Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Trapped In Purgatory ❯ Lesson 1: Innocence ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

XxXxXxXxXx

Trapped in Purgatory

By: Melissa Norvell/Revamp

Lesson 1: Innocence

XxXxXxXxXx

He walked up to the great academy that stood before him, overshadowing his form with a daunting presence. It truly was an impressive building, perched on it's Greek-style pillars, spanning several stories tall. A cool breeze swept across the elaborate garden in front, blowing past the familiar fountain out front, where students came to sit together, eat lunch, study or converse.

Blonde spikes fashioned into the shape of a mohawk with shorter, spiked hair surrounding it waved in the air. The tall male, dressed in blue jeans with holes in the knees, spiked, black cuffs, and a spiked collar. His blue-jean jacked was washed out and white, tee waved with the breeze, hugging his long, lean muscles as light blue eyes tipped their gaze to the sky.

"I'm finally back. It's been a while. I'm sure my classmates'll be happy to see me again," the youthful male smiled. It was going to be the start of a bright, new day in Shinjinku Academy for Leonardo Sukichi. "It's time to rock and roll!"

Leo entered the main doors of the school, his boots clacking on the marble surface of the floor as he carried a gym bag and a guitar case with him. He had originally planned on going to the dorms, but he couldn't resist visiting some old friends.

He was in luck.

Down the hall a little, he spied a boy in a checkered, monotone yellow shirt with tope slacks and brown, messy hair. He was seated at an easel right in the center of the hall, busily painting as he held his color palette with one hand. Beside of him, there was a little stand with paints, brushes and a glass of murky water where he had washed his utensils several times.

"Hey, Liam, what's up?" Leo walked up behind the boy, peering over his shoulder at his work in progress.

The freckle-faced kid turned. "I'm just painting a perspective piece-" Pausing in mid-sentence, round, green eyes widened and his face lit up in joy. "It's you!"

The blonde winked playfully at his artist friend and jerked a thumb to himself. "The one and only, Leonardo Sukichi at your service, and back from my Pitch Black Tour."

The rock star had been away for quite some time. It was a good thing that Shinjinku didn't function like other schools. Students were allowed to have occupations and work inside of their school hours as long as they did their work on the side and sent it in. The staff realized the type of prodigies that it was dealing with so they gave them special rules to abide by.

"It's been a couple of months! I'm glad to see you!" Liam really missed the blonde. It was strange not seeing him around for extended periods of time.

Leonardo was a friendly guy, always full of that rebel spunk that really lightened up the serious tone of some of the other students who attended the academy. Laim was somewhat envious of a guy like him. He had several chart topping hits, the ladies loved him, and he was super talented. Plus, he was a nice guy in general. Those were good qualities to have, and it was nice that he didn't let his fame get to his head.

"Well, you know if I didn't come back for graduation I'd get held back. I've been busting my ass too much to balance things out to fail now." If there was one thing that Leonardo wanted more than anything else, it was to see his friends in graduation and walk down the aisle to get his diploma. From there on out, he'd be free to pursue his rock career.

He'd have the ultimate freedom.

"I bet everyone will be happy to see you, especially Raiga," Liam couldn't wait to see the yakuza leader's face when he saw that his old friend was finally back. He imagined Raiga probably missed seeing Leonardo's pierced face around.

"How have things been since I was gone?" Leonardo had been sort of out of touch. Every once in a while, he got to talk to Raiga and get somewhat filled in, but it wasn't the same as it was talking face-to-face with the others and everyone's life was different. What was good for one person could be horrible for someone else. It was best to check on all of his friends.

Looking thoughtful for a moment, Liam responded. "Pretty normal, nothing out of the ordinary. We're all pretty syked about graduation. I imagine you are, too." After all, it was less than a week before they would all be closing one chapter of their life and opening another chapter into the next step they would take: either going to college or continuing with their jobs out in the real world.

The blonde clenched his fists, showing off his many silver rings. "Hell yeah, man! I'm gonna crank out the hits on summer vacation!" Leonardo was pumped. He couldn't wait until graduation was over so he could get to doing what he loved most - making music.

"Are you going to college?" Liam was wondering what his plans were after school was out.

