Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Synthetic Emotions ❯ Phase 01: Discovery ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

&&

Synthetic Emotions

By: Melissa Norvell

Phase 01: Discovery

&&

Round, innocent, red eyes blinked in curiosity at a lifeless face.

"Oh, so that's the new robot everyone's been talking about," the red-eyed girl said curiously, her face dangerously close to a humanesque one. The robot she was looking at was very beautiful. She had pale skin and light blue hair, cut short and slanting to the front. Her bangs were cut straight across. Her eyes were closed, the color hidden in mystery. The unknown robot wore a maid's outfit and high, white stockings with Mary Janes. Her hands, which were adorned with cuffs were placed folded in her lap.

"She's so pretty," the girl's friend remarked behind her in a young voice, much too young to be the age of sixteen. This girl sounded about fourteen or fifteen in age. She was dressed in their traditional school attire- a white, short-sleeved button up shirt with a black tie and a short black fuku with knee high black socks and black dress shoes. This girl had long black hair that stopped above her butt and was insanely curly. She was of small frame and had large dark blue eyes.

"Her name is Tetsumaru," a lime-green haired girl spoke from behind the computer which connected the wires to the robot. "I built her myself and Hisaka helped me program her.” The older girl gestured with a tanned hand to her assistant, who looked up from his computer a few feet away.

Although Hisaka wore glasses, he was definitely geek sheik. He has short black hair and pale blue cat-like eyes that seemed very sharp and alert. Clicking could be heard as his fingers typed away on the keyboard. "Yes. While she's nothing like a Syntacom, she's still pretty advanced."

"Syntacom?" The curly haired girl questioned.

"Yeah," her friend agreed, "Syntacoms are the cutting edge of technology."

"Yes, they are said to be the perfect Cybernetic Companions. They look completely like humans. They don't use sensors like the ones sticking out of Tetsumaru's head," the green-haired girl explained, gesturing to the robot seated before her. On either side of her head, where ears would be present, two long stalks of metal with red-tipped ends stuck out. "They simply have ports in their head and on their back. Also, Syntacoms have numbers on their arms; each model has its own number."

"How would you keep track of Tetsumaru then? I mean, what if you lose her?" The curly haired one spoke.

"She has a serial number on her," the other girl replied.

"She also has a special Navigation and Tracking system," Hisaka noted.

"Not to mention she'll go into Berserker Mode and eliminate thieves," the green-haired girl patted the robot's back, "Tetsu has plenty of ammo."

"A walking bomb…" The girl with red streaks thought nervously with a laugh. "How scary…"

"Don't worry," the tanned girl smiled a little, "we've already programmed her for all of you, so if one of you has to keep a watch on her, she won't try and kill you. She can sense friends and enemies."

"That's good," the other was relieved knowing that.

"Thank you for coming after school to check up on our progress. We appreciate it," Hisaka smiled at the two girls. He was happy to see that someone was at least interested in him and his partner's studies. They could use all of the support on their project that they could get.

"How long will it be before Tetsumaru is up and running?" The curly haired girl asked.

"Should be up and running by tomorrow hopefully," the tanned one replied.

"Which is good news," Her partner noted. "I can't wait to observe her."

"I remember when she was first built. You guys were so cool!" The kind girl said in adoration. "It was even in the news. Now that you almost have her up and running, it's going to be exciting!"

"Unfortunately, we won't have much of a spotlight now that the Syntacoms have moved in," the tanned one spoke.

"Yes. They do more than surpass our limited technology," Hisaka sighed.

"They must really be something, huh?" Red eyes blinked at the two students from the Robotics Classe.

"Yes, the Syntacoms can do anything- even act as human beings. They are twenty to fifty times stronger than even the best martial artist. They gather information at a quick pace, allowing them to get the upper hand in any enemy territory. They have advanced memory with a nearly endless hard drive. The lower forms of the Syntacoms are the ones we normal people can purchase. They can be used for any possible function but have a smaller hard drive, only going into the tetrabytes."

"So they're just walking, talking computers?" The young girl asked.

"Basically."

"What about Tetsumaru?" The red eyed girl looked to the robot seated in the chair.

The other girl nodded in response. "Afraid so, Tetsumaru was made a year before Syntacoms came out, so I'm afraid she's a bit outdated."

"So much for monopolizing…" Hisaka sighed.

"Yes. Tetsu does appear to be a dinosaur, but technology changes at a rapid pace. If nothing else, Tetsumaru should get me a scholarship into college," the tanned girl smiled.

"Well, we all think she's awesome Chaha. Right, Himemari?" The girl with red streaks looked to her curly haired friend.

