Other Fan Fiction ❯ Edna and Harvey: The Breakout~A POV Story ❯ The Patients and Marcel's Secret ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 5: (The Patients and Marcel's Secret)

***Aluman's POV***

I've secretly watched the newcomer with her stuffed animal walking about, going in and out of different rooms. It looked as if she needed to escape.

It was a few moments later that I had watched her briefly and sighing over the one called Droggeljug, whom guards the pillow fort where King Adrian was. It seemed, as I thought, that she might be the key to assisting me.

Finally, she approached me and said, "Hello?"

I calmly looked back, still holding the hangar with number on my hand, saying, "Hello, young lady and friends of hers. Wait, stay there!"

I glanced at her as I looked cautiously at both her and her stuffed rabbit, speaking, "There's no doubt! You're different from the others. Your aura is highly energenic! Who are you? Where do you come from?"

"I'm Brachna. I've come from the 3rd Zynnobre of the Ug'hul." she spoke.

"I happen to know that. Brachna is in bed with a fever. Why do you lie to me? Who are you, really?"

"I'm Edna," she said truthfully, It's not important where I come from. The important thing is, I want to get out of here.

"Yes, your impulse for freedom is very strong. Your chi doesn't only flow: it gushes. You have been reprimanded far too often. You have been hindered far too long. The levies are about to break. The volcano is about to erupt."

"Wow! Those are good guesses." she spoke in amazement, "Who are you?"

"My name ceased to be of importance long ago. The moment I inherited the wisdom of the cosmos, I decided to abandon all ties to my former existence. I am known as "The Aluman" now."

"Wow, you loonies love to refer to yourselves only by your characteristics, don't you?"

"It's just easier to memorize." I shrugged to her.

Aluman: Even us loonies get the papers sometimes, you know.

"What is it exactly that you're doing here?" she asked curiously.

"I'm checking the flow of the chi for holes." I explained.

"Why are you doing that?"

"Well, somebody has to do it. You can't just walk about with holes in your chi now, can you? The whole yin might be flooded by yang and you can kiss the feng shui goodbye."

"Why are you dressed that way?" she spoke, looking at what I had worn.

"The aluminum enhances my astral conductivity. This way, I'm always in touch the essential."

"And the "A" on your chest?"

"That is not an "A". It is the earth rune. It connects me with Gaia, the Earth Goddess."

"And the diving goggles?"

"It protects me from chlorine. What did you think?"

I glanced at the girl looking back at the castle, holding her stuffed rabbit before asking, "So who lives in the cushion castle?"

"That would be King Adrian." I explained, "Quite an interesting case. He got struck by lightning and developed certain "abilities" after that. In fact, his case supports some of my theories."

"What exactly are those theories?"

"I have developed a couple of theories regarding Adrian's case. After lightning struck him, he suddenly had psychic abilities. I don't know exactly how to name my theory. I'm considering: "Psychokenetic Conductivity through Electrical Currents". "Electrostatic Psi-Extension". "High Voltage Precognition". Or just "Fortune doesn't always favor fools"."

"What abilities are those?"

"He sees things before they happen." I frowned a bit.

"Wow!" she spoke with amazement, "No wonder he's your king. He must be powerful then."

I simply nodded, "Indeed he is. He always wins Chinese Checkers that way."

"Yeah, yeah! But in addition to that..."

"And at Scrabble."

"But the possibilities!"

"You said it. The recreation room is full of boardgames. And Adrian wins them all. He even won the jigsaw puzzle contest. The prize was a medal of real gold."

She looked back at the pillow fort, then to me before asking, "Why do you call him "King"?"

I sighed, remembering and recalling what had happened. It happened months ago, and it had been like this since, much to my frustration.

"Well, there was the wager in a game of "Yahtzee"." I told her, "We were naive enough to think we could beat him. Beeman had worked out a strategy. The Ticket Inspector developed a failsafe system. Professor Nock supplied us with the medication. He had scraped together everything he could get his hands on for one whole year just for the occasion. Petra even designed a special choreography for us to follow. Alas, it was to no avail."