The blonde scratched his head, looking thoughtful. "I'm not sure. I'm so busy and all. I haven't given it much thought. I guess you've got your heart set on it?" Why else would he ask? Maybe the artist was hoping that they'd have some of the same classes together.

"My parents would shun me if I turned it down. It was enough just to get into this school. I'm not like you guys. All I can do is paint things," Laim sighed. Compared to everyone else, his talents seemed so small. The teens all around him were ace prodigies who excelled in their professions. Many of them even had jobs doing what they did, and then there was him, the starving artist. His only redeeming quality was that he painted art for movie posters and it happened to get featured in a museum. That wasn't that big of a deal.

"If you're in this school, you can paint like a fuckin' pro. I'm sure Picasso would be jealous," Leonardo gave him a reassuring smile. Of all of the times to doubt himself, now certainly wasn't one of them.

"Maybe I'm too hard on myself. They do say you are your own worst critic." Since Liam was an artist, he was sure that he probably applied to that phrase. He was hard on himself and his paintings. On one hand, he turned out perfect artwork, on another hand; he never felt it was good enough.

"True that," Leonardo winked at him before his expression turned a little more serious, "but seriously; if you're here, you're in the high end of the spectrum. Don't go putting me on a pedestal. We're all equal, the best of the best."

To him, no one was better or worse than anyone else. They all got picked because they were the best at what they did. The students were judged by their respective talents. They got into Shinjinku because they were better than everyone else who had that type of talent. That was a huge honor, one that Liam should not have taken so lightly.

Laim closed his eyes and offered his friend a pleased smile. "It's crazy. You're so famous and you don't have an ego complex." Usually, guys who were swimming in the ladies with a voice like his were huge jerks. He was thankful that Leonardo retained some sense of humanity.

"Who? Me?" The blonde looked a little clueless before he saved, grinning widely as he waved, "yeah, right!" He didn't think he could ever be some kind of huge jerk. It just wasn't in his character.

"Heey!" A deep voice sing-songed the greeting as the both of them turned their heads.

Approaching them was a tall, muscular male with a black pompadour haircut. He dressed in a pin-striped suit and wore a purple tie. Blue eyes and smoky eye shadow adorned his eyes as he walked up to the others. The mobster-looking man smiled widely.

"Raiga?" Leonardo recognized that man from a mile away.

The black-haired man hooked an arm around Leonardo's neck and pulled him close. Caught off guard, the rockstar's smaller form pressed up against his. "Holy shit! You're here!"

"Hey man, I missed you," Leonardo and Raiga embraced each other tightly for a moment. It was good to finally touch him again, to feel him in his arms. To smell that familiar scent of sandalwood and mint again really brought back nostalgia.

"We're in here. That's what y'gotta think about," Raiga reminded the artist of his current standing. He should feel proud of himself for what he'd accomplished and not worry about the time that they'd missed. What mattered was the here and now.

"That's true," the rock star agreed. "I guess I'm just kickin' myself for not talking to you on the phone as much." Leonardo couldn't help that he was so busy, but now he had all the time in the world to make up for his lack of commitment to his dear friend.

Laughing a little, Raiga patted his back. "Don't worry about it. I've been fine. We get all this time before graduation, so let's make good use of it."

Nodding, Leonardo smiled back at him, "yeah, that's true." There was nothing but fun times ahead for him.

"The gang's all here!" Liam announced. "We should have a party to celebrate.” Leonardo coming back was as good of an excuse as any to party a little early. After all, it had been months since they were able to see him.

"Damned right," Raiga was pumped over it. There was nothing like a good party to get him fired up. "We should do it this weekend, that way Leo can spend time with everyone."

Liam laughed a little, shifting his eyes at the black-haired male. "You mean so he can spend time with you." Everyone knew that Leonardo and Raiga were inseparable. The two of them were best friends, after all. "You guys, I swear to god you're either married or you are permanently joined."

Blushing a little in embarrassment, Raiga smiled. "Aw, come on, man. Don't say that shit." His voice was bashful on that subject.

The blonde laughed a little awkwardly. "Come on Raiga, it's just a joke."

