Other Fan Fiction ❯ Edna and Harvey: The Breakout~A POV Story ❯ Escaping the Asylum ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 8: (Escaping the Asylum)

***Key Master's POV***

It had been a long while since I talked to Edna, but I know that only the morning had passed. I figured that the doctor was coming back around lunchtime.

I had recently been fed some very stale bread. And honestly, I don't like the way they serve it, unlike "Free Choice Day" the other inmates would get.

Just then, to my notice, Edna with her rabbit had returned. It had been a while since I last spoke to them.

"Hello, Princess," I began, "Any progress?"

"You bet," she grinned, holding the master key she had made, "I've got the master key."

"All right, then. Let me out. We can proceed with phase 2 of my plan now."

The girl nodded before going to my door. After a moment, I heard the door unlocking. It had to mean something.

I opened the door when she said, "Whoops." before moving aside, letting me out a bit.

I looked around. For once, I was not locked in my prison. I wasn't sure if it felt like a good thing or a bad thing, but I knew I had to get out for a reason.

"You are free!" she said to me, clinging to her rabbit by the ears.

"Aaaah...that's why the door is open," I spoke calmly with a hint of snarkiness, "Don't get your hopes up too high. The biggest obstacle is still waiting for us."

"I've got the master key." she said eagerly, showing the key.

"Well, I almost suspected as much. The very moment the door opened."

"What are we going to do next?"

"We need a vehicle. We won't get far otherwise."

She looked very eager, speaking, "Boyohboyohboyohboyohboy. A master key, a vehicle...what next? A perpectual motion machine? Or the missing link between man and ape?"

"I have a candidate for the latter."

Finally, she held my hand. I had not felt the warmth of a person's hand in a long time. And Edna was really desperate to get out.

"What are you waiting for? Let's go!" she said, trying to get me fully out of the office.

However, I was concerned, removing my arm as I spoke, "We need a vehicle. I'll wait here until you've dug one up. Preferably one that isn't already occupied."

She frowned a bit, speaking dryly, "Yeah, sure. Just pass the hard labor off to the rank and file."

After a moment, she realized, "I've found a van earlier!"

"Have you now? Good. So the hopes I put in you weren't all for nought."

"It's in the motor pool garage."

"You go right ahead, we'll meet there."

Finally, Edna with her rabbit departed. As soon as they were gone, I snuck out, quickly making my way to the garage and slipping passed the driver that was distracted by the alarm sounding off as I was stepping down. However, when I came to the unoccupied van, I found that the tire was missing and the battery was dead.

Afterward, Edna arrived as she noticed, "Oh, you're already here?"

I nodded, "Yes, I am. This is a pretty nice ride you found here, except not only is a rear wheel missing, the motor won't start. I think it's the wiring, but I'm not an expert."

"So what are we going to do?"

"Good question."

"What are we going to do about the missing rear tire?"

With a small grin, I told her, "I'm pretty confident you'll be able to muster up a spare."

"What are we going to do about the engine trouble?"

"I think it's the ignition." I firmly spoke, "We'll need an expert for that. Somebody who knows his way around electricity."

Finally, she nodded, "I'll get working on that then."

"That's what I would have suggested." I told her, fixing my hair.

Finally, I watched her leave the area. Hopefully, she would find the ones we would need to help in our escape.

***Hotti's POV***

It was just another boring day at lunch. It was Free Choice Day after all. My twin, Motti and I were just eating lunch as usual. However, things were a little different from when we normally ate.

Earlier today, a girl came up to us, asking us information about our origin and us practically siamese twins due to being born at the same time. Or at least that's what I believe. Afterward, though, she used a pair of scissors to split us into two people.

I guess we should've been a bit more grateful, but then again, we ARE brothers and we stick together, no matter what.

Anyhow, we were just eating the lunch we were given, despite it being called "Free Choice Day" when all of a sudden, the two heard a "psst" sound.

We both looked down, noticing Edna and Harvey under the table.

"Hey, pssst!" she began, "What's for lunch?"

"It's "Free choice day" today." I explained, "Everyone's having what they want. Or at least what's been put on the list under their names. The list has been up on the board for a week. I guess I don't have to tell you it's been tampered with. This IS an asylum for the mentally unstable, after all."

"I've got the master key along with the spares Marcel threw out and we're planning to escape. Are you coming, too?" she asked us.

I pondered a bit, then looked at my brother. And honestly, we do need to escape.

"Mmm, okay," I agreed, "but on 2 conditions: first, we're only coming if you have an escape plan ready. Secondly, you'll have to distract the guards somehow."

