Other Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome's Trial ❯ Chapter 19

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey, what do you know, another chapter! I haven't been getting much feedback, so I don't know how the story is. Is it good, bad? If you see something wrong with it, tell me. I'm writing to get better, and I can't get better if someone doesn't tell me what's wrong. Don't be shy, show me the problem spots!
 
~*~
 
“Felix sure looked surprised when he found out we brought you guys with us,” Kagome giggled. She and Piers were the only ones still awake. They were just sitting by the fire, taking in its warmth and light.
 
Piers smiled. “Yes, I can imagine that he wouldn't have thought that you would bring company with you.” He looked down sadly.
 
Kagome noticed his change in expression. “What's wrong, Piers?” she asked in concern.
 
“This will all end soon,” he murmured. “In too short a time, you will all be gone, and I will be the only one left.”
 
“What do you mean?” She had no idea what he was talking about.
 
“Do you know what a Lemurian is?” he asked her. She shook her head. “Lemurians, like myself, live for far longer than normal humans do. We do die eventually, but it's very rare and only after our bodies have failed after centuries of use. I still have a long life ahead of me, but you only have a few years left. Once you are gone, I will still look like this for a long time after. It hurts to think about it.”
 
“Piers…” Kagome said comfortingly, putting an arm around his shoulders.
 
“The curse of longevity,” he sighed. “I've tried not to think about it, but Felix is twenty now, and he only has a few more decades left to live. He, along with the others, is the closest friend I've ever had, and I will be devastated when he leaves.”
 
Poor Piers. I wish there was something I could do for him. The Shikon no Tama! It went into my body, but maybe it will still grant my wish. I want Piers to not be alone his entire life. He needs to find someone who won't die before him and will always be there for him. I don't know if I'll live to see that day, but I can always hope it comes true.
 
Over the next few weeks, they all grew closer. Kagome was still tight-lipped about her past, but they could tell it was painful for her to think about, so they didn't ask after the first time. They were fascinated with her Hiraikotsu and shakujo, and would watch her practice with them. She had already gotten to the point where she could throw Hiraikotsu and have it return; now she just needed to work on getting her arms strong enough to send it through trees. The shakujo helped her to focus her priestess powers. She was now stronger in that as well as her body. That wasn't something she showed them, but she did demonstrate how she could defeat a demon by just using the shakujo and not anything else.
 
Piers and Mia were interested in her healing techniques. They had been unable to cure the fevers that cropped up in Vale and wanted to know how to make it better. Both were amazed at how simple it was. They knew that they had to get the body temperature down, but they didn't know that if the patient got the shakes, their temperature would rise. They also didn't know about the “feed a fever” saying.
 
“Yup,” Kagome said, “you starve a cold and feed a fever.”
 
All too soon, it seemed, they had to return. The night before they had to leave for Vale, Kagome sat up with Felix, both of them looking at the stars and enjoying each other's company. They had already tried to convince her to come back with them, but she still adamantly refused. They had to accept it, as she wasn't going to give in, and they left for their “beds”, leaving only her and Felix awake.
 
“Kagome, what is it that binds you here?” the Venus Adept asked. “You never said.”
 
She sighed and stood up. “Come with me,” she commanded, walking out with him following. They stopped in front of the Goshinboku, and she pointed at the six gravestones by its roots. “That's why,” she stated.
 
“What is it?” he asked, kneeling down to examine the foreign letters on them. “Is it some sort of decoration you used in your town?”
 
“Iie,” she said, shaking her head and not realizing that she was speaking in Japanese. Felix looked back at her, and she realized her mistake. “No,” she corrected herself. “Those are gravestones.”
 
“Who's buried here?” he queried.
 
“My friends. Miroku, Sango, Inuyasha, Shippo, Kirara, Koga,” she named them and pointed to the corresponding gravestone, her throat becoming closed with grief. “I don't have graves for my family, but these serve to remind me of them also.”
 
“So they're all dead?” he asked softly.
 
She nodded, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. “That's why I can't leave,” she whispered. “I don't know how this came to be here, but I won't leave it or them.”
 
Seeing her distress, Felix stood and embraced her, letting her cry onto his shoulder. “Shhh, I'm here for you,” he soothed her, holding her close.
 
Once her tears ran out, she stepped away from him. “Sorry about the waterworks,” she sniffed. “I didn't know that was going to happen.”
 
“How long ago did this happen?” he asked.
 
Just like five years ago, she found herself opening up to him like she didn't with anyone else. “Two years ago, right before I returned here,” she replied. “My friends all died, and when I got home, I found out that my house had burned down, killing my entire family. That's when the Wise One appeared to me, and I came here.”
 
“You shouldn't be alone out here, you know,” he said.
 
“I won't leave them!” she stated.
 
“I'm not asking you to,” he gently rebuked her. “What I'm saying is you should come see us in Vale every once in a while, and I don't mean once a year. Or, if you don't feel like making the trip, allow us to come see you.”
 