"That's true," Raiga scratched the back of his head. "I just got a reputation, you know?"

"I'm not really supposed to tell anyone my sexuality or date anyone because I drop fans," the life of a rockstar was hard. Leonardo had to stay a single man. It was literally in his contract, and it turned out that ladies weren't the only ones who were after him.

"Really?" Liam was a little shocked. The guy couldn't even have a girlfriend because of his record deals? That was harsh.

"That's how it works when you're an idol. If your fans see you dating, you lose them and you lose gigs and sales." Anything to hurt his reputation was definitely a bad thing. There were a lot of people who worshipped Leo. He had fans who attended all of his concerts, groupies who traveled around with him, and men and women who hoped and wished they could date their favorite idol. No doubt settling down or making his relationships would make those who worshipped him become less interested.

"You're basically owned by your record label," Liam didn't know how he could live like that, "that sucks." To have other people dictating your moves was way too constricting for someone like him. Then again, Leo didn't seem to mind that he couldn't date anyone.

"Not if you're getting paid that much money! You can kind of just sleep around," Raiga didn't see what was so bad about that.

"That's a nice loophole, I guess," when he thought about it, Leo could very well just sleep with people without commitment.

"Come on, y'gotta tell me, man. Have you nailed anyone?" Leaning in with a perverse look on his face, Raiga smiled impishly at his blonde friend. Surely he'd gotten with someone by now. If he didn't, he was going to be disappointed in him.

Liam flushed a light pink. "C-Come on Raiga, that's personal-"

The stuttering boy was cut off by the rock star actually answering the question. "Not as many as you think I have. I'm pretty bad with women," Leo didn't like admitting that. Actually, he was pretty embarrassed that he had.

"That's..." Raiga paused, blinking a little, "surprising. Come on y'r a looker! You've gotta have girls falling all over each other to get to you." He didn't expect that at all. Sometimes, girls didn't care what a man acted like as long as he looked good. Surely Leo had some girls like that at his beckon call.

"They like the appeal, money and eye candy. I'm not everyone's cup of tea. I guess I'm self absorbed and high maintenance, and I have anger issues that scare them away," the blonde hung his head. Admitting his faults definitely brought him down off of the stage. He might have been good-looking, and he might have had a nice voice, but that didn't get him far if he had bad skills in romance.

"Time to be a sausage wrangler," Raiga proclaimed proudly with his hands on his hips and a brilliant smile.

"R-Raiga!" That just made Laim blush all the more.

The blonde placed a hand behind his head and nervously laughed a little. "Well..."

"Well, if he was cute, y'd date him," Raiga leaned in, "right?"

"Man, I told you-" Leo frowned, trying to defend himself, but his friend wasn't letting up with his teasing.

Raiga got close to his face. So close that he could feel his breath on him, so close that the dark-haired man could see every piercing, so close that his pointed goatee pricked him in the chin. He spoke to him in a low, seductive octave. "I wouldn't mind dating a rock star. I think anyone would be lucky to have you. Gender never mattered much t'me."

"W-What?" Leo's cheeks lightly turned pink, and he looked a little uncomfortable. Frowning, he closed his eyes as irritation crossed his face. "Man, stop messing with me."

Backing away, Raiga looked him up and down with a hand under his chin. "In truth, y'r easy on the eyes. I'd bend ya over a desk and fuck ya senseless."

"Oh my god!" Liam put his hands to his hot cheeks in embarrassment and Leo just stood, eyes widened and jaw dropped as Raiga laughed at their reactions.

Just then, a broadcast came over the intercom.

'These students are required to report to the conference room immediately at the request of the school's founder: Leonardo Sukichi, Izayoi Ichibana, Kazoo Iefumi, Kasuga Fukimi, Raiga Daifumi, Ryuunosuke Kakuji, Akagi Sekiya, Persephone Peacock, Kaizerschmarren Karchov, Arata Shiimaru, Liam Orlholdt, Okasana Misa, Roxy Lisborn, Shiko Minami, Osmond Vertelli and Monica Sosawa.'

"What did I do this time?" Raiga asked, pouting in the direction of the intercom speakers.

