Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Wake Me Up When September Ends ❯ Part Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Once again, thanks to Megan. for helping me edit and get my muse's butt in gear. So, here it is, the second and final part of Wake Me Up.
 
Disclaimer: I don't ownHere By Me by 3 Doors Down… it belongs to its respected writers. Though, all original characters, etc. do belong to me.
 
~*~*~*~*~
Wake Me Up When September Ends
Part Two
 
 
 
Cain and I sat outside in the early evening sun with Schuylar, enjoying the warm temperatures in the shade of his backyard. I had managed to get out of the hospital with a concussion, and a broken wrist. Along with bruises and cuts along my arms and legs. In June, I had graduated along with all of my friends, and in a month, Cain and I were to be married in a night ceremony.
 
“I'll be back in a bit.” Cain said, getting up and walking through the French doors into the cool house. As the door shut, Schuylar gurgled, opening her midnight blue eyes to the world.
 
“Hey baby,” I whispered to her. She took one of her chubby hands and brought it to my cheek, before returning it to her mouth. She shut her eyes and fell into a peaceful nap.
 
Quick footsteps that came from inside the house caught my attention next. I turned my head in time to see Hana open the door. She stepped out, followed by two other girls. “Izzy,” she spoke, “you have some guests…” She stepped back into the house and closed the door. I ignored the two, and turned my head to face the brick fence of the backyard. I knew who they were. And I knew why they were here. They wanted answers.
 
“Hello Kayla… Fallon.” I said in a harsh tone, trying not to wake my daughter. I continued to stare forward, finding the vibrant orange flowers to be interesting.
 
“This is where you've been for almost a year!” Kayla hissed. Her sandals squeaked against the hot cement. “Why the hell did you leave?!”
 
I glared at my `friend'. “Please be quiet, Kayla.” I said, trying not to scream at the girl before me. Now was when I needed my `Prince Charming' to come rescue me before anyone got hurt. And no sooner had I thought that, had Cain returned outside.
 
He stopped once he noticed Fallon and Kayla. “Uh, Isabelle, what's going on?” he asked, eyeing the other two with me. As the girls acknowledged his presence he began to walk towards me again. Leaning in, he placed a quick kiss on my lips before reaching for Schuylar. “So, Izzy, what's going on? Who are they?” he whispered in my ear.
 
“Cain, these are my friends from Seattle, Kayla and Fallon. They wanted to know why I left Seattle a year ago.”
 
Fallon's eyes went wide. “This is Cain!” she gasped. I nodded and stood up from my seat on the bench. Fixing my Surf Like a Girl tank top and Billabong surf shorts as I did so. “One question,” she began, “who is this?” she pointed towards our daughter. Schuylar slept in her father's arms, a small trail of drool leading onto Cain's shirt.
 
“I think it's time for her to take a nap,” I hinted towards Schuylar. “And someone needs her diaper changed.” My fiancé nodded his response and began towards the door. A burst of cold air welcomed us into the house. Cain headed towards our room, and I followed quickly behind him.
 
I shut the door behind me once I was in the room. Muffled voices came from the other side as I changed Schuylar's diaper. Handing Cain the dirty diaper, he balled it up and aimed for the trash can. “Stop playing basketball with her diapers.” I teased. “We can have your mom watch her if you want to go and shoot hoops.”
 
Cain wrapped his arms around me and whispered his reply. “I'd like that.” As I finished, I placed Schuylar in her crib and walked out of the room and into the bathroom. Quickly washing my hands I grabbed a hand towel and walked back out into the hall.
 
“You two wanna come with us to shoot some hoops?” I asked Fallon and Kayla. The girls nodded and followed me out to the kitchen. Cain was digging through the fridge when we entered.
 
He set four bottles of water on the black granite countertop before asking, “How many bottles are we gonna need?”
 
“Two each, so eight total.” I answered. “Where's your mom?” Cain indicated his parent's room and I started over towards it. “Hana?” I asked once at the door.
 
