Other Fan Fiction ❯ Edna and Harvey: The Breakout~A POV Story ❯ Home and Horrifying Truth ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 10: (Home and Horrifying Truth)

***Edna's POV***

It was a long journey, but we finally made it.

"Home...finally." I said with a bittersweet tone.

"What now?" Harvey asked.

I looked around, explaining, "I can remember things...but just little details. I used to set ants on fire in that flower bed over there. In this pond, I used to blow up frogs. It all feels smaller than it used to. Let's try to get inside."

I then began looking with a hopeful look, "Then we'll look for my room. I used to write a diary...maybe it's still there. I'm sure I'll be able to remember everything with that."

I glanced at the door, then the statues of those garden gnomes, pondering, "Hmmmm, locked. I think my father always hid the key in one of these gnomes."

I broke many gnomes before destroying the last one, finding the key in it. It was always in the one you try last. Maybe they'll be of some use now after all those years of misery.

I picked up the pieces of clay and went to the door.

"I can hardly wait to be back home, finally." I grinned.

However, when I tried to use the key in the front door, the key broke off, making me frown a bit.

"Oh no! It's broken and stuck in the lock now!"

I had to get the key out, and probably make the key like I did with the master key. And I think I knew how.

Going around the yard, and also arriving to the basement where I got locked at sometimes, I began going around the areas and explore the house ruins, trying to find pieces to help me make a master key that not only unlocked the door, but also unlocked my bedroom.

At one point, I smiled at the picture of myself on my father's desk, leaving it where it was.

Going around, remembering things from my past or at least what I could, I was smiling and I eventually made my own house key, which I now could use to unlock my old bedroom.

"Yippee! My own front door key! My father didn't want me to have one." I spoke with a bit of glee.

"That was to prevent you from escaping your room. After all, the same key fits the lock of your bedroom too." Harvey spoke.

We finally approached the door to my bedroom, unlocking it. It was official: I could now go and find the evidence I needed.

When we entered, I looked around, sighing with a bit of a nostalgia. It was good to be back at my room, even though everything looked to be in ruins and such.

"This really IS my old room. I've made it at last. The only thing I need now is my diary."

I looked at Harvey, continuing, "Do you remember where I used to keep it, Harvey?"

My rabbit began pondering, "Strange. This memory is still hazy. But I think with all these items here, it should be easy to tempomorph to the past one last time."

"Oh yeah. We'll just hide the diary some place where I'll be able to find it in the present."

"OR we could just have a look at it right away."

"Even better! What are we waiting for!? Let's go!!"

The rabbit nodded, "All right, then. Hang on."

Finally, in a bit of a flash, the two of us tempomorphed back into the past. When I awoke, I noticed myself in my past bedroom with Harvey watching and my father glancing at her.

It really WAS my past after all...

"I can't believe it. What am I doing wrong with you? Putting a lizard down the back of poor Alfred's shirt." he said to me, frowning at what I did, "Is this the way I raised you?"

I began snickering, "Right, I can remember that. My dad grounded me."

"As if this door could ever contain us." Harvey spoke quietly.

"We're only interested in the diary, Harv!"

At that moment, a familiar boy came in, shouting, "MR. KONRAD! MR. KONRAD!!"

"Great." I spoke dryly.

"The return of the moron," the rabbit frowned.

The man turned to Alfred, asking, "What's the matter, Alfred?"

"Will you punish Edna now?" the boy asked him.

"I was about to do that. Yes."

"She has to be severely punished. The monster bit me in the shoulder." he continued, turning away, "I won't be able to play the violin ever again!"

"Rest assured that the punishment will fit the crime, Alfred."

"I hope so. My dad says your disciplinary actions for reprimanding this...hyperactive lunatic..."

I grinned, looking at him, "Thanks."

"...are politely put...insufficient!" Alfred finished.

The father pondered, glancing, "Oh, so that's what he says?"

"We should use a scorpion next time." Harvey whispered quietly.

"If you don't mind, I would like to keep watch personally...just to make sure that her full penalty is served!" the boy spoke to him.

"Go ahead." Mattis said to him, nodding, "And now come out of here, please."

Finally, we watched both leave, locking us in my room.

"That stinking little weasel." Harvey frowned a bit.

"Just ignore him. Let's just try to find the diary." I explained, trying to make him remember our mission.

At that moment, I noticed my diary on the desk, going to it and saying, "Hey! There's my diary!"

"Well, that's what I call easy. It's not like us to catch a break." he shrugged.

"Finally! I'll be able to remember!"

"Yipee!!"