"I haven't done anything, either," Leo commented, "so ya shouldn't worry."

"Y'always worry when y'r a yakuza leader." Honestly, whether it was in or out of school, the yakuza life was hard for Raiga.

"I'm going to put my stuff up and I'll be down there," Liam began to clean his brushes. It looked like his perspective painting was just going to have to wait. No matter, he could always return to this spot in the hall and paint on his masterpiece again later.

Leo glanced to his guitar case, then to his gym bag of possessions. "Me too, I didn't get to make it back to my dorm yet," he spent too much time catching up with the two of them that he completely forgot that he was supposed to be settling back into his dorm. No matter, it was time well spent.

XxXxXxXx

The auditorium was devoid of anyone but the students that were called into the room. Each one stood equally spaced apart on the waxed and polished wooden floor. They stood before a small podium that was facing away from a wall with a mural of a Japanese countryside on it. They spoke among each other for a moment as the school's founder, Mr. Mandio stood behind the wooden podium with a princely-looking teenager beside of him that had long, wavy, cotton candy blue hair. He was dressed in a black and gold jacket with two lines of buttons on the front, white slacks and black, polished shoes.

Mr. Mandio stood tall, a distinguished man with snow-white hair, piercing blue eyes and a white mustache. His portly figure sported a grey suit with a black undershirt and white tie. Clearing his throat, the student body quieted down and cast their attention to him.

"I believe you all are wondering why you're here," he started.

A tough-looking girl with long, wavy hair placed her hand on her hip. "We figured you'd tell us that," she spoke in a deep, yet feminine voice. It was gruff and fit her tough girl ensemble.

"You're all gathered here because you are the top percentile of your class, the best of the best and Shinjinku's elite students," he informed them of why they had all been gathered there. To be the top percentile at a school that was already housing the finest talents in Japan was truly special.

"We're not even part of the student council," a heavy-set, nicely dressed girl commented. Weren't the members of the student council the true elites of the school?

"Yeah, what gives?" Another student asked who had a braided goatee and a hairstyle that was similar to Leo's except with a larger mohawk and shorter, shaved hair on either side.

"It's not like we can be. Most of us have jobs and are only here for graduation," a girl with white hair commented. Her voice was very feminine and sort of quiet.

"Is that it?" A girl with a bob cut that was dark green with light streaks asked. "Since we're already famous, we're considered the top percentile?" She was a little confused at how they had gotten judged as they did.

"I don't understand that, though," Liam spoke up. "I'm not really all that famous."

"Neither am I," the wavy-haired tough girl agreed. "I mean, I'm a well-known sukeban, but to call me famous is an overstatement. I'm not like Osmond, Ryuunosuke, Persephone, Leonardo or Raiga. That's what fame really is." People like that deserved to be in their respected positions, she didn't.

"Yeah, but top percentile?" Raiga asked. "Man, I was held back so many times-"

"Your rank is determined by several factors," Mr. Mandio explained, "not just grades."

"I'd be slipping, too if that was the case," Leo admitted with a sigh. "I'm a bit of a slacker myself." Due to his tour, the rock star really cut back on working on assignments. He did good to get what he owed done at all, much less on time.

"We all have jobs, it's not like we can help it," the green-haired girl threw out her hands and shrugged. "It's hard to juggle jobs and school work."

Mr. Mandio cleared his throat, silencing their chatter. "You have all been called in here by special request. I want you all to meet my son, Inori Mandio," he gestured to the princely boy who stood at his side. "He will be the leader and role model of the elite youth of the future. I thought I would show him what type of students rank in our top percentile here, so I would like all of you to introduce yourselves and list your accomplishments."

"Well, I'll start by kicking this party off," Leo decided to go ahead and get his introduction out of the way. "My name's Leonardo Sukichi-"

Before he could even finish his sentence, he was cut off by the blue-haired boy. "Leonardo Sukichi? The rock star? I had no idea that you were a student here! What an honor!" He clasped his hands together and smiled in bliss. The fact that such a famous rock star was in his presence was wonderful.

"Man, you have fans everywhere," a male student whose hair was combed over into a pompadour remarked.

"Well, I'm flattered," Leo placed a hand behind his head, grinning.

