Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Reaper ❯ The Reaper strikes… ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1:
The Reaper strikes…
 
“3 years ago Sindo gave his life fighting the Reaper of reapers, he effectively destroyed the reapers army, recently we found out where Sindo disappeared to, Tomoko was the one who reaped the Reapers spirit. Sindo entered the body of a young boy, but not just any young buy a child prodigy, Sindo sadly merged with the boys soul…” An elderly man spoke, he was wrapped in red robes, he had long white hair and a long white beard to match, he stood in the center of a brick construct, around him seats lined the walls and they were full of reapers, all whispering to each other after his last sentence “so that means a human reaper exists again doesn't it?” a reaper who's muscles would put mountains to shame asked standing from his seat. “That is correct Gurndol once again we have a human reaper, and his name is, July Retimo, July is 12 years old now and we have sent one of our best trainers to teach him the ways of the reaper we believe putting him in action immediately after his training is important” The elderly man finished, there were whispers and nodding of approval all around the court. Gurndol stood again “who is training the boy, Vincent?” he asked everyone falling silent at the sound of his voice “Jamerson has been issued…” Vincent answered not taking his eyes off Gurndol, who gave him a nod and sat back down. “I am glad to hear this” a voice echoed around the court everyone stood immediately and bowed before the man who walked in, he was covered by a black cloak his face hidden in the shadows of the hood “my liege, why have you graced us with your presence this day?” Vincent asked bowing low “enough of the bowing, I may be king but we are all equals in this society, we fight for one cause and with out us the world would be in peril, day by day threat levels are lowered and it is because of all your excellent work out there my friends, I congratulate you, and Vincent the news of a human reaper brings me great joy, I believe this calls for a celebration!”
 
July walked down the crowded hallways of his school, he approached his locker when a flabby hand slapped against it, a large boy came into view “hey nerd time to pay up” the boy said with a laugh “back off tubby I have work to do” July replied “what did you just call me you little brat!” the boy grabbed the front of Julys shirt “I called you tubby, clear your ears James and maybe you'll be able to hear me” July finished with a smirk “I bet you think you're real funny nerd, a big comedian, I maybe tubby but at least my parents could actually think of a name rather then naming me after some season!” James said satisfied with what he believed was his victory “that's months stupid, not seasons, July is a month, and my name is original unlike your name which is shared by over 30 million people world wide…” James punched July hard in the stomach. July grabbed him by the neck and stared into his eyes, James let out a yelp as he looked into Julys red eyes “wh-what the hell are you!?” July pushed him over his eyes still red, he held out his arm he could feel as if something was being summoned to him before anything could happen his arm was grabbed by a teacher “July and James huh? This is becoming more and more common boys…” He let go of Julys arm and helped James to his feet “now there is to be no more of this you boys understand, James where do you think you're going?” the teacher said as James backed away from them “I'm sorry mr.Tolkien I won't let it happen again” July said immediately “I'm not the one you should be apologising to July…” Tolkien said sternly “I'm sorry James I shouldn't have pushed you down” July said looking at James, giving him an evil smirk when Tolkien had looked the other way “I-I'm sorry to July… just don't kill me” James said, Tolkien rolled his eyes “good, now James get to class” he waited until James was out of ear shot “alright July no more of this rough housing I need you training every chance you get, you're my secret weapon out there on the soccer field.” Tolkien gave him a wink and stood up again “I'll get changed sir” Tolkien nodded and headed towards his office.
 
Tolkien was the P.E teacher who also happened to be the Principal he was a muscular man, he was young and had orange hair, he was know by the older kids as carrot top, he knew the nick name well, he'd grown up with it after all, it was rumoured for a while that Tolkien was the one who started them calling him carrot top he thought it was a fun nickname to have. July had a natural talent to be good at pretty much everything he tried, he was great at P.E he was at the top of his class for every subject and he still managed to hold the high score on the school pinball machine, that score being 15,378,930. the closest to him was 2,455,000. July had always wondered about the strange feeling he got sometimes, when ever he saw someone get bullied he always wanted the bully to suffer and hopefully die, he never voiced this of course all he would do is sit there and think of possible ways that they could be killed it had been a thing of his all his life to hate criminals and people who beat up on smaller people, but in recent years he had scared off every bully that attempted to hurt him all they had to do was look in his eyes when he got `that feeling' today `that feeling' came back and it had successfully scared off James. July was the last one in the changing rooms, he held out his arm again and concentrated again that feeling as if something was there in his hand, with a puff of black smoke July was thrown off balance, his eyes were opened widely he was staring at the object in his hand, a large scythe.
 
