Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Morning Work ❯ Morning Work ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It was a hot morning at the end of July. The sun was beating down harshly on the ground before the clock struck eleven. Monday mornings were always a pain. No one ever wanted to get up on a Monday. And who wanted to get up on a Monday to go work, especially when the work included physical labor? Jasper sure as hell didn’t want to do that. He would much rather prefer to stay in his nice warm bed, next to the nice warm body that was his lover. However Troy seemed to have a much different idea in mind.

It was only when the alarm clock went off at 8:30 that morning did Jasper realize the doom he was about to face. His overly sweet and charming boyfriend always managed to con him into doing something or another that Jasper just despised. Like the day before, he had been conned into cleaning the entire house. On a Sunday! No one worked on Sunday, so why should he?

Alright, so it was an understatement to say that no one worked on Sunday because there were plenty of stores that were open for most of the day. The correct sentence was that Jasper didn’t work on a Sunday. Sunday was the day he lazed around in the house, watching the games, catching the races and things like that. With the year being two-thousand-and-twelve, it was also the year of the summer Olympic Games and he had to admit, he had a secret love for watching fit men swim back and forth in a pool as if their live depended on it.

‘If it doesn’t get down now, it never will.’ Jasper clearly remembered those words spoken to him, as his hyper twenty-something boyfriend sat on top of him, trying to wake him up and doing a damn good job at it none the less. It wasn’t so much as knowing that if they didn’t get the work down then it never would, or the roof might collapse in their nearly ancient home (though in reality it was only built back in the 1960s), it was the that kicked puppy look that Troy always gave him that made something inside Jasper click, his expression soften and give into anything the other wanted. It was an underhanded trick really and Troy knew that, one of the reasons he always did it, no matter what the situation was.

Those damned eyes…

A sigh left parted lips for what seemed like the umpteenth time. Noticeably semi-large muscles flexed and moved under tan skin coated in a fine sheet of sweat as arms moved to rake the fallen leaves up into a dust pan and throw them into the waiting garbage bag. How he got conned into doing the hard part was beyond him. Well he knew how he got conned into that, his damn fear of heights really. Jasper hated heights, so the thought of having to go up a very unsteady looking ladder, onto and even more unsteady looking roof was just a bit more than he could bear and gladly let himself get talked into doing the raking while Troy pranced around on the roof, using their leaf blower to do exactly that, blow the leaves off.

Though, it seemed more like fun and games for Troy than work. For the fifth time in what was only a five minute span, Troy wandered back to the edge of the roof, blowing the leaves over the side and inevitably covering Jasper with them. A small growl left his lips and he looked up, throwing a heated glare at the other, not that it worked. Troy’s back was once more to him and thus he couldn’t see how much Jasper really wanted to take a branch and throw it at him. Not that Jasper really would. He would never hurt Troy like that, not again at least.

“Damn it!” Jasper moved as more leaves were dumped over his head. He took a few paces back and watched as Troy seemed to just twirl about before bringing more leaves over to dump. “God damn it Troy! Will you warn me at least!” The shout seemed to fall on deaf ears, though honey brown eyes stared at him with a bit of confusion. He saw Troy’s mouth move, but couldn’t make out what he said over the roar of the blower.

“Turn it off!” Troy’s mouth moved again and still, Jasper couldn’t make out the words. “Turn it o-“ As he moved to finish the last of his sentence, the deafening roar of the blower suddenly turned off, leaving them in an all but peaceful silence. “Oh.”

Troy’s brow raised in question as the lithe body moved closer to the edge. “What did you say?”

Jasper hadn’t meant to sigh so loudly, but he was just so exasperated with this whole yard work thing. Honestly, they should just hire someone to do the work for them. “I said turn it off.”

“I know you said that.” A grin spread across Troy’s face. “I meant before. Didn’t you say something before?”

“Yeah, I said warn me next time you blow the leaves over the side.” Jasper frowned and motioned to his body. “Isn’t obvious I’m getting a little leafy?” He gave his head a shake and leaves and dirt fell from his hair. The sound of Troy’s laughter rang out and it made his insides twist with a familiar heat that hadn’t died since the first time they had gotten together. It was strange to feel this way, or so he thought. Most of his friends he knew who had been in a relationship said the spark died after a few months of being together. For them, after almost two years together, the spark still hadn’t died.

“It’s not funny.” Jasper hissed, though there was no real malice behind his voice. It was all a show.

“Yes it is, especially when I’ve been pouring the leaves on you on purpose.” The confession had Jasper cocking his head, blue eyes wide with shock. That little brat had been doing it on purpose the whole time and acting so innocent. Well, Jasper would surely show him. How, he wasn’t sure, but he would get the other back for it later, that he was sure.

