Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ To Wish Upon The Sea ❯ Awiti ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

XxXx

To Wish Upon the Sea

By: Melissa Norvell

Chapter 8: Awiti

XxXx

Through the depths of the deep, darkened sea swam a naga female. She was hair as white as snow that covered one of her eyes. The other, which was exposed was a pale blue and had no pupil of any kind. She wore a shirt with no straps and a long piece that trailed behind her as she swam. The naga's skin was dark blue and she nearly blended in with her surroundings.

A worried and slightly frightened look was present on her face and her thoughts were flighty and quick. 'I've got to get far enough away so I can treat this wound.' The naga's thoughts raced as she swam around rocks and through elaborate coral formations. A determined look then formed on her face 'I can't let them kill me. I won't. I won't let humans get the best of me. I just hope that the rouge nagas don't find me.'

Surely the rouge's would kill her on sight, they pledged no loyalty to any clan and some of them even helped humans. The blue naga continued to advance forward as she dodged the coral reefs and large rocks. 'Alright a place to hide out for a while. Now I can finally treat those wounds.' She thought as she swam into a cave and reached into a small pouch that was carried around her waist. The white-haired female pulled out some white wrapping and other medicinal tools. She occasionally fumbled around because she was working one-handed. She took the white wrappings and wound them around her head. She then tied them in the back and stated that she was done. She then glanced at her tools. The needle that she had been using had a stream of faded blood coming from it, her one, uncovered eye held sorrow in it as she continued to stare at the lone tool that she had used on her wound.

The dark-skinned naga then gathered her tools and put them back into her bag and swam a little slow to gather some strength. She didn't know how long she'd swim and she needed to rest before she continued her journey. Dejected, she looked to the bottom of the ocean and wondered what she would do now.

'What do I do? I'm so far from my clan…and I don't see another naga around for miles. I'm definitely in rouge territory. I am taking a huge risk by even being here alone and injured.' As she lifted her deep blue hand, she lightly sat it over the bandages that covered her injured eye.

As the naga female swam through what appeared to be remains of an old ship wreck, she noticed her reflection in a large, broken piece of glass. Seeming transfixed by the image, she stared at the figure before her in deep contemplation. It had been silent for a good hour as her light blue eye took in the image before her.

Suddenly, there was a loud snap that threw her out of her transfixed state of mind. She darted behind an old wooden crate in surprise. 'Who's there?' She then wondered as she slowly peered from behind it to see Thelios, who had been digging around in a pile of junk.

He lifted up a compass that's face had been broken and stared at it in wonder as is swung in front of him in a hypnotic manner.

"Whoa…" He uttered in awe.

"Who is this kid?" The female asked herself lowly.

"This is awesome! I think I'll keep it and show it to IO. I'll just have to be careful around mom, dad and Thanatos. They'll ask me all these questions and stuff. They always tell me not to go to the human graveyards down here but I can't help it! They are so utterly cool," the child beamed and held the compass close to his chest.

'Cool? Is that what he thinks of humans? What a strange naga…Most of us hate them…' The white-haired naga's face was perplexed by Thelios' self-announcement. She became engrossed on his form as she wondered about this mysterious boy and why exactly he liked humans.

"Well…" Thelios stated as he stuck the compass into a bag that was around his waist and turned to swim off. He had only advanced a few inches before a loud creak had sounded through the ship. An overhanging part of the ship collapsed and frightened both he and the young female naga, who both let out a yell as part of the boat fell around them. The blue naga had swum out of her hiding place to avoid being struck with debris.

Thelios looked back as a piece of the floor had fallen down into the ocean below. 'Bad idea! Bad idea!' His thoughts berated him as he swam away from it. He had been too busy looking back to notice the young female who was swimming towards him. Both of them collided and let out a yell in fright as they were thrown to the ground.

"Who are you?" The dark naga asked.

"That's what I was going to ask you. You don't even look like you come from these parts. I mean, your skin is such a dark blue and your hair is a bright white," Thelios stated.

"I've never seen a lighter naga before. Where do you come from?" The curious girl asked him. She had noticed his light skin before and marveled at how someone could be so fair. Her people were all dark skinned. It was strange to see a naga with such a light complexion.

