Other Fan Fiction ❯ Magic Rifts ❯ My Name is Justine ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Magic Rifts
Rated PG
OUAT Fanfic
Rumple/Belle pairing

Chapter 1: “My name is Justine.”
By Justine Heart
Mr. Gold stood outside his shop, looking grimly at the passersby.
“All for nothing,” he grumbled as he turned into reenter the shop. He sighed as he closed the door and went about his usual daily chores. “I still feel it would be more normal with Belle here,” he continued to mutter to no one in particular. Suddenly, the bell on the door clamored for his attention. In front of him, a very out of breath Sherriff Swan stood wide-eyed in front of him.
“And what the hell do you want, Miss Swan?” Gold asked through gritted teeth. Emma just stood there, mouth open but no sound coming but heavy breaths. Gold’s angry stare changed to confusion. “Emma, what’s wrong?”
“Gold,” Emma said, finally finding her voice. “There is something you need to see at the town line. I can’t describe it to you. You just have to see it to believe it.”
“Can you try to explain it?” Gold asked, suspicious.
“There’s this girl. She looks a bit beat up, but its her face. It looks so familiar.”
“Like someone from your past?”
“More like someone from our present, and she emanates power. More than mine.”
“Power?” Gold asked, finally intrigued.
“That would get your attention,” Emma sighed shaking her head. Gold looked at her with his suave smile.
“But of course, dearie,” he nearly chimed, “but let’s see to this girl.” Picking his overcoat off the counter, the two left his shop briskly in her patrol car.

As they reached the town line, the usual suspects seemed to come into view, including Belle and Henry.
“Hey guys,” Emma shouted to the crowd. They all turned. “Give the girl some air.” Gold and Emma made their way up to the group.
“She’s awake now,” Regina said, eyeing Gold warily.
“I thought you said she was powerful,” Gold asked Emma, ignoring Regina’s attitude.
“Regina put a relaxation spell on her,” explained Emma, “after she attacked us.” Gold looked Emma and Regina over. Surely signs of an attack were present on Regina, but Emma seemed relatively unscathed.
“Gold,” Regina said, “this power is more than I or possibly you have ever encountered before.”
“I highly doubt that, dearie,” Gold said with a smirk, “but let’s see what we truly have here.” Gold turned to look at the girl, but a soft voice with a sweet accent caught his attention first.
“Be careful, Rumple,” Belle practically whispered into his ear. Rumple smiled without turning to her. When he caught sight of the girl finally, he noticed what Emma meant by a familiar face. A woman in about her late 20’s early 30’s with auburn brown hair. As he continued to advance, he was astonished by her wide blue eyes. Emma wasn’t kidding, she is familiar, thought Gold. But not just familiar; she looks just like Belle. The girl stared straight at Gold, not blinking. Then she smiled a ruthless grin, sending a chill down his spine. He gulped hard, but kept marching toward her.
“Mr. Gold, I presume?” She asked in a smooth deep voice, the tone sounding like a cathedral bell.
“Yes, dearie,” he said only slightly warily. Belle was now walking up to both of them. Gold held his hand out for her to stay behind.
“Ahh good,” said the young lady. She stood in front of them, her clothing a little modern for the time. A white jacket type top, and white leather pants. She also wore white gloves and white shoes. “I was almost afraid I went to the wrong time.”
“Wrong time?” Belle asked. Gold was silent as he took in the possibility.
“Uh yea,” the woman said, scratching her head nervously, “see I am definitely not from around here. I came back to the past to stop some big bad from happening and keeping certain people from getting together.” She kept staring at Belle, the ruthless smile still on her face. Belle looked down to avoid her.
“So you’re back from the future?” Gold asked tentatively.
“Yep,” the girl said, her smile now more inviting and sweet. More of the group joined up. Suddenly Gold noticed blood on the girl’s forehead.
“Dearie,” he said, “you seem to be bleeding quite badly.”
“Oh that,” the girl said, nonchalantly, “don’t worry about it.” Moments later, the cut and the blood were gone. There were oohs and ahhs from the crowd behind. Gold gulped hard. Power, much power.
“Are you alright, lass?” Hook piped up from the crowd, now also walking towards the girl.
“Just fine Killian,” the girl giggled. Hook looked surprised.
“So magic is used in the future?” Regina asked, trying to sound calm.
“About as much as it would be in this time,” the young woman said, “I don’t know maybe more.”
“Well it would have been a very powerful spell that brought you here, dearie,” Gold argued.
“That is if it were a spell at all,” she quipped.
“Not a spell?” Emma asked, joined by her parents.
“No actually, it was a time portal… a machine though. We learned how to harness the power and put it into a machine.” The girl now seemed to lose her confidence and looked sheepish. “Okay well that is enough of that.”