“Oh I see how it is.” He answered and huffed, looking away. “Whatever, can we just please finish this so I can get back to doing nothing on a Monday?”

“Jasper, I’m sorry.” The softness and sincere-ness in Troy’s voice had him quaking. He wanted to climb that ladder, take the other into his arms and kiss him all over. Wanted to tell him it was perfectly fine that he dumped leaves on him and whisper other sweet nothings into his ear. But for the life of him, because of the damn ladder, he couldn’t do it. Then again, giving Troy the old silent treatment for a while might be good pay back as well.

So instead of acknowledging the other’s apology, Jasper set back to raking up the fallen leaves. There was a short span of about 30 seconds of silence and he knew Troy had been waiting for his acceptance of the apology and when it didn’t come, Troy was thinking of what to say next. Though nothing ever did come out of the other’s mouth. The blower was simply turned back on and they worked the rest of the time in silence.

~*~*~*~*

Turing off the water, Jasper stepped out and onto the bathmat while grabbing his towel. After a nice long, hot bath and a good scrub to his head, he felt all nice and clean again. He wasn’t one who overly obsessed about being clean, but he certainly didn’t like the feeling of being dirty for a long period of time.

Wrapping a towel around his waist, he moved to the closet and grabbed another to start drying his hair. He hadn’t heard much from Troy after coming in. It was a shock when the little bundle of energy didn’t come rushing into have a shower with him. It struck him as strange; then again he was giving the other the silent treatment, so perhaps Troy simply thought he wanted space.

That was alright, now that he was clean and the work was done, he planned on telling Troy that he accepted his apology and they could get on with their day. He stopped in his tracks almost instantly as he walked into their bedroom. He watched as Troy lay on his stomach, shoulders shaking, soft sobs escaping his mouth, muffled slightly by the pillow he was clutching.

Jasper felt his chest tighten, his heart clench and his stomach twist in a tight knot. He hated seeing Troy cry and he hated it more because he knew he was the reason the other was crying. Hanging his head, he slowly crossed the room and moved to the bed. Taking a seat, he reached out and gently rubbed the other’s back. He felt the other jerk under his touch and that only made the knot tighten more.

“Troy.” Brown eyes rose to look at him, red-rimmed from crying. Tears stained his cheeks and soaked into the dark pillow case. “Troy, baby, what’s wrong?” He barely got the question out before the other latched onto him, arms gripping his back tightly. Shocked, Jasper slid his hands around Troy’s waist and held him, rubbing his back.

“I’m so sorry!” Troy sobbed. “I didn’t mean to upset you. I won’t do it again, I promise. Please don’t be mad at me.”

Jasper winced. So maybe giving Troy the silent treatment hadn’t been a good idea after all. Troy had always been a ‘delicate’ person, very easily upset. Jasper knew this and knew ways to get around getting the other upset and making him cry. He should have known better, should have saw the sign that when Troy was silent on the roof, it meant he had been deeply hurt, and was kicking himself for what he did.

“Don’t be.” Jasper said simply. “It’s not your fault. I was an ass. I’m sorry.” The apology rolled out of him easier than he ever thought it would have. But for Troy, Jasper was always willing to do anything, even swallow his pride and admit he had been in the wrong.

Troy pulled away from him, and Jasper got a good look at him. He was so beautiful, even more so with his honey eyes, glittering in the room light from the tears. “But I-“

Jasper shook his head and placed a finger on Troy’s lips. “No buts. I know you were just having fun. I shouldn’t have gotten so upset. You know I hate doing yard work.” A heavy sigh escaped him. “But that’s no excuse for me acting like I did, for making you cry. I’m kicking myself because of it.”

“Jasper.”

Jasper smiled. “You know I love you babe. You’re my world and no matter how much I protest, I will always doing things for you, no matter how laborious they are.”

Troy’s face lit up like a Christmas tree. It never ceased to amaze Jasper at how happy he could make Troy by simply admitting that he loved the other. That was an even more underhanded trick that Jasper used to make Troy smile. But the best thing was, no matter how underhanded it was, it was the truth and nothing would ever change that.

“I love you too!” Jasper stared at Troy as the other beamed happily and hugged him tighter. “And since you mentioned it, I’ve been meaning to ask you to clean out the chimney Shute.” Jasper let out a deep groan and rested his head on Troy’s shoulder and shook his head.

“You’re very lucky I love you.” Jasper whispered as he pulled back and stared at Troy.

“I know.”

Jasper rolled his eyes and sighed. He leaned in and pressed his lips to Troy’s in a deep, gentle kiss, holding him close. As long as he had Troy, everything was perfect, no matter what he got conned into.