Other Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome's Trial ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I know I've been away from this story for a long time, but I had summer assignments that I had to do, then band camp started, and then school started. I just finished my first week! Go me! This year promises to be harder than last year; I've already had to drop AP Spanish, and I still have four other AP classes. It doesn't matter, though. It's my last year!
 
Kagome4Hiei: I'm updating, I'm updating. I've been super-busy, which is why it's taken so long. Sorry to have kept you waiting; I bow before you as many times as it takes to obtain forgiveness. Please don't hate me.
 
~*~
 
When she saw the city, tiny compared to the giant crater that it was built next to, the eye left her after saying to be back at the base in another two weeks. She was still assaulted by demons, but they weren't anything she couldn't handle; after Naraku, she didn't think there was a demon alive who could take her. She walked into the city, her and her giant bag, and made for the inn first. The people were kind and lent her a room. She zoomed up to it and dropped her bag next to the bed; she flopped down on the bed itself.
 
What a day, she thought ruefully. I learned so much, but out of all of that, I think the must useful thing was learning that I could earn money by fighting demons. I can just exterminate the demons in the area and pay for my board. All that fighting is tiring, though. I think I'll just take a quick nap and see what this place has in the way of supplies.
 
When she woke up, she heard voices on the other side of her wall. Irritated, she was about to go and ask them to keep it down when she recognized one of the voices. It didn't hit her who it was, but it made her stop and put her ear to the wall. Focusing hard, she realized with a sinking feeling that it was Jenna's voice. They're staying in the same inn as me, she thought, beginning to panic.
 
“What happened at the top of the Lighthouse?” Jenna was asking.
 
“Karst and Agatio said they couldn't trust us anymore, so they tried to get rid of us,” Felix answered her.
 
“That's not what I meant,” she said. “Why did you keep looking at that statue?”
 
“Oh, that. I thought I saw movement, but I never saw it more than the time it caught my attention.”
 
“You think there was another person up there with us?” a different girl's voice asked. Sheba.
 
“Maybe,” Felix said doubtfully. “I only saw it once, and that person would have had to be a powerful Jupiter Adept to hide their presence from Karst and Agatio.”
 
“Yet you're pretty sure someone was up there,” the man from before spoke up. “Even while we were fighting, you kept looking back at it. I thought you knew to trust your instincts by this time, Felix.”
 
“Piers is right,” Sheba piped up. “If you thought someone was up there, then odds are there was a person up there.”
 
“It doesn't matter,” Felix said. “We won't ever see that person again, probably, and we have to get used to Isaac and his group fighting with us.”
 
The conversation turned to Isaac, so Kagome took her ear away from the wall. They saw her! That wasn't good. Well, they didn't see her, but Felix knew someone else had been on top of the Lighthouse, someone who had no business being there. She would have to be much more careful.
 
Feeling the pangs of hunger begin to make themselves known, she went downstairs after changing her outfit; the one she had been wearing was dirty, and if Felix saw what color it was, she would be in trouble. Instead of putting on something green, like the dress she had been wearing, she pulled on a black skirt and red tunic.
 
Feeling like she was ready and assuring herself that neither color would be recognized, she left her room and went downstairs. She ordered something off the menu and looked around, taking in her surroundings. It was a nice place, not as sophisticated as Lalivero, but still very nice. Her meal arrived, and she dug in. Then someone ran into her chair.
 
“Oh, excuse me, I'm sorry,” a voice said. Glaring around, she saw who it was and froze. It was the boy fighting with Isaac! “I'm truly sorry,” he said sincerely.
 
“Oh, it's fine,” she forgave him, waving a hand at him. “It happens to everyone.”
 
The boy smiled. “Are you a traveler?” he asked.
 
“Yes, I am. Why?”
 
“You clothes are differently styled than the ones here in Hesperia.”
 
“Oh, I got these in Lalivero,” she said cheerfully.
 
“Lalivero? I've been there. How long ago were you there?”
 
“Oh, not too long ago.” She didn't think it would be wise to say she was there that morning. “Care to sit down and talk?”
 
He eagerly sat down and they began to talk about the places they'd been. He had already been to the towns she had been through, so they spoke of how things were different on the two visits. Then he described places she had never been, and she drank it in like a sponge in water. How long she listened, she didn't know, but it was all too soon when the rest of his group and Felix's came down. “Hey, Ivan, where are you?” she heard Garet bellow over the din in the room.
 
