Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ My Ghost ❯ Chapter Seventeen ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
My Ghost
-
Chapter Seventeen
-
© 2009 Ohne Sie



To Callie's amazement, the movie theater was about twice the size of the one in the town she had lived previously. Her old theater had about six screens, which she had thought a perfectly reasonable amount, but this one had twelve. Even the seats seem more comfortable, she thought to herself as she settled in with her Coke and a bag of popcorn Aaron had insisted on buying for her. It hadn't taken long for the pair to decide on a movie. As soon as they saw this title, Callie had been extremely excited.

The movie was called The Mall Is Closed. It was a cheesy slasher film; the kind Callie loved. Aaron had agreed instantly, although whether this was because he genuinely wanted to see the movie, or because he saw how excited Callie was about it, she wasn't sure. The idea made her very nervous.

The movie did not disappoint. It had all the right amounts of cheese and horror, which was exactly what Callie had anticipated. To her relief, Aaron did nothing throughout the movie that would give any indication that he thought of their outing as a date. That suited Callie perfectly, because she wasn't sure that she wanted to consider it a date, either. As they walked out of the theater, Callie realized how dark it was getting. She also realized, with a grimace, that it was getting colder, and Aaron's car was parked at the other end of the shopping center. She shivered, despite herself.

Wordlessly, Aaron draped his jacket over her shoulders. Callie looked away, blushing. Her fears of this being a date had returned. They walked in silence for a moment, until Aaron finally spoke. "The movie was good, right? You seemed to enjoy it."

"Yeah," she said, forcing herself to look at him. "It's my favorite type of movie. Thanks for bringing me."

He grinned. "No problem. I thought you might want to get away and do something fun. You always seem so sad, trying to solve my great-great-uncle's murder and not making as much progress as you want." He quickly added, noting the surprised expression on her face, "Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to do that. I just...I don't like seeing you upset."

"I thought you didn't believe me," Callie said. "Don't you think I'm crazy?"

Aaron winced. "I don't really know what to believe. 'Crazy' is a really harsh word. I believe that you believe you see him. My sister believes you. But...I don't know, I've always been skeptical of those things. It's difficult to understand where you're coming from."

Callie shrugged. "I've just always known there were ghosts and spirits around, even though I'd never met one until I moved here." She sighed. "I really do see him, Aaron, and I talk to him. He needs me. I don't need you to believe me, or to understand it, but I'm glad you try, at least. It means a lot." She smiled.

He smiled back. "Of course I try. I really like you, Callie." There was so much meaning behind his eyes. Callie had to look away.

Her cheeks burned. Why do I keep blushing around him? she asked herself angrily. Several feelings were swirling around her brain, conflicting with each other. Anger, guilt, happiness...and what was that other one? Callie fished around for a word to describe it. "Twitterpated," she said, without thinking.

"Huh?" Aaron asked.

Callie realized she'd spoken aloud. "Oh, uh...sorry, I was thinking out loud." She frowned. "Twitterpated." A confusion caused by feelings of affection. Is that it? Callie shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. "So...what are we doing now?" she asked, as they reached his car.

Aaron shrugged, opening the door for her. Callie climbed in and he shut the door after her. Then he climbed in the driver's seat. "I don't know. Do you have to be home by a certain time?"

Callie's mouth dropped open as she realized she hadn't told her parents she'd be gone. She swallowed nervously, turning on her phone. They had told her not to go anywhere, because of her fall that morning, but Callie had completely forgotten. The words she had dreaded seeing popped up on her screen: "1 new voicemail." Callie winced, listening to the message.

"Callie, where are you? Your mother and I told you not to go anywhere. Why is your phone off? Call back as soon as you get this."

Aaron looked at her quizzically. Callie smiled apologetically. "I kind of...forgot to ask my parents if I could go."

Aaron nodded, concerned. "Are you going to get in trouble?"