“I've already said you could,” she started, but stopped. “No one can remember how to get here once they leave,” she said, more to herself than Felix. “I wonder if I can fix that.”
 
“Did you want help?” he asked.
 
“I don't know what you could do,” she said into his shirt.
 
“We could find out,” he stated.
 
She looked up and saw him smiling down at her. “You're leaving tomorrow, though,” she said. “We can't find a solution in one night.”
 
“I'll stay as long as it takes,” he promised. “If that's all right with you, of course.”
 
She smiled back at him. “What will Jenna tell your parents? Wouldn't they want you to come home?”
 
“You do realize that I'm twenty, right? It's time I moved out of the house, anyway.”
 
“Then we'll let Jenna know tomorrow.”
 
Jenna wasn't too happy about having to return without Felix, but agreed to tell their parents where he was. The rest of them were as happy about that as Jenna, but accepted it after Kagome promised that they would visit every week until they fixed the problem; then they could return the favor. Once they left, Kagome turned to Felix. “Okay, let's get started.”
 
Luck wasn't on their side. First, they had to locate the boundaries of where people lost their memory of how to return to Kagome's home. Kagome couldn't do this, so it fell to Felix. It was very time-consuming, and after days of doing just that, they discovered that it had about a two-mile radius.
 
Then they had to find out why people kept losing their memory. That's what stumped them. They had no idea of where to begin searching. And they also had to visit Vale, just like they promised. It annoyed Kagome to no end when she was ready to leave and Felix made her wait just a little longer. Usually he was in one shop or another, so she would tap her foot and wait impatiently for him to get done. When he was ready, he would apologize for making her wait, and basically soften her up, and she would forgive him.
 
In addition, Kagome had to find time to make a bed for Felix. Since it seemed like he would be staying for some time, she refused to let him sleep on the floor or one of the cots. That took some time, too, but it was finished long before they had established the boundaries.
 
“You know, maybe we should just make a path,” Kagome suggested after they wracked their brains once again for a solution. “We'll make it to the boundary, and if you just remember to follow it, you'll eventually reach me.”
 
“It's the best thing we've come up with so far,” Felix agreed. “How do you suggest we go about it, though?”
 
“Just get rid of the trees in the way, and there's where the path will be.”
 
Kagome had to do most of the work herself. She had discovered earlier that Felix felt the pain of the trees if she cut living ones down. She had been practicing throwing Hiraikotsu, and it split a tree. Felix, who had been watching, had doubled over. When she rushed over, he'd said, “That tree was still alive.” That was why he would leave the area when she cleared the area for the path. He removed the trunks when she was done, but he still looked like he was in pain whenever he did this. Kagome felt bad, but there wasn't anything she could do about it.
 
At length, meaning almost six months later, they were done; they had one path that went to the two-mile limit. It wasn't straight by any means; some trees were too stubborn for Kagome to pull out of the ground without making Felix pass out from pain, and he had been standing a good distance away. “So, do you think it'll work?” she asked, looking at the Venus Adept beside her.
 
He looked back at her and smiled. “Yeah, I think it will,” he said, sounding sure of himself. “But we can test it tomorrow. Right now, I need a bath, some food, and then rest.” Arms over each other's shoulders, they walked along their new path to Kagome's home.
 
Right before Kagome went to sleep, her thought caught up with her. Now that the path is done, he'll leave. I've grown used to him being here with me, but I can't ask him to stay. He needs to find himself a wife, someone he can raise a family with. I could be that person…Wait, what am I thinking? I can't! Inuyasha…I won't betray his memory. I'll just have to get over Felix leaving.
 
She fell asleep and dreamed she was back in the Feudal Era. Looking up, she saw the branches of the giant Goshinboku towering over her. “What am I doing here?” she asked aloud. She felt a presence behind her, a familiar one. “Inuyasha…”
 
The hanyou stepped in front of her, an angry look on his face. “What do you think you're doing?” he demanded, glaring down at her.
 
“What do you mean?” she asked, confused. What is he talking about?
 
“You know what I mean. Felix!”
 
“What about him?”
 
“You're not even going to ask him to stay? What's the matter with you, Kagome?”
 
Her eyes filled with tears as she stood up. “Inuyasha, I won't betray you! I still love you.”
 
His eyes softened, and he held her. “I know,” he murmured, “but I'm dead. You're still alive. Before I died, I asked you to find someone who could return you love. This guy is the person you've been waiting for; don't let him slip from your fingers.”
 
“Please, Inuyasha, don't make me forget you,” she pleaded.
 
“I'm not asking you to; all I want is for you to be with someone who will make you happy, and I have a feeling this guy is it. Don't be so locked in the past that you forget to live. Remember, but don't let it consume you. Everyone agrees with me.”
 
“They do?”
 
“Yup, even Koga. We all want you to be happy.” He started to fade.
 
“No, Inuyasha!” Kagome shouted, trying to keep him here.
 
He smiled sadly. “That's all the time I have. Please think about what I said, and stop being sad all the time.” He disappeared completely.
 