“Over here Izzy.” The elder woman replied. Her head popped up from the side of the bed. I walked to her and saw that she was digging through a box of old photos. “You know he has grown up so fast.” She held up a baby photo of Cain.
 
“He was so cute!” I respond to the picture. “Anyways, can you watch Schuylar? We wanted to head out and shoot hoops.” Hana nodded and handed me the photograph. I returned to the kitchen.
 
“I so have dirt on you now!” I said, setting the photo down on the counter. Cain's eyes widened.
 
As he tried to reach for the photo, I pulled it back and put my arm in the air. “Please give that to me!” he pleaded, reaching towards my hand.
 
“Um… no!” I teased, backing away from where we stood. Cain raced forward, causing me to fall back onto the tile floors. Looking up, I saw Cain standing over me, a grin planted on his face.
 
“I win…” he smirked, taking the picture out of my grasp and walking over to the trash can.
 
“Please let me keep it, Cain. You were cute as a baby!”
 
My fiancé placed the photo on the counter and walked back over to me. “Need a hand?”
 
I took his offered hand and stood up. “So, whose car are we taking?”
 

 
Five minutes later, we pulled into the Fields at Aliante Park, which had baseball diamonds, soccer fields, and basketball courts. Luckily it was still early in the warm evening, and not that many people were out. I grabbed our basketball and started the short trek to the courts.
 
“Two on two, or HORSE?” I asked when we reached the benches next to the courts. No one answered. “Okay, two on two it is.”
 
We broke for half time after a half-hour. Cain and I took the lead by fifteen points.
 
As Kayla, Fallon, and I walked up to my Silverado to get the water, my `friends' started talking. “So, where are you going to college, Izzy?”
 
I looked to Kayla, her light brown hair looking red in the poor light. “Nevada State, so is Cain.” I answered. We grabbed the water and returned to the court. Right as I set down the bottles, Kayla spoke up again.
 
“Isabelle, please tell us why you left for Las Vegas last year.” She pleaded. Her hazel eyes piercing my blue ones.
 
“My aunt kicked me out of the house.” I answered, picking up the basketball. I walked over to the far hoop and started making shots, just letting the ball bounce off the rim.
 
“Damn it, Izzy!” Fallon cursed, grabbing my left arm and making me turn to face her. “Just tell us!”
 
I looked into her eyes, tears running down my cheeks. “I am sick and tired of having to explain myself to everyone I meet! I was kicked out of my home, and I came down here to a family that loved me. Then I was kicked out of school for almost five months. I was in an accident in April. And all you people care about is why my aunt fucking kicked me out!” I seethed. “You want to know why I fucking left after I was thrown out?!”
 
Strong arms wrapped around my waist and Cain whispered to me, “What the hell is going on here?!”
 
“They started it!”
 
“Damn it Izzy, I don't give a damn about who started it!” he yelled, “Last time I checked you were eighteen, not some pissy five year-old! You were always much more mature than this. What happened to the girl I am engaged to?, because you aren't her.”
 
“Shut up, Cain. You know just how much I hate telling people what I've been through.” Now I couldn't help but give him a small, but angry smile. Never before had Cain raised his voice to me, but it comforted me to know that he wasn't scared to take control of the situation.
 
“Isabelle, what is going on?!” Fallon and Kayla asked in unison.
 
“Cain, you've got your wallet, right?” he nodded, “Why don't you let them take a look at it…” Cain rolled his eyes, as if to say `Why can't you just tell them?', and reached into his back pocket. After fishing out the ratty billfold, he tossed it over to the two girls.
 
“What's this for?” Kayla asked.
 
Cain spoke before I could even open my mouth, “Just open it up, and behind my license is a picture. Look at it, it just might answer your questions.”
 
The two dug through the wallet and just looked puzzled. “Umm… what is so important about a picture with three teens in it, and in odd outfits to boot?” Cain growled and stormed over to the two girls. It seemed they had found a picture that was taken when he lived in Japan, the picture of he, Mariko and Kira in their middle school uniforms.
 
