Other Fan Fiction ❯ A Paratrooper's Experience ❯ Zon ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 13
400 hours
September 23, 1944
 
 
 
 
I quickly realized when Lt.Boone meant when he said we were moving out “early”.
“ C'mon ladies, wake up!” the lieutenant ordered.
Everybody immediately woke up except for me. I couldn't sleep. I had trouble sleeping. I wondered why.
The sky was still dark and there was no sound except us.
“ We've come in Holland for a reason. It's not just to kill Krauts.” The lieutenant said.
“ We have come to support those Brits.” He added firmly.
“ Now, it's time for us to do our job. Because we are the airborne!” Lt. Boone yelled.
“ Hoorah!” We all exclaimed in unison.
“ Move out!” came the order.
We immediately got our equipment ready and moved out. We walked down a dirt road.
“ Where are we going, sir?” I asked as I came up to Lt. Boone.
“ We are going to a village named Zon.” He answered. He took out a map from his uniform and showed me where it was. We were really near Zon.
I decided to take a look I stopped walking and took out my telescope. I could see the village. Several Krauts were moving from house to house and I could see at least 3 MG42s stationed in each 2-story house.
I tucked back my telescope and caught up with the rest of the platoon. We were closing in on Zon.
“ Stop!” Lt. Boone ordered. Everybody halted.
“ Take up your positions! Find any available cover.” He said.
I quickly dashed to a cart that was turned over.
The lieutenant ordered a soldier to throw a smoke grenade. The soldier obeyed and did what was told.
When smoke came out, the MGs fired at our position. Bullets shredded the wooden cart I was in. The bullets hit an American behind me and he instantly fell dead.
I have to find another position, I thought.
I put my hand on my helmet to keep it from falling and ran. I jumped and landed on a pile of tall grass. My uniform was dirty but I didn't care as long as I survived. I just kept lying prone until the firing stopped.
“ Charge!” the lieutenant shouted.
We immediately ran and charged into the village. We kept mowing down Krauts on our way. Then, the 2 MG42s fired at us. Soldiers behind me died. I ran as fast as I could and took cover in a wall behind a house. Tiny pieces of brick fell.
I watched in horror as soldiers got mowed down with snipers and machineguns. Most of them took cover in the house, though.
Then, artillery came. Explosions were happening and I tried to keep dodging from place t place. I quickly came up to where Lt.Boone was.
“ Resistance is much farther than I've anticipated.” He said.
“ You bet it is.” I growled.
“ We need to flank the artillery gun.” He advised.
I nodded. “ But there's only two of us,” I said.
“ So? Whose saying a private and a lieutenant can't take down an artillery crew?” he replied.
We started to move to the right flank.
2 Germans popped up from a behind a crate and Lt. Boone picked them both off.
We came up to as soldier with a Browning Automatic Rifle mainly known as the B.AR.
“ Where's the rest of your squad, soldier?” Lt. Boone asked him.
“ I don't know, sir. I'm kind of lost.” He replied.
“ Alright, just follow our tail.” Lt. Boone responded. The soldier obeyed.
Then we leaned on a wall of a house. I peeked and saw the 88-artillery gun. There was about 3 Germans operating it and 4 Krauts guarding.
The soldier with the B.A.R. lied prone and set it up. He looked at me and nodded.
I tossed a grenade at the crew and the 4 German guarding it were mowed down by the B.A.R.
I checked his helmet and saw that it had a spade insignia on it, which meant he was in the 506th parachute Infantry just like the rest of us.
He grinned after he finished killing the Krauts.
My legs were beginning to feel weak and I decided to take a short rest. After all , a soldier needs his rest.