"Work on escape plan and distract guards, got it." she spoke, "I have an escape plan. Our escape car is in the garage behind the house. The only thing we STILL need is your help changing a tire."

I smiled, "Very good. All you have to do now is distract the guards."

"I'll go hide again." she said to us.

With that, we continued our lunch. After a while, the seconds came, though our food was different. The beeman now had potatoes instead of Adrian, Adrian had mocha pudding instead of potatoes, Professor Nock had the chicken instead of the dumplings with us having the wheat bran dumplings. Peter's food, still remained as Mash.

We continued trying to eat before all of a sudden, food from the Beeman's plate flew up, splashing on to our food.

Afterward, Adrian, noticing, stood up and shouted, "FOOOOD FIIIIGHT!!"

With that, everyone began tossing their food around. The plan was working as it distracted the guards, causing the both of us to make a run for it.

Afterwards, we made it to the garage, not noticed by the guards OR Dr. Marcel as we neared the van that needed the tires.

A few moments later, Edna, arriving with the spare tire, came up and asked, "Are you ready?"

"Sure. Did you get the spare tire?" I asked her.

She gave us the tire with the two of us glancing.

"Hmmm, it's not exactly the right make...but it should do as a makeshift solution." I said to her.

Both of us lifted the van a bit with the tire switched up. Afterward, the van slightly leaned, due to the tire not the right size.

We watched Edna depart, leaving us with the Key Master. And honestly, something doesn't feel right about him...

***Aluman's POV***

I had remained in the TV room, trying to keep the flow of my chi to stay active when Edna had arrived.

"Hello, Alu, ol' champ." she said to me.

"Ah, hello Edna," I said to her, not taking my eyes off the TV screen, "Still trying to break out?"

"Why don't you eat in the cafeteria?" she asked me in confusion.

"They removed the TV from there a long time ago. There was this incident once. A room full of loonies, sharp edged cutlery, and "The Ewoks"...believe me, that is an explosive mix."

"I have the master key. We can skedaddle now."

"Take it easy, children. Have you found out how to get through the main gate yet?"

She pondered a bit before telling me, "We'll build a hot air balloon from styrofoam and just float out of here."

"As if we haven't already tried THAT!" I frowned, "But the air in these mountains is so thin, that the styrofoam doesn't get enough buoyancy. You'll have to think of something less far-fetched."

Afterward, she said to me, "We'll get a vehicle and outwit the watchman at the gate.

"That idea is so crazy...it simply HAS to work. Tell me when you've found a suitable vehicle."

"We have an escape vehicle but we'll need your help."

I nodded, "Yes. Aluman saves the day again. How can I be of help?"

"The motor won't start. It's the ignition. And since you know your way around electricity, I thought-"

"All right, all right. Where did you say the car was?" I asked her.

"It's in the open garage at the motor pool next to the back door."

"Okie dokie." I said to her before departing, "I'll have a look at it then."

Finally, I left the area. As soon as one of the guards was distracted, I ensured that I hurried toward the van.

Long after, I have encountered the Key Master, Hotti, and Motti, whom were waiting. Quickly, I was to make sure the engine was running.

However, when I looked at it, I felt something terribly wrong. It was as if my chi was missing.

With a heavy sigh, I told them I would return with the right amount of chi and headed to the bench, sitting down near the rock garden, meditating and waiting on Edna.

***Edna's POV***

I arrived back to the van. Earlier, I had gathered the Key Master, Hotti, and Motti and I just finished asking for Aluman's help.

However, I noticed something wrong when I came to the van.

"Hey, hasn't Aluman arrived yet?" I asked the Key Master.

"He popped in briefly." the green man began, "He took a quick peek under the hood, then he cried for a short time and off he went again. I believe he's sitting in the gardon now, meditating."

Sighing, I with Harvey went to the garden. Maybe something was wrong with him.

I arrived to the garden, noticing Aluman waiting and fanning himself with his hat. He looked a bit troubled a bit. And I was becoming a bit concern about what was wrong.

For now, I took the rake that was nearby the garden, then asked him, "Hey Alu!"

"Ah, Edna!" he began, smiling a bit, "How nice to see you."

"What's up? Why aren't you with the car?"

"I was already there and took a quick look at the situation. The battery is dead."

"And there's nothing you can do?!" I began worrying.

"That's not what I said." he frowned, "I think I'll be able to recharge the battery."

I smiled, "Great! What exactly is your plan?"

"I'll charge it with positive energy."

I paused before speaking, "I see...positive energy, is it? Well, yeeeeaaaah. Hmmm, that's...phew."

"You have to have faith, Edna. How can I accumulate the necessary positive energy without faith?"