I finally shrugged, continuing, "Well, we could've done worse. Imagine if Petra had won! Pilates every morning."

"So your coat hanger tells you all that?"

"Why, no! It serves as an aerial to pick up cosmic oscillations. Plus I'm keeping it handy just in case. An aluminum suit is very prone to wrinkling, you know."

"Can I have the coat hanger?"

I glanced at the hanger, continuing, "Normally, I despise the concept of material possessions, but the coat hanger is essential to me, I'm afraid. For one thing, it is my aerial that connects me ot the ethereal realm. I'm also keeping it handy just in case. An aluminum suit is very prone to wrinkling, you know."

Finally, she looked around, speaking, "I have to get a move on."

"Take care of your karma." I spoke as she left the room.

Something told me that today might be the day for my own karma to hit.

***Beeman's POV***

I had just finished with creating some artwork before I sat down, waiting patiently for lunch to come. It was pretty quiet since I was the only one whom was doing arts and crafts at the time. However, I feel as though something was amiss.

Then, in came a girl wearing a gown similar to Petra holding a stuffed rabbit. This was probably the newest patient, I thought as she approached me.

"Hello, Beeman." she said to me.

"Hello, stranger woman." I spoke.

"You can call me Rebecca, the Relentless Revenger from Reno."

"As you wish..."Rebecca"."

"Actually, the name is Edna."

We both shook hands as I spoke, "Please to meet you, Edna."

At that moment, I glanced at the blue rabbit she held by the ears, pointing to it as I asked, "Who's your little friend?"

I may probably have needed new glasses, but I could have sworn that this rabbit was smiling back and waving to me.

"That's Harvey." she said, showing him to me, "He's helping me escape."

"Hi, Harvey." I spoke to it, pretending as if it was alive.

"Cool getup, buddy." I thought I heard it speak.

She looked curious to me before asking, "Why are you wearing a bee suit?"

I sighed, sincerely telling her, "To show solidarity with other men in bee suits. To open the world market for the insectoid garment. As conceptual performance satire. To boycott the fashion industry. And finally, to express my admiration for those hardworking honey collectors."

After a brief moment of silence, Edna only said to me, "Admit it! You lost a wager."

"I lost a wager." I sighed a bit.

Curiously, she asked me, "Why do you have such big ears?"

"All the better to eat you with. And as a valve for my exceptionally high output of earwax, I'm afraid."

"Exceptionally high output of earwax?!" she spoke with a bit of shock, "Yuck!"

"Yes, it is no picnic."

"I don't think it should be used in the same context as "picnic" at all."

"This overproduction is some kind of allergic reaction with me. I'm allergic to hot beverages." I sighed, "I could still use a good cup of coffee right now."

"Why are you locked up here?" she asked me, "You seem to be wise and balanced."

"I have a theory. I think it has something to do with my clothes. Men in bee suits have a bad reputation."

"Where do you think the bad reputation of the bee-look stems from?"

"There's no question about that. The media. Men in bee suits are generally represented as a laughingstock. And the main culprit: Children's animated films! Animation movie authors are basically mounting a campaign against us. The Mexican in The Simpsons. Charlie Brown in Peanuts. Or Bumblebee in Transformers."

I'd go on with what else, but if I had, I would have gotten less calm and more angry.

"The fact of the matter is that men in bee suits are the clowns of the media."

Finally, the girl I was talking to looked at the door leading to the bar, speaking, "I'll be going then."

"Go ahead." I told her before she left.

She looked like a nice woman. The rabbit, however, something about him wasn't quite right about it, but I couldn't place what.

After a short while, I saw her coming back to me with something nice to drink.

"Here," she said, "I've brought you a cup of coffee."

"How considerate of you," I politely said to her.

She seemed like a nice girl after all.