"Mmm!" Himemari nodded, her black curls bouncing as she did. "We can't wait to see her in action!"

"Well, you'll see her at school Monday," Chacha replied. "That will give Hisaka and I time to work out the bugs over the weekend."

"So you guys are going to spend your whole weekend here in the Robotics Lab?" Himemari asked.

"Looks that way," Hisaka didn't look up from his keyboard as he typed and monitored the screen, paying attention to every little detail. One slight miscalculation and things could end up the wrong way for Tetsumaru.

"What a bummer. Must suck for you," the red-eyed girl told them. She felt sorry for anyone who was cooped up in school for more than the regularly scheduled class period.

"Actually, I like it here," Hisaka smiled.

"Not me!" She protested. "I can't wait to get out of this place. I had three reports this week and the teachers were being way harsh."

"Well, I'll see you Monday then," Chacha sat back down at her computer.

"Right," Himemari nodded. "Have fun!"

"As fun as work gets," Hisaka deadpanned.

"Have a good weekend."

"Yes." Chacha agreed.

"You too Aroura," Hisaka told her as the two left.

VII

The two girls walked out of the school and headed down the sidewalk of a quaint little town. There were very few people on the streets, since it had been some time since school let out and most of the students had already gone home. The air was cool and crisp and smelled of late afternoon and the sun was beginning to sink into the horizon, signaling the end of another day.

The two had spent three hours talking to their friends about their newest creation and each of their minds were fresh on the robot and excited about what Monday had to bring.

"Tetsumaru was really cool, huh?" Himemari looked to her friend with a bright smile.

"Yeah!" Aroura agreed with a skip, her two red streaks bounding up a bit higher than the rest of her black hair. "I hope she'll be my friend."

"Me too!" Himemari agreed. "Maybe we can show her around school."

"If Hisaka and Chacha haven't already."

"I can't wait until Monday!"

"I can," Aroura sighed with a frown, looking a little pouty before hearing her friend as a question.

"What are your plans this weekend?"

"I don't know," the girl thought for a few moments, not really recalling much that was priority. "Why? Got any plans?"

"Well, I was thinking that maybe we can do something together," Himemari beamed.

"What about Kyoui?" Aroura had a twinge of anger to her voice. She never did like her friend's boyfriend much. He always seemed to get in-between them and he acted like a jerk to her. She couldn't believe that she even still stayed with this guy. He was bad news.

"He has to go down to Tokyo with his parents."

"Good. I didn't want to put up with him anyway. What a jerk. I honestly don't know why you love that guy," Aroura complained as they ended up at a small white house with a picket fence in the front yard. Himemari opened the gate and stood there for a few minutes.

"Well, this is where we split," she went in the gate.

"Yeah, I'm on my own from here," her friend replied.

"Call me later, kay?" Himemari cocker her head and smiled brightly.

"Sure."

"Bye!" The curly haired girl called, waving over her shoulder as she bounded up the stairs and went into her house. Aroura waved back and smiled, closing her eyes

"Bye Hima-Hima!" She then turned and sighed. "Well, just a few more blocks and I'm free," Aroura spoke to herself, looking ahead as she began to advance down the sidewalk.

'I wish I had talent, like Chacha and Hisaka. They always win science fair prizes with their cool robots. I remember two years ago when they made a cool robot bird.' The memory of that event began to flood Aroura's senses.

Hisaka and Chacha stood on a blue stage with a small, metal bird in front of them sitting on the ground a few feet away. A panel of judges was looking upon them as they began to explain their experiment.

"We call him STAC or Synthetic Terrestrial Avion Cybertron. A solar powered robotic bird that can be used as a pet and defense system…Observe," Chacha explained as two plates on the bird's back began to raise up and reveal small machine guns, which aimed at two bulls-eyes from across the stage, shooting repetitively and filling them full of holes. "STAC knows over 2,000 commands both kill and pet functions. The ultimate Robotic Pet."

"But what can I do?" Aroura sighed in dismay. "I'm just a normal school girl…I don't have the smarts for anything like Advanced Robotics." She closed her eyes and tilted her head down and upon not watching where she was going collided with the back of what looked like a girl her age, only it felt like she ran into a metal wall.

"Hm?" The other girl questioned and stopped at the contact.

"Something wrong, Akemi?" Her friend questioned.

The mysterious girl looked over her shoulder to see Aroura. "I think we have a guest, Tomiko."

"It's a girl," Tomiko informed.

"What are you doing here?" Akemi asked.

