Other Fan Fiction ❯ Black Roses ❯ Jerk ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Leah took a few steps from the Cullis Gate, holding a hand to her mouth. Her steps were shaky.
I’m gonna be sick.
Evange casually stepped off, eyeing Leah but not moving to help her. He drew his bow slowly as he heard a faint buzzing. A villager ran past the two, screaming as a lone bee followed him.
Evange sighed and raised his hand towards the wasp. A small spark of lightening flew at the insect, engulfing the small body as it fell to the ground. Evange brought his foot down on it as it buzzed painfully.
“That was a wasp?”
Evange didn’t look at Leah, choosing to walk down the main road. He swung his bow in his hands, his face blank. Leah frowned and ran to catch up with him. She reached to her back, bringing out a basic iron sword.
“You’re holding it wrong.”
“It’s not like I’ve been trained. Just leave me alone.”
Evange kept his mouth shut, looking out to the sea that had come into view. He heard more screams and buzzing from the barn area. A sigh passed through his lips before he turned and started to make his way to the screams.
Leah followed, confused at Reaper’s silence. She looked at him from beneath her bangs, frowning as she tried to figure the boy out.
“Pay attention to the quest, not me. There’ll be plenty of time to look at me afterwards.” Evange’s face remained blank, despite his playful tone.
Leah let out a low growl and glared at a tree to her right.
Why is he always like that? He’s so stupid! Grr...
“Save us! Avo save us!”
Leah looked from the tree to some villagers scurrying under the wasp’s stingers. She raised her sword, not caring about how she held it and began to run into the fight. Reaper stuck his bow out, stopping the girl as she tried to go past him. His eyes were unfocused and he licked his lips as he looked at the scene.
“What are you doing?! We have to save them!”
Reaper brought his other hand out, blue electricity circling it. It took a moment for Leah to figure something out, her eyes widening as she saw Reaper smile in a sickly manner.
“Hey! If you try that all those people are gonna get zapped, too! You can’t!”
Reaper paid the girl no mind, caught in a strange trance. Leah cried out and dropped her sword, pushing past Reaper’s bow, and ramming into Reaper’s side, trying to unbalance him.
What’s wrong with this idiot, now?
Reaper was pushed to the side, losing balance for a moment but catching himself. Leah fell to the side, tripping over Evange’s boots. She brought her arms out as she hit the ground, getting up as soon as she could, trying to see if Reaper was back to normal. When the girl looked up to him, Reaper had nocked several arrows and was aiming at the nearest wasps.
“Lay low.”
Leah had a second to duck her head as the arrows flew above her, most hitting their marks. Before she could lift herself to help, Reaper had shot off several more arrows, ridding the clearing of the last few wasps.
The villagers bowed to the ground, yelling praises to Avo for sending their saviors. Leah glanced at them.
They don’t realize he wanted to kill them...
“We should leave.”
“What about the gold?”
“They’ll send it to the Guild.”
Leah got up, following Reaper from a safe distance. She was still unsure of what had just happened and she didn’t want to risk being killed.
Evange kept a blank face while a war raged inside him. He was ashamed he had let himself go so quickly. Usually he could get the quest done before sinking into a craze. Evange didn’t want to consider Leah as a factor for letting go so quickly. He didn’t want to think she was such a big distraction. He wanted to think he was in control of himself.
A woman can never control me.
Evange let himself sag a bit, the salt of the sea hitting him. He breathed in the scent, calming himself. Leah noticed Evange let out a bit of emotion as they passed the sea, she frowned and gathered her courage.
“You want to go down to the beach? It would help you-.”
Evange had tensed and began to walk faster, Leah frowned but tried to match the boy’s pace.
“Hey, I was trying to be nice.”
“Trying would be the key.”
Leah frowned, glaring at Reaper’s back as she fell in behind him.
Jerk.

~~~

Someone snored before turning over, their sheets falling to floor. A thin shaft of moonlight slid through a high window, illuminating a small patch of floor. Leah padded around the light, careful to remain silent and unseen. She held her sword close to her, trying to avoid hitting anything in the dark.
If I can just get to Kuyo...
The girl froze as a soft tapping sounded from far above. As she began to turn her head, a small bundle of feathers fell to the ground, landed with a sickening plop. Leah jumped away from it, accidently letting go of her sword. It fell to the ground, metal ringing on the wooden floors.
Almost instantly, some students shot up in their beds, bleary eyed. Leah backed away, desperately trying not to draw attention to herself. One student managed to wake himself enough to get out of bed and look around the room for what had caused the noise.
Leah backed away into a table, causing the books stacked on it to fall to the ground. She winced as the student looked at her.
“Oh, it’s the new girl. You know, we don’t all have freaky habits of getting up in the middle of the night to break stuff. Go to bed or get out. Avo help us.” The boy threw his hands up before heading back to his bed.
The other students followed his example, muttering sleepy insults before falling asleep. No one had noticed the dead bird.
So much for that plan. But... Leah looked up. Was it just a coincidence that the bird managed to fall-
Leah stopped her train of thought as she realized something. Birds could fly. The bird had to have been dead already, or at least injured, to have just fallen.
Then, how did it die?
Leah sighed, shook her head and picked up her sword. She knew she could just run now. But she didn’t have the energy to try. She was beginning to care less about killing this Evange person.
Maybe I could just forget about it. It’s not like he matters to me.