"You've come out with five consecutive top chat hits and you took the world by storm," Inori informed everyone of his knowledge on Leonardo. "They even translate your music in other countries. I'm impressed."

"I guess I need no introduction," Inori pretty much gave it to Leo for him.

Next to him, a girl dressed in street-dancing clothes stepped up. She had long, dark blue hair pulled into ponytails that hung over each shoulder, streaked with light blue and tied with black ribbons. Her frame was small and she didn't have many curves. The girl wore a white shirt with spaghetti straps that showed her well-toned stomach and baggy jeans with blue and white sneakers. She had a tattoo of an anchor on her right bicep, a large, purple flower with leaves and vines on her stomach and angel wings on her shoulder blades that were exposed from her shirt that tied in the back. Bright, blue eyes shimmered and her snake bite piercing was seen on the corner of her chin below her lips.

"My name is Izayoi Ichibana. I'm an entertainer and I have performed in three world tours. I guess you could say that I'm a pop star of sorts," she introduced herself in a peppy, cheerful voice.

Next to her stood a tall man with a muscular, but young build. He had long, light blue hair that nearly went to the ground. His dress was casual, wearing yellow, high water pants, suspenders and a white, button-up shirt with sleeves that were rolled up to his elbows. He had cat-like eyes with small pupils and sharp canines.

Smiling brilliantly, he introduced himself with a toothy grin. "Hey! I'm Kazoo Iefuma, architect and engineer at your service! I can build anything and if I can't build it, I'll damned sure make you a great blueprint of how to. I specialize in floor plans and designs for weaponry."

"Kazoo's plans went into the construction of our campus buildings, including the college," Mr. Mandio noted Kazoo's other accomplishments.

"Thank you so much for your contributions to our school facility," Inori smiled at the youth.

"No sweat, man!" Kazoo winked. "Consider it my contribution to education."

Standing beside of him, a petite girl with short, shaggy, white, flipped out hair donning a small, lolita hat, black corset with an unbuttoned shirt with poofy sleeves below it, lolita shirt with a white-fur-lined edge, knee-high socks with ruffles around the tops, tied by black bows and heeled, brown boots that reached just above her ankles curtsied before them, her hands, covered in black lace, held the sides of her red dress out as she bowed to them.

"Greetings, I'm Kasuga Fukimi, ace criminologist," a seductive, sophisticated voice poured from red lips. "My findings have resurrected cold cases and put criminals in jail. If there's anyone who understands the mindset of a criminal, I do."

"That...impressive," Inori was floored with her. Even though this girl was elegant in stature, her presence in accomplishments was huge. Not to mention with a brain like that, anyone should have been intimidated by her.

"Kasuga put the dreaded serial killer, Sharkhook Hifuma behind bars," Mr. Mandio noted her most famous case.

Raiga was even taken aback by that revelation. Shock ran across his face he tried to let it sink all in. "Sharkhook Hifuma? He was suspected of killing a bus full of students that went to a school down the road, but that case has been cold for fifteen years." How in the hell did she even accomplish something like that? Not even the most skilled detectives could accomplish such a thing.

"That's because their system is flawed," Kasuga commented with a smile as interesting, red eyes looked to the yakuza. "I hope to work as a detective when I graduate. Then I can make sure that true justice prevails."

Raiga simply gave her a nervous smile. Those red eyes with black rings around them were staring daggers into his soul.

"Why don't you tell them about yourself...Mister Yakuza," Kasuga smirked, suggesting that the criminal divulge information for them all to absorb, including herself.

"Yakuza?" Just saying that word sent a sense of terror into Inori.

"Raiga Daifumi i the leader of the largest, most feared yakuza group in all of Japan," Kasuga informed everyone of his bad past. "You could only imagine what he's involved in," red eyes shifted to the black-haired man, "or who he's killed." Her voice intoned a curious edge.

"Hey, I haven't done a damned thing all year," the yakuza replied nervously. He didn't want her to start getting any kind of ideas.

"So you say, but I'd never expect a straight answer from you," Kasuga gave him a confident smile.

Mr. Mandio cleared his throat, interrupting their conversation, "next."

