Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ One Of Those Times You Wish You'd Stayed Indoors ❯ Gulag Life Is Far From Pretty ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The strange girl was skipping along behind me. It bothered me that she seemed kind of happy. "What is it, with you?"

She leaned in so that her face was close to my shoulder. "Don't be afraid. My name is Erica. The gulag is a prison encampment. You will be the first to leave here. Tell me where I need to go and I will be there."

Between tears-I told her about Carrie...but more so...I told her about my mother. I described every detail to her. I let Erica know about her long white hair and the olive drab scarves she wraps around her head during all sorts of weather.

It was after my explanation that I noticed Erica's green eyes and her jet-black wavy hair. She was smiling at me and thanked me.

The rest of the way was quiet...she was a totally different person after we approached the gulag's branches. She put her hand on my shoulder as we reached the female's ward. I saw seven women waiting behind a glass windowpane. All looked sad...but at the same time fascinated with me. One of them stuck their tongue out at me in an obscene gesture.

I tried to look away as Erica set her hands on my shoulders. She was a rebel-why do anything for me?

I spotted a woman in a red spaghetti strapped dress. Her features were frozen as she watched me cross her vision. She put her hands to the glass and put her forehead to it. Her skin color was much like mine...but her hair was a light brown. I wondered if she was from Italy. No matter. I could only wonder where I was going to be put...maybe I was going to be executed...

"All the women have become savage." Erica told me.

I continued to look at into the glass of the woman's gulag...so, it was nothing more than a whorehouse...what was in store for me? Walking was the only thing that kept me from fear. I looked back and noticed another woman-perhaps a twin also dressed in the same kind of dress. She had her hands to her neck and stared out at me with vacant eyes. As she lowered her hands, I noticed that she might have been wearing the same dress as the other girl but it was different somehow.

Her hands fell below her breasts and I noticed that the fabric was torn. Her tan breasts were now fully exposed...the cloth was only clinging to her unhealthy frame. I tried not to look any further...for some odd reason my eyes couldn't help but fall on her nipples. I could clearly see the bumps surrounding the outside. The center of her breasts was raised and hard-I couldn't look anymore. I just prayed that I wouldn't end up with clothes like that or even lack of clothes.

The men's gulag was pretty much the same. All of them were the same skin color as myself...with jet-black hair like me. I was becoming increasingly uncomfortable. Again another was in one of the windows. He was bare-chested and had only white briefs on to cover his nudity. There were children and people my own age staring out at me. I couldn't take this. As expected the end of the line was a twin of sorts-he looked just like the man in white briefs...only he was wearing nothing at all. His chest was lined with several scratches.

Erica walked me to a metal rusted metal fence. I looked out and saw a scene that I had been told was sacrilegious. I was going to ignore it. I had to.

Her hands left my body. "What...what do you see?"

I could only shake my head and stare down at the dirt and my toes. "Nothing."

"Look up. Don't you see the message from your gods?" She pursued.

With that question I looked out beyond the chain-link fence. There was Miyavi striding down a stretch of beach...again he was too far way from me for me to yell. The same huge men were alongside him in their furry skirts...at least Miyavi seemed to be walking better this time...after a matter of days-I'd hoped he would be...at least for Carrie.

My lips began to tremble as I watched them all walk with freedom. I longed to be there with them. Just then dark circles formed beneath the surface of the green waters.

"Please...please don't..." My lips quivered and my heart began to beat faster. "Please...PLEASE DON'T DO THIS TO ME!!!" It was too late. A white hippo had broken through the water and was staring at me while a second dark circle formed beside him. The first hippo yawned as the other one blinked at me. As quickly as they had appeared they sunk back into the water one at a time.

I dropped to my knees in the dirt as Erica asked me about what I saw. I couldn't tell her. I had no idea what was going to happen to me...I didn't want to know for fear that if they weren't going to kill me now-they would soon. I lifted my dirty hands to my face and did the only thing I could think of...I cried some more.