“Inuyasha…” Kagome's legs collapsed, making her fall to the ground. He wants me to be with Felix. But what if he wants to live in Vale? I won't leave their graves! I refuse to do that! Well, if Inuyasha wants me to be happy with Felix, I guess I don't have a choice except to do as he says. I promise, Inuyasha, I won't forget, and I'll try to find happiness.
 
The next morning she got up earlier than normal and put on her priestess clothes like she always did except when visiting Vale. How to go about this? she wondered as she prepared fruit for breakfast.
 
She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't see Felix come in. “Good morning,” he said, yawning and stretching as he came into the kitchen. “Oh, sorry,” he apologized when she jumped.
 
“That's okay, I wasn't paying attention, that's all,” she said, giving him the fruit. “So, since we finished the path, what will you do now?”
 
He frowned. “I don't know. I'll go back to Vale, I suppose. Why?”
 
This is it. Inuyasha, I hope you're right. “Do you have to?” she asked softly, looking more like she was talking to her plate than him.
 
“What?” He sounded startled.
 
“Must you go back to Vale?” Now she was regretting opening her mouth.
 
“Do you want me to stay?” he asked seriously. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see him looking at her.
 
“I wouldn't want you to stay here if you wanted to go home to Vale,” she stated quickly, but stopped when his hand moved her head so she had to look at him.
 
“Do you want me to stay?” he repeated. “If you want me to, I will.”
 
“But you have family in Vale.” She looked down. “It was wrong of me to ask that of you. I'm sorry.” She tried to stand up, but Felix pushed her back down.
 
He knelt until they were at eye-level. “If you would have me here, then I would like to stay. Yes, I have family in Vale, but you need me more than they do. We've already established that we can live together for over six months without killing each other; the rest of our lives shouldn't be a problem, either.” He stopped.
 
“You would be willing to spend the rest of your life with me?” Kagome asked, not sure if she'd heard him correctly.
 
He nodded, then sighed. “I suppose I have to do this formally.” He got down on one knee in front of her. “Kagome, will you marry me?” Reaching into one of his pockets, he produced a small box. He opened it and revealed a golden ring with a crimson ruby surrounded by a circle of tiny diamonds.
 
Kagome was speechless, so she nodded, a grin spreading over her face. A similar grin was on Felix's, and he embraced her. “Where did you get this?” she asked when she got her voice back.
 
“In Vale the last time we went,” he answered. “I was going to ask you earlier, but I couldn't get up the nerve.”
 
“Don't you think we're a little young to get married, though?” she asked, remembering how things were done in her time.
 
He laughed. “Is that how things are done in your village? Here, people get married younger than Sheba, and she's sixteen.”
 
“Oh. How many people knew you were going to ask me to marry you?”
 
“My parents and maybe Jenna. They're the only ones.”
 
“When did you plan on telling them?”
 
“If you said no, then never. Since you didn't, then they'll find out today.”
 
“I see. Are you going to move your stuff here, or just buy new things?”
 
“I'll see if anything's worth bringing over here. We can probably sell the bed since I have one here already, unless you want to put it in a spare bedroom.”
 
They were still talking as they traveled to Vale. Since they still weren't sure what to do about Felix's old things, they stopped by Piers' home, where all their friends happened to be. Needless to say, they all congratulated their friends and were more than willing to help move whatever they needed to, like Felix's old furniture. They all went to Jenna's home, and Eric and Arianna were thrilled to hear the news. They wanted the wedding to be as soon as possible since Felix and Kagome were already living together. Neither parent wanted unpleasant rumors going around.
 
In the end, they decided to just take all of Felix's old things and drag it with them. One of the Valeans lent them his wagon, and they piled it high with his belongings. Driving it to the edge of the forest, they then unpacked what they could carry and started transferring it to Kagome's home, one of them always staying with the wagon. By the end of the day, they got all the stuff in the sickroom; Kagome and Felix said they'd fix it later.
 
“Why don't you guys come back to Vale with us. Just until the wedding is over,” Piers said, adding the last bit at Kagome's glare. “Arianna said it would be soon, so you might as well stay.”
 
With Felix promising that they'd return after the wedding, Kagome reluctantly agreed. Kagome stayed with Mia, Piers, Ivan, and Sheba again while Felix stayed at his parents' home.
 
The next day, Kagome, Mia, Sheba, and Arianna talked over how the wedding should be. By Kagome's standards, the wedding would be simple, not like anything at home, but she was okay with that. The one thing she did insist on was the white dress and veil. Everything else could be their way, but she had to have a white dress and veil. The others gave in to her request, as this was her wedding.
 
It took some time to make the dress and veil, but not as long as making the path through her forest. With her friends helping her, Kagome finished the dress and veil in less than two weeks. Mia, the most artistic one with a needle, added in the extra flair that it needed. During this time, she rarely saw Felix, as he was busy with their male friends and his father, doing whatever guys did to get ready.