Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ The Young Debris ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3

Amria crouched like a dog, perched on what was left of an unstable wall, probably not the best place to be but she wasn’t afraid. The winds had become stronger since there were no trees nearby to suppress it. Amria dug her clawed gloves made of iron coated in fools gold into the wall to balance herself. A gift from her mother who had been a metalsmith artist. Her feet were far apart and her spiked hiking/climbing boots dug into the crumbly bricks of the wall. The charcoal from the bricks would be tough to get off of her normally well-maintained gloves, the last remaining thing that reminded her of her mother.

She could see people moving around by the farm on a nearby hill. Pulling out and looking through her battered monocular she could see it was Kate Mandell’s gang. Amria always favoured the red and black combo the gang had. Never mind that Kate had stolen her boyfriend from her and then dumped him and shattered his heart into a million pieces when she caught her kissing him. It had been a completely honest misunderstanding, she had been aiming for his cheek but he turned his head too soon and... well, oops. But then Kate was known for her unresonable stubborness.

While she was lost in thoughts of annoying farmgirls and exboyfriends, George, the gang leader whom she had assigned to make a map, approached her wall waiting patiently for a moment before clearing his throat.

Amria turned and jumped from her perch, softly landing on the ground next to him. She took the offered map, nodding her thanks and handed him a pack of tomato seeds and a pack of radish seeds as a reward. He left immediately, heading back to his gang. She slowly climbed back up onto her perch, careful of her footing since she really did not want to fall five metres onto the rocky ground, and unrolled the papers. They we’re done rather nicely even if it was only in pencil, it had distances and a legend. Each camp was labelled by a cirlce with gang colors. It even seemed to be almost to scale.

She nodded to herself, “a new era has begun, and let us hope it is better than the last.” She paused and looked out over all of the demolished town, "and that we don't all kill each other again. Never mind that mankind is going to have to start all over again."

Re-rolling the map she leapt down, went into the cellar and made a few copies of the map while adding a few touched to it. Then she gathered some of her things from the cellar and headed towards the farm, maybe it was time to visit her old friend Kate.

* * * * * *

Kate had just finished tending the horses and had changed out of her work clothes into some clean sleepwear when someone just had to knock on her door.

"What?"

"I'm sorry to bother you Kate," a muffled voice called through the door, "ut the Mystic is here to see you."

Kate groaned and flopped onto the bed praying she had dreamt the person on the other side of the door said that.

"Kate?"

She sighed, got up and put on a faded pink cotton robe, "she can come in I guess."

Amria entered the room in about half a second after Kate had spoke, the way she walked it seemed like she was gliding in her satin slippers, Kate secretly hoped she'd fall down or something, the spiked boots she normally wore were removed at the front door of the house. She sat on the end on the bed and waited for Nmber eight to close the door.

“Is there some pressing matter you need to address?” Kate asked coldly.

Amria shrugged and then shook her head, “you and Trent are allies now?”

Kate shrugged and put on her slippers, “yeah, it seemed like a good idea, more people means more work gets done on the farm."

Amria took out a stone and dripped some water from her flask onto it. Immediately she began sharpening her claws.

The grating sound sent shivers up Kate’s spine and she turned to face her, “do you have to do that here?”

Amria finished the thumb on her left hand before she looked up and smiled beneath the mask, “we are honoured to be in the beginning of a new era.”

Kate snorted in response and sat next to her, “and your point being?”

Amria ignored the question and pulled a rolled up piece of paper out from under her robe, handing it to Kate, “I have made several maps for all of the clans…”

“Clans?” Kate interrupted.

Amria sighed and continued, “Yours is the Clan of the Blood Moon, I thought it would suit your colours perfectly..."

"The Blood Moon?" Kate asked in a slightly sarcastic and disbelieving tone.

"Yes, I have written their names and their colors where the camps are, if they move remember to change it on the map,” she stood, her back to Kate, “where I am living at the moment is also marked down, If you are in need of my assistance then come see me, though I doubt you will. I'll let you know if I move. Now I must leave, there are other clans I need to visit.”

“You always were strange. But clans? Seriously?” Kate muttered in annoyance but Amria seemed to ignore her.

Kate ground her teeth as The Mistyc left. Looking at the map again she snorted and reached for her leather jacket, tucking it into her pocket. "Ever since she became The Mystic she’s gotten overconfident. Who does she think she’s dealing with? I could just tell everyone who she is if I wanted." She muttered to herself.