I walked up behind Cain, lacing the fingers of my right hand with his left hand. I watched as he pointed to another photograph. In it, were Cain and myself, as well as a newborn Schuylar, still wrapped in her powder pink blanket. Slowly Kayla brought her head up and looked straight at me. “Izzy, what is this?” she asked, her voice broken and shaky.
 
“That is the first picture taken of our daughter, Schuylar Riese, when she was only an hour old.” I responded proudly.
 
“Hold on… so you and he… I'm so lost!” Kayla yelled, frustration dripping from her lips.
 
“Um… duh!” was our simple reply.
 

 
So quickly did that month go by, that it seemed everything was piling up. It was the Wednesday before the ceremony, so early in the morning, that it was still pitch black outside. I snuggled into Cain's warm, and might I add, naked chest, wrapping my right arm around his shoulder.
 
Our door squeaked open, but I paid no mind. Then the lights were flipped on, so blindingly white did my peaceful darkness become. I shot up from my position, pulling the covers up for modesty, with Cain following my lead shortly after. Blinking away the sleepiness in my eyes, I stared at a female figure in the doorway. “Hana!” it yelled. My soon to be mother-in-law appeared in the hall behind the figure, clad in her silk pajamas.
 
“Did you know your son was sleeping with someone?!” it continued. I focused on the girl. Her long, black hair was pulled into a low ponytail, and her brown eyes gazed upon us. But one of her features caught my attention. Her skin was the palest of milky whites, almost ghost like.
 
“Sakura?” Cain whispered.
 
Hana stepped towards Sakura and grabbed her arm. “Hai, Sakura, I did know that. Now please leave.” I could tell by Hana's voice, that she was trying her best not to scream at the girl. The two began a tug of war over trying to get in the room. Sakura slipped out of Hana's grasp and stormed towards us.
 
Once the girl reached the bed, she attempted to punch Cain, who even in a sleepy haze managed to duck back down onto the mattress. After failing, she reached over to me, grabbing a hold of my chocolate colored locks. Her eyes clashed with mine. “You hussy! He's mine!” A sharp slap rang out in the room as her hand made contact with my cheek. Still grasping my hair, she turned to Cain. “How could you?! You said you loved me! I'll kill you for this!” Sakura pulled out a switchblade from her bra. The serrated blade glinting in the light.
 
My eyes welled up with tears as she placed the blade against his throat. With his eyes shut tight, tears slowly ran down Cain's cheek. “Please, don't Sakura.” He pleaded, “There is so much for me to live for.”
 
Just as Cain finished, Schuylar began to cry. Sakura turned her attention towards the bassinet in the far corner of our room. She began to stalk towards the crib, with Cain and I in shock to where we couldn't move from our positions.
 
Sakura stared into the crib. “You sleep with a whore who has a kid?!” she began to laugh, almost sinister like. She began to lift the knife above Schuylar's infant body. Too quickly, I shot up from the bed, not caring about my lack of clothing, and ran towards my daughter.
 
I grasped Sakura's wrist, and stared at her eye for eye. Taking the switchblade out of her hand, I punched the girl in the stomach. She doubled over, giving me a target for my next punch. She fell backwards onto the floor, and I stood above her.
 
“Bitch,” I seethed, “I would spill my own blood before you would ever spill our daughter's. And I will die before anyone thought about killing my baby girl. You would have been better off going after me. Now leave!” Sakura scrambled to her feet and fled the room. I relaxed after hearing the front door slam shut. I relaxed a little too much. Collapsing to my knees, still holding onto the switchblade, ragged sobs raged through my body.
 
Cain slid down next to me. His bare arms wrapped around me. I opened my eyes to stare at his shoulder. At the junction of his neck and collar bone was an inch long scar, just barely visible to the eye. Why hadn't I noticed this before? “She has kept this after all those years…” he spoke softly, taking the knife from my hands.
 
My hand came to rest over the scar. “She's the one who gave you this, isn't she?”
 
I received no answer, just him pulling me closer, his arms keeping me right where I was.
 