“Well you have yet to introduce yourself to us, and yet you seem to know who all of us are?” Snow said, her impatience showing.
“Oh I didn’t?” She asked. “Where are my manners? My name, is Justine.” Gold and Belle just looked at each other, then back at the girl.
“Who?” asked Belle, finding her throat completely dry.
“Oh no,” Justine said with a laugh, “not her. But I am named after her.”
“Really?” asked Gold. He shook his head in disbelief. Justine just stared at the couple. “Yes really, Mr. Gold. You and Belle weren’t able to fulfill your vow so you gave the name to my parents to give to me.” Belle seemed to accept the answer better than Gold, but the minute he touched her hand, he didn’t doubt her at all. It was as if a spell came over him. He would be her willing slave.
Back in the Enchanted Forest…
“Rumple,” Belle complained, “stop moving so fast. I keep tripping at your pace.”
“Be glad I’m not flying, Dearie!” The Dark One snapped at his young servant.
“Beast!” Belle grumbled. Rumple smiled at her struggle to keep up. Soon they were coming upon the town.
“Here’s some money,” Rumple said in a commanding tone, and tossing a coin purse to her, “buy me some straw.” Belle sighed at his rudeness but did as her master commanded. As she entered the town, a girl approached Rumple.
“Some matches for you fire, mi lord?” she asked weakly.
“I don’t need matches,” he said, “go away, you filthy urchin.”
“Please sir,” the girl begged softly, “I am so hungry and cold. This gets me money for food and shelter for a night.”
“And I should care about you why?” Rumple quipped. But he felt a small bit of power emanating from her, which got his attention. Belle was now standing by them fuming.
“I’ve had it with your cruelty, you monster!” she yelled. Rumple looked at her with alarm. Belle continued to speak softly to the young girl. “My dear, you must come with us. I insist.” Even though Belle was his servant, Rumple wasn’t going to anger her anymore. Reluctantly he conceded.
“Well if you are staying with us,” he said, sneering at the filthy youngster, “we might at least know your name.”
“If it pleases you sir,” the match girl said, “my name is Justine.”
Back to Storybrooke…
The whole town seemed to congregate at Granny’s, wanting to find out who this new arrival really was. Justine didn’t seem to mind, and answered most questions that were asked of her. Belle and Rumple seemed the most interested in her. On the outskirts of the crowd, a familiar group had formed.
“So what do you think of this new girl?” Regina asked Mary-Margaret.
“Honestly, Regina,” Mary said, “I know there is something I don’t trust about her, but I can’t put my finger on it.”
“Glad I’m not alone,” said Regina, relieved her old enemy was in agreement.
“She should be watched,” David said wrapping his arms around his wife, “something tells me she is up to something.”
“I felt that too,” Killian added. “I sensed something dark about her. Darker than the Dark One.”
“Since when do you sense magic, Hook?” asked Regina.
“Not magic, majesty,” revealed Killian, “plain intuition. You can sense it because you were once dark, as was I.”
“Then shouldn’t Gold?” Regina asked.
“Aye, ma’am he should. Though, it seems as if she has him under some sort of spell.”
“Killian?” Emma called.
“Coming love!” Killian answered, making his way to his girlfriend through to swarm of people.
“Let’s let Emma know what we think of her,” Regina continued.
“Maybe we should let her draw her own conclusions,” Snow suggested. “In the past we force our ideas on her and she usually does her own thing despite what we think or say.”
“Maybe standing on the sidelines is your idea of a good time,” Regina said angrily, “but I for one am for letting my thoughts be heard.” With that, Regina turned on her heeled boots and proceeded to leave the diner. Before she reached the door, Justine called out to her.
“Wait! Regina!” she shouted.
“Yes Justine,” Regina said, pretending to smile at the young woman. I really just wanna flame you to death, she thought.
“Where ya goin’ in sucha hurry?” Justine asked, innocently.
“I have to get home, and get some sleep,” Regina said excused herself as politely as possible. “And I don’t do well at town parties anyway.” Justine seemed to sulk.
“Well darn it, I really wanted to talk to you,” she pouted.
“Maybe another time?”
“Okay, but you promised, okay?”
“Yea sure,” Regina replied and quickly pushed through the door and briskly walked down to the sidewalk to her home. Justine watched as the former evil queen left, smiling sinisterly after her. As she turned toward her seat with Gold and Belle, she changed her expression to that of extreme innocence.
In the Enchanted Forrest…
“Belle,” Justine said, “you make a wonderful stew.”
“Well, its nice to know at least someone enjoys my food,” Belle said, giving an irritated look at Rumple.
“Is it my fault that I can manifest my own food?” He asked innocently. Belle gave him a sidelong glance and continued to focus on their guest. “How long have you been a match girl?” she asked the hungry girl.