I drank my cup, then started wincing a bit before some of my ear wax from the ears started pouring out. I finally gave her the cup as she took it. But before she left, she took the safety scissors as well.

What would she do with those anyway? And what was it that was going on in the bar?

***Peter's POV***

I started sulking in the bar. Today was my birthday, just another year older and another year to eventually die. Things weren't going my way anyway.

I then heard someone come in before being scolded by the bartender. I guess it was a newcomer or something.

"One drink please." I heard her say.

"I'll be with you in a minute!" he spoke before pointing to me still drinking, "I'm still serving this gentleman here."

The girl whom held her rabbit looked at me before protesting, "But he already has a drink!"

"Don't tell me my job!" he snapped.

Finally, she turned to me as I continued to drink, "Hey you?"

I only continued drinking with a sigh.

"Is there something wrong with you?" she asked me.

I sighed sadly, speaking to her, "Something wrong doesn't even begin to describe it. It's my 40th birthday today. Yet one more year, one more decade on the odometer. My life can't get much worse."

"You have a bipolar disorder, right?" she asked me.

"The Doc calls it that, yeah."

"And what do you call it?"

"I call it "Peter"."

She pondered before speaking, "I could try to cheer you up a little."

"You might as well try. I don't see how that could make things worse."

She cleared her throat, explaining to me, "Your problems are completely irrelevant in a cosmological context. To be more precise, YOU are irrelevant from a cosmological standpoint. I mean, what good does your existence do to anybody? And who will care when you don't exist anymore? Have you ever done anything that will leave a lasting effect? What is there that will last, anyway? Nothing! Even the pyramids will crumble and fall eventually. In the end, all is futile. And all you ever struggle for, poof, just hot air! What I'm trying to say is...errrm...well, what exactly?"

I sighed, turning to her as I explained, "You wanted to cheer me up."

"Oh yeah, right." she spoke before sighing, "I give up. You're simply too hard a nut to crack."

"Thanks for your help," I dryly spoke to her.

"Don't mention it. I better leave ya alone in your despair."

"Right. Why should anyone wanna keep me company?"

"You're right. I don't know either." she spoke before she left the room to do whatever business she had.

I only continued to sigh and groan. I mean what was the point? I would just be another day closer to dying.

And besides, aside Petra perhaps, no one gives a flip about me.

After a while, I noticed some sort of dip placed near me. I glanced, noticing the same girl from before smirking a bit. What was she up to anyway?

"I've got something for you. This will get you back on your feet in no time." she spoke.

"I doubt that." I told her.

I was given some of the dip before I began sipping on it. It didn't taste too bad, I guess.

Just then, my eyes widened before I realized: I needed to use the bathroom.

Quickly, I darted out of the room, leaving the area. I don't know what it was, but there was really something wrong with that dip made of beans.

***Petra's POV***

I stayed down in the dark bathroom, filled with party items. I giggled at the thought of that dreamy Peter arriving. After all, I did have a crush on him.

Just then, the lights went on before I hopped out, shouting, "SURPRIIIIIIISE!!"

"Whoops", the actual person, instead of Peter, spoke.

I looked at her, noticing the girl to be purple haired and wearing a gown similar to mine, except barefoot. However, she did have a very cute bunny toy with her, so she seemed all right.

"Well...who are you?" she asked me.

"I'm Petra. Gimme a P!" I shouted, waiting for a moment before shrugging, "Or...you know what? You can keep the "P"."

"What are you doing here?" she asked me.

"What does it look like? I'm throwing a surprise party!"

"Where are the other guests?"

I scoffed, telling her, "He-lloo-oo!! It's a sur-pri-se-par-ty! What kind of surprise would it be if everyone knew about it?"

She smiled with a grin, "You didn't have to do that."

"The party is not for you. Today is the birthday of...Peter!"

I began to sigh lovingly a bit. He may be a downer, but he needed someone like me and my party would be the thing to cheer him up.

"Ooooh...But please don't tell him the party is here. It's supposed to be a surprise." I explained to her.