"The palace on the hill," Thelios replied.

"Palace on the hill?" The white-haired naga cocked her head in question.

"Yeah, it's a little far from her but I always make my way back. Hey, what happened to your eye?" The boy asked as he lifted a finger to indicate what he was talking about.

The girl looked wide-eyed for a few moments as she felt a fleeting feeling flutter in her chest. Sorrow and pain of the recent memory flooded her mind but was soon cut short by a spear, which had fallen from the wall and struck the ground between them. She had seen this as the perfect opportunity to change the subject.

"This place is falling in. We've got to get out of here," she advised.

"Right, let's swim through that hold in the top," Thelios suggested. The female naga agreed as they began to swim through the large opening at the top of the ship. Just as the female naga had swam out, the ship began to fall and the suction it created caused the currents to shift downward and attempt to suck them back into the wreckage.

"We made it," Thelios replied before he felt the suction of the currents. Both nagas screamed and braced themselves against the current as they tried to swim against it.

"What's going on!?" Thelios exclaimed.

"The currents created a vacuum. If we can't fight it, we'll be sucked in," the dark-skinned one cried out.

"What!? Are you serious!?"

"Swim as hard as you can!" The girl advised as they both struggled against the currents to keep from being sucked in to the wreckage of the ship. Their little bodies had given their all as they merely stayed suspended in their places. It was all they could do to keep from being sucked in and sinking to the bottom of the sea. Slowly, they began to inch forward and attempt to make it out of the vicious pull.

"Almost there!" Thelios strained.

'I'm getting tired…I've been swimming all this time, trying to escape them.' The white-haired naga thought as she fell a little behind the boy. 'I can't…I can't give in but I just don't have the strength.' She thought in defeat as she fell even more behind.

Thelios looked over his shoulder at the struggling naga and noticed that she looked exhausted. "Hey! What are you doing?"

"I can't keep up," the female's voice was tired, "just worry about yourself." She knew that if he tried to save her then it would cause them both to be sucked in. She would rather him make it them herself.

"No way!" Thelios shot towards her and grabbed her hand as he braced the downward pull. "I'm not getting out of this alone."

"Why would you save me?" She looked up at him in confusion. "You don't even know me. I could be your enemy."

"Do you want to die?" The long-haired male looked her dead in her eye.

"Huh?" She blinked at his serious expression.

"Quit trying to talk me out of saving you."

She looked down. 'I don't understand…Why is he being so kind to me?'

"Almost…there…" He grunted as he closed one eye and put all the strength that he could into pulling out of the edge of the current. He finally made it and the two of them swam through the calmer waters as they watched the old, decaying shell of a ship sink to the bottom of the ocean. They had made it. They were safe.

"You did it," the one-eyed girl stared at him, surprised that he was able to pull off a feat like that.

"That was a close one!" Thelios sighed, then pulled out his compass. "But at least I got my prize!"

"Thank you for saving me," the girl closed her eyes and smiled calmly.

"No problem. Hey, what's your name anyway?"

"I'm Awiti of the Nagata Clan," the girl introduced herself.

"I'm Prince Thelios." As did he.

"Prince?" Awiti blinked. "You're royalty?" She didn't know that she'd been in the presence of a prince. She felt a little rude. She didn't even bow or anything! She looked a little shocked and at the same time, disappointed in herself for not having any manners.

"Yeah but don't start bowing or anything. I just like being treated normally," Thelios knew that look on her face. Everyone wanted to bow or treat him special because he was a prince. In Thelios' eyes, he was no better than anyone else and everyone should be treated the same.

"I feel strange not bowing. It's almost like I'm being rude," Awiti replied. In her clan, those who didn't bow were treated as those who committed treason. It was a very strange situation indeed when a prince told her not to bow for once.

"Nah, I hate it when people bow. Where are you going?" He asked.

"I'm running away," Awiti looked down.

"Why?"

"Well, it's a long story but if you're willing to listen then I can tell you all that you need to know," she started to explain. "You see, I'm not your typical naga. My clan has a very special gift." She replied as she lifted back her bandages and exposed her wounded eye to the prince.

"Huh?" Thelios replied, taken back by what he had seen. "You're eye! It's…"

To Be Continued…