“About four or five years now,” Justine admitted candidly. Belle looked at the girl with astonishment. Rumple just sat back. So that’s what she was hiding, he thought. She’s really older than she looks.
“So you have nowhere to live?” Belle asked. Justine nodded.
“Sadly,” Justine said, “after the orphanage threw me out, been selling matchsticks to buy shelter and food. Up until tonight that is. Speaking of which, I must be going. I will just be in the way if I stay here any longer.”
“Nonsense,” retorted Belle, “you are staying here, Justine.” Justine and Rumple stared at Belle and then at each other. Justine smiled nervously. “As long as my master doesn’t object.”
“I have learned not to argue with you when you set your mind to something,” The dark one said backing down. Belle smiled.
“Belle, really this is too much,” Justine said.
“Rubbish, you will stay here as long as you need. I would be happy for some company. We can always use another servant to help around this place.” Justine decided it was best not to argue. Belle walked down the hallway, happy to make a new friend and puttering about finding a suitable room and night clothes for the young lady.
“I must apologize for my servant,” Rumple said softly. “She doesn’t get many guests.”
“Its really quite understandable,” Justine said, not holding back her compassion for the young woman. “Seeing as she really is very lonely.”
“Did she tell you that?” Rumple asked, sensing that faint power growing again.
“She didn’t need to,” Justine explained as she faced him smiling, “I could feel it.”
“You could feel her loneliness?”
“Yes, sir. But only because I am an empath.” Rumple’s eyes widened and he smiled his devilish grin.
In Storybrooke…
Belle was leaving the diner towards her apartment over the library. Emma dashed after her.
“So Belle,” the Savior asked her, “Justine seems to be forming a bond with you and Gold?”
“Mainly with Rumple,” Belle said sadly, “she practically held the conversation and all he did was stare at her like a lost puppy finding its owner. Frankly it was sickening.”
“I take it you don’t have a good feeling about her?” Emma asked. Belle gave her a “are you kidding me?” look. “I’ll take that as a no. Well that just confirms my suspicions anyway.” Belle stopped walking and turned to the other woman.
“Suspicions?” the auburn haired woman asked.
“She’s not here to help,” Emma explained. Belle still seemed confused. “Super power, remember?” Belle nodded with understanding and continued walking slowly.
“So this girl is supposedly named after someone you used to know in the Enchanted Forest?” Emma asked continuing along with her.
“Yes,” Belle admitting, holding back the emotion badly.
“What happened to her?” asked Swan.
“She died. That’s the short and simple version.”
“And the longer version?”
“Isn’t up for discussion.” Belle interrupted. Emma backed off. As the two women were walking, the subject of their conversation was quietly following them.
They think I don’t know what they’re talking about me, the young woman thought to herself, but they have no idea what I am capable of. As she followed, she thought of a bunch of rabid dogs, foaming at the mouth thirsting for blood. As she thought, the animals started to manifest. Belle and Emma turned around at the sound of growling and snarling. Belle looked on in terror.
“Really?” Emma whined. Taking out her gun, she shot at one of the animals.
“Bang!” rang a gun shot. The animals proceeded to advance slowly on their prey. Justine, who was watching in hiding, smiled with evil glee as she tormented the two women. She wouldn’t attack until the right moment. Emma gulped. “Seriously?!”
“Run!” Screamed Belle. Seconds later the monster dogs were leaping at them.
The Enchanted Forrest…
“You’re horrible, Rumple!” Justine shouted at the Dark One. Belle looked up as Justine ran into the room, crying her eyes out. She went to the young woman, to soothe her. Rumple came in and leaned against the doorway, concerned for the young apprentice.
“What is the matter, Justine?” Belle asked looking at Rumple. Sighing Rumple entered the room, at a loss for words. Yet another woman he didn’t understand was making him feel things he wasn’t used to and it made him very uncomfortable. All he could do was look at the figure sobbing in the chair.
“He won’t teach me his darker magic!” Justine cried, sending a stinging glare in Rumple’s direction. His heart ached to see her in such pain.
“It’s for your own good, Jussy,” Rumple tried to explain to her.
“Why don’t you just teach her, Rumple?” Belle asked.
“I can’t believe I am saying this, but for once, I don’t want to corrupt a good soul. “ Belle gave him a shocked stare, but smiled.
“Justine, Rumple usually has his reasons for what he does,” Belle said trying to soothe her again. Justine shot her an angry glare.
“I need to learn dark magic though,” Justine explained through angry tears, “in order to protect my power from being stolen.”
“Rumple she has a point,” Belle agreed.
“You won’t need protection as long as you stay here with Belle and me,” Rumple said, kneeling next to his servant and his apprentice. Awkwardly, he rubbed the woman’s back, not understanding why these women affected him so.
