Other Fan Fiction ❯ A Paratrooper's Experience ❯ A Letter from Home ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 14
630 hours
September 23, 1944
 
 
 
 
The sun was already up in the sky. Most of the Germans were dead but some retreated and there were a few stranglers.
I just kept sleeping after the battle was over. Maybe because I didn't get to sleep last night.
Most of the medics were busy tending to the wounded and we were still waiting for the bridge to the south to be cleared. There was a bridge to the south of Zon that needed to be neutralized.
It wasn't our job, though. Our job was to clear the village of all resistance and another battalion would take care of the bridge.
I sighed. Anderson was still reading the book he had read yesterday. I guess he hasn't finished reading it.
I was busy trying to play with my equipment and sleeping. I was really bored.
“ Mail Call!” a soldier yelled. Everybody ran. There was shoving and pushing just trying to get their letters. I stood in the back waiting.
“ Smith, Ryan!” the guy yelled. He tossed a letter to me. I picked it up from the ground and saw that it was a letter from back home. I ripped the envelope and saw a letter and some pictures.
 
 
 
Dear Ryan,
We really miss you here. I was so happy when I heard you survived the campaign in France. But now, you're in Holland. I wish you the best luck and your brothers here miss you very much. Your father has quit his factory job because it has been shut down. He was sad at first, but when he heard you survived, he jumped around like a crazy maniac. I hope that operation you are in works so that you can get here just in time for Christmas. Wish you the best luck!
 
 
Love,
Mom, Dad, and your brothers
 
 
I put the letter in my pocket and looked at the pictures inside the envelope. My brothers had grown up big and my parents had gone a little bit old. Also, my younger brother, Tyron had grown a mustache. He said he always hated mustaches but he had one now. After all, he was 14 years old. I tucked the pictures back in the envelope and tucked it inside my pocket.
At least, they're alright back home. I thought.