 
I slept most of the following day, wishing away all that had happened. I was again in my peaceful darkness, when I was awoken once more. “Isabelle?” it whispered. The scent of green tea wafted from the person. My uncle. I opened my icy eyes to see the face of the one person in my family who had not cared about my condition.
 
“Uncle John?!” I cried out, swinging my legs off of the bed and leaning in to hug the elder man.
 
“Hey baby, you're looking great!” his husky voice rang out. So pleasing to my ears. “Everyone treating you well down here?”
 
“Of course.” I answered, trying to contain a growing giggle. “You have to meet Cain! He's wonderful!”
 
“I think I have already met him. Tall, dark and handsome?” my uncle joked. I nodded in response. “He seems very witty.”
 
“That he is. And he's so good with Schuylar.”
 
My uncle eyed me. “Now I haven't met Schuylar…” he said, poking my shoulder. Getting up, I walked to the crib. But when I looked in, my baby wasn't there. I turned and walked out of the room, my uncle following me.
 
We walked over to Cain, who had his head resting on the kitchen table, his headphones on. Snatching them off, he glared at me. “Cain?”
 
“Yes…” he said, his voice dripping with a sleepiness he hid from us.
 
“Where is Schuylar?” I asked.
 
As he snatched his headphones back, he pointed towards the side hall. “Conner's girlfriend is coddling her right now.” He blocked me out and put his head back on the table.
 
I started towards Conner's old room, where he and Ryane sat on his bed, playing with his niece. “Sorry to interrupt your playtime, but it's time for someone to go to bed.” Ryane handed me Schuylar.
 
When I returned to the kitchen, my uncle gasped. “She's so cute. Just like you when you were a baby…”
 
A yawn sounded out in the kitchen. I looked over to Cain, who stood and walked towards us. “I'll take her. I'm heading to bed.” I looked to the microwave's clock. 10:11 p.m.
 
“Okay. I'll be there by midnight.” He gave me a quick kiss before turning to head down the side hallway. I turned from the kitchen and walked into the family room, taking a seat on the leather couch, prompting my uncle to join. “So, how's my aunt?”
 
He stared towards the floor. “She read the letter you sent after Schuylar was born. I heard her crying, but she always covered up with `Isabelle was stupid to ruin her life' and such. I think she regrets kicking you out, but trust me, when she found out that I had kept contact with you, she tried to kick me out of my own house.” He laughed, turning to face me. “She insisted that she come with me for this trip.”
 
“Is she here?” I asked.
 
“Yeah, she's at our hotel room. That's why I declined your offer to stay here.” I nodded, and then something unexpected came out of my mouth.
 
“Take me to her.”
 

 
A mere fifteen minutes later, we pulled into the parking lot of Sunset Station Hotel and Casino. Still in my pajamas, I followed my uncle to their room. He took his key and unlocked the door. Inside the room was cast with a dim light. My aunt sat on the bed, flipping through the few channels on the TV. As the door shut, her head turned in our direction.
 
“I said you could visit her, not bring the whore here.” She seethed.
 
A few quick steps brought me to stand before my aunt. “You know, I think you did the best thing by kicking me out. Because I traveled for three days to a family that loves me like no tomorrow. After being there for less than an hour Cain asked me to marry him, and that was before I told him that I was pregnant! And I've waited a year for what awaits me in two days. I refuse to let you ruin my wedding!” I slapped my aunt, the sound of skin on skin echoing in the room.
 
“Now, I promised my fiancé that I would be home before midnight.” Turning to my uncle, I spoke again. “Could I please get a ride home?” he nodded and walked towards the door.
 
“What, you promise him that you would give him some tonight?” my aunt sneered. I whipped around to stare at her.
 
“No,” I began, “he knows that he doesn't get it as often anymore. And he doesn't seem to mind either.”
 

 
It was to be a simple ceremony, no more than fifty guests, at one of the local parks. My dress was simple. The white satin fabric hugged the curves of my upper body, only to flow out gently from my waist down. The laced up back of my dress matched the soft peridot that was the under-layer showing at the hem, as well as wrapping around the very top two inches of the gown. And my hair, it was brought up in a tight bun, with tendrils of my chocolate tresses left down to frame my face. As for Cain, he was in a simple black suit, his black tresses a little more carefully taken care of, instead of their usual bed-head look.
 
