Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Muma Oni - The Succubus Demon ❯ The Calm ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sato and Ina watched the horizon from the window in Sato’s room. Ina had her head on Sato’s chest, Sato wrapping an arm over her shoulders. Both were worried about what would become of Grandpa and Muma. Were they okay? Was Muma able to beat Kaiban? How could they know?

Sato spotted a car coming down the road toward the house. “I wonder who that could be,” he said. Ina saw it too and was already on her feet to greet the person. She helped Sato to his feet and they traveled downstairs together.

The car pulled up next to the rental car that Sato and his group used to come from Tokyo. Sato and Ina stepped off the porch together and waited for the driver to step out. Jibushi and Kanate had come out as well. Otta remained in his room unconscious.

The door opened and Kisuro stepped out of the car. He smiled at Sato and said, “Hey, pal! How’s it hanging?”

Sato and Ina were surprised at his appearance. Kisuro closed the door, draping the backpack he had over his shoulder. He stepped up to Sato and Ina, smiling cheerfully at them.

“Uh, Nabura, wasn’t it?” Sato said. “What’re you doing here?”

“Come on,” said Kisuro, shrugging, “we’re buddies, ain’t we? Feel free to call me Kisuro. And I’m here because of your housemaid Pinaka. She needed a ride, and with me being the kindhearted fellow I am, I couldn’t resist.”

“Strange choice of words,” Ina said, her brow twitching. Ignoring it, she asked, “So where’s Pina? Why did she want to come here?”

“Something about a demon,” Kisuro said. “We went into Kyoto and found it a mess, so she went on to find the two demons there and sent me to find you guys. Once I got to Hikone, getting directions to the shrine was simple.”

“Do you know anything about the battle?” Sato asked frantically, moving forward from Ina. He felt a sharp pain in his side and clutched to Ina tighter.

“Sorry,” Kisuro said, “but all I know is that Pinaka went to join in on whatever it was. Any other details are a mystery to me.”

Sato sighed. “I see. I wonder if Muma’s alive.”

“Of course she is,” Ina said positively. “Don’t think of her as being dead. Believe she’s alive and she will be.”

Kisuro frowned. “What fantasy world do you live in?”

Ina scowled at him. “Well sorry for trying to be optimistic!”

“Sheesh, okay,” Kisuro said, bowing and scratching his head. “Sorry to upset you.”

Kanate stepped forward. “Please,” she said, “let’s all go in for tea to calm our nerves. Getting worked up out here won’t help a thing.”

Kisuro looked up at Kanate, actually taking in her looks for the first time. He smiled brightly and said, “That sounds like a splendid idea!”

***

“Sati, help me!” cried Muma’s voice.

Sato found himself standing in a world of darkness. An image appeared before him of Muma fighting Kaiban. She took a hard hit, crying loudly in pain as she crashed to the ground.

“Sato, you okay?”

Sato shook his head. He was sitting with everyone else in the sitting room, drinking tea. Everyone stared at him with questioning looks. Sato set his tea down and stood.

“Sato?” said Ina, worry in her voice.

“I’m gonna take a bath,” Sato said. “I need to clear my mind.”

Sato went into the foyer, closing the door to the sitting room behind him. He leaned against the wall, feeling a drop of sweat race down his cheek. His breathing was abnormally heavy as his heart beat hard in his chest.

“What was that vision just now?” he asked himself. “Was it a premonition? Or a sight of something that’s already happened?”

He shrugged and limped the stairs. The door to the sitting room opened and closed. Sato turned to see Ina there. She looked up at him worriedly.

“You haven’t been right since Muma left,” Ina said. “Is something wrong?”

“I’m concerned about Muma … and Grandpa, of course. Just now I guess I had some kinda daydream about Muma losing against Kaiban.”

“I’m sure Muma’s just fine,” said Ina. “There’s nothing you can really do about it though. It’s not like any of us are capable of fighting Kaiban ourselves.”

Sato nodded. “I suppose.”

There was a rap on the front door. Ina walked over to answer it. She gasped audibly as she opened the door. Pinaka entered the house, carrying Muma and Ryomaru draped over either shoulder. Jira entered after her, dragging Hasu in her teeth.

“Pina, what happened?” Sato asked quickly.

“I arrived just in time to stop some demon from killing these three,” Pinaka answered. “As soon as I arrived the demon took off.”

Sato said quickly, “Did you see my grandpa?”

Pinaka shook her head. She straightened and said, “Show me where I can put them to rest. They’ll need plenty of it.”

Ina picked Hasu into her arms and had Pinaka follow her upstairs. Sato sat on the steps, the image of Muma burned in his mind; she was torn to shreds, blood covering her lifeless body. It was the same in his vision.