“Oh, those are my friends,” he said, waving to them.
 
“You know, I'm done,” Kagome said quickly, rising. “It was nice listening to you, Ivan. Maybe we can do this again sometime.”
 
“Yeah,” he agreed, and she left quickly before anyone from the big group could clearly see who Ivan had been talking to.
 
~*~
 
As soon as Ivan waved at them, Felix noticed that he wasn't alone. A strange-looking girl sat with him. It wasn't her clothes that were strange; those looked like they were from Gondowan. It was her complexion. Bright black hair like that was only found in Xian, but she didn't look like one of them. For some reason she reminded him of someone he knew long ago; he couldn't recall the name now, or what she looked like, but that person reminded him of her. Unfortunately, she left before he could see her features up close.
 
“Who was that?” Isaac asked him, taking a seat next to him.
 
The boy frowned. “I don't know,” he confessed as the rest of them took seats around the table.
 
Garet cuffed the side of his head. “You were talking to her for who knows how long, and you still don't know her name?”
 
“She never gave it,” he said defensively. “I did find out that she's a traveler, though. She visited Imil and Lalivero not long after we left.”
 
“Really?” That got their attention.
 
“How are things in Lalivero?” Sheba asked anxiously; that was her home, after all.
 
“She said things were going well. They stopped construction on the lighthouse, though.”
 
“Good,” Sheba stated. She didn't like Babi, the man who held her captive in order to make Faran build the lighthouse in the first place.
 
“How are Justin and Megan?” Mia asked after her former pupils.
 
“They've been doing a good job, though they haven't been needed much, not since Mercury was lit and the Water of Hermes flows again.”
 
“Hang on,” Garet butted in. “Ivan? You said she was a traveler, right?” When Ivan nodded, he continued. “That's not saying much. Everyone staying in this inn is a traveler.”
 
“Well, I found out she went to those place, and we did, too, so I thought that was interesting,” Ivan replied in his defense.
 
“Leave him alone, Garet,” Isaac said. “It's not important. Let's eat!”
 
Everyone greeted this statement with enthusiasm. While they ate, Felix thought about where he might have seen that girl before. Was she on top of the Lighthouse? No, I saw green, not red or black. Besides, I don't think that girl is a Jupiter Adept. I'll think about it later; right now I have to get used to fighting with Isaac on our side.
 
Looking around the table, he saw that he wasn't the only one. Everyone was just a little tense. Jenna, Mia, and Sheba seemed to be getting along, but the rest of the group, a.k.a. the men, were still watching each other warily. Even Garet, for all he was goofing off like always did back in Vale, didn't let his sword arm stray too far from the hilt of the blade at his side.
 
Felix finished quickly and stood up. “I'm going back to the room,” he told them when they looked up.
 
“Did you want some company?” Piers asked.
 
“No, I'm fine,” he answered. Spinning on his heel, he trod up the stairs and into the room. Passing through, he opened the balcony door and stepped out into the cooling air. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, letting the air clear his head. I never would've thought Isaac would join us. I never thought I'd let them, not after they killed Saturos and Menardi. A lot of things happened that I didn't think were possible. Karst and Agatio actually attacked us. I never knew Agatio very well, but I did know Karst. We were friends growing up; what happened?
 
Opening his eyes, he looked over and saw that he wasn't the only one to come out for fresh air. The girl who was talking with Ivan earlier was there, almost mimicking him. Her eyes were closed, and it looked like she was welcoming what warmth was left from the fading sun.
 
Now that he could see her clearly, his breath caught in his throat. It can't be! She looks like…Kagome! That was her name! But she died in Prox three years ago. He remembered well that day. She had said that she would be back shortly, but when Saturos returned some hours later, she was still gone. By that time, he was in a panic, and Saturos couldn't tell what was wrong because Felix wasn't exactly coherent at that point. When he finally figured out what was wrong, he and some other searchers left to find her. Unfortunately, the snow covered any tracks that she might have left, and by this time, she would have frozen, even dressed in her heaviest furs. Needless to say, Felix had been devastated. She was like family, and then she was gone, just as suddenly as she had come. Over time, he had forced her from his memory, since it was like a knife twisting in his chest every time she appeared in his mind's eye, and time hadn't stopped the pain; in fact, it seemed to become more acute as time went on.
 
