Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Monkey Wrench ❯ The Best Laid Plans of Mice & Men ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I stared into those darkening violet depths and cringed. They belonged to the last person I ever wanted to see.
 
“Rowan!”
 
“Surprised to see me?” he asked coldly, as he wound a slowly tightening hand around my left wrist.
 
“How did you--”
 
Rowan backed away from me slightly, but his grip didn't slacken a bit, “Your friend Joe ratted you out. Seems he developed cold feet when he realized what I'd do to him if he'd let you go through with this ridiculous scheme.”
 
My mouth dropped open.
 
“What? You couldn't possibly think he'd go through with it? No Warlock in his right mind would--”
 
“Shut up! Just shut up,” I shrieked, “It always comes down to being a Snib, doesn't it? That's all you guys care about, where in the bloody hierarchy you are and who's going to kill you if you step out of bounds. I know you're not like humans but Joe was always… different.”
 
Rowan blew out a derogatory snort through his nose, “Joe's a reluctant Warlock, not a fool, Theryn. Don't blame him for this; he tried to make you see reason--”
 
“Reason! You have no idea what it will be like!” I screamed at him, “I can't stay here with this child.”
 
Rowan leaned forward again. I was already backed up against the window but he continued until his nose practically met mine in the dark.
 
“You can and you will.”
 
“No,” I shook my head panicking, wondering just how much Joe had told him about the baby, “You can't make me, Rowan. I'm human; I'll get the courts involved--”
 
His answering smirk was frighteningly predatory, “I am the new Uig Alpha. You know what that means to your little human courts, Theryn?”
 
Not meeting Rowan's eyes, I meekly parroted what I'd learned from constitutional law class, “They have no jurisdiction.”
 
He nodded in agreement and opened the driver's side door with a practiced twist, pulling me forward on the bench seat until I toppled out of the truck next to him. He leaned down, swallowing up all the light from the moon above. His menacing face crowded my entire vision, all luminescent hair and cruel gnashing teeth.
 
Rowan's other hand reached for my chin and tilted it up to meet his eyes. I sensed a definite change in him, he exuded a primitive power, every move rippled with strength and the unmitigated will to use it. He had always been intimidating, but never to me. He never before tried to smother me with this sensation of barely held control and it was more than a little scary. I would by no means have even thought to lock this Rowan out of my car.
 
I unconsciously flexed the fingers of my left hand, his grip lessened only slightly, “Something's happened to you,” I murmured, thinking of the alpha fights, “What have you become?”
 
He moved his head to the left and spoke softly into my ear, his warm breath sending pleasant shivers down my spine, “I'm the Alpha, Theryn. To the Pack, I've become god.”
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Wow. Guess I should have worn something nicer to this Were-ish Inquisition because I was feeling a wee bit underdressed to be in the almighty presence of the Uig “god.” I don't remember Gage proclaiming himself to be the local deity…must be a perk only available to assholes.
 
It was all I could do not to roll my eyes in contempt. Here I sat on a perfectly round, orange tasseled velvet ottoman in Dom's office with an entire cavalry of werewolves encircling my position. I was waiting for them to all link hands and starting skipping around the chair, a la “ring around the rosy…” That brought out an unwelcome chuckle.
 
“I'm glad you find this so funny, Theryn.” Dom scolded me, his voice emanating from the front of the room.
 
I had to look around a particularly large Were to actually see the object of my contention and lo and behold he was standing there with a lazy arm around an all too compliant Lisa. My eyes widened in surprise.
 
“No Dom, what I find funny is you and my best friend wrapped around each other tighter than a tangle of Christmas lights.”
 
Now it was Lisa's turn to be surprised. She walked up to my stupid day-glow pouf with a purpose usually reserved for men who stood her up. I rose to meet her and the Were-circle parted to let her through after some imperceptible signal from Rowan.
 
“If you weren't pregnant I'd slap you,” Lisa hissed at me through clenched teeth.
 
To say I was stunned would be an understatement.
 