“It's about time…” a bored voice spoke from behind July, July jumped dropping the weapon on the ground, he turned to see who it was, leaning against the wall stood a man wearing black pants, black leather jacket with a red shirt underneath and black leather shoes, his hair was short saved and black his eyes were hidden behind dark sunglasses; from under his rolled up short sleeved leather jacket his biceps were clearly bulging, July stared at him, “who are you?” July asked still trying to get a glimpse of the mans eyes through his glasses. “My name is Jamerson; I am a reaper much like you, only I am trained…”Jamerson said not moving from the wall “what do you mean a reaper like me?” July replied still unsure about what was going on “July Retimo, I have been watching over you for some time now, waiting for the day that you first touch the scythe and your reaper mana reveals to you the world in which you will be working, I cannot be seen or heard by anyone other then reapers, first you must know this July, a reapers duty is to go through a list and kill the people who's time it is, after killing them the soul is to be reaped, if a person passes their time of death the soul will begin it's transformation inside the human, causing the human to go on a rampage and kill anything that gets in their path, if you kill a human but do not reap its soul there is a time limit that depends on the level of `taint' in that persons soul if the time runs out the soul will transform into a `creature' and it will kill everything it sees. Creatures are the taint inside people's souls, if the taint infects the soul completely the soul wants nothing but blood shed and revenge so it transforms into something that will be more fitting for its rampage. When you reap a soul you send its spirit to the spirit plane where its spiritual energy will be sent back into the world, at some point in time spirits will be sucked back into the world in a new body and new soul losing all memories of their former life. Because you send the spirit to the spirit plane the only thing left is the soul which is turned into `soul mana' this is used to cast various spells that we reapers can use to kill humans and creatures more effectively.” Jamerson finished letting what he said sink into Julys mind. “So you're telling me I have the power to kill anyone I want?” July finally asked after much thought, Jamerson nodded “indeed you can kill anyone in the world in any way you want, July I have to go now, I will return later so that you can begin your training, humans can see the scythe by the way…” and with that Jamerson disappeared. July walked out onto the soccer field, he spotted his target, over by the fence was James picking on yet another kid *“the power to kill anyone any way that I want”* July focused on James he could feel the soul mana in him start to swirl, he held up his arm.
 
James fell backwards there was something wrong but he couldn't scream, there was a feeling of immense pain throughout his body he couldn't tell what was going on, July walked over to him still holding out his arm. In his hand the Scythe materialized. July could see James' soul coming out of him; he waited until it had completely left his body then swung the scythe at it, blue power shot down the scythe and into July's body. The scythe disappeared and James was left with a blank lifeless look on his face only, he was still breathing. July walked away to watch from a distance, no one had seen him do this and the kid that James had been bullying ran off long before he started this. He watched and waited *“this has to be my imagination…”* Teachers gathered around, in a few minutes a crowd had gathered and they were controlling it all, within 20 minutes there were ambulances and police all over the place. When the loaded him into the ambulance he was dead. July couldn't believe it, he had actually killed James it was all true he was a reaper and he could control when people died… “Let the cleansing begin!” July said to himself before turning away from the scene.
 
July's father, Phillip Retimo, was a detective he had been on many cases. Julys older brother Marcus, he was 21 and worked on some cases with Phillip; he was currently studying law and was a part time officer at a station near their home. July's father had hoped that July would also follow him into the life of detection. He was a proud father of 3, the 2 boys and a daughter, Maia, commonly called May by friends and family because her name was the same name the month of May was named from, she was 15 and was one of the most beautiful girls around, she was already modelling for magazines and had made appearances in a cereal ad. Phillips wife, Maria worked in real estate she sold houses all over the country. July was the youngest of the bunch however his IQ was much higher. At 12 years old he was doing year 12 school work and complaining it was too easy. Child psychologists said that he should be doing the work but keep him with children his own age. This was the only reason why July was still in year 6. Phillip was a clean shaven man, his dark brown hair had grey strands specked through it he wore a black business suit. He was a respected member of the police force and had been in charge of many cases, there was talk of him getting promoted to a chief but for now they were happy to have him around as a detective. The case at July's school stumped the police. “3 students within a week were killed, 2 of them died of an unexplained cause and the third was hit by a car shortly after suffering the same symptoms the other 2 displayed before dying. Other then that lead we have found another, these 3 students were male and they were all trouble makers, however I'm afraid there is no evidence that these are murders the case is cold and it's time to bury it.” Phillip finished, the chief gave a sigh “well I guess that's it then, we'll monitor the school if something else like this happens again we'll have to close it down, I got news back from the health inspectors and they said everything is clean.” The chief said wiping his brow “job well done Phil like always, don't let it get to you, even the best detectives lose a case. And you are one of the best Phil.” To this Phillip simply nodded.