Acting very out of character, he leaned on the rail closest to her balcony and called over, “Nice night, isn't it?”
 
Her head snapped around to look at him, her eyes wide with…fear? She seemed very nervous for some reason. “Um, yes,” she agreed, slowly backing up.
 
She even sounds like Kagome, except older. “You're afraid of me,” he remarked. That stopped her.
 
“I'm not afraid of you,” she contradicted him.
 
“I can see it in your eyes, and you were backing away from me.” He was smiling. This is fun.
 
“I'm not afraid,” she repeated stubbornly. “Why would I be afraid of you?”
 
“I don't know,” he agreed. “I don't recall ever doing anything to you, so this fear of yours is unfounded.”
 
“I told you, I'm not afraid.” Now she was grinning. She knew he was playing with her. “Maybe you're the one who's afraid of me, only you said I was afraid so I wouldn't know it was the other way around.”
 
“Maybe. What's your name?”
 
She hesitated. “Do you not have a name?” he teased her. What was it about her? He almost never acted like this around his friends, much less a complete stranger.
 
“My name isn't important,” she said, not answering his question. “How long are you staying in Contigo?”
 
“It depends,” he answered evasively. “Why?”
 
“Just wondering. I'm staying for a few weeks, and was wondering if you were going to be my neighbors the whole time.”
 
“Well, I know we aren't staying that long,” he chuckled. “Maybe a few days at most.”
 
“Oh.” She looked a little disappointed and…relieved? What was with this girl?
 
The door to the room opened. “Felix?” Sheba was calling him.
 
“I'm being summoned,” he said unnecessarily to his room neighbor. “It was nice talking to you. Maybe I'll see you around?”
 
She smiled. “Maybe.” She went in the same time he did.
 
~*~
 
He didn't know me. Kagome didn't know whether to feel relief or hurt. It was good that he didn't recognize her, but maybe he didn't remember her at all. I guess I can't really blame him; I mean, I forgot everything about this place. I can't be mad at him if he's forgotten. Maybe that would be for the best, since I'm not even supposed to interact with him or anyone else. I need some sleep. I know I just took a nap before dinner, but I'm so tired. Absorbing all that power really takes it out of you.
 
Over the next few days she kept running into them. It wasn't exactly a big town, and they were staying in the same inn, but it was uncanny the amount of times she ran into at least one of them.
 
Then they left. She was in the weapons shop when Piers came in. She greeted him like she always did when she saw one of them, and he told her they were leaving the next day. That night she saw all of them at a table and was looking for an empty one when Ivan waved her over and invited her to eat with them. Feeling very nervous, she sat down and listened to them plan their next move while she ate her dinner quietly.
 
“We need to go to Prox,” Felix said. “That's where the last Lighthouse is located.”
 
“Isn't Prox where Karst and Agatio are?” Mia asked.
 
“Since they now have the Mars Star, that's probably the first place they headed,” Jenna said glumly. “Now we have to go and pick up our parents.”
 
“So we're just going to let those two light the last Lighthouse?” Garet asked.
 
“We don't have a choice,” Felix informed him. “It doesn't matter anyway. As long as it's lit, then it doesn't matter who lights it.”
 
Piers turned to Kagome. “We'll be sorry to say good-bye to such a good neighbor,” he stated. “I hope we will meet again.”
 
She smiled. “It was nice meeting all of you. I'm sorry you have to leave so soon.”
 
“If you're ever in Angara again, you should visit Vale sometime,” Jenna said. “We'd love to see you.”
 
“I'd like that. Maybe I will.”
 
She said good-bye to them and left for her room. Once they're gone I don't have to be quite so careful. Still, they were nice, and I'll miss them.
 
The next morning she woke to the sound of a crowd leaving. Throwing on some clothes, she asked the innkeeper what was going on.
 
“The wings of Anemos have been attached to the ship in the harbor,” he answered. “Everyone who can is going down to see it fly.”
 
Not having anything better to do, she joined the throng of people and they made their way down to the harbor, which was some distance away.
 
To her surprise, she saw Felix and the rest of them talking to a woman, then boarding the ship. “Is that their ship?” she asked the woman next to her.
 
“Yes. We believe they are the ones the prophecy is talking about, so we put the wings on their ship. Now we have to wait and see it fly.”
 
