Other Fan Fiction ❯ A Paratrooper's Experience ❯ Rescue Mission ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 11
700 hours
September 22, 1944
 
 
 
I heard the sound of our boots touching on the ground. Our weapons jingled as we walked.
“ Where are we going again, sir?” Pvt. Nichols questioned.
Lt. Boone took the cigarette out of his mouth and answered, “ To rescue some high ranking officers that have been captured. It's a rescue mission.”
“ Yeah, okay.” He mumbled.
I felt a drip of water fall down from to my skin. Then more drips of water fell down. Then more. Then even more.
“ Dammit, it's raining.” Lt. Boone commented.
We approached a village that had tall buildings.
“ Flash!” Lt. Boone warned as we leaned our bodies on a wall.
“ Thunder!” came the reply as we saw a couple of airborne soldiers run.
We quickly ran and saw that the soldiers were shooting some Germans in the rain.
“ Take Cover!” one soldier yelled.
We leaned our bodies behind a house as I fired my Thompson instantly hitting 2 enemies. I spotted an MG42 turn their attention to us.
“ Shit!” I cried.
The bullets started to wheeze by. I tried to cover my head with my arms. Pieces of fragments fell.
“ Mortars!” I heard a soldier scream as an explosion knocked him down. I tried to protect my loose helmet.
Then, more explosions came. It was pure hell. There were guys dying, machine guns firing, things exploding.
As the MG reloaded I dashed at the window they were firing from. As I made my way, one Kraut suddenly wrestled me as he frantically tried to take away my weapon. An idea immediately popped into my head.
The Kraut was pulling his hardest trying to get my Thompson. I surprisingly let go as he fell to the ground. On one quick move, I pulled my Colt pistol out of my belt and pulled the trigger. A hole popped into his head knocking him dead.
I turned my head to the side and saw that the MG was almost finished reloading.
Suddenly, a chilling bullet went out that killed the machine gunner. I realized that a sniper had fired it.
A Kraut yelled something in German and retreated.
Then an explosion boomed near me. I felt kind of dizzy and an annoying sound rang in my ears. I grabbed my Thompson but left the pistol. I didn't have much time. Chaos was everywhere. I realized that my helmet had fell off my head making me vulnerable. I quickly grabbed it and ran even though I didn't know where I was going.
I felt a hand grab my uniform and pulled me to cover.
I slapped my head and the sound went away. Things quickly began to get back to normal. Well, at least I thought. I looked up and saw that the soldier that had grabbed me was Anderson. A whole clip fell out of his gun and he instantly reloaded. He quickly continued firing.
I came to my senses and started to fire my gun. But when I fired it, there were no bullets in it.
I took another clip out of my belt and reloaded. I fired my Thompson again. I fired at three Krauts trying to dodge fire.
Not on my watch, I thought as I grinned.
I fired my Thompson at their direction. About five bullets hit them, but the rest hit the window behind them. I reloaded quickly and fired again.
More bullets hit them this time. I noticed that one soldier was trying to throw a grenade but his body quickly weakened and he fell dead. The grenade detonated a moment later.
“ Get outta streets! 3 Panzers on the northwest!” a soldier screamed.
Just then, I could hear the wheels of a tanks approaching.
I spotted a soldier with a sticky bomb in his hand and placed it in the side of the tank.
The tank blew up 5 seconds later, but the soldier was too near as he exploded in pieces, too.
Dumbass, I thought.
Just then I could hear more wheel sounds. There are more tanks.
There were more tanks. Allied tanks. I could suddenly see a tank fighting against another. Sherman vs. Panzer.
It took a few minutes before the whole battle was over.
I was exhausted. I decided to sit down with Anderson. He was just looking up at the sky and daydreaming.
“ So what's up?” I asked him.
“ Nothing, just this damn freaking shitty war.” He answered in disgust.
I felt confused. Why was he mad?
As if reading my mind, he handed me a paper.
 
 
Greetings Pfc. Anderson,
I have very sad news to bring. It has been reported that your older and younger brothers, Sgt. John Anderson and Cpl. Karl Anderson has been K.I.A. They have both been killed during the successful Normandy Campaign. I am sad to bring this news to you but it is my duty as an officer.
 
 
Yours truly,
Capt. Jack Robinson
 
 
 
 
So that's why he's mad, I thought. I handed him back the paper.
“ Sorry, man. It happens.” I stated as I got up.
“ Where you going?” he asked.
“ To sleep.” I replied and ran.