered under my breath, Rowan dropped his fork and grabbed the elastic band from around my thumb. He wrapped my hair around his fist and after pulling it back (none too gently might I add) made a passing good impression of a low slung bun.
 
Grunting a cursory “thanks,” I turned away from him and finished my dinner, slightly cooler than before.
 
As I excused myself from the table, I saw Rowan follow me out of the still fully populated dining hall. Great, just what I needed, maybe we could find something else to argue about on our way to finishing the argument from earlier. Would this ever stop?
 
I ignored him and made my way up the three flights of steps to the guest wing at a clipped pace. Just as I made my right turn and was trying to remember how the hell Meghan had brought me to my room this afternoon, Rowan put his hand on my shoulder and spun me around to face him.
 
“Don't you think the silent treatment is little a bit juvenile?” he asked.
 
Okay, I had to admit, we were acting like children, and I had so few allies here…
 
“Yeah, it is. Do you think you could lead me to my room, I have no idea where I'm going and for all I know I could open a door and end up in another dimension or something.” I said chuckling.
 
Rowan let his hand slide off my shoulder with deliberate slowness, as if I'd said something that hit a little too close to home. Hmmmm, so maybe there was some kind of deep space wormhole hidden in the house? Somehow that wouldn't surprise me.
 
I followed Rowan's jeans clad butt along the dimly lit hallways. When he stopped at the door to my room my stomach leapt with butterflies. I felt stupid. I'd slept with this guy already and here I was acting like a gawky teenager on her first date. Channeling my inner Lisa I invited him inside, no reason why we couldn't have a civil conversation within the confines of my room.
 
I turned on the light and threw my shoes off in the corner. Rowan shifted his weight from foot to foot, obviously wondering why I'd started to undress in front of him. Easy there bud, it's just the shoes, not a strip tease. I sat on the bed and crossed my legs, right over left. He was still standing there, eyes flicking all over the room.
 
Might as well get this over with.
 
“I just want you to know that what happened last night wasn't my way of thanking you for killing those vampires. I did it because— well I'm not really sure why, but it felt right at the time. I…um… what I'm failing at trying to say politely is, I'm not a slut. I don't sleep around, your only the third guy ever been with and I don't know why I care but I don't want you to think I'm the type of person to hop into bed with someone I've only known for three days, present company excepted.” I stammered.
 
Then I added the part I hated, the apology, “I'm sorry if that's how last night came across. I'm not very good with conveying my emotions and I always manage to screw things up.”
 
I stared down at the floor not wanting to look at his face. How are you supposed to act when trying to convince the guy you've known for less than a week and slept with last night that you're not some cheap ho? Yeah, I don't think they've covered that one on Dr. Phil yet.
 
Rowan let out a sigh.
 
“Look at me Theryn.”
 
I obliged and turned my face up.
 
He put his hands on his hips and looked down at me like a lecturing school teacher, “I know you're not a slut. Do you think I would have had anything to do with you if you were? I shouldn't have accused you of being easy in Dom's office. I was angry and it just slipped out.”
 
Right, slip of the tongue and let's hear what our favorite psychoanalyst Freud has to say about those.
 
“Sure, these things happen. But I'm not stupid Rowan, if you hadn't had any lingering doubts it wouldn't have `slipped out' in the first place. It's fine. We're not in marriage counseling or anything; you don't have to come to terms with it. I just wanted to make a point.”
 
Rowan wasn't placated though, “You have got to be the most obstinate and unforgiving woman I have ever met. We've both apologized for our actions and you sit here and expect me to accept yours while you throw mine aside like I didn't mean it. How you get to these conclusions I will never know?”
 
Excuse me? Obstinate and unforgiving? I'd just said it was fine, no harm done. Why was this so difficult to understand?
 
“I don't see where I `threw' your apology aside. I simply stated that you must have been harboring those doubts before hand, otherwise you would have never accused me of giving you a, I don't know what you'd call it… a gratitude fuck, perhaps?”
 
Rowan was pacing, “It was in the heat of an argument, emotions are running high, and our defenses go up. We've all said things we didn't mean at the time.”
 
Okay, I'd called it. Rowan and I were now in full blown argument mode again. I think it was comfortable for us, it was all we knew. This routine debate was our form of conversation and while familiar, it was no longer necessary. It was time to either end this now, or go our separate ways.
 
I stood up from the bed and said in a nice, calm, soft voice, “Rowan, we've got to stop this. Every time we talk about something more controversial than the weather we argue. I know we don't exactly get along like normal people but there's this mark on my back and you've killed vampires for me and I'm in this house with a bunch of werewolves I don't know or trust. The important thing for me is that for all your faults, I trust you implicitly.”
 
He had no idea he was in very exclusive company. I trusted no one. I loved my family, but I couldn't trust them wholly. Lisa had been my best friend since grade school, but I didn't trust her without reservation. Rowan had earned my trust by saving my life and comforting me when even I had no idea what do for me. Plus, he'd consistently come to my rescue and I truly believe had my best interests at heart, even if I didn't agree with them.
 
Rowan was speechless. He stared at me for a minute while I fidgeted with my hair. The bun came loose and my dark strands slithered from the elastic like uncoiling snakes. The cardigan I was wearing had a scooped neckline, both front and back, so the upper portion of the claiming mark was visible in the mirror behind me. I'd completely forgotten about the mark when I'd put my hair up and now felt ashamed, like I'd been displaying it in the dining hall like a trophy.
 
Rowan finally found his voice, “Thank you. I didn't know,” he responded softly.
 
I smiled back at him, “Yeah well, I'm not going to get a t-shirt or anything so don't get too excited,” I joked.
 
He shook his head in tolerated amusement, “You sure know how to deflate a guy's ego.”
 
Oh, he would learn, that was my specialty.
 
“It's what I do best. Now do me a favor and point me in the direction of the library. I've got lots of time to kill and books are calling my name.”
 
He smiled at my enthusiasm, “There's a library on the second floor. It's mainly used by the students in the high school wing, but it's open to everyone.”
 
“Perfect,” I exclaimed, “I want to learn more about Snibs.”
 
Rowan puffed up proudly, “I can answer any questions you might have…”
 
“No, not just werewolves, although you're a fascinating bunch as well,” I assured, “but other types of Weres, and vampires, Spell Casters, mages, the fey, the whole nine yards.”
 
Rowan became wary, “Why would you want to read about them?”
 
Determination setting in I stated, “Because I'm running blind here Rowan. My brother and I are in the middle of something involving at the very least, werewolves and vampires. Who knows what else could be lurking in the corner waiting to pounce? I was content to be blissfully ignorant when Snibs were nothing more than a footnote in a history text but now that I'm living with them, I want to know all I can.”
 
He must have decided that was a good answer because he told me to follow him as he led me down the steps to the second floor library.
 
I pursued him with a delightful giddiness, reading books was my favorite thing to do and I always liked science fiction, mostly because it took our reality and made it into something more. Well, now I was in my own science fiction book, my reality has been warped beyond my wildest imagination. So I figured, if I was reading a book about my life for the past week, I'd be screaming at the main character to get off her butt and get a clue.
 
And that was just what I was going to do, arm myself with information the only way I knew how, and hope that if anything bad happens, Rowan won't be too far away to kill it.