Fat chance of that thing flying. Still, she stayed and watched as it sailed towards the entrance of the gulf. To her surprise, blue ring surrounded the boat, and the wings spread, carrying the boat over the obstacle that had been previously blocking it. Well, you learn new things every day. Once they were over, the people dispersed. Kagome wandered back to Contigo with them and meandered around the town.
 
The rest of her time in Contigo was dull without them. She would occasionally go out and destroy any demon that was unfortunate enough to cross her path, and earned her coins. In a way, she was almost relieved when it was time to go to Jupiter Lighthouse again. Unlike the other times, the Eye wasn't there waiting for her. In fact, she waited around and killed demons until close to evening before the thing showed up. “What took you so long?” she demanded.
 
“It was not yet time. Now it is.” The familiar swirling took place, and she was once again on top of the Aerie. She was by one of its dragon statues (There were only four this time), and a few seconds later, she saw why. The group of eight Adepts plus Kraden came up the stairs and would have seen her had she not been behind it.
 
Just as Felix approached the chasm to throw in the Mars Star (How did he get that? I thought it was with Karst and Agatio.), the eye floated up and started talking to them. After saying something about miracles stopping them, it faded and a three-headed dragon flew up and landed in front of the holding place of the Mars Star. They knew what to do and spread out. The dragon fought them, and some of its attacks nearly blew Kagome clear of the Aerie, but after a long time (it felt like hours to Kagome), it fell, its three heads cut off. The heads shimmered and changed shape to ones Kagome knew only too well.
 
“Eric, Arianna, Kyle,” she whispered to herself. “No. How could this happen?”
 
The fighters were upset when they recognized who it was they had killed. They weren't dead yet, but they were close. Piers and Mia did what they could, but the adults were too far-gone.
 
Felix, with a set expression, approached the pit once again and threw the Star inside. The usual rising of the planet came, but a cry from Garet brought her attention to him. “Let go of my wrist,” he cried.
 
“Garet, get a grip,” Isaac shouted. “No one's touching you.”
 
Then something new happened. The planet spasmed, turning angry red and neon yellow. “We have to get out of here,” Kraden shouted. “The Lighthouse is dangerous.”
 
“We can't leave our parents,” Jenna cried.
 
“If we don't, then we won't get out alive,” Piers pointed out. “Felix, should we try it?”
 
He nodded. Then the planet spasmed again, and they all grabbed an adult and ran like their lives depended on it.
 
“It's time,” the eye said by her arm.
 
“You made them fight their own parents,” she said. “How could you do that?”
 
“It was necessary. Now go. Be careful. The Golden Sun is rising above Mt. Aleph as we speak, and the Lighthouses are preparing to send their power over it. You must hurry.”
 
She walked to the edge of the pulsing planet and put her hands on it. The fire burned in her veins, her very being. She was the volcano that destroyed so much, the candle that allowed people to see, the fire where people warmed themselves. The heat was consuming her, but she relished the feeling. Like the other elements, she played a part in life; without her, nothing would grow, and all would die. She was a destroyer, but she also bestowed life.
 
She was thrown out of her reverie by a particularly harsh burst from the planet. “It's time to leave. The Lighthouses are dangerous,” the eye said. She grabbed her bag and the two of them were teleported to the base of the Lighthouse. This she recognized, having been here many times with Saturos, Menardi, and Felix.
 
“Am I going to back to Prox now?” she asked.
 
“No, you are going back to Contigo.”
 
“But isn't it just easier to go to Prox?”
 
“They will be leaving that place soon, but Contigo is a safer place.”
 
“As you will.”
 
They found themselves outside of Contigo a few seconds later. “You have absorbed the power of all four Lighthouses. Your job is finished,” it said.
 
“What? So now what are you going to do? Leave me here? Send me back?”
 
“You are free to choose. Would you like me to take you back to your home?”
 
It would be a familiar setting, but I don't think I can deal with all the memories. “No,” she sighed. “There's nothing for me there, not now.”
 
“Would you like me to take you back to Prox?”
 
“No, I'll just stay here, I guess.”
 
“Then I will leave you. Our paths may cross again, or they may not. Good luck to you.” It vanished.
 
She went back to the inn and got her room back as she had only left that morning. When questioned about her early return, she replied, “I saw what I needed to see, so now I need to figure out what I'm going to do.”
 
A few days later there was a stir in the people. “What's going on?” she asked the innkeeper.
 
“The flying ship has returned,” he responded.