Other Fan Fiction ❯ Black Roses ❯ Bloody Desires ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Gladiator stepped through the Guild doors, still following the apprentice. She led him to the map room, where the Guild Master was wringing his hands.
“Ah, Hero, you came. Thank Avo! I, um, uh, was worried you, uh, wouldn’t.”
Gladiator just waited for the other man to continue.
“Oh, yes, um, well...I would like to ask your advice on, uh...”
“Get on with it.”
The Guild Master straightened himself, “Sorry, it’s just, well. Let me show you what I want your advice on. If that’s, um, agreeable with you?”
“Yes, yes.”
The Guild Master nodded, shooed the apprentice, and started to lead Gladiator to the training grounds.
“It’s not as if, um, I would drag you here without, um, uh, purpose. I truly, uh, need-.”
Gladiator hushed the Guild Master, giving him a smile to calm the man down.
“Just, tell me what’s going on.”
The Guild Master relaxed a bit, nodding his head.
“Of course! You see, um, it is Reaper-.”
Gladiator stopped the man with a small questioning noise.
“Oh! Evange chose his, um, title. It, uh, was Reaper.”
The hero nodded, trying to appear calm. Secretly, the title chilled him. Would Evange truly be what he was foretold to be? The title seemed to whisper ‘yes’ in Gladiator’s ear. The hero was listening to it.
“Uh, so, um, I tried to give, um, Reaper his quest...He said, uh, he’d come back for it. And when he does,” The Guild Master turned red with indignation, “He orders me to allow some misfit girl of his into the Guild!”
Gladiator cast a sidelong glance at the Guild Master, silently thinking of these developments. He kept his face calm but for a small frown.
A girl? The boy must be trying something.
Gladiator quickened his pace, hearing the sounds of a crowd a he stepped outside. The Guild Master clenched his hands but still couldn’t keep from fidgeting. The two quickly came upon a crowd of apprentices, in awe and shock. Gladiator towered over the apprentices and he focused his eyes on the melee ring ahead.
The boy...
The hero watched as Evange and a girl sparred, amazed as Evange occasionally laughed and teased the girl.
“Surely you’re quicker than that?”
The girl swung at Evange’s face, Gladiator’s eyes widened as he saw Evange step into the blow.
He could have avoided that easily. What’s he playing at?
Gladiator gently pushed apprentices to the side as he made his way to the fence of the melee ring. He stood for a few moments at the fence, unnoticed by Evange or the girl. Then, the girl managed to push Evange back against the fence, his back hitting the wood. Gladiator brought his hands down on Evange’s shoulders, reflexively trying to steady the boy.
Evange looked up, his smirk quickly turning sour. He pushed himself away from Gladiator’s hands. Leah stood back, uncertain of the situation.
Father and son looked at each other, Evange glaring before turning on his heel and storming out of the ring. Leah hesitated, unsure which would be safer, an upset Reaper or a stranger.
She choose the Guild Master. He, at least, didn’t look like he could do her much harm. Plus, how else was she going to get a room if not from him?

~~~

Light rain fell to the ground, mixing with dark pools of fresh blood. A low buzzing emanated from various places among the trees, wasps that had been lured by the clear smell of death. Their buzzing drowned out the gentle music wafting from the temple nearby. It’s white walls sprayed with the blood of it’s devotees.
The remains of these followers lay spread across the clearing. Some still had semi recognizable faces. Others were wiped of identity, becoming one with the bloody pulp that lay about. Entrails were scattered everywhere, some hanging from trees or from the roof of the temple. Others were flattened underfoot.
It had been a day that was dedicated to the worship of Avo, the god of the temple. Men, women and children from all over Albion had come to worship. They prayed for good health, long life and wealth. Skorm must have been listening, instead.
A dark figure had stepped into their clearing, clothing already splashed in the blood of various traders, balverines and bandits. Few looked at him, some welcomed him with smiles and waves some turned their heads in disgust.