“Muma, settle down!” Sato heard from upstairs.

Sato rushed up the stairs as fast as he could and limped to the girls’ room. Inside he found Ina and Pinaka wrestling Muma to her bed. Muma’s eyes were burning with rage. She launched Pinaka across the room, slamming her into the wall. She shrugged Ina off her and pinned her to the ground.

“I have to find Kaiban!” Muma cried. She looked up at the door and saw Sato standing there. Her eyes went soft and she released Ina.

“What’s going on?” Sato asked.

“Muma just flipped suddenly,” Ina said, rubbing her wrists where Muma gripped her.

Muma sat on the bed and relaxed her wings that had been trying to rip from the baggy cloak. Sato slowly moved into the room. Pinaka was fine, only catching her breath.

Muma bit her lip as Sato sat in front of her. “How are you?” he asked.

“I failed,” Muma said. “I couldn’t stop Kaiban. Now he’s on his way to Edo––er, Tokyo I mean. He’s going to try and take control of the government, form a military system, and turn the world into his kingdom, just like he tried millennia ago.”

“I see,” Sato said. “He has Grandpa?” Muma nodded in reply. “Then we’ll head to Tokyo and stop him.”

“That demon’s strong,” Pinaka said. “The presence of his energy alone made me want to break down and cry.”

Sato ignored her. He took Muma’s hands in his. Muma blushed. “Next time,” he said, “we’ll fight him together. It’ll be all of us; you, Pinaka, Ryomaru, and me. We’ll make Kaiban regret he was ever revived.”

“No,” said Muma as she forced Sato away from her. “I don’t think I can fight him again. His power is too tremendous. Even if we get every military force against him, there’s no way we can win. I know that now after facing him myself. All I could do is draw blood from his mouth, but I bet he allowed that to make me feel like I accomplished something.”

“We’ll fight him again,” Sato said firmly. “As soon as you and Ryomaru recover we’ll head back to Tokyo and stop him.” He put a hand to Muma’s shoulder to make her lay down. “Rest for now,” he said. “We’ll go in two days to Tokyo and put a stop to all of this.”

Sato stood beside Pinaka and Ina at the door. He held onto Ina’s shoulder for support. He took a last glance at Muma and left with the other girls from the room.

***

Sato woke to a knock at the door. He looked over and saw Ryomaru. He was still unconscious from his fight with Kaiban. There was another knock on the door and this time it opened. Muma walked into the room, looking to the floor as she closed the door and leaned against it.

“Muma, it’s late,” Sato said. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m having trouble sleeping,” said Muma. “Do you mind if I stay in here?”

“Not at all.”

Muma stepped forward. She stopped suddenly as she felt the cloak tighten around her chest and stopped her from moving. She looked back and saw her cloak caught in the door. “Oh, dang it!” she said, pulling on the cloak. The hem released from the door and she stumbled backwards, tripping over the cloak.

Sato threw his covers off and caught Muma, both hitting the floor. “Ow,” said Sato as he held Muma who was on top of him. He realized fast his hand was groping her chest and quickly removed it. They sat aside from each other, exchanging nervous looks.

Finally Sato broke the silence. “So, what’s on your mind?”

Muma lowered her eyes to the floor. “It’s what Kaiban said to me when I fought him.”

“What?”

Muma wrung the cloak in her hands. “He called me a traitor.”

Sato raised an eyebrow. “Not sure I follow what you mean.”

“He said zokuto. The word got its meaning from … from my father. Zokuto was his name. He fought against demons to protect the human race.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad,” Sato said. “Why does that name upset you? You’re only doing like he did.”

Muma slammed her hands against the floor and said angrily, “I’m nothing like him! I never will be!”

Sato glanced at Ryomaru to make sure he was still asleep. He turned back to Muma and asked, “He did something bad, didn’t he? He did something you can never forgive him for?”

“Yes,” Muma said, a tear dripping from her cheek. “He did the worst, Sati. It’s because of him my mom died. It was because of him I’m so alone in life.”

Sato reached for one of Muma’s hands. She was surprised by the gesture. “Muma,” he said with a smile, “we’ve known each other for a long time. You know that my heart belongs with Ina, but you’ve grown on me a lot. You and Pinaka are like my family.”

A small smile appeared on Muma’s face. She wiped her eyes. “Thanks, Sati,” she said, “that really means a lot.”

“I’m glad. Now, tell me what happened back then.”

Muma nodded. “Okay. It was back when I was still just a child and my powers hadn’t manifested yet. My father left my mom and me to help the humans. My mom and I, as we had our human forms, were forced to take refuge in a human village.”