Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Muma Oni - The Succubus Demon ❯ The Invisible Hands ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The wind was soft as snow fell to the ground. Sato’s hair smacked against his forehead in the breeze. He was wrapped tightly in a snow outfit he always kept for when it ever did actually snow. Otomo stood several feet in front of him, facing his way. His cloak whipped around him. He seemed calm in the cold weather while Sato was pressing his mitts against his ears to keep them warm.

Grandpa, Pinaka, and Ina were beneath the canopy at the shrine, sitting in front of a portable heater. Ina looked over to Grandpa and asked, “Will Sato be all right? How strong is this guy?”

“Kazuhiko Otomo is a fierce fighter,” Grandpa said. “In our youth he was always better than me. Not once had I ever beaten him.”

“What’s that say about Sato?” Pinaka asked.

“Sato is very skillful,” said Grandpa, “but his skills are no match for my friend.”

Sato and Otomo circled each other. Otomo asked, “Are you really ready for this? You can back down if you want.”

“Sorry,” Sato replied, “but I never back down from a challenge.”

“Then let us begin.”

Sato charged at Otomo. Otomo made a quick gesture and suddenly Sato felt a hard strike across his cheek, sending him rolling backwards across the snow. He lifted his head, feeling the blood drip from his cheek. He saw a brief instant of Otomo’s hand hiding back beneath his cloak.

“What was that?” Sato said inaudibly to himself.

“Kazuhiko was known as the Invisible Hands in our youth,” Grandpa told Pinaka and Ina. “He can strike from afar without showing even the slightest bit of his hands.”

“That’s insane,” Ina said. “Do you think Sato will find a way to beat him?”

“I’m not sure,” said Grandpa.

Sato got to his feet and wiped the blood from his cheek. “That’s a nice little trick,” Sato said, “but I saw that.”

“You did, huh?” Otomo said, smiling. “You’d be the first. Allow me to demonstrate again.”

Otomo lashed out at Sato. Sato quickly guarded, mostly protecting his face, as he felt his body being struck. Slits formed instantly on his sleeves, the attacks cutting his skin beneath. He tripped over his feet as he backed away and found himself on the ground again, hitting his head hard on the swept concrete walkway.

“You claim you can see it,” Otomo said, “yet you’re unable to avoid it.”

Sato slowly stood again. “Oh, I can do more than avoid it,” Sato said, smirking. “I just wanted to make sure I was right.” He turned around to the shrine. “Grandpa!” he called.

His grandpa was already thinking ahead. He tossed a pole to Sato. Sato caught it up and twirled it in his hands, turning back to Otomo.

“Let the games begin,” Sato said.

Sato charged fast at Otomo. Sato saw Otomo move his hands from beneath his cloak. Quickly he placed his pole against the ground and vaulted into the air. Gashes were cut into the pole from Otomo’s attacks, but Sato remained unharmed this time. He came down fast with his pole, it raised high above his head.

Otomo moved to the side, swiftly dodging the attack. Sato continued to attack at Otomo, swinging high, low, and to either side, but Otomo’s swift movement kept the attacks from connecting.

“Take this!” Sato cried, sweeping at Otomo’s feet.

Otomo jumped and landed on the end of Sato’s pole, smiling. “You’re very tentative,” he said, “but you’re far from defeating me.”

Otomo flipped backwards and kicked Sato hard in the face, taking him off his feet once again. Otomo laughed as he watched Sato rise to his hands and knees.

“How about that,” Otomo said. “You still have the heart to get up even though you know you’re going to lose. Bravo to you, young Sato.”

“I’m far from done,” Sato said, coming to his feet completely and turning to Otomo. Blood dripped down his jaw from his mouth. “Come on, bring it!”

“As you wish,” said Otomo.

Sato focused in on Otomo’s cloak. He watched it opened and his hands release for an attack. Sato raised his staff and with a loud snap blocked Otomo’s attack. Otomo was surprised by this turn of events. His hand was extended, a whip cast out and wrapped around Sato’s pole.

“Didn’t see this coming, did you?” Sato said cockily. “Now check this out!”

Using all his might, Sato pulled on the whip, lifting Otomo from his feet and bringing him fast toward Sato. Sato raised his fist and struck Otomo hard across the face, sending him backwards. Otomo released the whip and slid across the ground where he remained.

“How was that?” Sato asked, standing his staff in the snow and rolling up the whip.

Otomo sat up. “Impressive,” he said. “You have more potential than your grandfather did at your age. Very well done, young Sato.”

***

“Must you leave already?” Grandpa asked Otomo as they talked in front of the house. Sato and the others were inside warming up. Otomo shuffled his feet in the snow.

“Yes, old friend, I must,” he said. “I only wanted to make sure Sato was prepared for the future.”

“What do you mean?” Grandpa asked.

“He’s hanging around that demon, isn’t he? Trouble is sure to come. Keep him on his toes.”

“I will. Thank you for your visit.” Grandpa shook hands with Otomo. Otomo hesitated a moment, then finally turned and left the property.