"Probably not," Callie said. "I might get lectured." She dialed her father's number and waited for him to answer. "Hi, Dad. No, no, it's okay. I'm sorry, I meant to ask, but I forgot...I'm sorry, really. I went to the movies with Aaron. That's why my phone was off. I know, you told me to stay home, but I was feeling fine, and I thought...No, Dad! It's fine, we're coming home now, you don't need...yeah. I love you, too. Bye." Callie groaned, hanging up and falling against the seat.

"Did he freak out?"

Callie nodded. "You'd think they'd be happy I went somewhere, for a change. They're always concerned that I don't make friends."

"Parents are strange like that," Aaron said. "If I go in with you to help try to smooth things out, would it help?"

"Maybe," Callie said, smiling. "Thanks."

"No problem," Aaron said. "After all, I invited you out. So I'm partially to blame."

"You didn't know I didn't ask permission, and you didn't drag me with you."

"I might have, if you'd said no," Aaron admitted. Callie frowned.

"I don't understand. You would have dragged me with you?"

Aaron grinned. "I had to get you away from that house, and from Will, somehow. You'd practically be a hermit if you didn't go to school."

Callie blushed. "I have to help him..."

"And sometimes the best way to solve a problem is to take a step back from it. Haven't you heard that before?"

"Doesn't mean I believe it. In my experience, the best way to solve a problem is to focus solely on it until it's solved." Callie didn't want to mention that the problem was potentially already solved, with her discovery of Edward's journal.

They pulled into Callie's driveway. Callie winced, seeing the disapproving look on her father's face. He was standing on the porch, waiting for them. "And he's usually the more lenient one," she mumbled.

"It's probably because you're with me," Aaron said as they stepped out. "Fathers always get overprotective as soon as their daughters go out with a boy."

Callie's concern for what her father would do overpowered any thoughts she might have had about what Aaron had just said, but Will, who had joined Callie's side as soon as the car pulled in, had noticed.

He frowned, feeling a mixture of jealousy and anger, mostly directed toward himself. But he said nothing as he followed Callie and Aaron to the porch.

"I'm sorry, sir. It's my fault," Aaron started, but Callie's father shook his head.

"Thank you for bringing Callie home, Aaron. You should probably go home, now, too." Callie winced, smiling apologetically at Aaron, who smiled encouragingly back at her.

"You're welcome, sir. I'll see you later, Callie," he said, walking back to his car. Father and daughter were silent until Aaron's car had left the driveway.

Callie's father sighed. "Did you have fun, at least?" he asked.

Callie nodded, looking at her feet.

"And your head is feeling better?" Again, she nodded. "Good. I assume you ate?" She nodded again. Technically, popcorn was food. "Then go to bed. I'll talk to your mother and try to calm her down. We'll discuss this further in the morning."

Callie nodded. "Yes, sir," she said quietly, running upstairs. She closed the door to her room and lay back on her bed. A moment later, she heard Will's voice outside the door.

"Can I come in?" he asked.

Callie frowned. She didn't want to answer any questions that Will might have about the outing, but at the same time, she liked having him around. "Yes," she said, finally, and he floated through the door.

"So it was a date," Will said, after a moment.

"Huh?"

"That's what he said, right? 'Fathers always get overprotective as soon as their daughters go out with a boy.'"

"I don't think that's what he meant..."

"It is."

Callie frowned. "Why does it matter, anyway? I thought you wanted me to go out with him."

"I did."

"Then why do you look so angry?"

Will frowned. "I'm not angry," he said.

"Will," Callie said, sighing, "I'm really not in the mood for this. My parents are already mad at me. I don't need to deal with you being mad at me for doing exactly what you said you wanted me to do."

"What do you want me to do, then?"

"Can you pretend to be happy and supporting?" Callie asked. The look on his face told her that he could not. She sighed. "Then I don't know."

"Do you want me to leave?" he asked. His voice was soft.

"It would probably be best," Callie said, turning away from him. "I should just go to sleep."

By the time she turned around, Will was gone. Tears flowed from Callie's eyes. What caused them, she wasn't sure, but they continued until she had finally fallen asleep.