“Do you have any idea what we went through to get you back from Nikolai? Do you have a clue what Rowan, and Dom, and Gage went through to make sure you came back alive!?”
 
My only response was to stand there mute, my mouth opening and closing like a landed fish.
 
“And how do you repay Gage's sacrifice…you try to freakin' run away! That's your answer to everything. Do you know how selfish you're being? My God, Theryn, did you even consider the health of the baby?”
 
Lisa was wagging her finger at me and punctuated her statement with a final jab at my chest. It seemed to wake me up from my shock induced stupor.
 
“I can't stay here Lisa, you know that. Or at least you used to until you started pawing all over furball over there.”
 
“As if your one to talk!”
 
Me? I couldn't stop my childish eye roll, “Oh please, I wouldn't be caught dead making goo goo eyes at a werewolf.”
 
“You did a hell of a lot more than that with Rowan. I'm not the one pregnant with the Alpha's baby!”
 
As soon as Lisa said it, I could tell she hadn't meant to. Apparently Joe had told her, knowing I'd be okay with keeping her in my deepest confidence. I knew she hadn't done it on purpose and I could tell by the devastated look in her eyes that she was truly sorry, but it didn't stop me from cringing as my fate was sealed. We had a half a second of quiet understanding pass between us before the room erupted in mass confusion.
 
“What in the seven hells?”
“Is she serious…?”
“What?”
“You've got to be kidding me!”
“Rowan, is this true?”
“Oh shit…”
 
I definitely shared my sentiments with the last guy and stared straight into the Alpha's eyes as he ordered the entire room cleared out…save me. Less than thirty seconds later we stood eight feet apart and those eight feet were way too close for comfort.
 
Rowan stayed where he was, his eyes cast downward, his backside half propped on the giant mahogany desk, and white knuckled hands gripped the creaking edge.
 
He whispered, “Is it true?”
 
Who was I kidding? There's no way I could avoid it now, might as well `fess up to the truth. Rather than attempting some red herring ploy on whether or not we should believe Meghan's divulgence, I decided to just keep it short and sweet. I was sick of playing hide and seek.
 
“Yes.”
 
Bringing his eyes up to mine, Rowan slowly walked toward me, a predator closing in on his prey. This was the second time I'd been treated like this in one night and the whole experience was wearing thin.
 
“That changes things.”
 
I swallowed loudly in response. Of course it changes things, why do you think I'd tried to get away? I had to at least plead my case...
 
“Darastus wants the baby. If I stay here, we're playing right into his hands.”
 
Rowan's face twisted in anger, “You don't think I can keep you and our child safe?”
 
I winced at the term, “our child,” it made it so real and inescapable. Well, since we were being all truthful tonight…
 
“No, I obviously don't think you can, otherwise I would never have tried to leave.”
 
“Does this foolishness stem from your kidnapping? I promise you, if it weren't for Gaea I would have saved you immediately--”
 
“What if `Gaea' happens again, Rowan! What if you're stuck in some alternate dimension when Darastus decides it be a great time to visit his old pal Theryn and her darling child too! With you gone, this Pack won't protect me from him and you know it. I need to go somewhere Darastus won't suspect.”
 
Rowan looked at me dumbfounded, “The vampire will have to go through all the Uig's before he got to our child, Theryn. We look after our own.”
 
“Even if `your own' is some half-Were freak?” I threw back at him harshly.
 
“Is that was this about? You think we'd treat the baby differently because it's part human?”
 
“Um yeah! When I first came to stay here, I spoke with Gage about it. He told me most of the Pack views humans as inferior beings--never interacting with them, believing in the propaganda that's allowed to perpetuate in this closed society. How do you think I'd expect them to react to a hybrid child?”
 
“The same way they'll react to the news that you're the alpha's human mate. They'll embrace the child because it's ours. Did you seriously think it should be raised outside of the Pack? Where would it learn to hunt, how to deal with the change, or learn about lupinara society?”
 
