Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ One Of Those Times You Wish You'd Stayed Indoors ❯ The Rescue? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Carrie stopped and dragged me back into the auditorium. "We're going to go through that door and find him."

Her pale skin was frightening in the darkness of the empty circular room. I was beginning to get scared. "You're not serious." I shouldn't have said anything and just followed her. Her nails were almost on the verge of breaking through the skin of my bony wrists.

"JENNY, we have to do this!!!"

"We HAVE to do this." I responded even though I felt more like I should have been asking instead of saying.

The next thing I know-the both of us are lost on forbidden ground. Something holy happened so us common folk aren't supposed to be ruining the consecrated earth. Apparently Carrie wasn't as superstitious as I thought she was...as superstitious as I was...what else could she do to spoil my reputation along with her's.

"Hey, hey you!!" she screamed at some guy dressed completely in black. "It's the jungle-bitch-where's Miyavi?!"

I slapped my forehead...I shouldn't have asked.

"What are you two girls doing out here? Don't you know that the rebels have been spotted out this way?!" My eyes went wide. How bloody far did she drag us?! My eyes scanned the area and my heart began to quiver...WHERE HAD SHE DRAGGED US?!

Carrie grabbed at my lucky black sweatshirt and peeled it off of me. Lucky I was wearing my back-up shirt. See, this wasn't the first time she had done something like that to me in public. She's only my best friend not my lover or anything like that. Carrie just had an odd way of showing anger...this was one of her fits that might clue one in. Is she ever decided to rip off my long sleeved emerald top...I was done for and my mother would kill me.

"I'M ASKING YOU QUESTION, BITCH!!" she bellowed in English and through her fists out in anger. I forgot to tell you-the guy that was in front of us was also speaking in our secret language.

"Please, forgive...we want...uuhh...go home, yes?" I said to him.

"Sorry-she carzy!!! WE WANT MIYAVI!!" Carrie was on a roll with her English.

"First, I don't know who you're talking about! Second-this isn't the place for two teenagers like you! Don't you have a gymnasium or anything to go to?!"

That pissed me off. "WE NO GERMAN!! I FROM-" Carrie slapped a hand across my mouth and smiled at the man.

"Jenny he's cute."

What the bloody wastelands was going through her brain-she seemed to forget that she dragged me out to find Miyavi...or was it "Miguel?"

"Who you be?" she asked the stranger.

"Look...follow me-or just get found by the dogs."

Jenny looked me. "Dogs?"

I shrugged at her. I had no idea what a dog was.

"Dogs you know-four legs-arf arf...bark bark...AWROOO!!"

We still had no idea what a dog was...maybe, he meant "dog." It was funny though. It looked like he was howling. The man was kind of good looking. Tall and thin with light skin. He had pretty blue eyes.

He saw us laughing and howled again...well, until gunfire erupted. He dropped to his knees and grabbed our wrists so we were forced to do the same as he.

"NOW FOLLOW ME!!!" He got up with the both of us in his grip. He started curing at us about our treading on holy ground and the rebel movement surely advancing on us. We were getting scolded by someone that to be our own age.

Suddenly, after he threw us into a collection of bushes...I found myself asking-WHERE THE HELL WERE WE?!

"Relax-the rebels don't like to send dogs into these bushes. We're safe for now...until they bring hedge clippers-then, kiddies, we're done for."

I couldn't believe what I has heard...from what I understood-he seemed to have been reading my mind.

The school and it's large auditorium had to be thousands of miles away by now. I had never been so terrified in my life.

I noticed that Carrie still had my sweatshirt in her grip...so did she. She started punching at it and formed it into a ball, which she promptly threw at his face.

"I'm Edward." he unfolded the shirt and looked inside the collar at it's tag. "Which one of you is Jennsey Ellyse?"

Carrie gave me a sorrowful look. He said my full name. There was no hiding from this. I wished my family would stop writing my name on all my clothes...but, then again, they knew about Carrie's bad habit of getting mad and well...you know...

I raised my hand slowly.

He nodded in compliance and pointed at my friend. I took that as a wordless gesture meaning, "who's that?"

Carrie answered for herself. "Carrie."

"Who's Miyavi...?" came Edward's next question.

"He a singer." I told him flatly.

A rustling in the bushes caused the stranger to turn around and glance behind himself. It was then that we saw a small black handgun.

Carrie grabbed my arm and hauled me to my feet.

Edward whipped around. "What's wrong?!" He looked down at where my friend and I were staring.

A German pistol was tucked into the back of his beltline-he had to be a rebel.

My friend pulled me towards Edward so she could punch him and hopefully knock him out, so we could escape.

Her plan didn't work. Edward went to block her punch by grabbing her other wrist.

"RUN, JENNY-GO AWAY!!!" she screeched as the stranger tried to silence her.

I couldn't stay there. She wanted me to run. I stood there trying to figure out what to do next.

"FIND MIYAVI!!!" That seemed to be my answer...my calling. I ran away as best as I could-as fast as I could.

"NO! WAIT-COME BACK-THE REBELS!!!" Edward shouted at me.

I was so sweaty and dirty after a while. I had gotten my feet lodged in quick-mud. At one point a wild pig had grabbed at my pant leg and knocked me to the ground...it stole my sneaker.

I was hurting all over. My black hair was matted in grime. Mom would kill me.

I still can't recall how far I ran. I was standing at the edge of the forest line. There was a small panhandle shaped beach and some slums that were gathered to my left.

Barefoot-I traveled the beach and walked in front of the slums. I noticed a large rusting fence in front of me. On the other side was another beach with more roaring waves off in the distance. This other beach reminded me of land bridge...it looked like it connected to something.

I stood there dripping with sweat with the taste of salt water on my lips. I felt like crying...I was crying. I had abandoned Carrie and everyone that meant anything to me to follow on this crazy quest. I apparently was still close to consecrated ground...don't ask me how I knew-I could just feel it.

Something seemed to be walking across the other strip of land. There were several people-they looked like they were heading back towards my school...I guess. I just felt myself start to get excited.

There were two men in the "parade" who wore skirts made of fur. They were rather fat but tall at the same time...almost like those...what do you call them...Sumo wrestlers-only these guys had much darker skin and their hair was short and wavy.

Walking with them was a thin man with pale skin. His tight fitting jeans were tattered and he limped but he looked like nothing was bothering him. He had a big...black cowboy hat on his head and dark sunglasses. I was looking at Miyavi!!!

For some reason I felt I needed to be reassured. He was so far away there was no way he could hear my cries to him. I tried waving my arms at him and that's when I saw the most magnificent thing happen.

Two rare white hippos broke through the water and stared at me. One of them opened it's gaping jaws-it looked like it was yawning at me. The other one just blinked several times. Slowly, they both sunk beneath the water again one at a time.

I wrapped my fingers around the twisted mesh of the rusted wire fence and put my forehead against it. The tears were streaming down my face and some of the rust mites had attached themselves to my already stained face. It was a gift from the gods. White hippos-let alone any type of hippo at all-was scarce and sacred to my people.

"You see them." came an elderly voice from behind me. I felt a bony hand on my shoulder. "You go-follow them-it's your calling. Save your friend this way."

My search had not been in vain. Now, all I had to do was run around the other side of the fence and try and catch up with them.