Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Our Day in the Sun ❯ Part One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The rain was deafening as it fell upon the two boys. Setsuna lay there, unbreathing, unmoving, a peaceful but yet so sad look on his cut and wet face, his arms stretched out at his sides with a broken blade lying upon one of his open hands. To anyone else he probably looked to be asleep, as if he'd decided to take a nap in that silent death valley, the blood that had once stained the ground and rushed from his wounds now washed away in small red rivers. But the truth was he was never to awaken again.
Mizaru stood there silently, head down, his now soulless eyes set down upon one he'd once called his "shining thing", his best friend, his beloved. The blood on his hands dripped down with the rain, the blood on his school shirt starting to seep in, leaving it's mark, but the only of that beautiful red liquid that meant anything to Mizaru, that he knew he could not escape no matter how he tried to reason it to himself, was how, as the rain washed the blood spatter on his face downwards, it fell into his mouth.
"You're wrong, Setsuna," Mizaru spoke softly, his voice inaudible in the rain, a faint smile upon his face as he fell to his knees reaching out his hands to touch Setsuna's ice cold face, "I truly believe this was not the way.......that we could have gone on forever just as we were......"
 
(Three Weeks earlier....)
"Mr. Aramakia, Mr. Kizoku," said the teacher, tapping that stupid ruler teachers carry around on the desk of one of the quieter students, looking down at the two who were on their hands and knees on the ground.
Mizaru Kizoku smiled as politely as he could, "Yes Mr. Sorian?"
"What are you two doing on the floor, crawling around like bugs in my nice classroom?"
Setsuna Aramakia got to it first, "I dropped a contact and Mizaru my darling friend decided to help me find it."
"And why are you doing that when you're already late for my class?"
"Because I can't see without it," Setsuna said and Mizaru sighed, shaking his head in disbelief.
"Out," Mr. Sorian said, "Now."
Mizaru got up and looked at Setsuna who stood up as well. The two then walked out together, an unbelievable cute scowl on Mizaru's cherubim face and a soft mocking tune being whistled by Setsuna. Mr. Sorian went beet-red and the other students started to snicker softly. The two boys then closed the door behind them and started to laugh.
 
Mizaru and Setsuna, no one could ever say or think of one of them without the other as well, as if they were connected by an unbreakable thread, even though they were opposites. One, Mizaru, was slightly shorter than your average 10th grader with the face of an angel or model, but in a cute sort of way more often than hot, and a personality that made him scary if you crossed him but sweet if you're good. The other, Setsuna, was taller and had a remarkably mature look, appearing to be as nice as his counterpart when actually quite vicious, his antisocial personality making his susceptible  to rash actions and sudden freak-out that for some reason only Mizaru could calm. Mizaru kept his beautiful platinum-blonde hair long, never tied up, and Setsuna kept his own dirty blonde hair short, as if to contrast Mizaru. They were quite a sight to see: the childish "angel" and the mature misanthrope. There were only two things, except age and grades and friendship that the two shared.
The two boys were halfway to the end of the hallway where the principal was when Mizaru, whose stride was a bit slower than Setsuna's today, reached out and softly pulled on the small black cross that hung from Setsuna's left ear. Setsuna stopped and looked at Mizaru with a little less than amusement on his face, 'Yes Mizaru?"
"Why the hell are we going to see the old bat?" Mizaru asked, absentmindedly rubbing the twin black cross he wore on his right ear.
Setsuna sighed and for a moment Mizaru thought that he was going to yell at Mizaru about being impatient or something like that, but instead the boy smiled a smile that sent chills through Mizaru's body. Setsuna then spoke, "What then do you suggest we do instead?"
"I don't know, but visiting the cult leader doesn't sound too fun," Mizaru said, now looking away from Setsuna with an irritated pout.
There was silence for a moment. Before Mizaru next knew anything, Setsuna was right in front of him, whispering something into Mizaru's ear that made him go redder than red and caused him to hope to God that someone would soon save him when......
An eraser, as if answering his mental pleas, came out of nowhere and smacked Setsuna right in the head. He stumbled away from Mizaru as a girl, about both boys' age, wearing the school uniform walked over. She had long red hair that was currently in two rattty braids on either side of her head and the same sea-blue eyes as Setsuna. She was scowling, "Setsuna, you freak! What are you trying to do to Mizie?!?!"
"I've been hit," Setsuna said as he fell to the ground,” Call the police, I've been murdered by my sister, murdered I say! O woe is me!"
Mizaru tried to stifle a laugh as Setsuna's sister huffed, "Why in the hell should anyone pity you, I'm the one who has a gay twin brother."
"Bi, sweet Mayia, I'm bi," Setsuna corrected, still playing dead.
Mayia walked over and kicked her brother in the head, "Either way you hit on innocents like Mizie!"
"Um, Mayia, mind not calling me Mizie?" Mizaru asked softly.
She looked at him and for the first time since she'd arrived smiled, "But Mizie is what I've ALWAYS called you."
"I know, but it's embarrassing...." Mizaru said, looking at her, "please?"
He did the cutest sad face he could, prompting a squeal of joy from the girly Maia and a sly near-laughing smile from Setsuna. Sometimes it helped to be cute.
Setsuna spoke, "Now now Mizaru, is that any way for a Demersi demon to act?"
"No, but is acting childish how a vampire should either?" Mizaru retorted smartly.
 