I looked at the pages, then noticed the date on the final current entry of the book, realizing, "Wait a second...when WAS this murder that my father is supposed to have comitted?"

"The reverend said something about the 3rd of August."

I began worry, pointing to the date, "According to the diary, THAT'S TODAY!! You tempomorphed us back to the day of the murder!!"

He looked worried, speaking, "Oops."

However, I began realizing something as I spoke, "No, no. This is in fact very good! Now we can prove his innocence first hand. We'll just have to find him and never let him out of our sight. Let's get out of here! Finally, we can prove his innocence!"

I was glad and I would be happy to know that my father would be cleared once I show proof to the proper authorities.

***Alfred's POV***

She had to be locked in to serve punishment. After all, she put a lizard down my shirt. I mean what was wrong with her anyway?

She wasn't always that picky on me when we were younger. I should know because I use to be childhood friends with her and that stuffed rabbit of hers.

We both had some things in common, though, like a loss of mother and having no one else around as well as being picked on at school...but ever since my father gave me some special treatments that were good to me, Edna started hating me.

I guess I couldn't blame her. Why would ANYONE want to stay friends with a girl who takes her being bullied stuff out on me anyway?

At that moment, I heard knocking noises, shouting, "What is it?"

I looked annoyed, opening it and snapping at the girl with rabbit, "Stop it, will you?!"

I closed the door, still guarding and waiting. She was REALLY getting on my nerves.

After a few moments, more knocking was heard. What the heck was she trying to tell me?

In annoyance, I entered the room, shouting, "Stop it or..."

However, to my notice, I saw no one around.

"Hmm? Hey! Where did she go? Did she climb out the window?" I spoke to myself.

I went to the opened window, looking outside. However, at that moment, I heard footsteps, noticing Edna with Harvey about to escape.

"Hey!" I shouted.

Before I could go after them, the two locked me in her room.

Ugh, that was just great, I thought, how can my day get any worse?

***Harvey's POV***

I saw Edna locking the door, then speaking to me, explaining, "Okay. We better split up to find Mattis. I'll look upstairs and Harvey, you look downstairs."

"And if I find him?" I asked her.

"You come and get me, of course."

"All right." I nodded.

I began to depart from her. However, there was something wrong. Something itching in my head.

I looked back, looking concerned as I asked, "Um...Edna?"

"Yes, Harvey?"

"What if Mattis really IS a psychotic killer?" I spoke out of fear.

"Don't be ridiculous, Harvey." she frowned, "Mattis couldn't hurt a fly."

"It was...just a thought."

I finally walked downstairs, going to the ground floor. However, I wasn't feeling like my usual confident self.

"I didn't want to admit it to Edna, but I'm a little scared." I said to myself with worry.

I know Edna said otherwise, but I really WAS afraid...afraid that Dr. Marcel and the public would be right about him.

I looked at the stuffed moose head above, asking, "Do you know where I can find Mattis? I bet you wouldn't tell me if you did."

Then, I went into the living room, opening the door as I looked out the back porch window, noticing, "Is that Mattis out there?"

I tried moving the glass, though nothing happened. I mean I guess they locked it.

With that, I went to the kitchen. However, when I entered, I noticed, at least when I saw it, a crazed Mattis stirring a pot with a child inside.

It looked horrible.

In fear, I darted to the stairs, screaming, "AAAAAAHHHHHHH!! EDNA EDNA EDNA!!"

One of the room doors opened with Edna arriving, asking, "What's up, Harvey?"

"It's Mattis! He's making soup out of children!!" I explained to her in fear.

I know it sounded crazy, but I saw it with my own eyes...did I?

"I don't know what you mean..."

"I mean exactly what I just said! Mattis is the killer after all!"

When Edna came downstairs, I grabbed Edna, continuing, "Come on, let's go!"

However, when we entered the kitchen, I saw nothing. No one was in sight. It was starting to get confusing.

"But-"

"What's going on? I don't understand one single word." Edna asked, entering with me.

"But...he was here. He was standing at the oven and-"

"Cooking children." she frowned, "Don't you realize how ridiculous that sounds?"

I began realizing as I said, "I...I must have been mistaken."

"Just go on looking, okay?" she frowned before departing.

"What's going on here?" I spoke, scratching my head a bit.

Afterwards, I looked down to the basement, then gasped in horror, watching Mattis insanely shoving a girl into a furnace!

"AHHHH!!" I screamed and shouted, "EDNA EDNA EDNA!"

Edna frowned as she arrived, speaking, "What now?"

"I'm certain this time!" I shouted in fear, "Mattis is burning children in the furnace!"

Edna only sighed, "No, he's not, Harvey."