“Why won’t you teach me what you taught Regina?” Justine sobbed.
“Because I need her corrupted,” Rumple admitted. “She is the lynch pin in my whole plan.”
“It’s not fair!” Justine screamed as she jumped up. “If you won’t teach me, maybe she will.”
“She won’t even give you the time of day, dearie,” Rumple tried to explain calmly. His patience was wearing thin, but he was still going to let her come to her senses.
“We’ll just see about that!” And she disappeared in a yellow puff of smoke. Rumple looked at the space stunned and defeated at the same time. Belle, on the other hand, was growing angrier by the moment.
“How could you let her leave in that manner?” she practically demanded. Rumple just stood there for a second, in stunned defeat.
“Well,” he said, in his usual smug demeanor, “I didn’t expect that. Oh well, now that’s over with let’s get back to other things.”
“Not so fast,” said Belle, now on her feet and her arms across her chest, “we are going to look for her.” Rumple just looked at her, astonished at her brazen independence.
In Storybrooke…
The women were now backed up against the library entrance.
“Help us!” Belle screamed. Suddenly, Rumple was outside running toward his wife, shaking off the enchantment that was blurring his vision.
“Belle,” he cried, “hold on! I’m-“ but he was interrupted by Emma’s quick thinking and she destroyed the wolves with a power blast, stopping just short of Gold.
“Rumple!” Belle cried in relief. He came up to her and embraced her lightly.
“Are you alright?” he asked, stepping back quickly. Nothing seemed to be physically wrong with her. But he knew her being alone was not a good idea. “Emma, take her to your parent’s place. I think I know where this came from, and you might need to lay low for the rest of the night.” He kept his eyes on Belle, even though she broke his gaze. She’s still not totally comfortable with me, he thought amused. But she still affects me.
“You know what caused this?” Emma asked. Gold only had to give her a look, and Emma knew to get out of there. “Belle, come on. You need to be around friends right now.”
“What about Rumple?”
“I’ll be there soon, I promise.” Belle looked at him now, tears stinging her eyes from the fear. He lightly stroked her face before she left, under the savior’s arm. Once they were out of sight he surveyed the area.
“That wasn’t very nice, dearie,” he called to the darkness. Justine poked her head out from around the library. Smiling wickedly, she slowly walked out to confront him.
“Well nothing says making a splash like some terror,” Justine said, smugly. Suddenly her outfit changed to that of a long yellow and orange velvet and mesh dress, with a silk maroon train. Rumple nodded in approval to the change.
“Showing your true colors, are you?” Gold asked.
“You show yours, don’t you, Gold?” Justine asked back.
“Maybe you shouldn’t have attacked my wife, at least not on your first night here?”
“Not that it really matters, but it was a bit of fun.” Gold have her a stern look.
“Well you will be closely watched, from now on.” Justine just smiled and disappeared.
“You never fail to disappoint,” she whispered in the air, and cackled. Rumple realized now that he left the diner without his overcoat and went back to retrieve it. Now, having realized he had been bewitched, he now sought to figure out how. After getting coat from Granny’s, he went to check on Belle at Mary Margaret’s.
In the Enchanted Forrest…
A few days later, Justine had not returned and Belle was frantic. Rumple hated seeing her this way, which made him wonder if Justine had been correct all along. Shaking it off, Rumple finally decided to look for the girl.
“Really?” squealed Belle, happy to get her way.
“Only if it will get your chores done,” was Rumple’s excuse. “This place is a pigsty. All this dust.” Belle smiled with compassionate smugness.
“I knew you were worried about her,” she gloated.
“I just want my servant back is all,” Rumple lied. But he had to admit, he did worry for his apprentice. Moments later, Belle was ready and they left in a cloud of blood red smoke.
In the town, was a blizzard of large proportion, so Rumple held Belle close. She smells so nice and feels so warm, he thought. Shaking off the distraction, he held her tighter.
“This blizzard is so thick,” complained Belle, “we’ll never find her.”
“I have an idea,” Rumple said, and suddenly the storm around them froze in mid-air. “Now this should be easier.”
“Ahh, yes,” agreed Belle, “much.” Belle started walking around the streets and alley ways. Finally she was about to give up hope, when she saw a familiar faded red cloak peeking out of the snow. She ran over and gasped in horror. Justine lay, practically frozen under an open window. Her blue eyes glass like in her time frozen state. Belle called for Rumple to come, and soon enough they unfroze her from the time spell.
“Oh Justine,” Belle wailed as her young friend continued to lose warmth. “Why did you leave like that? What were you thinking?”
“E-e-easy,” Justine stammered, “I w-w-wasn’t. I went to Regina, and she sent me away like you said she would. W-w-well now I am paying my price of my rashness.”
“I can heal you,” Rumple said, feeling more emotion for her.