Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Vacation Girl ❯ Volume Two, Chapter Eight: Morning Walk ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Morning Walk
Monday Morning
5:00 a.m.
Sui-Topii awoke to a knock on the bedroom door. The little girl blinked for a bit. She climbed out of Fumio’s bed and wandered over to the front door.
“Good morning!” she heard someone whisper on the other side of the door. “It’s me, Fergi!” The little girl grew excited. She quickly opened the door. The freshman smiled at the little girl.
“Hi,” she said. The little girl blinked at her.
“What are you doing here?” she asked. Fergi shrugged at her.
“Couldn’t sleep,” she said. “You?” The little girl shook her head. Fergi sat back a moment to think.
“Hm,” she whispered. “What to do?” Sui-Topii smiled and shrugged. Fergi pretended to think. She turned to the little girl.
“Say,” she said. “Would you like to come with me?” The little girl gave her a funny look.
“What about Onii-san?” she whispered. Fergi peeked past the child into the hall. The freshman shrugged to herself.
“He’ll be fine,” she said. “Just go and get dressed.” The child looked uncertain. The freshman gave her a reassuring smile.
“I’ll leave him a note if you want,” she said. The little girl didn’t move. Fergi shook her head.
“I’ll do it,” she insisted. “See, look?” Fergi walked over to the kitchen area and looked for a notepad. Once she found one, she opened the drawer and took out a pen.
“Dear Fumio-kun,” she whispered as she wrote. “I took Sui-Topii out for a walk with me. Be back at sunrise. Signed, Fergi.” She turned to the little girl.
“Good enough?” she asked. Sui-Topii smiled and nodded.
“Yeah!” she whispered.
“Good,” Fergi replied. “I’ll help you get dressed.”
“Yay!” the little girl cheered.
“Shhh!” the older girl whispered. Sui-Topii drew her mouth closed and nodded.
In twenty minutes, the girls made it outside. Fergi took Sui-Topii by the hand and walked down the empty, uneven road. The girl looked up at the older one.
“Where are we going?” she asked. Fergi looked down and smiled.
“Nowhere,” she said. The little girl blinked.
“Nowhere?” she asked.
“Yes,” the older girl said. “We’re just walking.”
“Why?” Sui-Topii asked.
“It’s good for you,” Fergi said.
“How come?”
“Because it just is.”
“But why?”
Fergi patted her on the head. “Everything doesn’t need a reason.” Sui-Topii only stared at her. The birds filled the empty silence of the dim morning sky. The girls walked down the hill. Sui-Topii turned to Fergi.
“Do you like Onii-chan?” she asked. Fergi gave her a little smile.
“Maybe,” she said. The little girl looked at her, puzzled.
“Huh?” she asked. The older girl gave her a big smile.
“It’s. A. Secret,” she cooed. Sui-Topii pouted.
“Poo,” she said. Her new friend patted her on the head.
“I’ll tell you when the time comes, okay/’ she asked. The little girl began to smile.
“Okay!” she cheered. The trees seemed to block out the awaking sky. They saw a truck driving by them. Sui-Topii waved at the driver. He honked his horn in response. The little girl giggled. As soon as they reached the bottom of the hill, Fergi looked at her phone.
“It’s about time to head back,” she said. Sui-Topii looked up at her.
“Already?” she asked. Fergi nodded with a frown.
“Yes, I’m afraid,” she said. “You brother is probably up by now.” The little girl looked at her with big eyes.
“Can we come back here tomorrow?” she asked. The older friend smiled and giggled.
“Of course,” she said.
“Yay!” Sui-Topii cheered. Fergi knelt down before the child.
“Here,” she said. “Climb on. I’ll carry you back.” Sui-Topii looked at her for a long moment.
“It’s okay,” Fergi insisted. “Just climb on.” The little girl complied. The older friend held her tighter to her back.
“Ready?” she asked.
“Yep,” Sui-Topii said with a nod.
“Okay,” Fergi said. “One… two… three!” She rose to her back and raced up the hill.
“Whee!” Sui-Topii called the whole time. Fergi raced all the way back up the hill. At the top, she paused for a breath. The little girl giggled on her back.
“Fun?” Fergi asked in between breaths.
“Yeah!” Sui-Topii cheered. Fergi kind of smiled.
“Good you appreciated it,” she said. The little girl gave her a goofy smile. Fergi smiled and patted her on the head.
They made it back to Fumio’s dorm. Fergi knocked on the door. And low and behold, the young man drew it open. He made a face at them.
“Morning, early birds,” Fumio said. “Have a nice time out?” Fergi only grinned.
“Yep!” she said.
Monday Morning