"We'll see about that."

"You have to promise you won't tell him!"

"Okay."

"Promise?"

"All right, we promise."

"Swear it!"

"I swear."

"Cross your heart!"

"Okay, okay, okay."

"Cross your heart and hope to die!"

Finally, she shouted, "I SWEAR IT, OKAY!?"

After a moment, I smiled, "Okay, I'll take your word for it."

She glanced around the area, asking, "Interesting choice of venue."

"What do you mean?"

"Don't you think more people would come if it wasn't in the bathroom of all places?"

"I don't know." I shrugged, "It IS a surprise party after all. And what could possibly be more surprising?"

""Surprising" doesn't do it justice. "Apalling" or "absurd". THAT'S more like it." she told me.

I glanced at her, looking seriously, "Oh yeah? So where would you have thrown the party?"

"The bar?"

"That's out of the question. Peter has been sitting there all day long, crying into his drink. And it's SUPPOSE to be a surprise party. He's a little touchy when it comes to his age. I hope the party can cheer him up a little."

"The break room?"

"Huh? No! We never go in there anymore. 3 people vanished there once. They were actors...I think they were auditioning for a play. They were never seen again."

"How about the TV room?"

"NOOOOO!! I loathe parties where everyone just hangs around in front of the tube."

"The recreation room?"

"That was my first thought, too. But King Adrian was opposed."

""King" Adrian?" she asked me in confusion.

"He rules the lounge. HE is a wise and just king. And rumor has it that he is psychic. He rarely receives visitors though, I'm afraid. His right hand man, Drogglejug, is as tough as he is attractive."

She sighed, saying, "Any room would have been better!"

I only grinned, "I like it here."

"Keep on celebrating." the girl told me.

"Oh I will. Oh yeah, and turn the lights off on your way out." I asked her.

"We'll see." she said, taking the bean dip nearby along with a bag of chip, leaving the room as she turned off the lights.

Finally, I ducked down once more, waiting for the right moment. Just after a few minutes, in came Peter, rushing passed me and going in one of the stalls.

I guess something was happening to him, I thought, as he finished. Afterward, I shouted "Surprise" to Peter before we both sat down with me sighing.

Afterward, we both stayed together. At least then, Peter would at least cheer up around me.

***Edna's POV***

I went around the entire recreation room after speaking with Aluman, learning about King Adrian. And for a good while, I decided to take care of a few tasks.

But that was only mostly because I learned from the ticket master that I had to get one of the so-called tickets aka number hangars in order to ride the shaft. I mean it never said anything about giving people a ride, though. So that was when I decided to do these tasks.

One of them was helping cheer Peter up, which didn't help 'til I used the bean dip from the bathroom Petra had. Then, I tried out the Stinky Drink, which kind of made me dizzy and Harvey worried. Heh, I guess I shouldn't have worried him like that.

Another was helping Professor Nock on the dinosaurs, getting a phone back from a broker guy Bruce I guess his name was, getting some waxy fossil for Nock, and finally gain the hangar I needed for Aluman.

I had arrived to the man before I showed him the hangar, telling him, "Excuse us, please."

"Yes, my child?" he glanced at me.

"Do you really need THIS coat hangar for your weather experiment? I've got one here that's at least as good."

I showed him the number 3 hangar as he took it.

"Aha. And now you'd like to swap?" he asked.

"That would be nifty."

"Well, if it makes you happy..."

The two hangars were switched as I smiled, knowing we were going in the right direction.

"Thank you." I told him with a sincere smile, "You're a real friend."

Finally, I departed the area, heading off to the elevator shaft. At least it will help me get to where I was going.

***Key Master's POV***

I sat down in the padded room where a reflection was staring at me. However, I knew that someone would eventually slowly start talking to me. After all, I'm locked in here for a reason.

I was mad, insane, even unhinged, but there was nothing to make me insane. And yes, I believe this is what it should be.

All of a sudden, I heard a female's voice speaking, "What do you think, Harvey? Shall I press it?"

