Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Secret Tragedies of the Heart ❯ Where Is My Angel? ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4
Where Is My Angel?
 
Ian wanted to remain at the hospital, but he knew that he had to return to his work. He stood and stretched from the top of the hospital building. He stretched his wings but recoiled them in pain. He had not given them time to stretch before he took flight earlier yet again and they were causing him some difficultly. He would not be going back to work on his wings. He shifted his form and walked to the hospital roof door. Unfortunately, luck was against him and it was locked.
 
Ian walked to the ledge and peered over at the streets below. He sighed and looked for a fire escape. He found it on the northern part of the building. The worst part was that the top of the escape started one floor below him. Ian stuffed his apron into his pants and any loose clothing hanging out. He didn't want it to get caught on something. He climbed onto the ledge and was about to jump when a loud banging was heard behind him.
 
“What the hell are you doing up here kid!” A gruff man shouted.
 
Ian's body jumped from the sudden noise and shout as he turned and lost his balance. He waved his arms and tried to fall back onto the roof. He was too far over the ledge to do that, so he closed his eyes tightly; he couldn't turn into the angel now…not risking this man seeing him. He would have to fall.
 
“Hey!” Ian's arm was jerked and he fell face first into the gravel on the building. “What the hell do you think you were doing up here! How did you get up here in the first place? I got some call from the building a crossed the street saying that they saw this lunatic on the roof about to jump. So I rushed up here and sure enough I found some teenaged punk!”
 
“I'm sorry sir; I was only trying to get off the roof. I was going to jump down onto the…” Ian began.
 
“There's nothing down there! Do you know how high up we are? If you were to jump from there, you would die before you hit the ground!” He scolded, not listening to Ian's reasoning about the fire escape below them.
 
“I was going to jump onto the fire escape sir because I got locked up here by mistake thinking that this led to another floor. When I tried to go back down the door locked.” Ian lied trying to cover up the real reason he was up there. What coursed through his mind was the person who called. Did they see him change? He had no way of knowing, and he didn't try to think too hard about it.
 
The man drug Ian through the halls. Every room Ian passed he looked in them to try and make his lie more convincing. He sighed and saw that the gruff man was not paying him any attention. They reached the elevator at the end of the hall and rode it to the ground floor.
 
“Here you are. Now don't let anyone of us catch you up there on the roof again. No one is allowed up there.” He said as Ian walked out the door.
 
He looked back up at the hospital once he was outside the doors. People passed by him and a few people knocked into him and pushed him aside as they continued on their way to do what ever they needed to do. He slowly pushed himself up and looked around at the street signs. He followed his gaze to the stop light and continued on his way towards his work.
 
Ian returned to work and finished his hours. The boss was a little easier on him that day too. It didn't matter; as long as he was left alone he didn't care. Ian clocked out when his shift was over and put up his apron and put on his beanie. He walked out back and was about to turn around the corner when he was knocked back onto the ground.
 
“Oh lookie here boys, its white trash.” Kyle laughed along side his lackeys. Ian looked up at them and tried to rise to his feet. “Stay down bitch!” Kyle said as he kicked Ian in the stomach and Ian rolled over coughing.
 
“What? Did it hurt? Does Ian want his mommy?” Kyle mocked. “Oh, I forgot, you don't have a family.” Kyle kicked Ian again. Ian's lip was split and he was bleeding from his mouth. “Did someone bite their tongue? Maybe you should wash it out!” Kyle picked up the end of the hose and stuck the end in Ian's mouth. “Turn it on!” Kyle barked as Alex and Jeremy rushed to do what they were told.
 
The water burst into Ian's mouth as he began to choke on it. Kyle held Ian down and kept the hose in his mouth.
 
“What? You don't like the taste of water? Is it filthy? It can't be as filthy as you.” Kyle beckoned for Alex and Jeremy to turn off the water. Kyle took the hose back and with what little still gushed from the end; he sprayed the water over Ian. “Tomorrow we'll teach you how to use soap.” Kyle left Ian coughing and choking on the water as he laughed loudly while he left Ian soaking wet.
 
Ian had flipped himself over and was holding his stomach and trying to clear his lungs of the water to take in the much-needed air. His lips were blue and his eyes tightly closed. His head was swimming, and he couldn't seem to breath, he couldn't concentrate and he was about to lose concentration.
 
“Ian!” A familiar voice yelled.
 
The brown haired boy pulled Ian up and preformed the Heimlich maneuver on him. Ian slurred and hacked up the remaining water in his lungs and sat back on the ground holding his throat.
 
“What happened to you man? Why were you choking on water?” He asked.
 
Ian turned to his friend and shook his head, “It was nothing…I tried to take a drink from the hose and I ended up turning the water on too strong.” Ian faked a smile but stopped as he felt the pain in his stomach.
 
“You're a horrible liar Ian. Tell me what really happened. Was it Kyle and his two friends again?” He said.
 
“No Eli…its fine. Really.” Ian said trying to not make his friend worry.
 
Eli was Ian's co-worker, and longtime friend. He was tall and strong. He had short brown hair and had green eyes behind his sunglasses. He was a loyal friend, though; the only thing bad about him was that he had a hot temper that could be set off like a switch being flipped. You would never want to set him off.
 
“That prick did do it! How dare he keep beating on you like this every day? He as no right, I'll show him a piece of my mind the next-” Eli said still fuming.
 
“Eli, really it's fine. Don't go getting into a fight at work with him over me.” Ian said as he slowly stood. “See, I'm fine now. Fit as a fiddle.” Ian flinched but covered it up as he turned around.
 
“No you're not! You're bleeding and you're holding your stomach. Let me see.” Eli said turning Ian around.
 
“He only kicked me. I'll fix my cuts when I get home. I'm running late…so I'll see you at work tomorrow.” Ian said as he pulled away from Eli's grasp and ran around the corner.
 
Ian hurried home. He wanted to go to the hospital to see why he was so captivated by the only girl who knew his secret, but he was too tired from the days events, and knew he needed rest. He would go see her that night after he had slept and cleaned up. When he arrived at home. He cleaned up his cut lip and rinsed out his mouth and then went to bed.