"That's what I'd like to know…And who are you?" She blinked and looked upon the two girls in awe.

They were both very pretty. The one addressed as Akemi had short white hair that curled at the end. There were two curls on either side of the top of her head, adorned with red ribbons. She had pale skin and red eyes and wore an elaborate white address that was short in the front and grew longer in the back. It looked much like a lingerie-type dress. It was also odd. She was barefoot and simple had white fur around her ankles and wrists and upon her arm on her bicep was a '05' symbol surrounded by two tribal designs.

The one referred to as Tomiko was darker and stranger looking. She had an exotic beauty opposed to her counterpart's mysterious, whimsical one. Her hair was purple with green streaks and in the oddest of hairstyles. She had two locks that went over each shoulder and at the end of each one was a golden ring. In the back, it was of two different lengths. There were shoulder-length strands that flipped up and a long, flowing ponytail that was pulled back in a white ribbon. Her eyes were slanted and cat-like, being of both purple and green hues, making them haunting and mysterious. She wore a dark purple shirt with no sleeves and two pieces of a collar that stuck out from a V-shaped neckline. A pocket lay upon each breast and at the bottom the shirt was cut at a slant, the longer part of it coming to a point at her hip and separating into two different points at the seam of the shirt. Tomiko had white wrappings that extended from her wrist done and went up her arm, disappearing into her shirt. She wore a knee length black skirt and flared out. It had many white ruffles underneath of it, giving the appearance of poof. She looked serious in tone and didn't wear a smile as the other had and upon her arm with the mark of '01' surrounded by swirling lines that danced around it like a frame.

"I am Tomiko and this is Akemi," the purple haired one spoke in monotone.

"We are Syntacoms, Synthetic Humanoid Computers. We are models 05 and o-one," Akemi told her.

"05 and…01?" Aroura cocked her head, confused.

"Yes. It's on our arms. All Syntacoms have one," Akemi informed.

"So you're the Syntacoms everyone talks about," Aroura stared at the two robots that stood before her.

"The very same," Tomiko replied.

"Wow. You look so much like humans it's amazing!" The amused girl looked around at the two. She examined every part of them as they stood there like statues, allowing the girl to examine them. There was not a groove or inhuman attribute about either one of them. It was as if there were two real, living girls in front of her. She was amazed. After a few moments, she looked to Tomiko and cocked her head in question. "But who do you belong to?"

"We are creations of Professor Gaiga," Tomiko stated.

"Professor Gaiga?"

"He lives down the road. We are returning to him," the white haired robot spoke.

"He had asked us to pick up a special package for him. We must be going," Tomiko showed her the small brown box that she held in her arms. After that brief moment, the two female robots turned and walked away, headed back down the streets.

"Wait!" They looked over their shoulders in unison at the school girl.

"What's the difference between your model numbers, and how many are there?"

"There are 10 different types of Syntacoms you can purchase," Akemi told her. "Each one was created for a different purpose."

The robot began to go down the model number and gave a brief explanation of each.

"01- This model is the first Syntacom ever made. Tomiko is a 01. They are basic in function and have a large hard drive. They are used for information storage, common chores and tasks as well as defense.

02 models are built for human entertainment. They have a very sexual attitude and aim to please their master."

"Eh heh…" Aroura could feel sweat rolling down the back of her head. "That's scary!"

"03 models look like children and are less expensive. They store information and follow basic commands.

04 models are used specifically for combat purposes. They have the skill of a squad of ninja and twice the strength.

05 models which I am one of are a newer version of the 01 model. I'm faster, more efficient and have more hard drive space. I can also perform the functions that 01 models can't.

06 models are mainly used as maids or housekeepers.

08 models are more of the fighting and defending types. They are used as body guards or fighters.

09 models are more advanced then 08's and they can perform more tasks. Also, they have more USB ports then previous models and an extensive memory. They are more human-like as well.

10 models are the most up-to-date. They are super machines and possess unlimited capabilities. They are an all-purpose Syntacom. The most advanced and well-known of the Syntacoms."

"Is it my imagination, or did you skip the 07 model?" Aroura was confused.

"I did," Akemi replied.

"We are not allowed to discuss that model. It's still under experimentation," Tomiko told her gravely.

"We as Syntacoms barely know anything of the 07 model except that it exists."

"I thought 10's were the latest models?" Aroura was beyond confused. It had appeared that with the model number, the Syntacoms advanced, but she was completely thrown off by the 07's lack of similarity in that aspect.

"One would come to that deduction," the white haired robot told her. "While the 10's are good the 07's are elite."