"I'd like to see that." The malish voice was heard speaking.

"I'm gonna do it."

"Go ahead. Be my guest!"

"I'll do it! I'll really do it!"

"You don't have the guts!"

"I'm serious!"

"Chicken! Chicken!"

Finally, I heard a button pressed as the voice spoke in shock, "Edna!"

After a few moments, nothing happened.

"What now?" the female I heard asked.

"It doesn't seem to have had any effect." the male replied.

After a few moments, I looked up. There, I saw a girl with purple hair carrying a stuffed rabbit. It would seem that, perhaps by subconscious or something, I was ALSO able to hear this rabbit talk. And perhaps they would be the ones to get me out.

It was then that I realized: The girl was Edna and her rabbit was the creature she never let go of...Harvey.

I got off of my chair, looking at them before walking closer to them, speaking, "Hello, Princess. What's a girl like you doing in an asylum like this?"

I paused before speaking, "Wait, don't tell me. You're Edna."

"Hey, how do you know that?" she asked in surprise.

"There isn't much that Dr. Marcel can hide from me. That he's keeping you locked up in the tower, for example." I explained to her. "So, we seem to be fellow prisoners. By the way, people call me the Key Master. Isn't that the cutest nickname?"

I looked, noticing the expression on the rabbit's face looking untrusting to me. As if he feels that I would lead Edna to something dangerous. And he might be right.

"What else do you know about me?" she asked eagerly.

"Just that a dark secret links you to the Doctor. An unspeakable, dark secret. He spends much time and energy trying to erase your memory. One could even say it is a personal crusade. And the fact that you always find a way to remember drives him to great irritation."

"Do you know how we can get out of here?" she asked.

"Yes." I told her.

Stunned, she said, "What?!"

"Yes. I know how you can get out of here. I've had plenty of time to figure out an escape plan. Only problem is, I can't do anything about it in here. You, on the other hand, can move relatively unrestricted out there. And you ARE clever, unlike most other inmates."

"So, what's your plan?" she asked curiously.

"First, you must find a way to the other side of the bars, then you'll have to make a copy of the master key. We'll be able to get out of the building with that. It opens my cell door, too. Finally, we need a vehicle to exit the compound." I explained, figuring out what the plan was.

With concern, Edna spoke, "Sounds fairly simple, but how do I get to the other side of the grate?"

"You'll find a way. I'm sure. Maybe through the laundry lift system? There is a 3rd exit in the basement, but please don't take any unnecessary risks. If you drop down there without soft padding, you'll break every bone in your body. And that's it for my plan."

"How very considerate. Thank you. Now how do I get a copy of the master key?"

"You'll have to find the original first, then you'll need clay for the imprint, a furnace to bake the clay, and an easily melted metal to cast the copy. Gold would be perfect."

"Where can I find the master key?"

"That's easy: The guard they call Bladder has it. Bladder is on monitor watch duty in the control room on the 3rd floor. He's far from being watchful, but when it comes to keys, he's a real bulldog. Maybe you can distract him with something."

"Where do I get gold?"

I began pondering, "Hmmm. Tricky, that. Doctor Marcel keeps his polo trophies too securely to get at them. The only alternative I see is Adrian's medal from the jigsaw contest. However, Adrian is sitting in his cushion fort in the lounge like Lord Muck. And he guards himself with this playboy whatshisname?"

With a sigh, Edna smiled, "Drogglejug..."

She sighed a bit while yearning. She was a bit of a romance apparently.

Quickly, I said to her, "Okay, okay, it's all right. As stupid as Adrian might be, he has a pretty impressive mind reading act. It might prove difficult to get the medal from him, even if you manage to get past Drogglejug."

"Where can I find clay?"

"Good question." I spoke, "The clay from occupational therapy has been completely pounded into ugly ashtrays. You can't use that anymore, but maybe it will help you to know that this asylum has been built on a pretty clay-packed layer of earth."