"Isn't there any other way?"

"It's either positive energy or staying here."

"Nice spot you've picked out." I said to him, looking at where he sat.

"Yes. There is no better place to meditate."

"Why not?"

"The zen garden provides me with cosmic energy, but it's not flowing very well today. The stones are not vibrating in tune with me."

"Can I help you in any way?"

"If you can manage to get the stones vibrating in unison with me, I'll definitely be able to charge myself with postitive chi much faster."

"Whatever that means!" I shrugged. "I'll be on my way."

"See you later."

With that, I used the rake, smiling, "This is the perfect place for my rake."

I quickly and struggling put each stone to exactly like I saw the fingerprints on the TV earlier. I mean he made those prints to let me look for some reason after all.

And afterwards, when they were correctly in line, I fixed up the garden to make it look like I was growing something, but I wasn't.

"Wow!" I spoke in amazement, "it emanates an incredible calm now."

The man then looked at me as I pointed, "Hey Alu, what do you think about the pattern that I raked?"

"What?" he spoke in shock.

He looked at it closely. He looked at it carefully, then started to smile.

"That is...it's...THIS is exactly what I needed. It vibrates in unison with my chi! I feel the energy flowing into me!" he spoke, pointing, "You go ahead to the car. I'll be waiting there."

I smiled, going off to the car with Aluman following. In the garage, the men and I watched Aluman looking at the car. It has to work after all.

"Can we get started now?" I asked him.

"I need a jumper cable. Do you have one?" he asked.

I showed the cables from the ground, speaking, "Would that be of any help?"

He nodded, "That is exactly what I need."

The five of us watched as the hood was lifted before the electricity was clamped. Aluman removed his gloves, clamping his thumbs with hands risen up. I couldn't believe he was surging with so much electricity.

Just then, we heard the motor running. It worked!

"The motor is running! It really is!" The Key Master grinned.

"What did you think? Of course it's running." Aluman spoke firmly to him.

"Edna...now it's your turn again." The green man spoke to me. "You need to find a way to open the main gate."

"Cigarettes? Chewing gum?" I asked the men.

"Gum would be nice." Hotti said to me.

"I'm on it." I told the men before finally, Harvey and I were off.

It looked like all was going according to plan. I'm just glad that once we get out of the asylum, I could prove my father's innocence and this whole thing would be a thing of the past.

***Harvey's POV***

I looked at Edna dragging me to the main gate with scissors in pocket. If we were gonna escape, she HAD to improvise after all.

As I continued hanging on, Edna entered the room, then I watched her distract the guard and hide in a locker with me still hanging on. It was cramped, but at least we were safe for the moment.

After the guard left his post, the two of us went upstairs, opening the gate and Edna cut the wires so there was no way it would close.

As that happened, the guard came back and saw what we did, looking upset at what happened. But that didn't matter...Edna and I escaped as he tried to close the gate, though unsuccessfully on his part.

As soon as we left, we saw Hulgor, whom had escaped the closet, looking stunned at the opened gate. Ha, served those jerks right. Finally, we made our way back to the van before we saw Motti's arm snatched Edna and me away from it.

Afterward, we hid as we watched Hulgor and the guard hurrying to the garage we weren't in with the van on and lights active.

I was really confused. Why get our escape vehicle and not bother taking it with us?

Just then, I got my answer: The Key Master broke the window to Dr. Marcel's car, sounding the alarm before opening it.

It was official: The van was actually a distraction escape vehicle! The real one that we were SUPPOSE to escape in was Dr. Marcel's all along.

I grinned as we entered with the six of us quickly making our escape in the car.

As soon as we were far enough, the Key Master, driving at the wheel, asked us, "So, where are we destined for?"

Happily, I said, "RRRRIO DE JANEIRRRRO!!!"

However, Edna looked seriously as she said to him, "I want to go to my father's house. There must be some clues there about what REALLY happened back then. Something that can exonerate my dad and reveal Dr. Marcel's evil ploy."

I began remembering as well, nodding, "That's also a good idea."

I mean at the time Edna was clinging to me, I was about to almost forget why we were breaking out in the first place, but hey, that's what happens when someone like me doesn't speak as much all day.

"I'd have to know where exactly this house is." the Key Master explained before pausing a bit, "And how one operates this thing."

How to what-?! I thought as I began realizing in horror.

The others began realizing in horror as well as what we just realized: The Key Master doesn't know how to drive!

The car began swirving and whirling as he turned the wheel the wrong way with the entire vehicle and us in it crashing!

Finally, all that I could see was one thing: darkness.

(End of Chapter 8)