Behind Raiga was a bright-eyed martial artist. He had long, feathery hair that was pulled back with a blue bow and wore a gi with no sleeves, composed of a red top with white borders, a light blue belt and dark blue pants. His body was well-muscled from all of the rigorous training he had done.

He bowed politely before them. "I am Ryuunosuke Kakuji. I excel in martial arts and I've worked as a stunt man in many movies including Iron Fist of Cold Blood, Tokyo Hijack and the thriller, Mega Showdown."

The next person that stood next to him was the girl with the bob cut that had green streaks. She wore a green, pleated skirt with a black corset and white, button up shirt with long sleeves beneath it. A black choker adorned her neck and a black headband sat atop of her head. On her legs were knee-high socks with lace rims and on her feet were black heels.

Green-painted lips that matched her eyes curved into a smile. "I'm Persephone Peacock, the actress of my time. I have starred in seventeen movies and another will be on the way. The fated story of one woman's fight against a fatal illness as she struggles to keep her relationship with her new found lover. I trist you all will watch it when it hits the big screen. I've won many best picture and actress awards."

"Phenomenal!" Inori clapped enthusiastically. "I've seen some of your films and I must say that I'm impressed, especially in Love Like a Highschool Drama."

"Thank you! I do my best!" Persephone smiled warmly, flattered that he was interested in her works.

The white-haired stood before Mr. Mandio like an imposing, black shadow. He was dressed in the same black, Gestapo garb. His eyes were a brilliant lime green and he had bold eyebrows that split off into two points. The teen was highly decorated, with many medals and badges encrusted on the breast of his suit. He saluted the two at the podium with a dire, chiseled expression on his face.

"Kaizerschmarren Karchov here! I have served as a strategist alongside of highly confidential military affairs. Even at this age, my skills are unprecedented. Upon graduation I hope to be inducted into the high ranks of military strategists. My battle plans have even caused Japan's victory in minor conflicts." Kaizer shouted his introduction as if he were standing in front of a drill sergeant.

"Thank you for serving our country," Inori bowed in respect.

"To protect and serve has always been my goal. I would lay down my life for this country. I live and breathe for its success." Above all things, the soldier would carry out that mission, and much more.

Standing slightly behind him was a very short scientist. His silver hair was cut in a bowl cut with one large hair sticking up from the middle like an antennae. He wore big, thick glasses with swirls on the lenses, an oversized, white lab coat and blue pants with black, shined shoes. He shook from anxiety as he was usually shy in the presence of others. "I am...Arata Shiimaru..." He introduced himself nervously. "I've come up with new elements and...I have made great strides in science. I apologize for my shaky voice. I do better behind laboratory doors than I do in the public eye. Beakers and machinery are more my strong points."

Liam was the next one to introduce himself. "Liam Orlholdt, nice to meet you. I haven't done much to be honest. My paintings sell pretty well and I've done art for a couple of movie posters. Recently, one of them was inducted into a museum and I do have two in an art gallery. I'm honored that you'd think I'm good enough to be with these guys, as my accomplishments are nothing compared to yours."

"Those are no miniscule tasks," Arata noted. "You act like you're normal in comparison."

"Hey, if you're with us, then you're one of us," Kazoo wasn't going to let him get away with being earnest.

"No need to tone it down. Y'r no small fry," Raiga was quick to chime in.

"If you've got it, flaunt it. That's the only way you'll earn credibility in this world," Persephone agreed with her peers.

"My name is Okasana Misa," a pale-skinned woman introduced herself. She had long, platinum blonde hair that was in two tight spiral curls on both sides of her head, bright, blue eyes and wore a black dress with a plunging neckline, revealing her breasts and slits up the sides spoke. Grey, lace panty hose adorned her legs, along with black stiletto heels. "I'm a psychologist who has made great strides with my exploration of the inner mechanizations of the human mind. I use my skills to better understand and explore the brain." She glanced around at her peers. "I can also understand and diagnose most people with a single glance."

Upon noting that little eccentric, some of the students turned blue in the face with horror or looked visibly afraid of the woman.

"Man, she intimidates me," Leo noted, sweating a little.