Kate knew why she didn’t tell and why Trent didn’t tell, The Mystic made a good spy, she saw and knew everything. Kate groaned in annoyance and pulled her hair up into a messy bun. It was Time to face another day.

* * * * * *

Trent stood out by the trays alone, gently pouring water onto the soil. He was asked by one of Kate's people to take the watering can and finish watering the last tray since they had just come up to the house to fill it at the pump next to the barn.

“Hi Trent.”

Startled, he nearly dropped the container of water. Turning, he came face to face to Amria herself, the wooden mask she normally wore on her face just hung around her neck. Trent looked away from her. Facing an ex who still liked him and was absolutely gorgeous was not the best thing for him right now, not when he was trying to get on Kate's good side.

Amria stifled her laugh at his surprise and handed him a small sack that seemed to be moving on its own.

He took it and opened it, confused. When he saw inside it he grinned. In it was a small baby short haired terrier, maybe only two months old, with a silly bright red collar around his neck.

“His mom died but I found him and his two brothers. I’m keeping two of them but I figured you might like one since you always said you wanted a dog.”

Trent hugged Amria and took the puppy out of the bag, he took the leash she offered him and he hooked it to the collar around the small dog’s neck.

“Thanks Amm, it’s really cute, I think I’ll name him... Danny,” Trent looked around, "I don't really have anything to give you.”

Amria sighed, “thanks Trent, but you don’t need to pay me for gifts.”

He frowned, "I know but go up to the barn and take some eggs, there should be some sitting in cartons on the shelf from today's collection."

She shook her head, "Trent I can't except that, I don't want you to pay me for the dog."

“Then think of it as a gift as well, besides, I know you probably need the food,” He put the puppy on the ground and tied the leash to his wrist, he looked up at her and smiled, “come by whenever you need anything.”

Amria nodded and began walking away. But then she stopped. She slowly put down the bucket, ran up to him and kissed him hard, her tongue somehow finding its way into his mouth. After a couple moments she let go and looked at him, her face slightly pale.

“I…I’m...” she stammered nervously.

Trent scooped her up in his arms and kissed her passionately. After a few moments he put her back down and smiled sadly, “it’s okay, you should probably get going before someone sees you.”

She smiled and nodded, patting the puppy on the head she slid on the mask, and went up to the barn to grab some eggs before she left.

Trent watched her as she went up the hill and disappeared over the rise. He sighed. Kate would kill him if she found out, that much he knew. Why those two could not get along was a mystery to him.

Tying Danny to the fencepost, he resumed watering the plants. "I gotta learn to control myself," he muttered in annoyance.

* * * * * *

Trent sat on the front step of the house, cigarette hanging from his lips, staring into nothingness. He had finished the chores Kate had given them and now all he wanted to do was have a break and sit and do nothing.

"Mind if I join you?"

He didn't bother to look up at Kate, "it's your house, your step."

She sighed and eased hersel down onto what little space was beside him in fron of the door. "You do realise this door opens outwards?"

He grunted and took a long drag before exhaling through his nose.

"I thought you had quit." Her tone was like someone discussing the weather.

Trent spared her a glance before handing her the half-used cigarette. Instead of throwing it away she stuck it between her lips.

"I thought you quit." Trent muttered, not realising he had just repeated hder previous statement.

Kate gave a small snort, smoke exiting her nose, "with the way things are I think we'd need more than just a smoke, but I'll take what I can get."

"We?"

She waved her arm to what was left of thier small town down the hill, "you, me, everybody. The..." she gave an annoyed sigh, "...clans, as Amria has decided to name them, and it's not like anyone is going to argue with the oh so great and wise one." Her sarcasm was more than obvious as she took a deep pull, finishing off the cigarette, and tossed it onto the ground, grinding it into the dirt under her worn workboots. "You'd think she was some magical being with the way people treat her."

He laughed, "clans? Really?"

Kate shrugged and stood slightly, shifting herself into his lap without any protest from him other than a raised eyebrow. She tucked her head into the hollow of his neck and sighed, "life sucks, that war sucked, Amria sucks, everything just plain sucks. Even you suck ninety percent of the time."

Trent just smiled and ran his fingers through her hair for a few minutes. "So... are we friends again?"

"Don't be stupid, why else would I be in your lap?"

Another moment of pleasant silence.

"So are we just cuddling or do I get sex too?"

Kate reached up without moving her head and smacked the other side of his head, "idiot."