'I wonder if the 07's were a little too advanced for Professor Gaiga to handle and deemed unfit for the human possession.' The girl came up with what she thought was a suitable theory.

"I hate to be rude, but we really must go," the dark haired robot told her, her deep voice cutting into Aroura's thoughts and snapping her back into reality. "Oh! I'm really sorry that I kept you waiting. You probably have really important business to take care of." She apologized.

"It's fine. Have a good day," Akemi smiled as the two walked off down the road, and turned the corner, disappearing into the masses.

"You too," Aroura stood in place a while, thinking about her encounter with the two.

After a few moments of deep contemplation, the girl decided to head for home as originally planned. She walked by two large industrial buildings then stopped upon seeing a small, dark alley between the two. There was a small light on the other side, in which she could see a house from the next block peeking its way through to her.

She had heard from some friends at school that this was a short cut, but she'd always been skeptical to take it. But today, she was feeling brave. Aroura stood before the ally, peering into the darkness and submerged in contemplation.

'You know, I've seen this ally many times and I've been wondering if I can get home faster this way. Well, if I get lost I can always go back the way I came. Besides, if I don't the unknown will kill me. Well, here goes!' She thought as she walked into the ally, the dark shadows engulfing her form. As she got closer to the house on the other side, she made a comment.

"Hey. I think I recognize that hou-AH!" She yelled in surprise as her body went tumbling to the ground. "Nugh…" She groaned lying in a crumpled heap on her stomach with her arms stretched out in front of her, one hand clinging to her satchel. She slowly pulled herself up, now sitting with her satchel laid in her lap as red eyes examined the object she had tripped over. When her foot hit it, it was hard and unmoving. She had thought it to be a fallen tree branch or old pipeline.

"What in the world was that? I fell over something sticking out of the side of the road," horror and dread spread through red hues as she took in what exactly she fell over. It appeared to be a human arm.

"Oh my god! It's a human arm!" She screamed and scooted back against the wall, holding her satchel in front of her as she sat there with her knees bent up, not caring if she was flashing anyone or not. Her dignity wasn't even on her mind at a time like that. She forced herself to look at the arm as her gaze ran up it to see that it was attached to a body. It appeared to be a young boy, close to her age with short, spiky black hair and a small red streak in his bangs. He was handsome looking and thin but dressed oddly for a normal school boy. He was attired in a light blue medical gown, as if he had escaped from the hospital. The mysterious boy's grey eyes were open and stared straight ahead, but they held no life to them at all. He appeared dead.

Aroura screamed at the top of her lungs upon making this discovery. It was as if she were being murdered. "A dead body! Oh my god! Oh my god! There's a dead body lying in the ally! What do I do? What do I do?" The black haired girl began to flip out, her eyes shooting around wildly in a fit of paranoia.

Upon calming down and noticing his odd dress, she commented. "Why is he in a hospital gown, and what's that mark on his arm?" She noticed that sticking out from the sleeve of the gown, a tattoo of sorts was on his arm.

The girl curiously crawled over to the body. Unease crept through her heart. It seemed as if he could pop up at any moment and grab her, like a scene out of an old horror movie or something. She gently lifted up the piece of fabric and spotted a numerical mark. It was very similar. Aroura let out a gasp at her discovery.

"He's a Syntacom! But why is she lying in this ally? Maybe he doesn't work," she gazed at him in interest and relieved to know that he wasn't a dead body." Is there an on switch anywhere?"

She wondered aloud and began to search him over, attempting to activate him. She lifted up his arm, but found nothing. Then she looked on his face and legs. Still nothing. Then she lifted up his hospital gown in the back and got nothing but a nude back side.

"Gack!" She irked, her face blushing and her red eyes wide with embarrassment. "He has no clothes on under it…I'm glad it wasn't the front side." She whined.

"Where the heck would a button be?" She began to get a bit frustrated with all of her attempts coming up blank. "Hey…What's that in his ear?" She blinked in bewilderment and stuck a finger inside of his earlobe. She could feel something give way and could hear a clicking sound as a small humming could be hear and numerous beeping noises as if it were going through a series of numbers. Then there were three beeps before the being before her stood up.

She sat there, amazed at this new being flourishing with life. Aroura could only stare at the boy with awe in her eyes. 'I can't believe I found a real Syntacom! I must be the luckiest girl alive…'

The dark haired boy looked around with lowered eyes, he almost appeared sad.

"Where am I?" He then looked to Aroura, who was still sitting on the ground. "Who are you?"

He then paused, holding out his hands and looking at his palms, studying himself intently. "Better yet…Who am I?"

To Be Continued…