He had me there, I sputtered out a response, “I didn't think about that. Who knows what it will be able to do, if it will even be able to change? Has anyone even had a hybrid child before? And what do you mean `human mate?”
 
I think the enormity of the situation finally hit Rowan. We'd been moving gradually closer to each other and as soon as he touched me I started weeping, a slow welling of tears without the accompanying sobs and wails that came with fatigue.
 
“We'll work it out Theryn. I promise. Let's get you to bed.”
 
For all my blustering, simple as that I followed Rowan up the stairs to go to bed. I didn't even protest when we reached his room and he quietly shut the door behind us.
 
Sunday October 23, 2005
 
Uig's Hunt Farm
 
Rowan rolled over with a self satisfied snore. His hand found the object of its unconscious attentions and began making little counter-clockwise circles over its convex shape. He smiled in his sleep as said dome began twitching at his slightly more forceful overtures.
 
He was jerked awake by a quick, resounding smack on his hand.
 
“Stop playing with my butt.”
 
Rowan snorted at his mate's scolding. Theryn didn't like him touching that area at all, but it was his favorite.
 
They had been mated on Wednesday. The Pack had accepted the arrangement surprisingly well considering the circumstances. They'd be even more accommodating after it was confirmed that Theryn's child was his, of which he had no doubt. They'd find out soon enough, the Uig alpha female was due any day now.
 
 
Monday October 24, 2006
 
Uig's Hunt Farm
 
Gage's Old Office
 
Rowan shuffled more papers into the filing cabinet, trying to get the drawer closed was no easy feat, even for him. This was the part of being alpha that he hated, the never-ending paperwork, dealing with investors, setting up appointments for appearances at one Pack function or another…it was endless.
 
He was happily surprised to see the Hell dimension's portal mark flare above his door and harsh knock follow soon thereafter.
 
“Come in Mastema.”
 
In walked the demon, grasping his invitational magnolia branch in one hand and what appeared to be a small brimstone flute case the other. He seemed to be in good spirits, for a warrior of Hell.
 
Mastema walked up to him and lowered his head in a sign of respect. Rowan started fidgeting and felt like he was fifteen all over again, this unearthly being had taught him everything about surviving in his world and a few others too, and it was uncomfortable to receive such an honor from the demon.
 
“Congratulations on taking over as the Uig Alpha. It is, and always has been, your rightful place.”
 
Rowan smirked in his friend's direction, “I wasn't ready before. Things change.”
 
It was Mastema's turn to smirk, “Yes I imagine they have. I want you to take a look inside this case and tell me what you see.”
 
Rowan gingerly accepted the blackened case from Mastema's outstretched hand and quirked a quizzical eyebrow. Carefully sliding the securing pins out of place, the top of the case popped open and he took a glance down the narrowed tube. Almost as if under a spell, he reached his hand in and pulled out a long, silver-white feather…inside the case was full of them.
 
“Angel feathers?”
 
Mastema's closed mouth smile was pure hatred, “And there's more where that came from.”
 
“Why are you showing this to me?”
 
“I thought you'd appreciate knowing what's become of your old friend Seraphiel.”
 
Rowan's eyes narrowed, “You plucked him?”
 
The black lizard skin split to reveal sharpened white teeth, “Among other things, yes.”
 
“You plucked the leader of Strata!”
 
“He wasn't talking with the lava brandings and he wasn't coherent enough during the flaying--”
 
“All right, all right I get the picture. I assume he spilled his guts.”
 
“In more ways the one, but to answer your question, yes; he made a deal with Darastus to keep you in Gaea while Theryn was kidnapped. He's hording some potent raw earth magic somewhere in Strata.”
 
Rowan shook his head, “I still don't understand what the kidnapping accomplished, what would Darastus want with her, it doesn't make any--”
 
“She's a druid Rowan,” Mastema stated soberly.
 