"That's because she's always been right about us," Liam stuck his finger in the air matter-of-factly.

"I've heard she can see though lies, too," Izayoi said nervously.

"Oh come on, guys. She's not scary, just really smart," Kazoo didn't see the big deal about her.

Next to her was a heavy-set girl who had a short, flip cut, wore a red, sleeveless dress, heels and had matching lipstick. Around her wrist and neck were beautiful pearls. "I am Roxy Lisborn, heiress to the largest high tech conglomerate. Even at my age, I manage several business chains across the world and I already have a substantial amount of money."

"Shiko Minami," the petite, white, haired girl beside of her introduced herself. She wore a white, button up shirt with a blue dress with straps over it and lace at the bottom, knee-high, white socks adorned her legs and black loafers were on her feet. "I'm a conversationalist and environmentalist. Recently, I've discovered a new type of insect that lives underground. I also work hard to preserve the ecosystem and the rare and wonderful animals that inhabit it. I have made great strides to help and better mankind."

"I am Osmond Vertelli, world famous model and designer," the male student with the combed over pompadour said as he ran a hand through his hair. Tall and beautiful, he wore a vest with a light blue, button up shirt and dark blue jeans with black dress shoes. "I'm sure you've seen me on the cover of the most prestige catalogues. Modeling is my life, and the world should gaze upon my beauty."

"Yeah, yeah," the wavy-haired, tough girl waved him off. "Name's Monica Sosawa. Nothin' really special about me, other than I'm the most notorious sukeban in all of Japan. I also race bikes and I love to feel the wind rushing through my perm. I ain't afraid to get down and dirty with the rest of 'em. I might be a girl but I can kick any man's ass."

She definitely looked her part. Liam was shocked she got away with dressing the way she did. Her dark red sailor skirt was elongated, and she wore bright red panty hose with black heels. Her sailor top was altered to be a jacket and embroidered with emblems. It was open in the front, exposing her bindings and on her hands were fingerless, red and white fighting gloves. There was no way he was going to even try and tangle with her.

Raiga raised his hand as testament. "I can say I've seen it."

"A yakuza and a sukeban? That's intimidating. I suppose talent is talent," Inori felt intimidated just standing in the room with them. He could only imagine what it would be like going to school with them.

"We show no prejudice in the students who attend this academy. Education is open to everyone," Mr. Mandio backed his word. They would never turn away talented students, despite their upbringing.

The other male with a mohawk that resembled a rooster's comb that was combed over on the top introduced himself. "Name is Akagi Sekiya. I'm in the top batter in the tri-district area. I've taken my team to the championship more times than I can count. I've even done work for professional leagues. I have a pair of mean arms." Rolling back the sleeve of his baseball uniform, he flexed his muscle and smiled, closing his slanted eyes.

"I believe I've seen you on television as well," Inori noted.

"Thank you for your time," Mr. Mandio bowed. "You are all dismissed."

The group of students exited the building and they were silent for a moment before conversing a little.

"That was a little strange," Monica was the first to speak.

"We've had to do these self-presentations before. It's not that strange," Roxy didn't see it as anything out of the normal.

"Why isn't Inori in class?" Liam thought that was odd. Would his father just pull him out to introduce them all? That was just weird.

"All of the lower classes graduate a month before we do and they also start before we do," Shiko noted the way that the schedules were set up.

"That's always made me wonder," Arata looked thoughtful. "Why is it set up like that? I don't understand. Shouldn't we graduate together?"

"It's never been that way at the other school I attend," Kazoo noticed that as well. It was really strange.

"I've only been here a couple of months and I don't understand this school's strange ways," Liam just thought they had a special way of doing things.

"I think they're odd, too," Raiga agreed. "That's also the first time I've ever seen the guy who owns Shinjinku Academy. Frankly, if y'ask me, the whole school is weird."

"If you don't think it's odd, you're deaf, blind and stupid," Roxy retorted. How could anyone not notice it?

"Or maybe ya lived in a hole yer damned whole life," Monica noted.

"I really want to find out why Shinjinku operates the way it does. There's just...something different about this place." There was more to it than met the eye, that was something Osmond was sure of.

...To Be Continued