~~~

Evange laid his bow down next to him, stretching himself out over the gently sloping roof.
I’m watching you, girl. Don’t forget that.
Evange had thought ahead, wearing thick fur robes to keep himself warm during the night. He didn’t sleep very much, and preferred to prowl.
He closed his eyes for a moment, just to relax. When he opened them again, the sun was already high in the sky. Evange sat up, rubbing his head as he looked around.
“I guess I fell asleep.”

~~~

Kuyo tried to see through the curtain of blinding white snow, staying low to the ground. He saw a blur of pale color to his right, turning his head too late. Kuyo hissed in pain as a sickle flashed in the light before imbedding itself in his foreleg. Hot blood fell to the ground, a bold crimson against the white snow.
The dragon tried to dig the sickle out of his leg, realizing his mistake of ignoring the immediate danger. A person jumped behind Kuyo, grabbing a sword and thrusting it between his scales. A roar filled the air, Kuyo turning and knocking the offender away.
A dozen more people showed themselves, their faces hidden behind high collars. Kuyo swayed to the side, his wounded leg crumpling underneath him.
What’s happening? Why is everything so slow?
The people advanced, Kuyo tried to snap at them but found that he was moving too slow. Things were quickly getting blurry and everything was fading.
Did they poison me or put a spell on me? Why are they doing this?
Kuyo barely felt the cold hands of his attackers as they lifted him without effort. He couldn’t get his limbs moving and his mind was slowing, as well.
Girl... I guess you’ll have to make due without me. I’m sorry...
Kuyo let out a quiet hiss before succumbing to his personal darkness.
One of the white clad figures produced a small object from a sack they were carrying. The object glowed briefly, surrounding the people and Kuyo with a dim light before they disappeared.
“Avo save us.”
Elisa clasped a hand over her mouth, eyes wide. The girl was crouching on the ground, her basket of food forgotten and upturned.
Elisa had been carrying food home for dinner, a walk she made very day. However, today she had chosen to take a longer route, passing by a pretty little patch of ice. Elisa liked to look at the ice and imagine her future children skating and playing on it.
But as she walked home, she had witnessed Kuyo’s abduction. She had dropped her food and her legs were suddenly too weak to support her. Elisa had been paralyzed at first, but quickly started praying to Avo that she wouldn’t be noticed.
The girl had never heard of such a thing happening, she has been born into an era of peace. She had never picked up a book detailing battles or dragons. Now, she was suddenly thrust into a foreign nightmare.
The girl eventually got up, stumbling backwards, away from the scene.
I have to let Gladiator know. He’ll know what to do.
Elisa turned around, ready to run to Gladiator and spill her story to him but slammed into someone. She fell to the ground, terrified of who she might have run into to. Elisa inched her eyes up, sucking in a breath as she realized who it was.
No...
The girl cowered as she looked up. Waiting for the blow that she felt sure would end her short life.

~~~

A li’l smidgen of a cliff hanger.
Once again, I must credit the ‘pwnsome-ness’ (as she puts its) of this chapter to my proof reader.
Thankies to all who read this story and leave me comments. I really appreciate them! :D
As is custom...
...Evange pwns!