"How do I get a vehicle?"

"Everything in its time, but we're not there by a long shot yet."

After a moment, she nodded, "I think we know what I have to do now."

"Good luck, Edna." I said to her, "Is there anything else you'd like to know?"

She looked curiously at me, asking, "Why are you in solitary?"

"They think I'm dangerous. And they're probably right. That's all you need to know."

"Is there anything else you know about Doctor Marcel?"

Seriously, I looked at her, "He is a sick man. Guided by hate. Ever since the death of his son, he has been bitter and escentric. Locks himself up in his secret room, and performs these sadistic electric shock treatments on his patients. A dark secret links you to the Doctor, Edna. He's obsessed with the idea of erasing your memory. Is that enough information?"

She nodded before telling me, "I've got to go."

As I watched her and the rabbit, as if pointing with hateful glare to me, departed, I spoke to her, "Give my regards to Lady Liberty."

I have a feeling that she might be the gate keeper that I needed to be set free once more...if done correctly.

***Harvey's POV***

We left the room holding the Key Master. There was actually something about him that made me cringe with hate to him, even if he WAS helping us. As if I was jealous or something.

We entered a room full of beds, finding two boys, both different colors, sharing the same sweater.

I didn't listen to many of the details, but it seemed like they believe they were twins, which was very weird as they were both very different. Maybe they were fracternal and think they're identical or something.

I glanced up, noticing Edna cutting the sweater in two, freeing them. I yawned a bit, feeling the conversations with those two was pretty boring. Heck, I felt like falling asleep at that moment.

After a few moments, the so-called "twins" were gone, leaving a sheet. Edna, using the chips from earlier, quickly messed up the bed. And lucky too, because I got a good feeling that it will help give us a soft landing.

After a while, as Edna was turning on and off lights to different rooms, I saw Edna taking me over the elevator shaft with hangar once more, then we both fell downward at the basement, landing on the sheet, which was the softest thing I ever felt. Oh it felt so good to land on a very comfy sheet.

Edna, as I watched, went around parts of the basement, meeting with some guy named Almo something, whom needed a spoon. Eh, probably for something important. However, Edna needed the clay and needed it it badly, so we were somewhat out of options.

At some point, Edna took care of the rest of the lights, stole silverware with pot, mitts, ketchup and mustard, went back into the doctor's office, and went outside to fix the antenna. Sadly, all the spoons were gone.

Hopefully, this guy with the bladder problem would go to the bathroom soon, I thought.

Finally, we came back to the doctor's office where Edna checked the drawers, saying, "Closed. That makes me angry!"

She took out the knife, realizing, "Yeah! I can reach between the desk and the drawer with this. With any luck..."

She pulled hard before it fully opened.

"Yes!" she shouted with joy, "Success!"

She glanced, speaking, "There's an old key in the drawer! I'll take that. I bet it's important: Dr. Marcel kept it hidden in a locked drawer, after all."

The key was snatched as we made our way down. As we did, Edna looked curious at the room that was next to the locked gate. It had the same shape as of the key.

"Let's see..." she spoke before she used the key at the hole.

We heard it click before the door opened up.

"Wow! That really worked!" she grinned, hugging me tightly.

Finally, both of us entered the room. To our shock, we saw many items, all of which belonged to that kid, Alfred.

But the question was...why would Marcel have so much stuff for Alfred? It doesn't make sense.

Edna looked at the kite, speaking, "Alfred was very clumsy with this kite."

I scoffed a bit, "That little putz was a clumsy oaf, period."

We both then looked at the portrait of the same boy from before surrounded by candlelight: Alfred. It really WAS some sort of weird shrine to him. Was Dr. Marcel trying to find a way to bring Alfred back by any means neccessary?

"I vageuly remember Alfred." Edna began remembering, "He was an extremely obnoxious boob, I'll admit that. But to think that he's dead now..."

She turned away, then sighed sadly, groaning a bit.

I started looking at her. Tears were coming out of her eyes. She started crying for him, but...