The three shared a secret: Setsuna and Mayia were vampire children, not dhampir but a special case of twins being BORN vampiric, and Mizaru, sweet but grumpy Mizaru, was a Demersi, a demon who is specially trained to kill supernatural forces that would threaten the safety of the Magi clans, those who use magic and the like. Four years had passed since Mizaru had come to kill the twins on their 13th birthday when they powers would start to show themselves but had instead become all too close to Setsuna. For those last few years the three had fought back enemies right and left to back able to live in the town of Soria in somewhat peace. But even with that, it never seemed that peace could last for them.
 
Setsuna stuck out his tongue like a child and Mizaru returned the favor. Mayia, starting to get the feeling that something bad would happen if the two continued like that, interrupted, changing the subject, "Um, so, why were you two late today?"
Mizaru stopped and went beet-red, hoping to God that for once Setsuna would keep his big bloodsucking mouth shut. No such luck.
"Oh Mizaru wouldn't wake up this morning so i gave him a little kiss on the cheek," Setsuna said with a sly smile.
"A little kiss?!?! Mayia, your brother basically sexually harassed me in my sleep! And then he refused to tell me where he hid my school uniform!" Mizaru said before remembering that Mayia hadn't known that he had had to change out of his uniform during his study lesson with Setsuna since he'd accidentally got drenched in water when he tried to get away from an attacking Setsuna.
He went silent again and Mayia blinked, "You...weren't wearing your uniform?"
"I was wearing some of his clothes," Mizaru said, speaking at the speed of light," Setsuna wouldn't leave me alone during our study session so I used my magic to pour water on him, but I got alot of it on me so I changed and...."
"It's okay, Mizie," Mayia said, "It's not like it was your fault," she glared at setsuna who looked  up at the ceiling innocently.
Mizaru smiled and was about to say something else when his head began to hurt. He closed his eyes tight, then fell over, fainting. Setsuna yelled, "Mizaru!"
 
Next thing Mizaru knew he was lying on a bed next to an open window, a soft breeze causing the thing curtains to dance. He looked around, turning his head to see that it was actually the nurses office and that setsuna was sitting in a chair next to him. Mizaru couldn't help but smile when he saw his best friend just sitting there, that single red bang of his hanging over his closed eyes, his head tilted slightly to the side with one hand on his lap and the other hanging over the side of his chair. His earring was twirling slowly in the wind, catching tiny bits of light only to let them go every time. If Mizaru was a girl he probably have thought Setsuna looked cute like that, but he wasn't. He thought Setsuna was much more than cute when he slept, even if he attacked him in his own sleep occasionally.
Mizaru sat up in bad and reached out to shake Setsuna's shoulder, "Setsuna, yo Sets, wake up....Setsu-"
Suddenly, as if he'd just been waiting for that, setsuna awoke and pushed Mizaru back down, pinning him to the bed. Setsuna licked his lips, his eyes thin and strangely more focused than ever, “`Morning Mizaru."
"Good, you're awake," Mizaru said, "Now get off me."
"What, and waste this rare moment of peace?" Setsuna asked, "But that would be no fun."
"Get off vampire," Mizaru said though he didn't even try to push the boy off even though he could.
"No." Setsuna leaned down and kissed Mizaru, his eyes closed but Mizaru's still open. Mizaru would have smiled if he could. Instead he internally sighed and returned the kiss.
The two stayed like that for a while, just kissing and nothing else, but soon enough Setsuna broke the kiss. A thin single strand of their combined saliva remained behind as a last showance of their kiss, until Mizaru began to speak, 'Setsuna? Are you alright?"
"Now why would you ask such a thing?"
"Became usually you'd have tried something while we'd kiss."
"Didn't feel like it."
"Don't believe you."
Setsuna smiled, "Well aren't we suspicious today? Anyway, I had something else I wanted to do."
"What?"
Setsuna didn't answer. Instead his fangs started to lengthen and his eyes went amber and Mizaru suddenly felt heavy and unable to move. He knew what Setsuna was doing. He tried to speak but the force of Setsuna's eyes kept him from doing anything. Setsuna leaned back down again, this time towards Mizaru's neck and then sunk his fangs in.
Mizaru's body jerked involuntarily from the sharp pain. He was able to let out a soft squeak but Setsuna either didn't hear it or ignored it because he began to drink, slowly and steadily. Mizaru tried to regain his own body but still couldn't, the pain only awakening his voice to a soft degree. Setsuna let the delicious red elixir fill the inside of his mouth, knowing that even tasting it was forbidden under the strictest of laws, but he couldn't help it. Mizaru's blood was soooo tasty that once he had stared, all on a whim, he could no longer stop until...
A flash of red hot light inside his head and Setsuna ripped away from Mizaru, stifling a scream of pain as strange images paraded about his mind, images of the Council and Mizaru and then...
"Setsuna?" Mizaru said softly, having immediately regained full power after Setsuna had pulled away.
He sat up once more, one hand on the still bleeding wound on his neck while the other reached out to touch Setsuna's face only to have the vampire pull from him. Setsuna forced a smile, " I'm fine Mizaru, just go back to sleep."
Setsuna used more of this vampiric powers to put Mizaru back to sleep, the boy muttering a "Damnit Setsuna, don't do-" before falling fast asleep. Setsuna ran out of the nurses office, a hand over his mouth, one thought and one thought alone within his mind: Why Mizaru?