Tremors had ran up and down the boy, his mind falling into darkness as he looked at the people. Ready for him to reap.
When all was done, only one was left to tell the tale. He stood amidst the pain, slowly calming himself. His craze had passed and he was left unharmed.
A girl, her body nearly cleaved in half, reached out to Reaper with the last of her life. She wanted to live. Reaper knelt down, lifting the girl’s face up, wiping the blood of her parents away. He placed his lips to her forehead, she trembled once. Evange let the girl fall back to the ground, life leaving her body.
Reaper looked to what had been the girl. His expression unmoving.
Finally, he stood and brushed his pants off. He set off to the river nearby, eager to wash the blood away.
People would fear passing by Avo’s Temple, now. They would not be eager to see the scene of such a tragedy. They would whisper of Skorm being jealous of Avo’s worship, and killing Avo’s loyal followers.
But that was far from the truth. Reaper was far worse then Skorm could ever hope to be.

~~~

Gladiator stood by the fence for a while after everyone left, frozen by Evange’s parting glare. His hands gripped the wood of the fence, a faint crack as a gash ran up the board. The hero let go and began to walk back into the guild.
The apprentices has gone back to training, avoiding Gladiator’s eyes. They were embarrassed to have witnessed the scene.
Gladiator made it to the map room, the Guild Master was just coming from the upstairs dorms. The men nodded to each other before looking away. Gladiator was about to walk out the doors, go home and think but he stopped and looked back at the map table. He turned back around and wrote down a brief quest, placing it on the table and walking out.
The Guild Master couldn’t help but sneak a peek, he saw the card had been left for Evange. But below the title, Reaper, was written ‘blonde fighting girl’ in block letters.
But why would he want to send that girl along? She’s no where near ready to fight for her life!

~~~

Leah opened her eyes slowly, it was still dark out, her room mates were sleeping quietly, except for someone snoring. She rubbed her eyes and sat up, looking around. The moon was still showing it’s glowing face, the stars boasting their own light.
Why did I wake up?
She could vaguely remember something in her recent dream that wouldn’t let her sleep. Some kind of noise or feeling.
Leah wrapped the blanket around herself and walked out of the dorm room. She found her way to the stairs, bumping into almost everything along the way. Leah made quick work of the stairs and was relieved when she saw no one around.
This could be my chance to get a weapon and run.
Leah hugged the blanket to herself, before padding down through the hallways. She looked in the rooms, mostly finding nothing. The girl couldn’t find the storage room of weapons despite all her wandering.
“Wait...I’ve passed this room already!” Leah was careful to keep her voice down, wanting to avoid attention. But she couldn’t help getting frustrated.
“It’s like they built it so you couldn’t find your way!”
“That’s because they did.”
Leah froze, a shiver running up her back as she turned her head. She couldn’t make out anything but a shadow. She wanted to ask who it was, to make some sound to break the silence, but he beat her to it.
“What are you doing? Shouldn’t you be asleep or were you making your rounds?”
Leah knew there was supposed to be some sort of insult but she couldn’t quite catch it.
“I woke up.”
“Is that all?”
“Y-yes.”
Leah stepped back as she saw Reaper step into the light of a lamp mounted on the wall. She was slightly relieved it was only him, but also wondered at why he was up so late. Reaper brushed a hair from his face, Leah caught sight of a dark shadow on his forehead.
Before the girl could determine what it was, Reaper had walked past her and into the dark hallway.
Leah looked after him for a moment, confused by the boy’s sudden appearance and disappearance. Especially after what had happened when he was testing her in the melee ring. She was curious about the connection between Reaper and Gladiator. She had later found out the stranger at the ring had been Gladiator through the apprentices’ before bed gossip.
I wonder what he was doing all this time?
Leah gathered her blanket and wandered back upstairs, falling into an uneasy sleep.

~~~

“Wake up...”