"Edna?" I asked before I began to worry, "Edna?"

I began nudging her a bit before she noticed me, asking, "Hmm?"

I looked a bit reluctant, trying to cheer her up as I explained, "The kid was a klutz."

She shedded a tear as she nodded, "I kn-know...oooh."

"He was a jerk." I told her, despite knowing that Alfred wasn't always a jerk 'til he became a jerk.

She sniffed a bit, saying, "I...I know." before looking back, "I couldn't stand him."

"An idiot. A moron!" I began to try to calm her.

"A pimpled ulcer." she said sadly.

"A bag of pus."

"Dumb as a bag of nails."

"Crybaby!"

"Butthead!"

"Goof!"

"Braindead motherfriggin' vomit-munching horse fornicator!"

I gasped in shock at what she said, shouting, "EDNA!"

She hugged me tightly, sniffing, "I miss him."

"I know." I spoke sadly, not wanting to admit that I also missed him too. I mean Alfred use to be nicer before all that.

Finally, my friend glared as she shouted, "Dr. Marcel will pay for this!"

I looked curiously at her, asking, "You think...HE'S got something to do with this?"

She glanced around, showing me the items Alfred use to have, explaining, "Look around you! It's obvious that this guy is insane. I know the recollection of what happened back then must be buried somewhere in my brain. This is exactly why Dr. Marcel is trying to erase my memory! And to think he's got the nerve to accuse my father!"

I looked seriously to her with determination, speaking, "We'll find the missing piece of the puzzle, Edna. I promise."

She looked at the portrait, speaking, "Oh, Alfred. Whatever happened...?"

Just then, as if from my eyes as well, the portrait began speaking in the most annoying voice, saying, "Ha-ha! EDNA! EDNA! EDNA!!"

Both of us blinked with confusion. Most of the time, I would do something like that, but this time...it wasn't me! It wasn't me at all!!

Edna began blinking, starting to glare, "What?! You little swamp-dwelling toad! I'll kill you!"

She paused a bit before realizing, "Ooooh. I mean, I would if you weren't already dead."

We then both looked at the bottle of urn near the portrait as she asked me, "They actually squeezed Alfred into that?"

"Human bodies are 90% water, Edna." I said to her.

"And considering Alfred's head, I'll raise your 90 to 98%."

She then looked at where the Homework Ledger was, glancing as she said to me, "That's Alfred's homework. Alfred was a real nerd! And he never let me copy off of him."

At that moment, she noticed something as she pointed, "What's this scribbled on the edge of the page?"

She looked carefully at it as did I, noticing the familiar name on it.

""Mattis Konrad"? That's my father's name!" she gasped, "But it isn't his handwriting...although somebody has made a great effort to copy it obviously."

At that moment, she noticed the writing familiar, continuing, "Just a second! That's MY handwriting! I don't get it. Why did I sign my father's name on the edge of Alfred's homework?"

She finally turned to me as I finally started realizing that particular memory as she asked, "Harvey, do you know anything about it?"

"Oh yeah. I can remember that day very well." I said to her with a grin, "That was the day I taught you how to forge signatures!"

She then aimed me to the homework, speaking, "Can you remember this, Harvey?"

I looked at the homework, starting to grin, "Yes, indeed I do! You and Alfred had a private lesson with Mr. Hornbush. The lesson was utterly boring."

I sighed a bit, rolling my eyes at that particular assignment. It was some facts that she was never going to use anyway, so I thought the truth was obvious.

"And while Alfred did his best to follow," I continued, "I taught you how to forge signatures."

She looked at me, asking, "Do you think we can go back there so I can learn it again?"

"That should be no problem." I grinned, "Are you ready?"

"Yeah! Tempomorph me to the past!"

I bowed as I held her, "As you wish. Hold on."

Finally, everything began flashing white, as if we really were going back to the past. This time, I would make sure Edna would know this trick, even if it killed me.

(End of Chapter 5)