Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 3, Chapter Twenty: Lawn Duty ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lawn Duty
*Yuki*
Today is Sunday. That only means one thing for me. Shizu-kun, Annette, and I have yard duty this afternoon. We have to clean up the school yard until five. (Fun, I know!) I just hope Shizu-kun and Annette get along today. They seem to hate each other. I don't know why. All I can do is pray.
 
*Annette*
I don't see why Shizuma hates me. I never did anything to him. I don't want Yuki. He's like a brother to me. Sleeping with him would make me sick. Sadly, Shizuma doesn't see it that way. He views me as a threat to him. How can I get Shizuma to trust me?
 
*Shizuma*
I have to clean the yard with that bitch today! She's going to try and flirt with him. I have to keep a close watch now. I don't need this!
 
1:00 p.m.:
*Yuki*
The work begins now. So far, everything's been still. I am still worried. Anything could go between those two. It was all like a car accident. Just keep a watch on them.
We got our direction from Oka-san. We are to:
 
Pick up the trash
Rake leaves
Pick up fallen branches
Clean fish pond
Clean off graffiti
Feed the rabbits
Sweep yard
Trim bushes
Wash outside statue
Pick remaining vegetables
 
We divided up the chores. Annette took the pond, statue, and rake leaves. Shizu-kun has the rabbits, bushes, and trash. I took the vegetables, branches, and yard. We all would do the wall together. I look all around me. We are all separated. I take in a deep breath of relief. Good! At least, things will be easier now. I'll just hope Shizu-kun and Annette manage to avoid each other until than.
 
1:05 p.m.:
*Annette*
The fish pond is much cleaner now. I bet the fish are happier now. I know I would be if I was one. I wish I could feed them, but I don't have anything on me. I slightly turn behind me. Shizuma is trimming the bushes. So far, we've had no problems or arguments. I wonder how long that's going to last.
 
*Shizuma*
This is ridiculous! Why are we doing this on a Sunday? That is what a janitor is for! Grrr!!! Well, better get it over with! No use complaining about it!
I kept flying back and forth cutting the bushes. From time to time, I look up at my Yuki. I smile to myself softly. He is the only good thing out here. Then, I look at Annette. “Stay away you hussy!” I thought. So far, nothing has happened. Good! I'll keep it that way!
 
1:20 p.m.:
*Yuki*
Well, the yard's done now! I have to deal with the branches. This will be easy. All I have to do is pick them up and throw them in the ditch. Simple as that. As I do so, I look around. Shizu-kun and Annette aren't in sight. This isn't good. I hope they aren't fighting. That wouldn't be pretty! I shutter and force myself back to work.
 
1:30 p.m.:
*Annette*
I am now working on raking the leaves. I don't see Yuki or Shizuma anywhere. Probably for the best. I rake the leaves into neat piles. This is hard, but yet it is an art. A sweat-producing art. Whew! I'm bushed! I hope I have enough energy to clean the statue and wall!
 
1:35 p.m.:
*Shizuma*
I watch the rabbits eat their lunch. They are making me hungry. Sweet little banks of blood. They move around so much that the colors flash before my eyes! That's it! I must have one! I reach my hand into the den to grab a tasty snack. But then, I pause. What am I doing? I'm trying to fight my hunger, not feed it. I slowly began backing away. Maybe I should get the trash now! I quickly hurry to get to work!
 
2:07 p.m.:
*Yuki*
I'm working on the vegetables now. This will take me a while to do. It always does. But, at least I can see Shizu-kun and Annette again. So far, still nothing has happened. That is good. But the real test will come when we all have to clean the wall together. I hope that we all can be decent. It doesn't seem that way however. Oh, why does this have to be so hard?
 
2:15 p.m.:
*Annette*
I walk over to the statue. I put down the cleaning supplies and look up at me client. “Hello sir,” I say to it. “You look fine today. Care for a wash?” I dip the rag in the bucket and get to work. This chore is also an art.
Pretty soon, Samurai-san looks good as new. I smile as my work. Pretty good! My three chores are done! Now for that damn wall! Oh boy! Fun, fun, fun! Ha! I wish!
 
2:27 p.m.:
*Shizuma*
I am the trash man now. I still don't see why I am doing this. I am not the janitor! So why am I doing this? Bah! Might as well! There's no one else here! Hm. Maybe that's good too! At least I won't have to kill anyone. Doesn't seem to be much trash out here today. Works for me! Finally, an upside to this crappy day! But, I still have that crappy wall to clean. Damn it!
 
3:00 p.m.:
*Yuki*
Now is the moment of truth! We all have to clean the graffiti off of the walls. This won't be no easy! But, I don't know. That energy is out some. Maybe it won't ne so bad. One can hope…
 
3:07 p.m.:
*Shizuma*
Easy so far. All I have to do is dip a brush into the bucket and scrub the wall clean. Easy task, right? Not if you have to work with the person you hate. All I can do is grin and bear.
 
*Annette*
Ah, awkward silences. So cold and empty. Well, could be worse. Shizuma and I could be screaming at each other. Poor Yuki is between us right now. I would hate to be him right now! Makes me think of that song by Stealers Wheel. I want to sing it, but I better not. Don't want to break the silence.
 
*Yuki*
No one wants to break the silence. But unfortunately, I had to sneeze. “AHCOO!” I yelled out. Both Shizu-kun and Annette look right at me. Uh-oh! Now I've done it! Here comes the trouble!
“Bliss you!” they both called out. I hung my head in shame. Now, I've really done it! Let the fighting begin.
 
*Shizuma*
I stared at Annette and she stared at me. We dared each other to speak. Yuki looked at both of us, He seemed worried. Anything could give…
“Hey!” someone yelled out to us. We all looked up. The prison warden was glaring at us coldly. “This isn't social hour!” he yelled. “Get back to work!” We all complied as he walked away. And that was the end of that one.
 
5:00 p.m.:
*Yuki*
Well, the work day is done. Not a single conflict today. That's good! I can rest easy tonight. I smile to myself as Shizuma and I walk home. But, then I freeze and become pale. What about next Sunday?
All in Day's Work