I quickly grabbed her, shouting, "Come with me! I'll prove it to you."

We arrived to the basement, looking around and noticing it empty.

"This is..." I spoke in confusion, "I don't get it."

Were my eyes or mind playing tricks on me or something? Just what was going on?

"Are you all right, Harvey?" Edna spoke with concern. "I'm beginning to be more concerned about you three."

"How can I be so mistaken?"

I looked at the window that led out of the basement. Maybe he was outside, I thought.

"Can you lift me up a little?"

"Sure."

The girl helped me to the window as I clinged on. However, what I saw was horrifying: Mattis cutting a child to pieces using an electric hand saw.

"AHHHH!!" I screamed with tears of fear.

"What is it this time?"

"I...I...I don't know yet..." I began crying, "it was Mattis again."

"Come on, we'll all have a look."

We both came out of the basement together, then looked around, noticing no one there.

"See? There's nothing there." she spoke, then began wondering, "I think we'd better call the whole thing off."

What? Was she serious?! Now, out of all times when she could've done so at any point of today?!

"It was an exhausting day." she continued, "I might as well wait 'til tomorrow to restore my memory. The tempomorphing doesn't seem to do you any good."

However, I wanted to go on. I wanted to help Edna's memory get restored...and not just hers...but mine as well. I want to go on, even if it means me seeing more of...

Finally, I gulped, "No...I'll manage. Let's keep on looking."

After all, if there really WAS some truth out there, I rather face more fake images of Mattis than leave knowing that I couldn't help either of us.

Finally, I went to the back, noticing Mattis bowing down to what appeared to be Satan himself on the patio table!

"AHHHHH!!!" I screamed, darting back to Edna and rubbing my eyes in agony, "Help me, Edna! I'm hallucinating!"

I started crying. The more I got closer to the truth, the more I started becoming more feared at the paranoia about Mattis' status. I couldn't take it. I just wanted to...

"What did you see this time?" she spoke dryly.

"I saw Mattis AND the Prince of Darkness and they-"

Just then, she heard something as she spoke, "Wait a second...are those voices? There really IS somebody on the porch! You stay here, I'll go have a look."

I looked at Edna departing to the back porch. I hope whoever was out there wasn't going to hurt her.

Slowly, I listened carefully at the conversation, hearing Mattis and the doctor speaking with my hearing range. It was a good thing I was a rabbit or I wouldn't be able to hear what was going on.

I could hear Mattis speaking with delight, "I think the two of them would make a nice couple. I could well imagine a future for them."

"Your daughter and my son?!" I heard the shocked tone from the evil doctor, "Hah! One would have to recondition her thoroughly. Edna lacks all respect and is full of defiance."

"But aren't you on the verge of a breakthrough in the field of...what do you call it?" I heard Mattis say.

"Correction of Character! That's exactly what your daughter needs!" Marcel spoke, making me frown a bit.

"After one of those treatments, there might still be a way she could..."

I heard him stop before continuing, "Oh um...could you excuse me for a moment?"

Then, I saw Edna arriving back with me hiding. I watched as the father and daughter talked together, making me concern.

After all, Mattis is like a dad I thought I WOULD have if I was human and I was Edna's brother.

"What's this all about, Edna? You know full well you're supposed to be in your room." Mattis frowned to her.

"I know, but-" Edna began before being interrupted.

"No buts! The doctor is right! You're in serious need of a Correction of Character."

"Please, don't Dad! I don't want a-"

"We'll speak about this later. Right now, you go back to your room!! I'm pretty mad at you, young lady!"

Mattis began departing before continuing to her, "And by the way, try being nicer to Alfred, will you?"

Finally, Edna angrily departed to where her bedroom was as I followed. When we arrived, I frowned a little, still a bit peeved on being near Alfred.

"Nicer to Alfred? Pffft! Huh! Don't make me laugh!" I frowned.

Edna angrily turned to me, snapping, "Shut up, Harvey! It's all your fault, after all! What were all those lies supposed to mean, anyway?!"

However, I began pondering, starting to figure out, "I've been thinking it over...and basically, it's pretty simple. It's not MY fault at all. I'm just a figment of your imagination, remember? So why wonder if I'm a little...well, inaccurate every once in a while? Especially when it comes to observations you couldn't possibly have made yourself."

She frowned as she snapped, "Inaccurate is something different to completely and utterly absurd!"

"Are you mad at me now?" I began worrying.

If she was, then I guess I could understand. I mean I didn't know WHY the hallucinations were playing tricks on me, but I...

Finally, Edna sighed a bit, petting and hugging me, "Oh Harvey. I can't be mad at you."