It seemed that once I took my uncle's arm and started down the aisle, that everything just flew by. The officiator seemed to speak, with Cain and I following along, but I never knew what we were saying. All too quickly had we exchanged vows and rings to saying our `I do's. But what did catch my attention was this:
 
“Is there anyone here who objects to these two joining together today?”
 
Gasps were heard, as everyone turned to see my aunt at the end of the lantern-lit aisle, panting as if she had just run here.
 
“I do!” she yelled, grasping for another breathe before continuing on, Isabelle trapped him into marrying her! She told him she was pregnant right after he asked her. He couldn't turn back!”
 
Tears welled up in my eyes from the pain she had just caused me. Now, not only had she abandoned me when I most needed a family, but had ruined my wedding day. Fighting the feeling to run away from the disturbance, I began to walk up the white-rock aisle. She continued to glare at me, something sinister behind her silver orbs.
 
When I reached her, I spoke only to her. “You bitch! As I said, you will not ruin my wedding!” my fist made contact with her abdomen, setting her up for the same treatment that I had given Sakura earlier on in the week. Once she hit the ground, I spoke again, “You don't want my daughter or myself in your life, then I don't want you in mine! Now leave!” I hissed. A few of the guests, namely my good friends, more than happily helped me get rid of my aunt, dragging her towards the street.
 
Returning to where I had been the whole ceremony, we continued. “Seeing as no one else objects, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.”
 
Cain wrapped his arms around my waist, as I locked my arms around his neck. Our kiss full of a passion long denied in all the time that we had been together. As we parted, the officiator once again spoke.
 
“I now present to you Mister and Misses Cain and Isabelle Riese.”
 

 
As everyone dispersed for the small reception by the water feature of the park, Cain and I sat on the grass by the chairs where our guests had sat. I rested my head on his shoulder, which now only bore the white dress shirt that had been beneath his suit jacket.
 
The citronella candles still burned in the warm, early August, night air. Over where the reception was, the DJ continued to play sappy wedding songs, then one, more contemporary, song began to play. It's guitar notes and percussion soft, and enticing.

When the visions around you,
Bring tears to your eyes
And all that surround you,
Are secrets and lies
I'll be your strength,
I'll give you hope,
Keeping your faith when it's gone
The one you should call,
Was standing here all along…

And I will take
You in my arms
And hold you right where you belong
Till the day my life is through
This I promise you
This I promise you
Cain helped me up, and we slowly began to dance to the song. The endearing lyrics swept me away to another place in time; back to when everything used to be care free. But now that I think of it, I wouldn't change my life for anything in the world.
 
I've loved you forever,
In lifetimes before
And I promise you never…
Will you hurt anymore
I give you my word
I give you my heart (give you my heart)
This is a battle we've won
And with this vow,
Forever has now begun...

Just close your eyes (close your eyes)
Each loving day (each loving day)
I know this feeling won't go away (no...)
Till the day my life is through
This I promise you...
This I promise you...

Over and over I fall (over and over I fall)
When I hear you call
Without you in my life baby
I just wouldn't be living at all...
We continued to dance, not completely unaware of the flashes of the cameras belonging to our guests and family members. Too lost in our own world to notice the real world and what it wanted us to do.
 
And I will take (I will take you in my arms)
You in my arms
And hold you right where you belong (right where you belong)
Till the day my life is through
This I promise you baby

Just close your eyes
Each loving day (each loving day)
I know this feeling won't go away (no..)
Every word I say is true
This I promise you

Every word I say is true
This I promise you
Ooh, I promise you...
 
I'll hold you right where you belong.” Cain whispered in my ear as the song finished and was replaced with a track off of Rob Thomas' debut album, …Something to Be. “This I promise you…”
 
 
 
 
8
Wake Me Up