Leah rolled over, trying to block out the light taps on her head and the calm voice. She tried to swat the hands away, but ended up with her hand getting caught. Leah tried to pull away, but the hands tugged her out of bed, Leah basically falling to the floor with her eyes still closed. She rubbed her eyes and looked up.
It’s him again.
Reaper stood before her, his dark robes replaced with black armor. His face was blank as he looked down at Leah, her hand still in his. Reaper quickly pulled her up, dropping her hand as soon as she was standing.
“Your armor and weapons are over there. Try to hurry.”
Then Leah was alone in the dorms. She found that there was a chest at the foot of her bed, something that hadn’t been there yesterday. She opened it to find leather armor, a yew bow and an iron long sword.
After donning the armor and fastening the bow and sword to her back, Leah made her way down to the map room.
The Guild Master fidgeted as he talked to Evange.
“Gladiator, uh, left the, um, card...I didn’t, uh, um, have any control over-.”
Reaper looked at Leah and quickly grabbed the card from the table and started to walk out. Leah stopped by the Guild Master but he only shooed her along after Reaper.
“Hurry, he, um, won’t wait long!”
Leah nodded and followed Reaper out into the cold streets of Hook Coast. She let herself catch a few falling snowflakes in her hands. Reaper was occupied with the quest card in his hand. He kept looking at Gladiator’s rough writing.
What was he thinking?
Leah matched her stride to Reaper’s, looking at the card, wondering what was so interesting about it.
“Why do you keep looking at that?”
Reaper looked up from it, remembering that Leah had been walking near him the whole time. He shrugged, embarrassed that he had forgotten, and handed her the card as casually as he could.
Leah grabbed the card and looked at it, couldn’t make sense of the back, and flipped it to the front.
A nest of wasps down at Oakvale...50 gold...
“What is this?”
“A quest card. People leave them at the guild so they can get help with their problems.”
“Oh. So why do you have this?”
Reaper smirked, “You’re not too bright.”
Leah frowned, “Grr...”
Reaper’s smirk widened as he saw Leah get upset.
“What’s the matter, surely you’re not offended? After all, you’ve been told that since you were born, right?”
Leah turned her head away, trying to ignore Reaper. He kept going for a few minutes, each insult a personal injury to Leah.
How long is he gonna keep going? That’s it...I can’t stand it anymore...
Reaper finally changed the subject, “Just a little ways more and we’ll be at the Cullis Ga-.”
The sound of flesh on flesh echoed on the street, Reaper’s cheek turning red under Leah’s hand. Reaper looked back at Leah with surprise, their cloudy breaths mingling together in the cold air. After a few moments, Leah dropped her hand from Reaper’s face and started towards the Cullis Gate without him.
So violent.
Evange smiled, rubbed his cheek and follow Leah up the snow covered steps to the Cullis gate. Evange watched as Leah stepped onto the Cullis Gate, confused on what to do. He smirked.
So clueless.
Reaper stepped onto the ring beside Leah, smirking as she tried to edge away from while staying in the small center.
“Shall we start our first quest, partner?”
Leah frowned but nodded her head. Reaper sobered his expression and thought of Oakvale. Soon, the duo were whirled away from the icy landscape in a burst of blue light.
Gladiator watched from the top of the lighthouse.
I hope those two can do this quest without killing each other.
The man turned and descended the stairs, putting thoughts of Evange and the girl to the side as he thought of what dinner Elisa would bring him.
I hope it’s stew. She makes absolutely delicious stew.

~~~

I really appreciate everyone who reviewed! You all make me happy.
Of course, I really love any type of criticism. It makes me want to improve.
Oh, I’d like to thank my friend, who happens to be the model for Leah. She’s been helping me write this. I don’t think it would’ve turned out as well as it did if she wasn’t there proofing it for me. So...thankies to you, Chicknaddctd. (Lolz, she didn’t want me to use her real name.)
Okay, as is customary...
...Evange continues to rock!