Rowan was doubtful, “What? Everybody knows the druid bloodline has been so diluted over the centuries, she doesn't even look like the fey--”
 
Mastema was getting angry, “Talk to Nikolai. Ask why he targeted the Thompson family exclusively, why he bothered to bite the younger brother first, kidnap and impregnate the older daughter next, don't you see the motive Rowan?”
 
Rowan decided to clear one thing up first, “The child's mine.”
 
The demon drew back from his earlier fury, “I see. You're mated then I presume?”
 
At Rowan's nod, Mastema continued, “Seraphiel and Nikolai were both deceived by Darustus then. Tell me one thing, are the two of them linked, Nikolai and Theryn?”
 
Rowan shook his head, “What do you mean linked?”
 
“Have they shown a legitimate heart link? Has one suffered when the other has been injured, that sort of thing?”
 
Thinking back to when Theryn was shot by the errant pixie and Nikolai's subsequent collapse mid-fight, Rowan whispered a worried, “Yes.”
 
Mastema crossed his arms in consternation, “Then you've witnessed the truth of her blood, Rowan. No one but a true druid can be heart-linked to a lupinara. It takes a lot of magic and a lot of searching but it's the only way it can be done. The double fanged curse of insanity has been avoiding extinction because of this barbaric method for eons. Only good thing to come of it is Nikolai has a vested interest in keeping your mate alive.”
 
Rowan's power was surfacing, the hair on his arms stood up straight, his breathing grew deeper; he was not in any mood to discuss this.
 
“Thank you for your time Mastema. I appreciate what you've done for the Pack and of course, what you've done for me with Seraphiel…”
 
“It was a pleasure to divest that conniving angel of his wings. They'll grow back eventually but for now he's plucked cleaner than a spring chicken,” the demon replied almost gleeful.
 
Rowan could hardly believe he sometimes forgot the rivalry between Hell and Strata, the inherent enmity that rose among its denizens. Demons and angels were much like nationalistic humans at war. The opportunity to “interview” the leader of Strata in Hell was a remarkable and dangerous coup for Mastema and he'd done it for Rowan. The thin veneer of civility amongst the dimensions slipped off quite freely whenever he considered the abiding hate between the two races.
 
As Mastema turned to leave, Rowan went to hand him the case of feathers. Such a trophy was a rare prize for any demon.
 
Mastema smiled broadly at him, a truly happy smile that Rowan had not seem on him in recent memory.
 
“Give them to the younger Campbell as a present from me. What child wouldn't enjoy playing with angels wings?”
 
The magnolia branch flared to life and the demon stepped off into his portal just as Theryn came waddling into the room, leaving Rowan to explain the fistful of giant feathers to his inquiring mate.
 
 
Tuesday October 25, 2006
 
3:00 p.m..
 
Uig's Hunt Farm
 
The ER
 
I was happily surprised to find out werewolves had their children under the same sterile, high tech hospital conditions as modern humans. I was not so happy to find out that it was customary for as many Pack members as possible to witness the birth as a welcoming ceremony for the newest addition of their family. That tradition didn't last longer than the three seconds it took me to say, “Get out!”
 
I'd gotten pretty used to the Pack giving me free reign of the property (as long as I stayed on “the property.”) They acted like humble servants just as they had treated Katie before me. I immediately instituted a “no groveling” rule that mandated all Pack members must look me in the eye when speaking to me. No bowing, sniveling or crazy formal gestures would be tolerated.
 
As far as I know they just chalked it up to me being human and went along with it. So here I was in Doc's ER preparing to give birth to the big mystery. What would it look like, would it be able to change, and for a number of grudging Pack members, I suspect, the question of paternity was a fairly compelling answer as well.
 
Rowan had informed me that as soon as it was born they'd all be able to confirm the question of “who's the daddy,” for themselves. Guess that's one way to avoid a guest spot on Springer.
 
My mom, dad, Seth and Lisa were in the Uig's version of a waiting room. I suppose four humans were stretching the limits of tolerance the Pack could handle right now. Thankfully, the Thompson family had collectively agreed to keep the announcement of Baby Thompson Campbell out of the local paper. My vast and extended family believed me to have grown a conscious and gone off to join the Peace Corps. Not the best cover up in the world, but we didn't exactly have witness protection on our side either.
 