Just as we neared the door, we heard the door unlocking. Just then, to our notice, Alfred came out of the room, making her gasp in fear.

At that moment, I yelped, gagging, "Aaack!!" just as Alfred snatched me up, going near the stairway as he pulled me.

"Ha-ha! Got you!" Alfred shouted, pulling me hard and violently.

I grunted, starting to feel pain as I shouted, "WAAARGH!! He's strangling me!!"

I grunted in more pain, feeling like parts of my fabric were starting to rip to pieces. What was Alfred trying to prove by ripping me apart!?

"Alfred! What are you doing?!" she spoke in fear, "Give Harvey back to me!!"

He only scoffed, "You'd like that, wouldn't you?!"

Tears began forming as she continued in fear, "Please, Alfred. I'm really sorry...I...I...I've made a resolution to be nicer to you in the future!"

"Stop pretending!" he shouted to her, "You're not the least bit sorry, you little monster! You're completely crazy! Not only do some of you try to kill me with lizards, you also talk to that rag doll rabbit! Now you're surprised, aren't you? I've read your diary!"

She gasped in shock as he continued mockingly, "Harvey this and Harvey that...and Alfred's always the stupid toad, isn't he? But that will soon stop! I'll tell it all to my dad and they'll take that stupid rabbit away from you!!"

I grunted, starting to choke as he spoke more cruelly, "They might even lock you up in dad's asylum with the other loonies! That's where you belong in my book! EDNA TALKS TO HER RAG DOLL RABBIT! EDNA TALKS TO HER RAG DOLL RABBIT!"

Edna shouted with worry and tears, "Please, Alfred, don't!"

I struggled, trying to reach while choking, "Help me, Edna! He's hurting me!"

"What'll I do!?" she began crying, making me worried.

I wanted to reach to Edna, to comfort her, but I couldn't do anything. It was like it was deja vu all over again...just like...

I looked back at the stairs, memories starting to return to me slowly with parts of those that were hazy starting to come back to me. And I knew there was going to be one thing to do...and I would regret it when I made that decision...

Finally, with a heavy reluctant saddened sigh, I simply told her, "Push him."

"WHAAAAAT?!" she asked in confusion.

I started feeling myself tearing a bit more as I continued, panicking and in fear, "Push him! Just push him! PUSH HIM DOWN THE STAIRS!!"

I closed my eyes as I said that, a tear shedding from my eye as the crying Edna screamed, jumping and pushing Alfred, forcing him to release me. Both of us fell downward, me about to hit the floor and Alfred's head, instead of the legs as what I was actually going for, about to break just as the tempomorph powers finished and me with Edna went back to our timeline.

***Marcel's POV***

So Edna had to go back, to try to solve the mystery. But I know that she wouldn't like what she remembered. And that was why I knew where to head to...

I opened the locked door, breaking it before I entered, glancing around the place. It was more filthy than I had recalled.

Afterwards, I began heading upstairs and as I did, I heard the familiar voice speaking with sorrow, "Oh no. Now I can remember everything! It was me who killed Alfred! It...it was in the heat of the moment!"

It was Edna. She found her way after all. Figures she returned to the scene of the crime.

Finally, I arrived upstairs, noticing the girl and the stuffed rabbit clinging to her hand as she continued, " I couldn't let him take Harvey away from me..."

With a firm glare, I told her, "Yes, it WAS you! You killed my son! Your father took the blame to protect you! I promised him that I would take care of you."

I fixed the smoke from my pipe, continuing, "But I only saw one way of doing that. I tried to create you anew, like a blank sheet of paper on which to start a new story, to erase all your tomfoolery!"

I blew some smoke rings, glancing, "I nearly succeeded on many occasions, but you always found a way back to your memories."

Finally, I glared at the Imaginary Friend, the stuffed rabbit whom Edna clinged to, pointing as I glared, "It's only now that I understand the root of the problem. Your rag doll rabbit Harvey: He is the anchor that moors you to the past. If you destroy him, you can finally life in peace without guilt."

After all, if she continued clinging what remained of her mother, then she would never better herself and become my adopted perfect child.

I finally looked at the rabbit, whom was actually moving and clinging in fear, speaking, "Don't listen to him! He'll destroy everything that is you! All your creativity! All that fun!"

I rolled my eyes as he continued, pointing, "Look! He's standing in the exact same spot his son was! Just a little push and we'll be free at last! He's the only one who knows of our guilt!"

However, Edna began worrying as she spoke to herself, "Oh no, what will I do?"

I waited patiently for an answer. What her answer would be would change everything.

(End of Chapter 10)