Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tides of Wine ❯ Elliott ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tides of Wine
~Elliott~
 
I did not know what to do with her. She was crying, and I despised whatever had made her cry in the first place. I accused Star with my eyes. She glared at me. Since I had met her, there had been an uneasiness between us. It may have been because she knew who I was and what I was too.
I could sense another part of her that I did not understand. She had traces of insanity spread all over her. Her eyes were just a little too bright. Her smile was all too forced. I did not like her except for her connection to Amelia...who I liked at all?
Frowning, I whispered into my companion's ear. "Mortality sucks, does it not?"
She giggled, not taking the hint. "It does. You can let go of me now. I'm okay."
I released her and helped her to her feet. "Amelia, forgive me for being-"
"An asshole. Yep, that's you." Star implied, grinning madly. I stepped a little further away from her. She's weird. Creepy weird. I glanced to Amelia, who was looking refreshed with reddened eyes and a slight smile on her face. I grinned. I now had something to tease her with. "Better?" I asked her.
She nodded and stretched. "Much." I think that she was just pleased that I had not directly asked her what was wrong. I just did not feel like arguing right now. So I settled for the next best thing. I stretched and knocked her sideways onto the freakishly decorated couch. "Oh, oops." I said, hand held over my mouth and eyes wide.
She did not buy my apologetic routine. "Jerk." Amelia was grinning now. There was a particular emotion shining in her eyes that I found quite pleasant. She was grateful to me. Who would have thought she was capable of such a thing? I had not.
"So we are leaving in the morning." I fell down beside her as I spoke. I wonder if she noticed how close I really was sitting. "Which way will we go?"
"Ugh. Mr. I-have-no-sense-of-direction is asking. But yes, Star, which way is the fastest."
"Felldry will get you there, but you have to pass over Firefly Falls. Kelfy Road will take you under them, and Nildra will take you through the mountains."
"So what is the quickest way? Surely not Nildra." Amelia asked. I was lost to the conversation, suddenly very fond of a floating spec of something in the air.
"Felldy and Kelfy are nearly the same, but it's harder getting under the falls than over them. Cross the river at the top." She sighed. "Horses cross easier there."
"Good, cuz my gambling man over here won us some." Amelia glanced at me while I pawed playfully at a piece of lint in the air. She chuckled, thinking that I looked positively adorable. Star was very interested in studying my hair. It was shining oddly in this light from the dirty window. I was completely unaware as the two women studied me. I was just very concerned with that lint ever hitting the ground or flying away from me.
"Dammit." I snapped as it fluttered out of my reach. Then I crossed my arms and pouted.
I heard them laughing at me. "What?" I demanded, not far from losing my temper again. Amelia giggled and leaned on my shoulder. I was chilled by the contact and shrugged away. She glowered. "Fine. Be that way, you grouch."
I muttered something under my breath and leaned my head on hers. "I win." I snapped, throwing an arm around her shoulder. Standing across the room, Star cooed. "Aw. That's adorable, Elliott. How lovely. The Night Child and Twinklet."
I did something I had not in a long time. I threw a large amount of my energy at her. She stumbled and was surprised enough to let faint disbelief cross her features. I scowled when she caught herself. Apparently, this girl did not know anything of what an immortal was capable. "There is a difference," I said, "Between listening and looking. Experience is knowledge that you cannot wager."
Amelia shrugged out of my grasp to look me in the eye. She was confused. "What are you talking about, Elliott?"
I pulled away. "Nothing of importance." I assured her. "Just babbling aimlessly."
She raised a brow. "I find that hard to believe." Her eyes fell on Star, and I saw a vague realization dawn on her face. It was as if she was saying "Ah!" in her head like she was remembering something. She turned on me. "What did you do to her?" Amelia glowered. "What did you do?"
"Nothing!" I lied. Apparently, it was convincing enough to reassure her. I stood and walked towards the door. "I am leaving. I will be here at dawn. We need to leave then."
"Are you bringing the horses?" She asked me, desperately.
I nodded and left.