Doc and Loretta came up to me, the nurse rolling a silver surgical tray and the Doc brandishing one of those nose and mouth masks.
 
“What's that for?” I said as I pointed at the mask.
 
“We're taking every precaution we can think of to make sure this birth goes smoothly. There's no record of a human giving birth to a lupinara child ever before. Your combined genetic make up should prove to create one interesting little bugger though--”
 
This was so not what I wanted to hear moments before inducing labor.
 
“You know, maybe we should post pone this whole thing, wait until you've got all the kinks worked out…”
 
The mask descended on my upturned nose and I swear that stuff was good as chloroform. Seconds later I was lazily dreaming about sunshine, lollipops and rainbows.
 
“Shh, shh, just go to sleep Theryn. We'll take care of everything…”
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
A half- hour later
 
I was awakened by a prodding finger on my shoulder, most insistently might I add.
 
“Wake up lazy bones, you're about to give birth.”
 
Huh? All I could see was a large, cloth drape in front of me and Rowan standing on my left side looking like a deer in headlights.
 
Next thing I knew I heard Doc exclaim, “We've got him. Fit as a fiddle this one, eh Rowan.”
 
Loretta quickly scooped the crying baby in her arms and whisked him away to be cleaned. I was still laying there wondering what I was supposed to do. All I knew was, those Were drugs are awesome.
 
Fifteen minutes later I was all closed up, sitting up right in my hospital bed, staring at Rowan like a dumbstruck fool.
 
“Uh, did you see him? What did he look like? Are they ever going to bring him back?”
 
Rowan looked at me glassy eyed, “He's really mine.”
 
After that redundant announcement a loopy smiled graced his face and I decided I'd be better off talking to the giant stuffed wolf my brother bought for the baby then Rowan.
 
Loretta walked into my vision with measured steps, carrying a bundle of swaddled cotton in her arms.
 
“Here you are my dear, one healthy baby boy!”
 
Next thing I knew, I was nursing what indeed appeared to be a normal looking baby boy. No fur, wolf ears, or giant paws to speak of, thank God. After getting over that revelation I took a look at him. If Rowan hadn't been able to smell his paternity, he'd have known immediately after taking one look at this boy.
 
Bright violet eyes peeked out from beneath lowered tawny lids, he'd gotten his father's skin and eyes. The one thing he got from me was my dark hair; a great mop of it swirled atop his head. It was an interesting combination of features; he was going to be one handsome dude.
 
When I looked up, I saw Loretta had left and Rowan and I were alone in the room.
 
“What now?” I asked, completely overwhelmed.
 
“Have you thought of a name?”
 
Embarrassed, I had to admit that I was woefully unprepared in that department. I tried to weasel my way out of it nonetheless.
 
“I figured I should consult you first,” I said, trying to look appropriately considerate.
 
Rowan didn't buy it at all, “Right. Well, lupinara tradition follows that the father names the boys and the mother names the girls.”
 
“Oh, well I think it would be nice to name him Gage.”
 
He shook his no, “I know the practice is a high honor for humans Theryn, but Katie has first right to that name.”
 
I stared at him astonished, “Is she…”
 
“Yes, it will be their fourth, and last I'm afraid. None were previously name after their father, so--”
 
“I understand completely. So what's your suggestion?”
 
“How about Angus, it was my father's name.”
 
I smiled up at him, “I like it. Angus Thompson Campbell.”
 
“You're not seriously going to give him two last names?” Rowan asked in obvious distress.
 
That had not been my intention but now it was sorely tempting, “No, Thompson will be his middle name, and what's so wrong with a hyphenated last name?”
 
Rowan looked suitably baffled when Angus started to wiggle and squirm, begging for my attention and saving his father from having to come up with a justifiable answer.
 
I rolled my eyes in reluctant acceptance, “Great, Daddy's boy already.”